home

Author Topic: Found Better Original Versions/Artists Because of Cover  (Read 387 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Found Better Original Versions/Artists Because of Cover
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:01:30 AM »

Similar to the other thread regarding cover songs that are better than the originals, has anyone else been grateful for cover songs for introducing them to the (possibly better) original artists?

Ages ago in my youth, my girlfriend at the time bought the This Mortal Coil boxed set, which had three CDs of TMC songs. (For those not familiar, they were a rotating collaborative group of artists from various bands -- I think mostly/all on the 4AD label -- doing both original and cover songs.) There was a fourth CD that, for me, was the most interesting. It contained the original versions of many of the songs that the band had covered. In many cases, I liked the originals better and became a new fan of some of the original artists.

Notable original artists & songs that caught my ear...

Kangaroo and Holocaust by Big Star
I Am the Cosmos & You and Your Sister by Chris Bell (also a member of Big Star)
Til I Gain Control Again by Emmylou Harris
Song to the Siren & I Must Have Been Blind by Tim Buckley
Carolyn's Song by Rain Parade (I like the original, but not the other songs I've heard by them -- though I'm a Mazzy Star fan!)

And although I was familiar with The Byrds, I had never heard "I Come and Stand at Every Door" which is a flat out amazing song. (Especially since I had also read John Hershey's "Hiroshima" at just about the same time, and could freshly relate it to his graphic account of the incident that inspired the song.)

I know there have been others since then, but I always appreciated the fact that TMC published an entire CD of songs by the original artists that inspired them.

Anyone else have some "found great original song/artist because of cover" songs?

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Found Better Original Versions/Artists Because of Cover
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:48:04 PM »
Simon and Garfunkel after hearing the terrible version of The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

:^)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 04:51:54 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »
I heard the guns and roses version of "sympathy for the devil" and kinda liked it, and then heard the Rolling Stones original, and was pleased.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Qrab

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 03:35:24 AM »
Way back when I heard Battalion of Saints do Ace of Spades. Didn't hear the Motörhead version until much later, but ... Motörhead.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 11:40:26 PM »
One of my fav bands is filter and I'm fairly sure the first song of theirs I heard was a cover. It was on the x files album which incidentally is great.