home

Author Topic: Kislev!  (Read 28851 times)

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: Kislev!
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 03:16:36 AM »
Just some cool plastic kossars, lancers and griffon legionnaires, maybe some plastic characters.
I would definately get a small force.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »
Ya... I have seen/read many of the kislev books. There is something about them that I don't like that much, I really don't know what it is... they just feel off...

But I am with you. If GW did re-release them I would buy them...
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline scurrdi

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »
I would buy a new Kislev book and force in a heartbeat, as I have like 3k points of pure Kislev...

The codex needs to be revamped and revisited, but I've found that by using Kislev as a main force and taking Empire Allies I can create a pretty fluffy and still relatively competitive army. The Kossars are the most frustrating part, since they have some nice abilities (allows stand and shoot) but don't really benefit a lot from them in large blocks. Smaller blocks of Kossars aren't effective use of the Boyar's special ability, so you really can't use both to it's fullest potential.

I'd love to see the Urskin the Bear (or some variation thereof) as a mount for a Lord Level Kislev Character though!

Offline warfish70

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »
I have a kislev allied contingent. (VERY ASTONISHING MODELS)
It consists of:

Tsarina Katharina (The Ice Queen)
Tsar Boris on bear
2x boyar
36x kossar (FC)
15x Ungol Horse Archer (FC)
12x Winged Lancer (FC)
19x Gryphon Legion (FC)

I play it for 6 years now. (Either with an empire (Middenheim theme) or Brets army)

It has some HUGE advantages...... and some disadvantages.....

1st of all, if you use the tsarina in your contingent she uses MASSIVE points (500), BUT!

- You can use level 4 ice magic! - very surprising for your opponent.
- ALL CONTINGENT UNITS are STUBBORN
- You have TWO generals! (One from the main army and one from the contingent.....)
- The CONTINGENT can use the 12'' rule from BOTH armies (The main force only from the main general)
- 0-1 Restriction of the Gryphon Legion is lifted (Which means you can use them ALSO as DoW - if you don't use Bretonnia)
- Ungol Horse archers (Fast cav) HAVE BS4!!!! (cheapest fast cav in the warhammer world)
- Kossars have STAND and SHOOT (Which means they can defend TWICE when being charged!!!)
- Winged lancers and gryphon legion have glorious charge rule.... (When charging in front, it IS like from the flank... - You'll get the FLANK bonus!!)
  (Now imagine you use the GL in the front and knights from the flank.....- you have a DOUBLE flank bonus  :-P :-P :-P :-P)

Disadvantages. (According to the GW Rules - NOT unofficial ones....)

- It consumes MASSIVE points (mostly to Tsar or Tsarina and i prefer the tsarina)
- Kislev DOESN'T have rare units
- Kislev DOESN'T have artillery
- Kislev CAN'T be used as main force - ONLY as a contingent.
- It can't use DoW

I use the contingent ONLY in a 3000+ battle... but THEN it can make a difference... :laugh:

What they do to kislev in the 8th edtion; we'll have to wait and see....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:08:17 AM by warfish70 »

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »
Did they truly just drop Kislev in 8th edition? :(

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:43 PM »
I hope not. But it can't be too much of a problem in friendly games I suppose. Then again, I don't know the 8th edition rules, so perhaps their special rules are now completely outdated. (especially glorious charge IMO)

Offline Jivaine SkyWing II

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 02:55:36 PM »
I think that with the Kislev army, they should make some of the units either Special or Rare for a regular empire army to include them.  If the army is led by the Tsar or Ice Queen then they can become core / regular for example.  They went through and made this really cool model range for them, and then just stopped talking about them really.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »
Kossar get Light Armour....

As mentioned Winged Lancers/ Gryphon Legion cause fear on the charge instead of panic...I wouldn't mind seeing some slightly different rules/stats to differentiate between Lancers and Legion

Shield option for Ungol Horse archers

Well, we all want Kislev back, don't we ;)

I'd keep the rules the same, with the following changes:

- Kislev kossars and boyars are armed with axes (+1 Str)

- A Boyar may not take a handgun or a pistol

- A boyar costs 60 points

Any other suggestions?

So are you just suggesting the Kislev axes are inessances Halberds instead of GW? I have no problem with the pistols or handgun, it would be a sign of status to having a firearm instead of a bow. I would put the Boyar at 65 points like Mr Carloff said
Why in heaven's name is a Boyar 90 points, while an Empire captain is (and was in 6th edition already), 50 points?!

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Did they truly just drop Kislev in 8th edition? :(

There's no mention officially, but maybe all hope is not dead cause Kislev does get a mention in the rule book blurb on the Empire in the bit on Knightly Orders where it talks about Kislevite Cavalrymen keeping plate clad bears. It's a possible link to Forge World stuff being released, the same section talks of demi-gryffs and on eof those has been recently release there. You never know.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
Sigh, I want a kislev army.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:55 PM »
I don't understand why GW dropped the Kislev thing, I suppose because of lack of sales, or maybe too many humie armies. But there's always plenty of interest in all things Kislev on W-E.com and if anything goes up on ebay it always goes/sells very well with lots of interest.

Kislev was hamstrung by a half-assed set of rules.  Having to take them as part of an empire army was bad enough, but it was even worse that the units weren't very well designed.

The one comment I heard over and over again regarding Kislev, was that the models were awesome but the rules sucked.  Having a very limited and pricey model range probably didn't help either.

Somewhere along the line GW decided they didn't want any more human armies, and that Empire and Bretonnia were enough.  I find that to be poor reasoning, since there are THREE kinds of elves, and at least 4 chaos armies (Warriors, Demons, Beastmen, Skaven). 

Sadly though, Brettonia is not a particularly popular army so it is unlikely we'll see another human army like DoW or Kislev return any time soon.  I think we'll see the return of Choas Dwarves before we see any other new armies, since the darker grittier CDs have been so popular.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

callmesnake420

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:08:06 AM »
I think empire greatswords should get str 4, i never find that they stand up to enemy elites as well as they should,  plus they cost alot of money and arent as good as other armies models of equal price. if inner circle knights and elven elite units(gag) can get str 4  then greatswords should have it,  i mean it is a 6 foot long piece of steel

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 12:27:32 AM »
I was just on the Mirliton website and found these 'Horse Raiders of the Steppes' in their Fantasy Humans range - perfect Kislevite cav.

Praag destroyed multiple times ?
 No prob, the real life equivalents of Kislev didn't fare much better.
Moscow, Kiev, Kazan, etc. were overrun by horde after horde of Goblins, erm, Mongols for centuries.
Poland has been ripped to shreds between Germany and Russia more times than anyone cares to count.
The map of central Europe east of Vienna has changed so many times - even very recently - printing maps with the new borders is almost pointless....

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »
Well, we all want Kislev back, don't we ;)

I'd keep the rules the same, with the following changes:

- Kislev kossars and boyars are armed with axes (+1 Str)

- A Boyar may not take a handgun or a pistol

- A boyar costs 60 points

Any other suggestions?
Hello Obi. My suggestions are a Boyar costs should be a 65-70 pst. He got Stubborn.
Stubborn is worth 15-20 points? (Empire captain is 50).

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2011, 12:29:16 PM »
GW being all about the money started WAY before 5th.........
I'm no economist, but the logic of just dropping entire lines of minis still escapes me.
Ok, so Chaos Dwarves, Dogs of War, Kislevites et. al. may not be the best selling miniatures in your arsenal, but there are satill people out there who will buy them.
I personally know several people who have quit the hobby entirely because their favorite army was retired.
I guess this is the interstate rest stop mentality: If you don't like the nfood/coffee/gas prices - leave.
There are already 5000 suckahs lined up behind you who'll gladly take your place......

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
What I also don't get, in Ravening Hordes and 6th edition an Empire Knightly Order Knight is 23 points (ok, 24 in RH). A Kislev Winged Lancer was 15 points in RH with Leadership 7 and light armor and got 24 points in the Kislev Army Book with Leadership 8, heavy armour and Glorious Charge.

So is lacking full plate armour and a barded warhorse but including Glorious Charge justifying the fact that a Winged Lancer costs 24 and a Knightly Order Knight 23?

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
I was in my local hobby store recently and I (over)heard these two guys talking about gw releasing new DoW, Kislev and Araby armies.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 11:34:57 AM »
I was in my local hobby store recently and I (over)heard these two guys talking about gw releasing new DoW, Kislev and Araby armies.

Huh, I was in my local today as well and heard vamps were the next army in jan

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
I think at least one of the guys was an ex gw store worker

Offline The Chosen of Sigmar

• Members
  • Argentum Non Habemus, Aurum Sed Valemus
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
For my thoughts they may bring Kislev back. It could be a nice complement for Empire or on their own:

Lords: Druzhina, High Sorceress (Ice Magic is a women's thing, otherwise beast, shadow or life)
Hero's: Boyar, Sorceress (Ice Magic, baest, shadow or life)
Core: cossars (shortbow + great weapon), streltsi (halberd, handgun), cossacks (scimitar: sword with armour piercing & buckler or shield), ungol horse archers, cossack riders (mounted, spear & shield, fast cav), winged lancers
Special: esauls (heavy armour, bear cloack for extra save against shooting, halberds, stubborn), gryphon legion, some light artillery
Rare: War Wagon, here it comes... As all 8th edition armies seem to get some kind of monstrous infantry or cavalry: polar bear riders!!!!

I know I would use them...
Argentum Non Habemus, Aurum Sed Valemus

The Knights of Bayard - The Money Wolves - The Green Knight

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 04:26:31 AM »
Sadly though, Brettonia is not a particularly popular army
It's because all the Bret army consists of is four near identical types of cartoon knights, and rubbish peasants. Boring to look at unless they're themed, boring to play as and against, and boring to paint. They're like the Necrons of Fantasy.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline finngoalie

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »
Kislev will never see it's own book. It would've been nice to see them included in 8th ed Empire somewhere. But as I posted elsewhere, the author of our newest book doesn't even know this site exists.....or chooses to ignore any and all input. And I am a fan of Kislev. So much character there that could've been maximised by GW, and they've missed it....but our models have become cost prohibitive for the normal player.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2012, 11:29:15 PM »
I have a Tzar and Tzarina as well as 40 Kossars. I used to have a ton of cavalry and regret trading them away. If it wasn't so expensive I would consider using those models in an Empire army.
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline finngoalie

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2012, 07:30:24 PM »
Way back in the good old days, when you could actually buy bitz individually, I bought 20 of the metal feathered banners. When 7th ed pistoliers came out I did a unit of 10 winged lancer conversions and 10 Gryphon Legion. Envision pistoliers with empire knight arms and the old metal winged back banners. My girlfriend is of Russian decent so I made them up for her to go with the old Tzarina model (but she's mounted on Bretonnian "Green Knight" horse.....again, bought when bitz were truly bitz). The only positive I've seen is the sculptors have gotten better over the years.

Offline burdigala

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
from france

modhein can had a few ccharacters and warmaster have a more units. you can build your army on this.
if you attack the empire the empire strikes back