home

Author Topic: Anthropology, Archaeology, and Ancestral Hominids ...  (Read 8146 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Anthropology, Archaeology, and Ancestral Hominids ...
« on: February 07, 2018, 01:03:33 AM »
So it seems that homo sapiens left Africa sooner than previously thought ...

https://www.seeker.com/culture/the-out-of-africa-story-of-human-migration-is-undergoing-major-revision
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:23:28 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Humans Out of Africa Sooner Than Thought Before ...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:54 AM »
Get out of my head GP! I was reading this same thing just a couple hours ago.

It's certainly an interesting development.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:55:45 AM »
The entire topic of early hominids into homo sapiens has fascinated me since I was a kid.  When I heard this on PBS, decided I'd google and share.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:32:22 AM »
Very cool👆
The fact that a bunch of hominids were running around is fascinating.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 03:43:23 AM »
whatever, we all know they all came from cone headed aliens  :closed-eyes: like a million years ago
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
You can be a coneheaded alien!

Everyone knows the Neanderthals defeated them coneheads only to be backstabbed by their cousins the homohomos.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »
The homo's stabbed them in the back? That is just a homophobic tribadi.. euh diatribe!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »
whatever, we all know they all came from cone headed aliens  :closed-eyes: like a million years ago
Here's your thread for such crack pot/tin foil hat/cone headed alien ideas ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52375.0

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »
dude, don't deny the truth that the ice age was a result of thousands of early human camp fires and space craft building the pyramids, like a million years ago   :closed-eyes: 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
Lies. Filthy LIES! We all know that mankind left Africa to go to war with the great Yeti Empire. They were tired of suffering under the tyrannical whims of big snow monkeys.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
Well I'm sure they just wished to flee that shit hole.

:icon_razz:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »
Lies. Filthy LIES! We all know that mankind left Africa to go to war with the great Yeti Empire. They were tired of suffering under the tyrannical whims of big snow monkeys.

oh you're good ...too good  :icon_cool:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 07:36:25 PM »
That's why the MAN keeps trying to silence me!

Or they would, if they knew I was on to them anyway. They wont accept my phone calls dammit!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
That's why the MAN keeps trying to silence me!

Or they would, if they knew I was on to them anyway. They wont accept my phone calls dammit!

*** note: I don't know this guy *****
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
You are all discriminatory sexists!  ::heretic:: ::heretic:: It should be "That's why the PEOPLE/PERSONS keeps trying to silence me." Indeed, the title of this thread must be amended to "Hupeople/hupersons Out of Africa Sooner Than Thought Before ..."
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 11:45:35 PM »
dude, don't deny the truth that the ice age was a result of thousands of early human camp fires and space craft building the pyramids, like a million years ago   :closed-eyes:
Here I'll try it again for ya ...  I've even bolded the link for ya, and increased the font size, just in case it is helpful ...

Here's your thread for such crack pot/tin foil hat/cone headed alien ideas ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=52375.0

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/world/americas/mayan-city-discovery-laser.html

Amazing how wrong we were about a civilization 1000 years ago.  I ponder how wrong we were about everything else in "history".

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
As so often, that news is not really news and the article exaggerates. That the countryside surrounding the cities was not empty has been known for decades. The image shown is not of some new discovery, but that of the city centre of Tikal, known in Europe at least since 1850. As the article itself explains later, the "ten of thousands of structures" consist mainly of roads, small dwellings, quarries and irrigation systems. Without actual excavations to gather concrete evidence, the population estimate of 10 million is pure speculation. That said, the LIDAR technique does make those excavations easier.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 12:17:19 PM »
Archaeology is always opening up new perspectives, and it will continue to do so.  However, That writer seems to be experiencing this information for the first time.  Not that the technique being used is new for the area, yet the study of the surrounding area of where the mayan culture was most known to be has been ongoing.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
Most soft sciences are controlled by what I call the old guard. The archeological theories are so burned in the academia mind anyone that varies from the "this is fact scenarios" risks being black balled. This is not coming from myself but many professors and those who have been kicked out of academic circles ( so to speak) opinions. You can find this mentality in many sciences now days, unfortunately.   
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 05:49:44 PM »
Ha ha ha. From what I know, practicing scientists are not like that at all. Scientists actively look for ways to counter their own theories, testing etc to see if they can knock them down.

You might be describing how institutions reject the less scientific, more crazy practitioners of silly sorts of science. The true practitioners need to get in with real work, see, and haven't got the time to keep correcting the loons.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 07:12:36 PM »
@Zak, I think you'd be surprised. From what I've read and people I know, there's actually a really strong movement among the younger academics to disprove, or at least reassess, a great deal of the older theories and work. As an example, on the AskHistorians reddit the Greek expert frequently talks about how the past ten years has seen a reassessment of the records and evidence that points to almost the exact opposite of what previous scholars knew about ancient greek warfare. There's been huge discussions about how to properly examine new evidence and test the old theories. When the old theories don't work out they then actively push to change it. According to him (or her, it's the internet who knows) the hardest thing for young academics to push against is not just old academics, but popular media that doesn't want to be corrected.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »
@Zak, I think you'd be surprised. From what I've read and people I know, there's actually a really strong movement among the younger academics to disprove, or at least reassess, a great deal of the older theories and work. As an example, on the AskHistorians reddit the Greek expert frequently talks about how the past ten years has seen a reassessment of the records and evidence that points to almost the exact opposite of what previous scholars knew about ancient greek warfare. There's been huge discussions about how to properly examine new evidence and test the old theories. When the old theories don't work out they then actively push to change it. According to him (or her, it's the internet who knows) the hardest thing for young academics to push against is not just old academics, but popular media that doesn't want to be corrected.

yes you are right that why I called it old guard. The younger theorists are starting to come out with their own theories based of scientific evidence that challenges current ideology.... Not trying to be controversial but there is a dogmatic academic regime that tries to keep old historical ( as an example) understandings intact. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »
I cannot quite see the relevance for the Maya "news," which just presents a sensationalist account of what was already the scientific communis opinio. This seems more an issue of getting new funding than of new scientific thought.