home

Author Topic: Anyone here ever get into Epic?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Anyone here ever get into Epic?
« on: August 05, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »
Epic was my first love in table-top gaming. I was aware of the 40k universe in High School but wasn't really sure what it was about. Sometime after I saw the 2nd edition in stores and I was thinking of buying it, when a sales guy offered to sell me his Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine collection, with a ton of models and White Dwarf magazine articles supporting the game. I didn't understand till later that it was an older ruleset but I am glad I got it. It took me weeks to digest everything, but I was blown away. I loved the 1st edition so much that I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to play 2nd edition. And while I admit that 2nd edition is easier to learn to play and even what I introduce newer players to myself, I still love AT/SM1. There is a lot of game in the original rules, let alone all that came after it.

Like everyone else, I shunned Epic 40k when it came out, except for the amazing models. Over time I took a crack at it and had to admit that the Epic 40k box set is one of the best boxed games ever made, just in terms of what you get. Not my favorite rules, but it had some interesting concepts.

I was on the Epic Armageddon playtesting team and exchanging emails with Jervis Johnson, but I really didn't like the direction he was taking and predicted its failure. Really disappointed with those days.

And of course the new Adeptus Titanicus is dumb too. Models too big, and maybe there will be a point where they introduce troops and vehicles, but I think the titans are too big. I guess when you make models that big, the only way you can make the game interesting is to make them complicated to move, and those mechanics don't mix well with units that don't have those problems. I know the models are popular, but they should have made them half the size. We used to play games involving a dozen titans, with infantry and tanks mixed in... Man, those were the days.

I have collected everything for Epic over the years and its the one game I know the most inside and out.

Any other fans here? Which edition?

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Anyone here ever get into Epic?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
No one has played this game?!?! Sheesh. I was hoping I could talk about some Epic.

Lame!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:44:50 AM »
I use to have some old Epic models but I never got into the game. I'm not a fan of the scale and there was never much of a community where I was.

I'm somewhat interested in Titanicus, but it has all the same problems for me. I kind of like the idea of some kind of mech combat (I was huge into MechWarrior), but if I went for a mech game I don't see a reason to go for Titanicus instead of whatever the Battletech game is called.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 05:10:04 PM »
I did back in the 90's when it came out but sold the army a few years later ..man I wish I would have kept them  :dry:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:51:59 PM »
I recall seeing pictures of these, yet not sure I'd want to paint something so small.  I find it hard to even be motivated to paint my 15mm WW2 Germans.  Although I do have some 15mm Cossacks that I primed for By Fire & Sword late renaissance gaming that I'd like paint some day.  And there are two small sets of 8mm French and British for the Napoleonic era that I'd like to get around to at some point as well.  But I digress ... lol.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
I've never played, but it looks pretty... epic.  :-D