home

Author Topic: Solland Army  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Count James

• Members
Solland Army
« on: February 05, 2024, 05:20:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

So I've just finished my first model in... too long - at the time of writing this photo represents my entire collection of Games Workshop miniatures. Long story short, I had to sell it all about a decade ago (all that remains is photos) but the release of Warhammer: The Old World has finally sparked enough interest to finally get back into the hobby... whether I will actually manage to get any games in is another question entirely...

My approach: I'm essentially going to try to rebuild what has been lost... my Wissenland/Solland army, although I think I'll go full Solland this time -  starting with the Sister Superior as Warrior Priestess below. Have to say she fits the 25mm base better than the 20mm! I'm kind of thinking of just getting two of whatever Battalion box we get (plus eBay vigilance) and using that to try to recreate my old force!

I'll update this as I get more models and get them done... it'll be a slow process...

Offline Gorim

• Members
Re: Solland Army
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 09:19:53 PM »
Very nice painting! I recently started my Empire army, which will be a mix of Ulricans and Kislevites. The Mordheim models are one of the best, so good idea to use them as much as possible in the army:)

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:51:05 PM »
The Mordheim models are one of the best, so good idea to use them as much as possible in the army:)

I really want a Freelance Knight to use as my General but... not cheap to get hold of. We'll see...

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 02:05:41 AM »
That's a nice paintjob I've gotta say, I myself plan to get about 20 SoS 3D-printed since, you know, how to find 'em. I found a good vendor online that sells 3D-scans (or at least very good recreations) of Old Hammer minis, and they've got Bertha Bestraufrung.

Although I think I will be paint an army for Osterlund, that should allow me to field my kitbashed KotWW and my enormous GS collection.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 02:31:11 AM »
The priestess looks very good indeed! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 01:36:59 PM »
Beautiful! Well done!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 10:40:24 PM »
That's a nice paintjob I've gotta say, I myself plan to get about 20 SoS 3D-printed since, you know, how to find 'em. I found a good vendor online that sells 3D-scans (or at least very good recreations) of Old Hammer minis, and they've got Bertha Bestraufrung.

Sadly I can't 3D-print... I have managed to get hold of a Bertha model for a reasonable price though, as well as unit of metal Greatswords (in keeping with the 'get my old stuff back' plan) so they're going to be next up. Depending on Royal Mail...

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 01:12:17 AM »

Sadly I can't 3D-print... I have managed to get hold of a Bertha model for a reasonable price though, as well as unit of metal Greatswords (in keeping with the 'get my old stuff back' plan) so they're going to be next up. Depending on Royal Mail...

I bought a PLA 3D pinter 2 years ago that's collecting dust, because it can't print GW scaled man-sized minis. You'd need a SLA resin printer for that.
So I fought some 3D printing services on line, send them my files, which I rescaled in Blender, and got them mailed to me. Depending on the service, if you print in bulk it's possibly not gonna be that much cheaper than just buying plastic. But for Mordheim, it's not like I got that many choices...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 05:27:53 AM »
Looking good!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 01:51:47 PM »
Update: redid the base on the Warrior Priest and finished up Bertha Bestraufrung as a second Warrior Priest on foot...

Unit of 25 Greatswords are underway... they're gonna be a while because for some insane reason I've decided to try to paint the clothing parts properly, rather than block+wash like last time around. Also now have an old Warhammer Quest Witch Hunter to add in. Definitely no more eBay until the box set is out!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 11:28:20 PM »
Apologies for the double-post - I've just read through the amazing Solland thread here: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=26245.0 and, well, if I wasn't inspired before, I am now!  :icon_cool:

So The Old World narrative is set a time of civil strife in the Empire, so no-one is going to notice a bunch of revolutionaries raising an army in the ex-province of Solland/Sudenland and demanding a seat at the table!

:biggriin:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 09:22:34 PM by Count James »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 01:41:04 AM »
Much of that thread involves what we termed "The Solland Effort of 2524".  This was a fluff campaign that was post 2522 where the WFB fluff had left off prior to the horrible EoT crud. However, there's nothing that says that can't be Solland rebels planning and scheming in the days of the re-released Old World currently.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 04:27:00 AM »
Oh how i miss models that simple
The people responsible for the over-engineered and parts heavy kits of today deserve to drown in a river of sprues

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »
Oh how i miss models that simple

They do have a certain charm... I've yet to encounter a post-2010 sculpt, but looking at the Cities of Sigmar models I can see what you're getting at...!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2024, 12:33:34 AM »
Finished the Greatswords (nearly... I need to do something with the banner but it's late and I've already messed it up once...)

Also my phone seems to have done something funky with the colours and focus, I'll probably update this once it's daytime again and I can take a better pic...

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2024, 10:16:03 AM »
Better photo!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2024, 09:55:10 PM »
They're great!

At first I thought they were very small models, but it was an effect of the big bases. These old metal models were designed to fit on 20mm, so look very sparse on 25mm.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 10:12:51 PM »
These look fabulous, congrats! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 01:20:01 PM »
Dont feel bad about the photo. I cant take a decent photo to save my life

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 09:21:36 PM »
At first I thought they were very small models, but it was an effect of the big bases. These old metal models were designed to fit on 20mm, so look very sparse on 25mm.

I quite like that they actually have space to swing the big swords without decapitating each other  :icon_lol:

Update: Done the Witch Hunter! He's the old Warhammer Quest model and I couldn't resist a bit of a homage to his original off-yellow colour scheme...

And now I'm completely out of models. So much so that I'm currently working on the movement tray for the Greatswords out of desperation for something to paint.

Side rant: eBay prices have gone literally insane lately... I want two more greatswords to round out the unit/fill up the movement tray. I paid £4 a model for the ones I have, which was painful enough - the cheapest I can find is now at least double that! There's a few auctions I'm keeping an eye on but I'm not hopeful. So I think I'm waiting for the Empire release which is going to be aaaaaaages! Sad.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:31:53 PM by Count James »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2024, 01:38:39 AM »
I can send you my stuff to paint and you can send it back if you like  :wink:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2024, 02:26:30 PM »
I can send you my stuff to paint and you can send it back if you like  :wink:

Haha... only if I get to keep them  :icon_razz:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 06:13:16 AM »
The classic, 'Once you're done washing your car, you can do mine' joke between neighbours  :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 12:02:17 PM »
How i wish i'd bought more miniatures like that instead of 'investing' in Star Wars figures

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2024, 08:58:52 PM »
How i wish i'd bought more miniatures like that instead of 'investing' in Star Wars figures

The eBay prices are increasing before my eyes... (and I have nothing better to do than watch since nothing left to paint) -  I can only hope the bottom drops out of the market once GW get around to releasing our army!

Not only eBay, I saw a couple of ice cream cartons full of assorted old HeroQuest stuff go for £60-odd at auction over the weekend. Estimate was £4 lol.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 09:01:28 PM by Count James »