home

Author Topic: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated Jan 27, 2017]  (Read 26206 times)

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated Jan 27, 2017]
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
Hello everyone. I've finally gotten around to making a flicker account and I just ordered the final stuff I need to complete my Empire army off ebay so I am finally enthusiastic about modeling, converting, and painting my army.

The following is are a few shots of my works in progress and my General on Griffin that I plan to have painted by the end of the month for the monthly competition.
All critiques are welcome weather they be tips on how to paint a special technique better or pointing out some mold lines I didn't see, etc...

And for some reason the white really shines when taking the pictures.

General on Griffin

Some Greatswords

Wissenland Longcoats Regiment unit fillers

Wissenland Longcoats Regiment - Handgunner detachment
And the one model on the unit filler is completely done. Spray sealed and everything. He was my test guy for the color scheme so please critique. My avatar picture was a test model too.

Heroes and Knights

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 11:18:55 AM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated Sept 20, 2012]
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:57:28 AM »
Love it ...esp. your fillers, good work :eusa_clap:
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline beno1440

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »
The longcoats regiment are a great idea, they look awesome! What models are you using for those guys? In particular the kneeling ones, which I think work really, really well. Was thinking of working out a similar kneeling conversion for myself - but if I can shamelessly steal your's then...!

You mentioned issues photographing white - are you using a camera with the flash switched on, and how much manual control can you get with it? The flash on a camera will always make whites way too bright. If you can't get enough light on the minis without the flash then do what I used to do - get a piece of tracing paper, white tissue paper or white toilet paper and hold a little of that over the flash. It'll take the edge off it and diffuse the light more evenly. With t-p you'll probably have to peel apart the layers and experiment with how many of them work best from different distances.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
I think the hunters are the basis for the longcoats

Great idea!

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
Just noticed I was missing a pic with the fully painted guy and some handgunners.

The bodies are from the Huntsmen/Archers kit. The armored torsos are from the Greatswords. Took me forever to order enough of the archer bodies of ebay and such.

For those curious as to my technique for painting the Wissenland Longcoats: I have 4 shades of grey(codex and fortress) and 3 shades of white(+ normal skull white) that I mixed myself. So I shaded him up and then used a black wash over everything except white and skin. The skin I use 3 different shades of Elf Flesh, no wash.
And for the white I'm still not sure If I will add a wash to make it look dirty as when armies are on the march fighting they obviously won't stay very clean.

For the camera I use my blackberry 8900 curve. It takes pretty good pics, I just have to mess with the lighting.

I'm glad everyone likes my unit fillers. I'm putting alot of thought and effort into them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 05:13:42 PM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated Sept 21, 2012]
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:19:14 PM »
Well it was 6 months before I took up the knife and brush again. Had to move all my warhammer stuff from my grandparents where I used to live to my place downtown. Moved out a few years ago but left my painting desk and non-finished warhammer stuff there. Then everything stat in a big box in my appartment for 4 months until I felt like modeling and painting again.

Anyway, here is an update. Just works in progress pics.

I had made some greatweapon knights using the greatswords arms and pistolier feather heads but I just didn't like how they looked so I ripped them apart and converted using the armored knight arms. I like how they turned out.
By I have 2 questions to my flog followers:
1) what heads should I put on the knights? The ones with feathers? or the ones with feathers cut off? (I took some pics with both)
2) Bottom right corner is a pick of the the greatsword arms. I'm not sure if I should rip these off or just leave it since it has at least one arm with armour. I'm a fan of the slashed and puffs for empire but I'm just not sure.

These are my 60 spearmen and 30 halberd detachment. I spaced out the ranks for unit fillers partially to get the unit to 60 models but more so that they looked better when ranked up.
Note: the green and blue color scheme is from ebay. They will be painted in wissenland colors.

My pride and joy! Demi-lancers!!!
Since I ripped apart my greatsword arm knights I had the arms leftover and I do like the puffs, slashes, and feathers. I had planned on just making a unit of 5 to count as regular knights but I'm fairly happy with the way they turned out that I will be making a unit of 10-12 Inner Circle with Steel Standard(since Demi-Lancers have increased mobility). The armour will be painted black to show that its of fine sturdy quality.
The guy in the back will be made into a unit filler based on the picture from 7th edition rule book page 23.  Going to have that beastman fighting him and possible a spearman and ungor(depends on space).
Question: what do you guys think of the barding I made on it? I am thinking of refining it with some green stuff but not really sure what to do besides smooth out some gaps.

Some various other stuff. handgunner unit fillers. I found my deamonhunter model who will become an arch lector, still have to dig through boxes to find his hammer though. Theres the 3 wizards I will be submitting to this months painting contest - hopefully I finish the grey wizard but if I find the hammer to the arch lector I'll submit him instead. And the pegasus in back with questing knight on top is what I did when I got a little board of staring at my empire stuff.

So what does everyone think?
At the very least I'll have the fire and light wizard done by the end of them month and the 30 halberd detachment is next on painting priority.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated Sept 21, 2012]
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 11:26:55 PM »
Those Great Weapon Knights make me want to do that same conversion. Excellent stuff. As far as hats, count me in as no-feathers - those guys don't look quite as "flash and flair" oriented as they do a mobile beatdown squad.

Offline TheHoundmaster

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated April 5, 2013]
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:13 AM »
+1 for no feathers! Have you looked into getting some great sword heads? There is one, I believe it is a sallet, that would rock!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 04:40:14 AM »
+1 for no feathers! Have you looked into getting some great sword heads? There is one, I believe it is a sallet, that would rock!
This!  I have done it and it looks awesome.
All looking great by the way! I'm looking forward to seeing it all done!
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
I got alot of greatsword heads. I got 1 or 2 of the salet helms lying around. Although I don't want all my knights looking exactly the same.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
Lots of good conversions and ideas here.  Well done! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
Your unit filer are great! I love the Greatswords killing some orcs. And good idea to use Hunter's body for your troops.

Its really good to see an Wisseland army, because unfortunately, we don't see a lot of them, and I really like the grey uniform.

Good job!
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:47:03 AM »
Your unit filer are great! I love the Greatswords killing some orcs. And good idea to use Hunter's body for your troops.

Its really good to see an Wisseland army, because unfortunately, we don't see a lot of them, and I really like the grey uniform.

In 8th edition empire book they show an archer from wissenland (the leaning forward one) and its painted with a white longcoat. When I painted my archers I hummed and hawed about painting the longcoats white or grey and I opted for grey because it seem more practical that common soldiers would go for grey for their overcoat. And on a couple models it shows the leggings and torso underneath which looks like regular empire soldiers so that's where the white would be.

What do people think of the demi-lancers? specifically their shields. I was looking at historical models and they all have round shields but I'm wondering if using the empire triangle knight shields would look better.

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 03:09:18 AM »
What do people think of the demi-lancers? specifically their shields. I was looking at historical models and they all have round shields but I'm wondering if using the empire triangle knight shields would look better.
Are you feilding them as knights? I think they are awesome. I converted some myself, I gave them pistols rather than sheilds but that was more in line with some of the old black library stuff. I wish things like Demi-lancers or even pikemen rather than spears would get recognition in the army books.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 06:34:39 AM »
Are you feilding them as knights? I think they are awesome. I converted some myself, I gave them pistols rather than shields but that was more in line with some of the old black library stuff. I wish things like Demi-lancers or even pikemen rather than spears would get recognition in the army books.
Yes I'm fielding them as knights. I was reading and watching some history and learned how knights started wearing less armour but the armour was improved. Like a breastplate could stop a bullet whereas a knight in full plate might be protected from every hack & slash weapon but puncture weapons and bullets go right through the weak parts of the armour anyway. They also x-rayed some breastplates from the english civil war and found that they started making them tri-layerd and this would stop bullets.
And records show in the 1500's where demi-lancers were starting to pop up that they were still listed as heavy cavalry because they still used heavy horse and heavy lances.
The only rules representation for demi-lancers would basically just have them without barding so they are more mobile. Demi-lancers are still heavy cavalry, years later they evolved into Lancers with a light lance(spear) and little or no armour. Lancers are slightly out of the warhammer tech level though. End of thirty years war seems to be the cut off.

I also figured that since my army is from Wissenland and they have a bunch of open plains that they would have several types of heavy cavalry. Also wissenland is described as neglected by the countess and the people are independant which could mean some knights would start becoming demi-lancers since its cheaper. And since there has been an influx of monsterous infantry and monsterous cavalry on the battlefields of the old world that the empire would start opting for plate armour that protects their chest cavity from an ogre fist and use the increased mobility to dodge little goblins that try to stab them in the arm with a dagger.

And heck, if what the greatswords wear passes for full-plate armour then my demi-lancers are spot on.

Anyway, here are some more updates on the works in progress.

I finished the great weapon knights. All thats left to do is just a little bit of greenstuff on the salish helms and the non-gloved hands and stirups. I tried the greatswords salish head but it was just too small on the massive knights.
Oh and I also read in a thread that the problem with the knights isn't the horses, the scale of the rider works out to them being 6'11" tall or something so I sliced a bit out of the mid sections and from the thighs. And bent their knees a bit. It seems to have worked out pretty good.

And I finished Karl Franz on Deathclaw.
The second boar on the base isn't glued on, I just put him there for show. I might add some minor bitz on the base when I think of something cool, maybe a shreaded dead orc or something. Then I can paint it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:45:47 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated April 11, 2013]
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

They are awesome. I think you should keep the round shield because they look like demi-lancers with it, and use Bretonnian cavalry lance, they look great with round shield. They remind me the Polish lancers, and kislevite too. So good job !

I like your knight with heavy weapons too. Remove feathers on the helmet is a good idea, they are different about "normal" knight like that.

And your Karl Franz figthing orks is nice! I guess your principal enemy is ork? :p
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 09:17:46 PM »
i really like the demi lancers, especially the shields. I also have a wissenland army with demi lancers that are basically the same as yours

I Like the conversion of the archers with the new state troop bits. It's a nice idea to use up the spare parts.

Makes me want to repaint my wissenland are which i really rushed except the characters and the demi lancers

I have 50 of the old spearmen in 2 units of 25 which need merging.

Keep up the good work. Wissenland needs all the help it can get.

There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
and use Bretonnian cavalry lance, they look great with round shield.
I got one with a bret lance in there.  My next 5 I'll probably use all bret lances. I just wanted to do something with all those knights empire knight lances I had lying around. Maybe I'll get board one day and make a pike regiment with those extra lances.

And your Karl Franz figthing orks is nice! I guess your principal enemy is ork? :p
Actually there are not many ork players around from what I've seen at my local GW. My friend I primarily play against usually plays some type of elves.
The fluff for wissenland had the gorbad ironclaw invasion and my personal army fluff has my Baron von Balombine venturing into the boarder princes and badlands in search of glory and treasure.
I also have a lot of orcs from the 5th and 6th edition starter sets and orcs is on the bottom of my list for armies to start so they became bitz. And also with the wissenland color scheme, having some greenskins in there gives it some contrast.
I always thought savage orc boyz looked cool so when my local hobby store dropped GW producst and had a 35% off sale I picked up a lot of stuff.

FR1DAY
Thanks for showing your pics of your wissenlanders, your BSB I really like and its solved my problem for my BSB. I really like my BSB but I also picked up the Ludwig schartz model so now I have 2 BSB's on horse. I wanted to put my captain BSB on a pegasus but I couldn't figure out to re-position the banner, Now I will just adjust the arm backwards so it doesn't interfere with the pegasus wing. Thanks.

And I know everyone really likes my longcoat state troops but I gotta finish painting my old spearmen state troops. There just comes a point and time when a model sits on the shelf for too long and something has to be done about it. Which was also my reasoning for getting those darn knights finally converted and looking cool.
And I'm still waiting for my next purchase to get more pistolier/outrider heads for the longcoats to finish them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:18:08 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated April 16, 2013]
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 05:18:39 AM »
I finished a state trooper and I took some pics of him with my greatsword I had finished months ago.

These two I tried with less light.

I'm going to build a light box pretty soon. But I just wanted some more feedback on the color scheme and my painting skills before I keep painting my models.

And a note for the color scheme for anyone else who is thinking of doing a similar grey/white. It really looks like crap while your painting it, but once you start putting the washes over the model it starts to finally look good.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:26:21 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated May 1, 2013]
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
Here is my fire wizard I threw in for April's painting challenge.
It was my first attempt at painting fire and I'm not too pleased. One of my yellow paints was very watered down and was proving difficult and I was sorta rushing to get it finished.  I think I over did the final orange but could use some feedback about how to paint fire a little better.
The beard I wanted to go for a more ginger look but wasn't sure how to go about it without making it look like fire or like his robes.

Although i am happy I'm finally getting some models done to completion or near complete. Kinda sucks looking at other peoples blogs with finished models and mine is full of works in progress.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:17:02 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline KaaiZer

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »
I like it! :happy:

Only thing you should do.. Is to shake your wash ;)
You can see some glossy parts.

I like the idea to take the archer box and make them to state troops :)

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 05:34:58 AM »
Here is an update on some stuff. I had done some work on my state troops but didn't finish them in time for Mays' painting competition of the month. 
I have just done the first colors. No highlights yet. Working on getting my army painted so it looks OK for battle report pictures.

Cannons and Mortars. I originally had them in Brass but decided to go black and gold. I'm happy with them I think the color scheme makes them look rather sharp. I like the hub caps too.

This is my mighty steam tank. I just had to do something with the base so grinding an orc seemed appropriate.
Still not sure if I should keep the brown wood color or paint it red. I'll probably put the hub caps on in time.

And my Captain on Pegasus!!! Quite happy with this guy. Pegasus is Brettonian with General's horse head. And the Captain is the extra general from the Karl Franz on Griffon kit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:54:16 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated June 10, 2013]
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I really like your hubcap idea for the mortars and cannon.  Looks great!  :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated June 18, 2013]
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 05:06:13 AM »
3 Militia men done in Wissenland colors.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:11:29 AM by The Peacemaker »

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Rowly

• Members
Re: Peacemaker's Wissenland Blog [Updated June 18, 2013]
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:21 PM »
I love the crossbowman.
"LOOK AT HOW SHARP THIS BOLT IS! LOOK AT IT!"