home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296505 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (open for critique)
« Reply #575 on: March 19, 2016, 12:27:23 AM »
the vulture and the centipede look good, do not knock yourself so much, even the attempt is praise worthy wheter or not it turns out good, and yours have turned out good.  steveb

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #576 on: March 19, 2016, 12:30:22 AM »
That centipede is still pretty scary
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #577 on: March 19, 2016, 02:48:39 AM »
Very cool to see someone else's take on the familiar shrooms  :::cheers:::

I'm not sure what's crappy about the centipede.  Where's it from (sorry if I missed that information earlier).
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #578 on: March 19, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
The centipede isn't the best sculpted model ever, I don't really like the head and unfortunately your colour scheme draws attention to it. I'd be tempted to make the red transition less severe and only go to an orange-red not full on scarlet.

The vulture guy now has a creepy Charon / Grim Reaper vibe which I really like - good work!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #579 on: March 19, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »
Yeah, the centipede is scary. The head part is not so good, partly because of the sculpt, but partly because of the painting.

It's mostly the eyes. You could paint dark, glimmering animal eyes, a bit like the gem style. Like six of them. And add more hues on the red (although the photo may eat up a bit of contrast). And gloss.
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #580 on: March 20, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »
The eyes are unfortunately sculpted like that. I'm thinking about going back and filling in the center/pupils and then repainting them black. And definitely thinking about a gloss varnish on the whole thing, too.

I had wanted to add some long whip like antennae, but there was no good place to put them because of the big pincers. There are some mouth-bits that were painted pale yellow-tan, but I'm wondering if the giant pincers might look good in that color too. Or that could disastrously draw more attention to the head. :unsure: Maybe I will edit that into the pic (once I'm back in front of a computer with Phnotoshop and a better pointing device instead of my Chromebook...) before painting it for real, to see what it's like.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »
The eyes are unfortunately sculpted like that. I'm thinking about going back and filling in the center/pupils and then repainting them black. And definitely thinking about a gloss varnish on the whole thing, too.

I had wanted to add some long whip like antennae, but there was no good place to put them because of the big pincers. There are some mouth-bits that were painted pale yellow-tan, but I'm wondering if the giant pincers might look good in that color too. Or that could disastrously draw more attention to the head. :unsure: Maybe I will edit that into the pic (once I'm back in front of a computer with Phnotoshop and a better pointing device instead of my Chromebook...) before painting it for real, to see what it's like.

I'd say you just do away with the eyes altogether and then add the antennae instead. Save the space issue with the mandibles if the feelers are on the top of the head and the distracting eyes are gone then.

hastily shopped suggestion:
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #582 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:37 AM »
I actually rather like the centipede. The head looks a bit strange to me, but the scales on the back part look great.

The vulture man also looks suitably strange. Just imagine that coming through the mist towards you.

Edit: It appears I missed the most recent page when I posted. I think just solid black eyes would be the best, I'm not sure I like it with no eyes myself.

Offline mousekiller

• Members
« Reply #583 on: March 22, 2016, 06:04:08 AM »
Great job with the centipede!  I live in Hawaii now and they are all over the place... they look just as scary in real life... and their bites can burn like you would not believe.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #584 on: March 22, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
Not a fan of that centipede sculpt.  With legs going over it's front, it seems unusual, although perhaps that is the point.  Doesn't look like an easy thing to paint either.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2016, 11:29:02 PM »
I love it your Fimirs, one day I would also make small Fimir army, not more  then 5k points  :engel:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #586 on: March 29, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »

I did repaint the eyes on the centipede. I just repainted them plain black to hide the carved out pupils. I also gave the whole thing a gloss varnish. No pic, though. The gloss will probably kill that anyway.

I love it your Fimirs, one day I would also make small Fimir army, not more  then 5k points  :engel:

:::cheers:::  Haha!

My Fimir conversions stalled, but I unexpectedly (and very fortunately!) came into an almost complete set of the old Citadel figures thanks to an old friend. So I've started painting a few of those.

I also finished the unpainted 'shrooms from Deafnala. Now to base them!

Time is very tight lately, but maybe a bit more of the Month of Marsh theme before it's done.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #587 on: March 30, 2016, 09:25:23 PM »
The end of the month was a bit of a forced march marsh, but I think I pulled off a respectable little group of figures for a month of work. I did cheat a little, as some of it was started before March, and some of it wasn't painted by me. Not a terribly good photo, I'm afraid.

One Dirach, four Fianna, four Fimm warriors, one bog demon, one giant centipete, and eight moor hounds.

Here are the four old Citadel Fimm warriors I'ev got. Two have scratch built tails.

I had a request for a comparison photo, so here it is. Obvious style differences, but I had never planned on getting any of the old Citadel figures (nor is it likely that I will get more than the last few I have yet to paint. But I'm OK with how they look together.

My concept of the Fomorians/Fimir (I need to settle on just one name...) leans toward the warrior & raid culture, as hinted at. I don't see the Shearl as being included in raids or any sort of fighting at all, so I don't want to include them as some lists/armies do. So I would like to emphasize the difference between the Fimm warriors and the Fianna. I imagine the latter being the the larger & more dominant group, while the latter are the lower class warriors, or the young & experienced out to prove themselves.

Lastly, the first batch of moor hounds. Old Citadel plastic & metal dire wolves. They were painted when I got them, so I just gave them some minor touch-ups and re-based them. A bit of cheating, but I did put some work into it. These aren't included in old GW Fimir lists, but similar options pop up in most fan lists/material, and I like the relation to myth & literature.

They will also see use with the Undeadish, where they will fit into a division based on the Wild Hunt of Herne, or Kerenos of Moorcock's "Fhoi Myore" from the Corum books. I had considered painting them as described by Moorcock, but I think the black hounds are a better choice.

So that's my Month of Marsh! Well, that plus the 'shrooms posted yesterday. I may get a chance to base them up, but that's unlikely, and I'm going to be busy and probably not get anything else done the next few days.

Looking forward to April, I'm still thinking about some giants. But I'd also like to continue working on the cyclopian bog raiders. And undead. And Marienburg mercenaries. So... really I'm not sure. Other than the giants -- definitely one or two of those.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #588 on: March 31, 2016, 04:06:56 PM »
I think the two different types of Fimir work well together. :icon_cool:

And ... the moor hounds, the merrier! :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
I can agree with half of what GP said... ;)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #590 on: April 01, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
Nice force!  :eusa_clap:

My favourite are the armoured Fimir. They've clearly received some serious love, and pop out of the group as a result.

Here's some critique:
Pale flesh of the Fimir, black fur of the wolves... Hard to say if it's the photos or the painting, but these might need more tones.

With the naked Fimir, I'd relax the palette a bit and add a hue of cool greyish  brown (maybe wash/shade/ink) to the joints and areas in shade. That would enliven the figures, and also make the pale look really pale. Also, have you worked the pale as pale as with the armoured Fimir? It looks as if the naked Fimirs' highlights wouldn't go as far towards white as the armoured Fimirs'. Might be the photo.

Painting black fur is a pain. Maybe it wouldn't be wrong if you highlighted/drybrushed with one or three shades of grey? (Maybe it's the photos. There might actually be just that kind of highlight there.) Not black anymore, but maybe looking better. Also they eyes could add a lot of character, although I can see a point in keeping them pitch black instead of e.g. red or glimmering blue.

:smile2:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #591 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:20 AM »
The dogs look like they were a simple black base, with a dark grey drybrush. So not too many layers -- but I was being lazy & trying to use the figures as they were so I could put my time into something I cared more about. ;) (Im actually not terribly fond of these wolf sculpts -- but it was a deal I couldn't pass up!) All I really did was touch those up and repaint the eyes -- which are red, but don't seem to show up in the pics. The Fimm are subtle, but I think that anything very light colored always seems to get flattened out or lost in my photos.

I enjoyed the March painting challenge, and although I didn't actually paint anything, the idea of Deadcember was one I could get behind if I had the time.

So April... I'm just making this one up, since I can't really work "giants" into any amusing wordplay involving a month, nor does anything come to mind for a good April theme, other than the Fellowship of the Ring ("Fly you fools!") -- which I don't have any plans for. So giants it is. This may be a one man Big April Challenge.

I just spent a bit of time cleaning my favored victims subjects. From left to right, Warploque, Marauder, and Ultraforge.

I didn't expect to have any spare time this weekend, so getting to work on these was a pleasant surprise. It looks like I may have another spare hour or two, so I may either clean up the Reaper Colossal Skeleton as well and/or start assembling these.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #592 on: April 03, 2016, 01:57:09 AM »
Quick assembly. Still need to do some gap filling in a few spots.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2016, 03:21:44 AM »
I dont think the style difference between your fimm and the citadel fimm is bad at at all, Light and heavy infantry?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #594 on: April 03, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »
Wow that Ultraforge giant is HUGE!  :Ohmy:

I've got some big models on my To Do list, but not really a Giant to join in with.  :icon_sad:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #595 on: April 03, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
Not very relevant, but "ape-ril" is a thing happening to support conservation of apes (specifically orang-utans).

http://www.ape-ril.org/

I bet neither of us has orange apes on our to do list, though?

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #596 on: April 03, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
Not germane really, but I do have all those gorillas I bought to be maneaters and giants for my savage orcs in 6th or 7th...

:engel:
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #597 on: April 04, 2016, 04:41:25 AM »

Boiler Suit Apes?

Flying Monkeys?

I'll just stick with Ap-giant-ril... Gigantapril... Aprilmongous... eh, whatevs. I've now got four completely prepped & primed giants on my table, ready for painting. (And a handful of vampires, and a Middenheim mage, if that might interest anyone above. :wink: )

The Ultraforge giant is definitely huge. I'd be curious to see it next to the massive old Grenadier giant with the tree-mace (I have a friend who has that one -- so I might be able to get a pic sometime in the future) or the old Forgeworld one. I actually had one of the Forgeworld giants (the better one, even!), but sold it when I was in school and desperate for things like food and shelter. :x

I've sorted my giants into three classes... the smallest is most of the skeletal giants I've done, plus a couple of Reaper giants and one repainted pre-painted D&D (?) giant. The mid range includes the Albion giants, my scratch sculpted rat giant, and surprisingly enough, the Marauder giant. The big guys are the rest of what I'm prepping now Warploque, Colossal Skelleton, and Ultraforge.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:54:09 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #598 on: April 04, 2016, 09:13:01 PM »
Vempires eh? I like Vampires...

Will your three Giant categories each share a base size? Just wondering how you're handling that. Are you standardizing those on 40mm squares like your infantry models? What size base do those big guys actually need?

I found something giantish in my "to do" box, though it isn't worthy of the description next to your guys so I can join in a little bit! I've got some proper giants on my "long range planning" - so some time before I die, hoepfully

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #599 on: April 05, 2016, 03:07:12 AM »
The "2XL" giants, above, are all going on 80x80 bases. That seems to be the smallest size a couple of them will fit on, and works well as it's similar to a square unit of 16 human infantry on 20mm bases, or four of my 40x40 bases in a square formation.

The size "L" and "XL" giants are all staying on 50x50 bases.

Broccoli Walkoli... Menace or ally? Sentient chaos vegetation, or nature fighting back? Who can tell...