home

Author Topic: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time  (Read 183401 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (28/02/15)
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16:31 PM »
Suspicions over the murder of Wilhelm van den Nijmenk grew, when the Directorate grasped the opportunity to bring the Church under its control and brazenly and  illegally interfered in the succession of Wilhelm van den Nijmenk. Because of his age, Wilhelm himself had requested the Grand Theogonist to appoint Lodewijk van Grimpengratz as coadiutor cum iure successionis (Arch Lector coadjutor with the right of succession). Lodewijk’s main task as coadjutor had been the church administration and pastoral care for the Archdiocese extra muros (outside the city walls, i.e. Westerland and Nordland), relieving Wilhelm from remote and burdensome travels through often inhospitable terrain. Like Wilhelm, he was known to be unwavering in his loyalty to the Church of Sigmar. On hearing the news of Wilhelm’s death, Lodewijk, who happened to be in Kalkaat, immediately left for Marienburg, only to find the gates closed to him by the Directorate!

1. Lodewijk van Grimpengratz before the closed gates of Marienburg. 

1. Diebold Schilling, Spiezer Chronik , p.190 (1484/5), Mss.h.h.I.16, Burgerbibliothek, Bern.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:37:22 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (12/03/15)
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »
The Directorate claimed to have evidence that Melet might have been part of a wider conspiracy, and that Lodewijk’s security in the city could not be guaranteed. A claim many in the Empire and Marienburg assumed to be true – but about a conspiracy by the Directorate! While Lodewijk was waiting in vain to be granted entry, the Directorate was trying to bribe and bully the canons of the Cathedral Chapter into replacing Lodewijk by a candidate – any candidate – in favour of independence.

According to the Codex Iuris Canonici Sigmari (Code of the Canon Law of Sigmar), the election of an Arch Lector is the prerogative of the canons of the Cathedral Chapter, although the other clerics of the archdiocese have a consultative voice and the right of consent. In principle, therefore, the Chapter could decide to ignore the coadjutor and elect someone else. However, Canon Law also stipulated that no election was valid unless and until confirmed by the Grand Theogonist. Furthermore, the Arch Lector elect needed to be ordained by at least one Arch Lector in function.

In spite of the threats and promises, the majority of the canons rejected the Directorate’s interference. I was also clear that there was no chance of consent for such a move from the clergy extra muros. But even among the Sigmarite clergy, there are men whose faith is outweighed by their ambitions and desires. The Directorate found such a man in Otto von Sonnefurt, Dean of the Cathedral Chapter of Marienburg. Otto saw a chance of realising his hopes of succeeding Wilhelm van den Nijmenk, which had been dashed, when Lodewijk was appointed as Arch Lector coadjutor. As Dean of the Cathedral Chapter, Otto organised an impromptu election, at a time when only the “Marienburg minority” happened to be present – which duly elected him as new Arch Lector.  Obviously, the Directorate immediately recognised this completely illegal election. For the Directorate, Otto von Sonnefurt was the perfect candidate, because, as a Wissenlander, he had no real connections or power base within Marienburg and the Westerland, and would be therefore dependent on the continued support of Directorate.

On the left, Grand Theogonist Nicolaus appoints Lodewijk van Grimpengratz as Archilector coadiutor cum iure successionis ; on the right the illegal election of Otto von Sonnefurt by a "rump" Chapter.

1. Diebold Schilling the Younger, Luzerner Chronik (1513) Zentralbibliothek Luzern, depicting the Konstanzer Bistumstreit (1474-1480) on which the current story is loosely based.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:38:12 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (16/03/15)
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2015, 11:01:27 PM »
When the Provost of the Chapter and the Chancellor of the Archdiocese vehemently protested against this flagrant breach of Canon Law, Otto had them arrested by the Directorate on charges of sedition and witchcraft.

A note on ecclesiastical heraldry

As shown in the picture above, the election took place  hidden away in a lateral chapel of the cathedral. Later, after the schism with Altdorf had occurred, Otto von Sonnefurt would place his coat of arms on the keystone of the ribbed vault of the chapel, no doubt symbolising himself as the keystone of the so-called Reformed Church of Sigmar.

1. Otto von Sonnefurt's coat of arms.

Quartered, 1 and 4: Argent, a cross gules; 2: Azure, the sun in his glory argent on ford; 3: Or, in pale three lions passant gardant sable; for a Crest an Arch Lector’s Mitre Or and Azure.

A Reformed Church needs a reformed coat of arms. In the quarters 1 & 4, we see the new coat of arms of the Reformed Church Archdiocese of Marienburg – reversing the old colours, and now suspiciously similar to the coat of arms of the Archdiocese of Altdorf. An indication, perhaps, that Otto harboured even higher ambitions? The second quarter contains the canting (i.e. alluding to the name) arms of Sonnefurt, and the third quarter Otto’s family coat of arms, with the (Wissenland) lions reversed in heraldic courtesy to the coat of arms of the archdiocese.

The old coat of arms of the Archdiocese of Marienburg continued to be in use with the orthodox Sigmarites, even if the see remained vacant.

1. Coat of arms of  Otto von Sonnenberg, Bishop of Konstanz (1474 /1481 bis 1491), and one of the contenders in the Konstanzer Bistumsstreit. Church of St. Moritz, Hallau (Kanton Schaffhausen), Switzerland. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:39:13 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (18/03/15)
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
It seems approriate to add here the coat of arms of the other archdioceses, as depicted in the Armorial of Cornrad Grünenberg.

From right to left (in order of precedence): the Archdiocese of Altdorf, Nuln and Talabheim (the charge of the latter symbolising the Talabheim crater). All three bear not only a mitre, but also a helmet, indicating their status as ecclesiastical Electors.

1. The coats of arms of the Archdiocese/Electorate of Trier, Cologne, and Mainz (right to left). Wappenbuch Conrads von Grünenberg (ca. 1480) p. 12, BSB CGM 145, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. München.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:40:49 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Thank you. I have finally decided that it would be better to inverse the campaigns, which needs some rewriting. I had planned to do that in one go, merging all the previous posts, but that would take some time. It is easier to do piecemeal, and finish the third (now second) campaign, as long as you do not mind the resulting inconsistencies. That said, anyone familiar with Warhammer fluff should not really have a problem.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
That's great to hear, this history of the Empire you've compiled is fantastic!  :smile2:

I also really like that coat of arms you posted for the archdioceses, the designs are top-notch.

(On a more humorous note, that coat of arms also looks like the bishop hat and knight helm are talking to eachother.)

From left to right: Bishop hat: Hey, hey! Want to know something?
                                  Knight helm: .... (just ignore him)...

Bishop hat: Hey! Hey! Hey, are you listening?
                                Knight helm: (Grrr)Ok, what?

Bishop hat: Nothing...
                                 Knight helm: Seriously!?

"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Looks like it, doesn't it.

The Second Campaign against Marienburg (continued)

Lodewijk van Grimpengratz immediately appealed to the Grand Theogonist, who, unsurprisingly, confirmed his investiture as Arch Lector of Marienburg.  The Grand Thegogonist also issued the bull Ad Compescendos in support of Lodewijk.

Ad futuram rei memoriam. Ad compescendos conatus nepharios perversorum qui dei  timore postposito suaque ducti concupiscentia ecclesias presertim cathedrales sine canonico titulo inuadere et occupare presumunt, tanto magis nos decet oportuno remedio prouidere quanto peramplius tendūnt  in diuine maiestatis offensam apostolice sedis auctoritatis contemptum et scandalum plurimorum. Si quis  aūtem hoc attemptare persumpserit indignationem. omnipotentis dei et beatorum apostolorum eius se nouerit incursurum.a

Translated from the Classical, this means:

For future memory. To curb the nepharious attempts of the perverted individuals who, having put aside the fear of our God and led by their burning desire, presume to invade and seize churches, especially cathedrals, without canonical title, it is fitting for us to provide a remedy in ths time of need, even more so as they have given utmost offense to the divine majesty, shown comtempt for the authority of our Apostolic See, and created a scandal for many. But if any man presumes to attempt this, let him know that he will incur the wrath of our almighty God and of his blessed apostles.

1. Grand Theogonist Nicolaus V promulgating the bull Ad Compescendos

a. Text of the papal bull "Ad compescendos" by pope Sixtus IV in 1475, regarding the election of the bischop of Konstanz.
1. Diebold Schilling, Spiezer Chronik , p.581 (1484/5), Mss.h.h.I.16, Burgerbibliothek, Bern.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:58:21 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
well, the pictures don't work as well for me with the church-related stuff. too christian (crosses and hair) not enough Sigmar (hammers and baldness). I imagine the latter would be hard to find. but, the text is as entertaining and informative as I've come to expect of this thread. your efforts are much appreciated.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Thanks. Of course, the cross is in fact a Sigmarite symbol, representing the four wind directions and thus the (ultimate) extent of the Sigmarite Empire.  The source books also make clear that there is a division of labour within the Sigmarite Church between the more military and more pastoral side. But fear not! Lodewijk will soon don his armour.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (28/05/15)
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
The Second Campaign against Marienburg (continued)

With the bull Ad Compescendos in hand, Lodewijk van Grimpengratz appealed for support throughout his diocese. Many of the faithful  flocked to his cause, but, unsurpisingly, the main military support came from the Elector of Nordland, who saw this as an opportunity to bolster his claim to the Westerland. 

1. [

Lodwijk van Grimpengratz receiving the support of the Nordland Elector. Note that the Nordland banner at that time only contained the depiction of a sea eagle. The now familiar galley was added to the Nordland coat of arms after Dietershafen became the seat of the Second Imperial Fleet.

1 . Diebold Schilling, Spiezer Chronik , p.482 [modified] (1484/5), Mss.h.h.I.16, Burgerbibliothek, Bern.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:59:03 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (25/10/15)
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2015, 08:22:22 AM »
Nice to have this back. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (25/10/15)
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2016, 04:29:13 PM »
In this way, an army of about 7.000 men was mustered.  While the core of the army was made up of regular Nordland units, the bulk consisted of Westerland militia. The army lacked coherence between such disparate units. Upon the news that Lodewijk was marching towards Marienburg, the Directorate assembled the City Militia, reinforced with mercenaries, and the two armies met at Salfen. What the Sigmarite army lacked in structure, it made up for in zeal. Inspired by Sigmar, Lodewijk led the faithful to victory. 

1. The battle of Salfen

1 . Diebold Schilling, Spiezer Chronik , p.516 (1484/5), Mss.h.h.I.16, Burgerbibliothek, Bern.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:01:01 PM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2016, 07:49:51 AM »
Still amusing, keep it coming!  :biggriin:
cheers,
Lee

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #189 on: July 18, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
Thank you. The destruction of WFB caused me to put the whole project into question, but I guess, I should at least try to finish the reign of Wilhem III.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »
Make others die for you.

The Art of War by a Marienburger general

-Z

I think this might be more accurate. :-P
Or like what Patton said; "It's not your job to die for your country; it's your job to make the other poor bastard die for his!"

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:29 AM »
I just finished reading through this topic, and would like to express my utmost appreciation of it  :happy:
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
wow is right  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
Thank you both. I promise I will continue this eventually (cross my heart and hope to die).

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
Thank you both. I promise I will continue this eventually (cross my heart and hope to die).
Please do; I, for one, will certainly keep reading this....

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
For those not interested: I had just finished the next installment, when - you know. So, I am going to re-image the previous posts first.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
For those not interested: I had just finished the next installment, when - you know. So, I am going to re-image the previous posts first.
Hmm, you had changed the imaging style? Or are you referring to GW killing off WHFB....?

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2017, 05:00:02 PM »
It is rather Photobucket that changed the imaging style...

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
No, no, their bad...