home

Author Topic: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety  (Read 18871 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Gankom's Painting Blog of Random Variety
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2018, 11:35:05 PM »
I like "em! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »
Woo just finished a fairly big painting binge and actually got a decent mix of things painted. Excuse the terrible pictures as always, and C&C welcome. Let me know what you think.

First off, we have a Priest of Ulric. By far one of my favorite models of all time. Wish I could do it better justice.

Next up we have this wizardly figure from Reaper. I tend to use him as a necromancer, named Johann Faust because it seemed traditional. I have some half baked ideas to do a bit more coloring on his robe with different reds to add some depths, but this is table top enough for me. Reapers Bone's line is normally very good, but this guys face was a bit flat. Not malformed, but not the usual details.

Then we have an old kitbashed militia. He's been sitting around for a few years and sadly my green stuff skills have never been fantastic so boy can you see where it was put together. Still, for just another face in the ranks I think he's fine.

and finally we have another Reaper figure. This time a dwarf ranger. I quite like the sculpt myself and it was fun to paint. I might add a bit more camouflage to his cloak at some later point.

and that's today's update. I've got some reaper giants in the queue that I want to spend a fair bit of time on. Really do a good job and do them justice. In two weeks time I'm planning on picking up Soul Wars (Or possibly one of the smaller ones) and really try and crank it all out.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
Priest looks good! :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »
Woo! More models painted means more janky pictures for everyone! I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I even use a little tripod thing! The pictures look fine on the screen, half the time even in the phone gallery, but then I transfer them to my laptop and suddenly the quality is terrible. I blame technology and the moral decay of the youth.

First up are some Reaper giants. They were just an absolute pleasure to paint, even if I feel I could have done a bit better. Don't stare at the fire giant eyes to long, it'll make you go crosseyed.

Introducing the frost giant Fasolt and fire giant Bolthur.

The giant's were part of my July goals in the 2018 Painting Goals thread! Huzzah for actually completing things! Which is the same for the next things.

Part of the August goals, first we have two Stormcast Sequitors.

It's hammer time baby!

and includes my Sequitor Prime, Torvi Ghoulhammer. It's nice to see some of the female stormcast models. They're noticeably female without being ridiculous.

Finally I have two janky picture of some Glaive wraith stalker. The souls of hunters who have been fused with their mounts as some cruel parody of their former lives. To add to the insult, where as their previous lives were fast and agile, their new undeath has them incredibly slow but unstoppable.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2018, 03:59:42 AM »
looking good my friend  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2018, 04:30:07 PM »
Not sure how I missed these additions. Looking great. I love the giants. That ulric priest is awesome.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:38:35 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate it! Got a bit more done yesterday so might have some more pictures soonish.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 12:10:37 PM »
Amazing looking models. These Norse Giants are friggin' intimidating, and I love the old school Ulrican Warrior Priest (that's actually Emil Valgeir, the Ar-Ulric from the SoC timeline). :::cheers:::
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
Some of September's painting goals finally able to be showcased. Although sadly it seems the evil team has been ascendant on the painting table recently.

Let's start with the greatsword thug! Another one of Reaper's bandits, one of his buddies was seen here earlier.

Next up some bloody members of the Goretide, led by their slaughterpriest Zhukas the Impaler.

I'm still a big fan of the chaos models from the first AoS starter set. They're quite big compared to normal humans but they have a much better barbarian feel then the older marauder models. I originally planned to paint them all far more uniform, but at this point I decided to just try different colors each time.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »
Quote Gankom: I'm still a big fan of the chaos models from the first AoS starter set.

I agree. I was never a fan of the chaos models till AoS. Now I think they are super
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2018, 08:07:28 PM »
Nice work!  I really like the Norse Giants from your August posts (I'm a bit behind).
 :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

I do love those giants. I'm normally not a fan of big models. I spent years making my armies JUST infantry and artillery. No cav, no monsters, nothing. Now I'm branching out a fair bit and really enjoying painting big stuff like the giants. I've got 3 or 4 different one's to do as well, so expect more sooner or later.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on that Reaper Ranger. I seriously feel that this is one of the coolest, non-GW minis that I ever saw.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2020, 03:24:31 AM »
Huh, I really thought I'd updated this more recently then 2018! But anyways, some new pictures to add in! Woo for finally getting something done, and more importantly, actually took pictures of them.

First up, a group shot of some Stormcast. The general has been finished for awhile really, but I did some touch ups, added some wash, and finished the base.

Close up of the retributors. Dudes are angry, someone invaded and now they're missing out on cardio day at the gym.

Shitty image of some Liberators, but its the thought that counts right?

Then next we have a Mantic Salamander (I'm not particularly fond of the model, fairly low quality IMO) and a High Elf Handmaiden. I was going with a winter theme, and purposely didn't do much of a wash because I want to pick up a nice deep purple or blue that would fit perfectly I think.

Terrible pictures for the terrible picture gods!

Hopefully more pictures coming soon! I have a chance in the next few days to get some boxes out to reorganize and figure I'll take some pictures while I'm at it.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2020, 03:45:43 AM »
Found some more pictures I took back in March 2020 but apparently never uploaded. Better late then never!

Lets start off with some Nighthaunt Ghosties. Honestly the Nighthaunt are some of my favorite of the new fantasy models.

A bunch of heroes and some white lions, really just a random assortment of stuff I did.

White Lions and a vaguely Greek inspired Elven Lord.

Another shot of the mix.

The Dwarves are marching to war!

and two Norse barbarians come to pillage and plunder.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2020, 04:10:59 AM »
quite the menagerie. The dwarfs are my favorite.

(and somebody needs to tell that Norse he'd regret beating his drum with that implement)
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
(and somebody needs to tell that Norse he'd regret beating his drum with that implement)
What could possibly go wrong with that? :closed-eyes:

Looking good Gankom :-) A lot of different themes and armies going on around here.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2020, 10:57:56 AM »
Love your Stormcast. Everything else as well.  Liberators are my battleline units. Love that Relictor. Favourite SC for fluff.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2020, 03:48:30 PM »
My painting process is very... eclectic? Sometimes I'll pick a unit and do it all at once, but 90% of the time I just grab a dozen totally random figures  and go "Eh, lets do these."

I like to imagine the Norse guy saves his weapon for the enemy, hooks them and pulls them closer to use their heads on the drum. Fits the Death Metal image current day Scandinavia has.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2020, 12:45:47 PM »
We'll just say ya hibernated during 2019! :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Your stormcast look good. Tell them when they return to the gym, mask will be required these days!  Of course they already have those ... lol.

Speaking of which ... think I mentioned elsewhere was tempted by the Warcry Stormcrud box, think it is because I can see faces without masks, will wonders never cease? Plus I like the cool eagles the set has, and the poses aren't bad either.

By the way, like the High Elf, as well as your take on the nighthaunts.  Does that stormcrud eternal standard dude come with the skull head :icon_question:

And my painting process pattern is along the same lines.  Sometimes I stick to one thing for awhile, yet almost always moving around from one project to the next.  Plus, if I have left over paint on the palette, I look around for something else to use it up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 12:48:26 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Its always good to see different colour schemes. You don't always have to paint the model the way its depicted on the box.
Don't feel bad about blurry photos. I couldn't take a decent photo to save my life.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2020, 04:22:39 PM »
We'll just say ya hibernated during 2019! :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Your stormcast look good. Tell them when they return to the gym, mask will be required these days!  Of course they already have those ... lol.

Speaking of which ... think I mentioned elsewhere was tempted by the Warcry Stormcrud box, think it is because I can see faces without masks, will wonders never cease? Plus I like the cool eagles the set has, and the poses aren't bad either.

By the way, like the High Elf, as well as your take on the nighthaunts.  Does that stormcrud eternal standard dude come with the skull head :icon_question:

And my painting process pattern is along the same lines.  Sometimes I stick to one thing for awhile, yet almost always moving around from one project to the next.  Plus, if I have left over paint on the palette, I look around for something else to use it up.

Apparently hibernating is pretty accurate! I wish I could hibernate through 2020 instead.

I think you'd like the Stormcast GP. I have to say, I find them a real pleasure to paint. Bigger, better surface area, nice details but not an overwhelming amount of it. I'm not a huge fan of the metallic colour schemes, but I've seen some done up as more traditional knights real good. The Banner guy is actually a hero model, kind of like a wizard priest and he does come with that skull helmet. That model is the push fit guy from the first AoS starter set.

I'm a big fan of Stormcast without helmets, I think they look way better when you can see more of the human parts.

Its always good to see different colour schemes. You don't always have to paint the model the way its depicted on the box.
Don't feel bad about blurry photos. I couldn't take a decent photo to save my life.

Thanks Rowsdower! In a way I don't feel bad about blurry photoes, so much as low frustration that this phone has the best camera I've ever owned and I still can't get a decent shot! My brothers the photographer. Dude whips out a camera, half heartedly takes a few snaps, and they look amazing!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2020, 06:10:40 PM »
Buy a light box, or make one. Never use the flash. Test with different light settings (exposure or something in photography language).

Gets you decent photos very easily.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2020, 10:49:49 PM »
Valten the Exalted has been painted for a Discord challenge!

I'm not super happy with him honestly. Armor turned out like how I like, but his hair and the horse to a degree not as fond. Might repaint in the future.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2020, 12:37:00 AM »
Painted mine twice without ever being happy with him. Maybe it's the model?  :wink: