home

Author Topic: Earlsy's Ostland Army- More demigryphs of morr  (Read 25384 times)

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
  • Just when I thought i was out...
Earlsy's Ostland Army- More demigryphs of morr
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Hi Everyone
Firstly I would just like to say I am a long time watcher first time poster so I hope its all ok  :icon_smile:
A bit of Background.
I have played Warhammer since the age of 12, back then i used to think that slapping on a bit of colour constituted painting. I collected Dwarfs and had loads, then took some time out from the hobby to go to Uni and in order to fund my student lifestyle i sold all my figures  :icon_redface: then recently a friend and I were remenicing about the "good old days", to cut a long story short we decided to start Warhammer up again. After several weeks of flitting through various army books I decided to go for Empire. And fancied being a little different so, after looking at several posts on this site i decided to paint and theme my army using Ostland as my focus.

I have a been collecting for 3 months so far and have a few units, I hope to upload photos as I get each one finished. Below is a list of models i have so far aquired.
  • 50 Halberdiers
    50 Swordsmen
    40 greatswords
    3 Great Cannons
    1 Hellblaster Volleygun
    1 Mortar
    1 Hellstorm rocket battery
    9 Knights
    3 Warrior priests
    1 Captain of the empire (BSB)
    16 Archers
    20 crossbowmen
    8 wizards (one from each college)
    Also eventually i want to convert a steam tank

I have also been thinking of various terrain pieces to make. I wanted to go for something that wasnt shop bought but was home made, that way I could stamp my personality onto it. I hope to upload photos of each piece as and when i complete it, below is a list of terrain I will be making.
  • 4 Buildings
    1 Inn
    1 Church and accompanying graveyard
    6 forests
    2 hills
    1 encampment
    Various walls and fences
    A frozen lake
    6 frozen rivers with fords and a 12" wide bridge  :icon_frown:
    anymore I can think of as I go along

I warn you now this maybe slow as, while i have a fair few models painted I am terribly slow at basing them so as it stands at the moment only 10% are based but i have this week off so i hope to change that and get some photos up asap.

Any comments and critique is welcome.  :icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:34:20 PM by Earlsyd »
Whats to say, i play with toy soldiers, and enjoy it.

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline thundercake

• Members
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »
do you have a point limit army in mind? or just run that list to whatever it comes out as?
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:07:20 AM »
hi
yeah what i have so far comes out at 2k with a few magic items and full commands.

do u have any changes u would make?

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
I would say it depends on what your goal is. Do you want a fluff centric army that is all tied together by fluff? Do you want a really hard hitting list?

To start, I would get a wizard or two, an arch lector or a GotE and then you could decide if you want to go for any of the new models (demi-gryphs, carts, etc.). You could get the demi-grpyhs so you could have something really hitty, or a cart to help buff your troops (though you have a lot of warrior priests).
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- Update Knights of Morr
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:04 AM »
Hi all
Here is a small update, I havnt got my good camera or lighting atm, but as there is snow all over the ground i thought I would take the pictures outside, so here is the first complete unit (based and all  :-D) It's a unit of Knights themed as Knights of Morr, with a converted warrior priest.

He uses the generals horse and a dark elf mage set of legs as well as some Bretonian bits here and there.

In reply to Thundercake; cheers for the advice I was hoping to have an army that was a bit themed, but as themes can change I really wanted one that would allow me to win 80% of my games, i play elves a lot so my logic was big blocks to soak up there striking first. I forgot to mention I have a basic engineer in there as well to serve the hellblaster, but i could drop him and the mounted warrior priest and free up enough points for some demigryphs if u think that would be better?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:37:24 AM by Earlsyd »

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
I may not be the best to give advice, so take mine with a grain of salt, and hopefully so other more experienced players will comment.

If you are playing high elves, I would say your armor saves are going to be important, as well as your ability to do damage. So warrior priests should help with that.  With high elves, I would also expect you to have more units, since their stuff is more expensive, so you may be able to get some flank charges in with cav.

Also, with all elves, I am pretty sure they are going to out shoot you (at least your infantry or outriders). Your artillery might be able to equalize the playing field but their infantry shooters have better stats than ours.

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- Great cannon finished
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
Hi all
It's been a while since i updated, i have finished the first of my great cannons.  :-D

Here are some images of the crew:

With the base I tried to convey an idea that the crew were relaxing and had to hurry to man their piece. Hence the knocked over table in the corner.

I have also been making some inroads into my halberdier horde here are a few work in progress photos:

There are currently only 30 halberdiers in the unit the other 20 are primed and ready for painting.

So what does everyone think so far? Any comments and criticisms are welcome.

Empire record 2/0/1

DECAB666

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
these are looking very nice.

Decab666

My blog   decab666.blogspot.com

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- Update 2nd cannon and hellblaster
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
Hi
Finished and based my 2nd great cannon, wanted to go for a more entrenched sort of look with this one. this doesnt provide any benefits in game such as cover and can actually hinder me in terms of TLOS but im not to fussed cause i quite like how its turned out.

I have also got the hellblaster volley gun based the part i like the most with this whole piece are the posters on the wall and the guy holding his crotch, i think they add a bit of character, but let me know what you think.

let me know what u think.

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline mastertom

• Members
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- Update Knights of Morr
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
the knights are a great job, i like how the purple adds some colour to the black looking forward to seeing the finished army

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
I really like the Fable posters, great painting overall.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- terrain update
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I have been in london for the weekend, and havnt had a chance to upload any more photos. SO without further ado here are some photos of my first complete piece of terrain, its a building based on the concept of a medieval german town house.

Showing the rear, complete with privy.

The front with porch and wanted posters.

The side with side door and steps.

The upstairs window, there are railings around the roof that are made from the left over spear heads from the state troops box that i had laying around.

I also have a wall set from the old GW range of scenery that i have painted and applied snow effects to.

While im at it I have a few photos of the command group for my halberdiers and a few photos of my first batch of greatswords. Be warned the banner looked better drawn on paper but was hard to do on the model. Serious credit to those on this site who can do it, I never realised how hard it was.
Halberdiers

Greatswords

Again any comments and critique are welcome. Now on to the rest of the halberdiers, the other greatswords arrived in the post this morning so should have them done in a week or so.

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- terrain and unit update
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
Really nice theme (you've done the snow thing very nicely) and the warmachines are super characterful!
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
Possibly the best application of snow I've ever seen.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
Love the pointing greatsword captain. The helmet fits well!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »
cheers guys
I followed the tutorial on the GW website for the snow, had to do 2 and in some places 3 layers though.

Love the pointing greatsword captain. The helmet fits well!
Its the helmet that came in the old bretonnian knights box, the one that hung from the saddle. I just cut it a bit. :) I will upload a few more pictures tomorrow night hopefully.
 Earlsy

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
As promised more photos.
these arnt quite finished but i have been painting halberdiers, so here is a  unit of 16 archers which are also to be used as a 10 man detachment depending on the situation.

comments and critique are helpful. I used inks to colour these models with a few bits of black and brown paint.
hopefully i will finish my horde this weekend and get them up here as well.

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline Tarnell

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:19:05 PM »
The second cannon looks awesome!! :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
Great looking greatswords! Really like the standard design.

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
hi guys I have some more photos i have just finished a 10 man detachment, but i think im gunna make it up to 20 men.

On another note; my greatswords have arrived :) so i will get on with making them up and have a photo of the finished unit asap. I also got a wizard box, made an amethyst wizard, a jade wizard and a bright wizard. Hopefully go for one of every order.

Terrain:
I have 3 forests underway as well as a frozen lake and a graveyard. Should have some images soon just gotta add the little things.

Comments and critique is appreciated

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
Re: Earlsy's Ostland Army and Terrain- Swordsman detachment and News
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:33 AM »
On the first cannon, how come there is the dirt track with no snow on it?
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:51 AM »

Its supposed to be the rut made by the recoil of the cannon when its fired, and the reason there is no snow on it is because i was trying to show that while there is snow on the ground it is infact no actually snowing at that moment. Thats what i was trying to go for, not sure if I pulled it off now  :icon_confused:

You may also like to hear I am planning on a third cannon, because IMO you can never have to many cannons. Im thinking of putting it in a graveyard after looking at Xisor's thread. I dont yet have a garden of morr tho so I will try to make it fit into my current graveyard (gravestones and a few crypts). Who knows might put a few ravens on it maybe in a dead tree.

Empire record 2/0/1

Offline Zjivago

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
Nice swordsmen, only thing really is the eagles on the shield, the copper looks a bit thin, like the black basecoat is visible. Not a huge thing maybe but I think it could be improved.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:19:03 AM by Zjivago »
Cthulhu for president, why Settle for the Lesser Evil?
Nordland Blog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=43994.0

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »

Its supposed to be the rut made by the recoil of the cannon when its fired, and the reason there is no snow on it is because i was trying to show that while there is snow on the ground it is infact no actually snowing at that moment. Thats what i was trying to go for, not sure if I pulled it off now  :icon_confused:

I figured that was what you were going for but IMO the ruts are far too wide which is why I asked. You should make the ruts smaller or try some kind of blending? technique so that the ruts look more mushy or something.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Earlsyd

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 05:07:57 PM »
Hi everyone
Its been a while since my last post but i have been busy. Got my halberdier horde finished and my 2nd warrior priest, I have nearly got 3 wizards and my bsb finished as well so they will be uploaded tomorrow some time.

And here is the 2nd warrior priest

I also just ordered 40 more swordsmen and 20 crossbowmen as having played a few games i found my previous list was a bit underwelming, 40 greatswords was just to much of a point sink to be blasted apart by dwellers over and over again.

Im also in the process of blending my cannon ruts by adding a light dusting of snow effects to the outer most edges.

Empire record 2/0/1