home

Author Topic: 6th ed - starting replaying the best edition  (Read 28208 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
6th ed - starting replaying the best edition
« on: August 26, 2018, 10:02:56 PM »
Hi all, been a while since ive posted in this bit of the forum.

My local games club have started playing 6th ed again with about 20 players involved. This is great news for me as i loved 6th the best. I played loads for games and tournaments during 6th ed and meet lots of the old skool members of this forum then doing so.

Ive got my first game tomorrow night so i have been sorting through my old models, which got shipped to the loft with the end times destruction of a last, bad edition of a game i loved. They sre scattered over many boxes, and come caked in layers of dust. I have also had to re learn rules, as best i can in a couple of hours. Hopefully its like muscle memory and itll all come back to me.
Ive struggled to get to grips with the stat lines and defence balance. Ive been playing lots of 8th ed 40k since it came out and a lord level character only having three wounds is scary. However, its a different balance from a differnet time, you dont get attacked if you kill everybody touching you. If i remember, its about static combat resolution from deep units and killing from the characters. The good old days of the Village idiot style list, if any of you can remember him. Mounted characters leading massive infantry units with self supporting battalions. Search for it.

However, this time round, im using my warriors of chaos army. It in better shape than my empire forces, though ive had to mend quite a few guys stil. Also a much smaller model count. The lord of tzeentch on disc and 18 chosen warriors on foot is very nearly 1000pts, half an army. The hordes of chaos is such a bland book. No monsters at all just warriors, marauders, hounds and spawn. Oh, and daemons if thats your thing.

Anyway i promise to get a few pictures tomorrow so you can all reminisce the good old days of 6th, also my list and a quick report. Hopefully this should be a start of a running thread and get me to re construct all my different empire province armies.

There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
Re: 6th ed - starting replaying the best edition
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
That's good to hear, 6th edition truly was the golden age  :happy:

A little plug though, if you like the TVI style of play, it has become entirely valid in the latest versions of T9A. I'm myself committed to making it work, and better players than me have shown that it can be done.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »
Awesome to think that 20 folks are going to do this! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

I'd need to relearn the rules before I play any WFB. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:51:46 PM »
Oh man the glory days of the TVI lists. I remember those, usually with some twitching. At the time I was playing mostly dwarves, and I got to listen to my usual Empire opponent tell me all about it as he slaughtered my poor, brave Dawi.

It was a good strat.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 12:15:17 AM »
I thought 6th ed Hordes of Chaos had Chaos Ogres, Trolls and Dragon Ogres in it? I remember Dragon Ogres being a serious menace...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members

So why you complaining!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 07:57:35 AM »
Those were in the 6th edition Beasts of Chaos AB.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 07:18:57 PM »
So envious of your chance to re-live 6th edition!  Glory years of playing for me.  Although IIRC my Countessa's army was 0.500 at best.  Still that was fun.

On another note.  Chaos?   ::heretic:: ::heretic:: Burn the Heretic!! ::heretic:: ::heretic::  (do we still do that, I'm rusty)
Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
Game was played last night and was as much fun as I remembered to play 6th. I loved it! Here is my battle report as promised. Lighting isnt great im afraid. I faced a O&G army which consisted of
Orc warboss on Wyvern
Orc level 2 shaman
Goblin level 2 Shaman
Orc BSB
20 Orcs
10 Orc boar boys
3 Trolls
40 Common goblins
2 goblin chariots
4 goblin bolt throwers
2 x 5 wolf riders with spears
10 wolf riders with spear, LA and shields with command

Army

Exalted Daemon - Painted in a 3am late night session the day before, just ilke going to a tournament!

Exalted champion of Tzeentch on Disc with golden eye (3++ against all shooting)

5 chosen MoT knights with war banner, 20 marauders and 5 hounds

17 Warriors and 20 marauders

Spawn, 5 hounds, 2 x 5 marauder horse with javelins and spears.

Deployment
Chaos

O&G

Turn 1 O&G went first
No animosity or stupidity for orcs and general advance. The bolt throwers were super acurate in the early turns and killed a knight and two marauder horse, who ran off the board. Shamen 'eadbutt'd the knight champion and killed him.
I just advanced, kept the marauder horse behind a wall so chariot couldn't charge them and tried to set a trap in middle. Daemon flew off to flank to scare off wolf riders with Terror. I moved my exalted champion general a bit far away from my main body of army and didn't cover it all with his leadership

Turn 2
Boar boys fail animosity, but rolled a 6 and move forward then charged spawn along with chariot. Orc boys unit also failed and squabbled. Large wolf riders charged knight and got themselves smashed and ran off a mightly 17", with knights in hot pursuit. Bolt thrower wounded daemo, but rolled a 1 for number of wounds fortunately One unit of wolf riders fled off board with terror, but other held.
Trolls took the bait and charged and wiped out hounds while the chariot ran over spawn with its impact hits. The boar, mistakenly, chose to overrun and roll massive and got them self exposed, with flank facing the warriors. Chariot over ran into marauders. The warlord flew over my lines ready to cause some terror tests of his own
In my turn the daemon declared charge against wolf riders who fled, then redirected into bolt thrower, which also fled. Knight charge the big unit of wolf rider who were fleeing and chased them off, redirecting into orc shaman, killing him easily, and overran into bolt thrower.. Marauder unit ran away from wyvern, after failing terror test. Warriors charged boarboys who fled and redirected into trolls. Magic caused 9 wounds on goblins with green fire of tzeentch. This makes them all hit each over. And a few wounds on wyvern. Warriors completely fluffed attacks against trolls and only got through 1 wound after regeneration. Trolls killed three with vomit. I won combat but they passed break test with BSB re roll. Marauders won combat with chariot with musician, who also passed test to stand with generals leadership, and lapped round. Exalted charged goblin shaman and killed him, giving me magic superiority

Turn 3
Goblins flank charge warriors fighting trolls, who pass panic. Boar boys rally. Wyvern flies back to middle of board to control my flying character. Bolt thrower bags a marauder horseman. Knights kill crew and have a massive overrun through woods towards new one. Orcs panic. My warriors fluff again, killing one gobbo, even after BSB hero moved to fight them, and not hurting trolls. They break and are run down letting gobbos capture BSB. Marauders continue fighting chariot, winning again and further lapping it. Bolt thrower kills a knight
The knigths charge and kill the next bolt thrower crew. Marauders kill the chariot. I continue the magic barrage, but didn't achieve much. Other marauders charge orcs and make them flee. Maruader horse bait chariot and boar boys

Turn 4
Turns went quite quickly now so its a bit of a blur to ill summise both halves. The knights killed the last bolt thrower. The chariot dies to magic, boar boys lose half their number to a blue fire magic missile and gobbos once again lose 8 to green fire and flee, never to rally. Marauders see off orc unit. Wyvern moves away from my character and tries to scare off knights and remaining marauder horse but they pass. I moved characters to blast boar boys and charoit.

Turn 5
I have moved the characters to close to wyvern, and just in his arc and get charged. The exalted champion flees but daemon has to take the charge. This will decide the game. However, both side completely fluff attacks and i lose by one to outnumber and pass break test. in my turn the exalted champion rallies and marauder horse charge into help daemon but fail to hurt rider as he has a 1+ save. Daemon managed to cast orange fire, which is full re rolls on himself and proceeds to slay the wyvern and general auto flees to a fear causing enemy wrapping up the game.

A narrow victory to chaos! the game was a blast and we had to look up loads of rules, but considering i've not played that rue set for 10+ years it was all still in there and we both had a great time. There were two games of 6th on, and a game of 3rd Ed WFB!

Next game in two weeks, either going to take my DOW or an Empire force you'll be pleased to know. I the mean time i've got a new chaos BSB to paint, after using the unit standard bearer of the warriors as one and his pathetic performance the punishment of the Tzeentch for it.

So why you complaining!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
How much fun is that?!
I started in 6ed and that felt completely natural. Excellent report. Back then the only BR’s I had to read was in the WD. Did not know of online community at the time.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:14:56 AM »
Liking this.  :smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
I like it! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 03:24:42 PM »
Following this, a blast from the past!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 02:06:43 AM »
Loving this. 6th Edition was the main one I played for years. I think I got into the hobby around 5th edition, but didn't really play games or read rules till 6th started. I still remember glory days of sniping the vampire count general with ballista's and cannons, only for him to rush my army before crumbling away.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 07:08:43 AM »
Let's do this next bash guys.
Back to what happened at the very first one. Everybody plays 6th....
Some for 1500 points, others for 2000. Sometimes even at the same battle....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
Like the time you took 3000ptd of ogres against my 2000pts of WoC :roll:

Totally up the it at the next bash!

I’m going to use my DOW in the next game, they are really bad in 6th with out a rufus special army list to help them.

So why you complaining!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
Another reminder for me to get a frickin' passport. :icon_lol:

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
Like the time you took 3000ptd of ogres against my 2000pts of WoC ::)

Totally in good faith, and we only found out by turn 3 or so.... good times...

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
 :::cheers:::

So why you complaining!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 10:17:16 PM »
Got another game tomorrow. I’ve been asked to take a chaos list against his Empire. He wants to use his witch hunter he has just painted up.

I’ve decided to try a monster mash army. All undivided.
Lord on foot gift of gods (4++)
Sorcerer on foot with dms and spell familiar
Bsb on foot with crimson armour of dargan
18 warriors with Halberd and shield full command, mark of tzeentch and war banner
3 x 5 marauder horse with spears and musician
2 x 5 warhounds
6 trolls with extra hand weapons
3 dragon ogres with gw
Chimera with flaming breath and regeneration

I’ll get another report up after the game.

So why you complaining!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »
I look forward to seeing it.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
Ended up playing tie games last night in 3 hours. My opponent conceded turn three in the first and turn four in second. I only took pictures of first game so I’ll share those. Second game we were just trying to get through.
His army was empire
Wizard lord - fire
Level 2 - metal
Level 2 - death
Witch hunter
14 knights F.C.
20 swordsmen F.C. two 5 man handgunners dets
20 handgunners
3 cannons
Hbvg
5 pistoliers

A classic gun line with a big block of knights.

Deployment

Turn one empire goes first
He doesn’t move up except pistoliers and swords men with dets on my left. All his wizards are out of range of their spells more or less as I deployed half inch behind line. I set it deployment dice at 11.5” to catch him. Cannons did three wounds to a dragon ogre, kill a troll but missed chimera due to misfire.
My turn it’s a general advance, marauder horse change pistoliers, two die to Stand and shoot and other three get killed in combat. Not good. They kill two pistoliers. I set up trap with hounds in middle and chimera and horsemen on flank.

Turn two
He falls for trap, hounds flee. Dragon ogres lose two to cannons and flee. Chimera survives cannon hit. Magic kills a few and other shooting only kills one hounds on left
My turn I flank charge knights with chimera, horsemen run off cannon crew, other hounds charge hand gunner det
Chimera kills four knights, runs them down. Charging straight across into middle of empire army for panic tests then terror test at the start of turn three. Game over

Mortal of the story; 1) don't fall for obvious traps and, 2), even with a gun line army don't remain static and let your opponent dictate the game.

As it was only 9pm, we resent the game and played again. No pictures, ended in a similar way, cahso lord and warriors beat the knights and marauder horse in the flank ran them down. Much closer game though, I lost the trolls, DO and Chimera. HBVG exploded in a pathetic way. As we all know, the empire army need the leadership of the EC or TGM and gun line armies need cheap chaff and Pegasus captains to throw out and slow down the enemy to give all those lovely shooting units a chance.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:12:42 PM by FR1DAY »

So why you complaining!

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
Ah yes, empire gunline armies. Not a great matchup for a chaos list! Still, the small arms fire could actually do something against infantry units in 6th edition, when they were usually between 15-30 strong. Shooting crossbows at 50 strong 8th edition hordes was largely pointless.

Great to be able to read warhammer battle reports again! Any more games on the horizon? Looking forward to a DOW report, I've always loved that army. Wish they'd got a proper army book in 6th, 7th or 8th.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »
Thanks black knight.

Game planned for every other monday.  Playing 40k on the other Mondays . The guys have also started playing on Saturdays as well but i tend to be busy; kids!

Ill run the DOW next time. They arent a great army, core units cost to much. The chaos list i took was a little strong i think to the stanard and level of play. I struggle with being too competitive tbh.

So why you complaining!

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
I struggle with being too competitive tbh.

Really ?
Couldn't tell...