home

Author Topic: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...  (Read 14670 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:51 AM »
For those unaware ... the historical game system called Lion Rampant has not only expanded into fantasy with the rules called Dragon Rampant, but there is also an effort underway to add an additional set of rules based on the same system, and currently being called Pikeman's Lament.

The latter seemes to be based more in the 17th century, the era of the English Civil War and the Thirty Years War, and then into the end of the 1600s when the shift towards infantry carrying only guns and eventually giving up the pike began.  The 15th and 16th century is more closely associated to Warhmmer-Empire, yet I'm looking forward to seeing how Pikeman's Lament handles things anyway.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 02:46:03 AM »
Picked up a copy of Lion Rampant at Cold Wars and bought it.  Couldn't locate Dragon Rampant or I'd have bought that, too.  A quick review of the contents seems to show that it is a system needing relatively few figures per side to get started, and players can increase the size of their armies as they acquire more.  I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl at some point.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
My exploration of Lion Rampant has begun.  Played in a game this past December, and expect to play some more, maybe even this upcoming weekend.  There are a group of guys that have begun to use these rules locally for historical play, and so far what I've seen has been a non complex system of rules, easily learned, and fun to play.

Considering the following make up for my first 24 point army ...

1 mounted men-at-arms unit, 6 points, 6 figures
1 mounted sergeants unit, 4 points, 6 figures, with crossbows
1 foot men-at-arms unit, 6 points, 6 figures
1 foot sergeants unit, 4 points, 12 figures
1 archer unit, 4 points, 12 figures

What I'm also interested in doing is  trying the new Pikeman's Lament rules, which has just been released, and it is based on the same system as Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
It looks like a fun system. If I could find some people locally playing it I'd give a try.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »
The rules are $18.  Buy it, provide a second army for another player, and voila!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:17 PM »
This past May I tied for 1st place in a mini-3 round tourney for Lion Rampant, 2 wins and one draw.

Yesterday I introduced a new guy to these rules, he'd not played a miniatures game before and enjoyed playing.  We're talking about getting together for a night of painting medieval figures next.

I've been using a Late English list of 24 points which includes 1 men-at-arms unit, 1 expert foot sergeant unit, and 2 expert archer units.  It can be tricky when coming up against armies with cavalry units, but I'm having fun!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
Sounds great! Looks like you know your tactics too lol. I think I've heard of that game but I'll have to look it up. Keep us informed. Fun is the key 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 01:50:02 PM »
Lion Rampant is the original and Medieval version.  They also produce Dragon Rampant for fantasy, and Pikeman's Lament for Renaissance.

It is a quick and easy system with plenty of variability.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
So ... I'm hosting a Lion Rampant mini-tourney at a game convention this year.  3 rounds, prizes to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, army lists to eb chosen from Lion Rampant rule book only.  I'm also gearing up for this event by getting together with a friend for some Lion Rampant games in a couple of weeks. :icon_cool: :icon_biggrin:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
Pictures! Bring us pictures!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »
Pictures! Bring us pictures!

Demanded and seconded! (? If that’s a word)
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
Ha, ha!  Maybe.  I've got a small camera somewhere.  If I can find it, maybe.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
GP If you edit your first post, maybe you could do an intro to the game too.

I am sure people would like to know the potential usage for existing Empire/human figures, and size of warbands for example?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
GP If you edit your first post, maybe you could do an intro to the game too.

I am sure people would like to know the potential usage for existing Empire/human figures, and size of warbands for example?

Good ‘un! I know you described it on another thread but again would be good.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 07:52:28 PM »
I have Lion Rampant which I've played maybe a dozen times, and Pikeman's Lament, yet no games with the latter.  Intending to pick up Dragon Rampant at some point for some fantasy gaming.  Going to need to see what kind of gaming gets done in the next couple of months, and then perhaps I'll write up some more on this system.

The good thing about this system is it is very quick to play through and doesn't require a lot of figures.  I've spent minimal games learning the system, and once it gets going on the table top, these games can take 2 to 3 hours to play and it's done.  A rules book costs ... get this :icon_arrow: ... $18.  An excellent value.

My Wars of the Roses army has a leader, 6 men at arms, 12 expert foot sergeants, and two units of 12 expert archers for 43 figures.  This represents a late English army for historical purposes, and can be a challenging one to play because of having only 4 units and no cavalry.  I've used Perry WotRs figures, and matched them up against another Late English army using my left over Perry figures and a bunch of Empire figures, as well.

And I've matched them up against a German army using the Empire figures too.  The German army is an interesting mix of 1 mounted men at arms (6 Empire figures), 1 mounted sergeants with crossbows (my 6 converted Empire figures from Treachery & Greed campaign), 2 units of 12 foot sergeants (Empire Averland spearsmen), and 1 unit of 12 crossbows with pavises (my Averland & mercenary crossbows), and a leader figure, for a total of 49 figures.

There are 34 historical army lists, plus a Robin Hood, Sheriff, Round Table, Mordred, and a Good and Evil fantasy lists as well.  I'm looking forward to the Dragon Rampant rules for trying some more fantasy lists, and Pikeman's Lament for more historical gaming, and maybe Empire vs. Empire too.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:35:00 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 08:31:53 PM »
Thanks GP!
Just bought and downloaded dragon rampant. Now to settle in for a good read. Also may get lion rampant. The cost is just fantastic.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »
If I recall, Dragon Rampant has army lists for various fantasy forces.  If ya get a moment Artoban, can ya clue us in on which ones?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 08:44:34 PM »
Boarderlands
Centaurs
Dwarves
Elves
Goblins
Graveyard dwellers
Grr. All creatures great and small
Halfflings and gnomes
Knights of the shining citadel
Lizard kin
Men of the North
Men of the west
Ratkin
Sand marauders
!!!!
This is looking good!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
Those sound good, and sounds like more fun to be had there! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
Ha!  Located my original copy of Lion Rampant while searching for a foam cutter today.  I've got two copies, and will give one to a nephew! :icon_cool:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 09:42:44 PM »
The rules and play look so easy. Also most warbands are 60 models at most and encourages all types of minis. For example the gnomes ride snails and it isn’t unheard of for the sand marauders to ride strange creatures ie: I have a few cold one mounts without riders.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
Yep, it is quick play, and fun with few models.

It is also very adaptable with a point system that moves across any category of army that one desires, and to the point where a person can use whatever models they have to create there list.  I haven't seen the Dragon Rampant rules, although the new info is inspiring me a bit.

I'm imagining creating a small campaign of some kind using these rules and figures.  At some point.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 10:05:58 PM »
In the rules, the author highlights the rules taken directly from lion. Dragon came after and he realized the transition for historical to fantasy can be quite easy. As I read more I’ll add.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 11:24:44 PM »
Dragon Rampant will likely be the next set of rules I buy. :::cheers:::

I suspect had the changes in the forum not occurred, it might have been awhile before I got this motivated.  Cheers to the admins! :::cheers:::

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 11:34:11 PM »
Agree!
There seems to be a rejuvenation of sorts. You must include yourself GP for all the cool threads.  :eusa_clap:
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020