home

Author Topic: Magnetic Basing - Metal Sheets Problem  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
Re: Magnetic Basing - Metal Sheets Problem
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 08:23:37 PM »
I use the old washers on the bases and fridge magnet paper on the movement trays trick.  There is no reason you can't use the magnetic paper with your magnets, although my knowledge of physics is limited!  On my mini's I can easily do the upside down trick with no casualties, and its extremely easy because I can use my existing movement trays and just line them with this stuff!  I use very thin washers (I'll get the spec if you want) that cover the whole base.  I use 2 or 3 for calvary or Ogres etc.

I get mine at Michael's chain of craft stores.  Its 90% ladies crafts, (flowers, wedding things etc) but they have interesting paints, not bad brushes and lots of small stuff for terrain making!  I'm sure most any Craft (not hobby) store will have similar in the children's dept.

The stuff I use is childrens' "lets make some fridge magnets" comes in 8x11 sheets, 3 to a pack for $3 each pack.  It has glue on one side and bare magnetic paper on the other.  Like I said, I don't see why this wouldn't work by just putting magnets on magnets.

Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline Rorrak

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 10:31:43 AM »
I've also done what Sir_Nicolae did.

Washers on the base and Magnet on the movement tray.

Its thanks to Vann Harl giving me a warning, he did it the other way at first and the magnets "fight" with each other. Some models seem to not want to sit down on the tray.

With the magnets glued to the plasticard they cant move. The effect is that you can pack your models anyway you like.

There is another benefit to magnets/washers than a full sheet of Iron/steel and thats that there is room between the magnets to add some rock/grass/gravel to match your bases. As you get casualties the visual of the base is much more pleasing

I had to destroy some bases to undo what I had started but I'm happy I did, the bases themselves dont cost too much to replace.

Offline Teuton

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 11:33:15 AM »
A couple of people have recommended magnetic paper, which is pretty good, but no-one seems to make it any thicker than about 0.8mm. Personally I've used magnetic tape, which essentially is the same stuff, but available in greater thicknesses up to about 1.6mm.

You can also buy it in convenient widths if you're magnetising your bases, I got a couple of metres of 20mm wide tape which did half the work for me.
I also use sheets of steel as movement trays, rather than lining plastic trays with thin steel.
The thicker material is very good for plastics, when testing it I found that I can actually ram a ranked up unit down onto a table without having any of them move!
Metal models don't hold so well, but they can do the upside down trick easily.

Offline Von Strum

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 09:11:26 PM »
Just a suggestion, but I have used the following company and have done away with having to worry about metal sheets. They make magnets and thin "felxible steel" sheets that fit warhammer bases. Give them a try.

http://www.litkoaero.com/

Von Strum

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 11:55:37 PM »
Excellent Website!

And glad to see they ship out of the US  :-)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.