home

Author Topic: End Times help with which books to buy  (Read 1494 times)

Offline wealdmaster

• Members
End Times help with which books to buy
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
I am considering to start collecting the end times books but not sure which was first released or the chronological order.  Also, there seems to be hardbacks, softbacks and collectors editions.  I like the good stuff but not sure if it's worth it to buy the collectors editions and if they are available in all 5 sets?

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: End Times help with which books to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:33:02 PM »
Get Nagash - its a classic. Glottkin is the worst of the series and easily skippable. Khaine was an interesting read and worth it if you like Elf background. Thanquol is my second favourite - I love Skaven fluff and it has a lot of races in it. Archaon was a disappointing story, but it is the finale so probably worth getting for completion.

I'm happy that I have the entire set (because it is a collection), but I doubt I'll read any of the books apart from Nagash and Thanquol.

No idea on the collectors editions - I guess the hardcovers are collectible enough by now (especially Nagash) ;)
cheers,
Lee

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 11:13:14 PM »
There are 5 books from games workshop. In order they are:
Nagash  Glottkin  Khaine  Thanquol  and  Archaon.
Each title has 2 books, the story, then the stats book. If you are buying on e-bay make sure you get both books.

Then there are the Black Library story books.
Book I  Rise of Nagash.
Sigmar's Blood. [very expenses for what is 3 battle reports and not needed to understand the main story.]
Book II Fall of Altdorf
Gotrek and Felix Kinslayer.
Book.III Curse of Khaine.
Tales of Malus Darkblade. Deathblade.
Book IV. Rise of the Horned Rat.
Gotrek and Felix Slayer.
Book V. Lord of the End Times.

Books 1 to 5 follow the main story line. If you want to know how Archaon rose to power you need to read Archaon Everchosen, then Archaon Lord of Chaos.

The shame of all these books is that there are many holes, questions left unanswered. Discrepancies in locations and characters. Having said that I found all but one to be a good read.

Offline KevinC

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 04:31:05 PM »
Warhammer: Nagash was totally awesome. I was thrilled when this came out.

The other four are cool in their own right. The resolution of the Elven civil war was really good.

"These princes try to tell me how to wage war, and seek to advise me on how best to rule my people. They are dolts and dullards, and it is a wonder that with such cretinous commanders your armies ever held against mine."
– Malekith, Phoenix King of Ulthuan