home

Author Topic: 2000pts Stirland ... now vs High Elves  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Nikali

• Members
2000pts Stirland ... now vs High Elves
« on: April 09, 2013, 11:05:01 AM »
Hi all,

Another battle report from my growing Stirland force, this time 2000pts against new daemons. My list as follows

Arch Lector with Hv Arm, Enchanted shield, Talisman of Endurance and Sword of Striking   
Wizard Lord, Lvl 4 light
Warrior priest, with Hv Arm, Barded Warhorse, Sheild, Dragonhelm
Captain on Pegasus with Full plate, Shield and lance     
Captain BSB with Full plate and Charmed shield
Witch hunter with brace of pistols

23x Swordsmen (BSB here) + full command
2x detachments of 5x archers
9x IC knights (mounted priest) + full command

28x Greatswords (Lector + Witch Hunter) + full command
3x Demi-gryph knights with musician
1x Cannon
1x Helblaster

I don't feel like this is anywhere near an optimum list, but I'm a bit short of models at present. I left out the engineer because I was planning to run double cannons (but my friend brought the wrong model). I took the witch hunter mainly for fluff reasons!

His force was small and pure Khorne!

Khorne Herald on blood throne
24x Bloodletters + full command
24x Bloodletters + full command
9 Hounds of Khorne
Blood cannon chariot thing!

We rolled blood and glory for scenario - which put him a disadvantage being somewhat short on standards. His character was riding a chariot so I just accused a std bearer with my witch hunter ... 'you sir are a daemon and evil' (more of a fact than an accusation really!  :icon_smile:

Terrain saw lots of woods in his mid deployment and a temple on my left hand side. I made a pretty poor job of deployment, his denied flank and the temple really got in the way. In fact all through this game I made some poor decisions on movement, spell choice and general tactics!

I rolled Shem's Burning Gaze, Pha's Protection, Net of Amyntok and Banishment (so no timewarp which which was disappointing).

Deployment looks like this

Battle report to follow....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:13:47 AM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: 2000pts Stirland vs Daemons
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
Turn 1: Stirland

I rolled first turn but stood firm with most of my guys. The archers moved up to intercept, AR2 facing to make sure hounds over-run would miss my swords. The pegasus flew wide up the flank, out of charge arc and facing left to counter-charge. The hellblaster was well out of range, but I figured he'd move up soon enough.

The magic pool was pretty good, started with banishment on his hounds but his Magic resistance saved all but one wound. I then tried a long range Burning Gaze on BL1 which was useless. Not a great start the daemonic resistance to magic was clearly frustrating my wizard.

The cannon took aim at his cannon chariot but rolled short on the bounce - the daemons cackled at me!

So pretty poor start really...

Turn 1: Khorne

Never thought I'd say this - but most of his Khorne horde stood still!?? The hounds charged my archers, making it easily (stand and shoot bounced off his thick hide). His cannon took a pot shoot at my Hellblaster but rolled miss-fire... can't shoot next turn... ha Khorne thats what you get for trying to outgun the empire!

The hound combat was plain messy, he completely shredded my poor archers and overran past the swordsmen - at least that put him out the way for another turn but he's now right in my back field.

Turn 2: Stirland

Most of his army standing still kind of put me off - he must has some cunning plan? I couldn't quite decide how to deal with his hounds but wanted to give the Hellblaster something to do.

So I moved the GS and Swords up and left, leaving a site line for the volley gun to the hounds. I figure a lucky roll would make a good dent but definitely not finish them. Pegasus moved back to take on re-direct duties next turn. The knights and DGK move up either side of the temple, giving options for charge and flank charge.

My magic phase was crazy... I rolled 8 plus two channels. Daemonic randomness killed 11 bloodletters (not sure what this rule is called but so far I like it!). I dropped another two with burning gaze and dropped Net of Amyntok on BL1. Not really my own doing but the daemons ranks were thinning out!

Time to show Khorne what artillery is about... cannon took a shot at the blood cannon - missfire destroyed!  :icon_evil:
Helblaster blasted away at the hounds but despite 14 shoots caused no wounds! seriously!   :eusa_wall:

Turn 2: Khorne

I think he realised waiting around wasn't going to work (and he was a bit sore from loosing 13 bloodletters!). Everything advanced but BL1 failed the net strength test and had to stay put (no wounds though). The hounds turned around and that was about it... makes for a quick game

Turn 3: Stirland

Kind of regretting not turning the GS and Swordmasters towards the hounds... could have double charged this turn. Instead I opted to drop the Pegasus in front of them to take a charge and have another blast with the volley gun. GS and Swords moved up a little to avoid any over-run rear charge.

The magic phase wasn't quite as exciting, he gained a bonus 1 to ward saves (more chaos god randomness), I dropped three move bloodletters with Shem's burning gaze but everything else bounced off or dispelled.

Hellblaster had another go at the hounds - first dice missfire  :icon_rolleyes: (why didn't I take an engineer?), leaving only 7 shoots which again failed to wound!  :eusa_wall:

Turn 3: Khorne

His hounds charged my pegasus, no surprise. He tried to charge the knights with the cannon chariot but failed the distance. Herald on the blood throne charge my Archers who closed there eyes and prayed to sigmar! Otherwise his bloodletters moved up at full speed.

Apparently blood cannon's are move or shoot so he fired at my knights - splat two dead!

The archer combat was brutal - 7 impact hits killed them instantly. He over-ran and ploughed into my greatswords (more impact hits to look forward to then!).

The Pegasus faired better, he managed to kill a hound and only took one wound in return. Loosing combat but easily passing the break test.

Turn 4: Stirland

Time for payback! The knights charge the blood cannon and the demi-gryphs flank charge the herald / throne. Everything makes it which leaves the  Hellblaster with no target (doesn't look quite right on the map).

Magic is pretty good 10PD, my wizard knocks off two more bloodletters with Burning Gaze but Banishment is dispelled. This leaves me with plenty of dice for prayers. He dispel shield on the knights but I get Hammer of Sigmar and both hammer and shield on the Greatswords!

Fear very nearly scuppered me here. Firstly the knights failed on 11... they needed six's to hit but thankfully the hatred re-roll helped me score one wound. He killed another knight in return but lost combat by 2 (banner and charge). His daemonic instablity roll was awful... the chariot was destroyed and I over-ran along side his bloodletters :icon_eek:

His herald challenged, which I refused and the Lector moved to the back. He rolled a nasty 7 impact hits, which couple with Herald's 6 attacks  killed 6 greatswords (the prayer ward save really helped). My demi-gryphs fluffed it and failed to wound but the greatswords lived up to reputation - 5 wounds destroying chariot. Rank bonus and standard won me the combat and he took 1 wound from daemonic instability. (1 wound left - so close to victory!).

The Pegaus did well in this round, taking no wounds and inflicting three, with a further two from instability.

Turn 4: Khorne

This was going to hurt! He charged BL1 into the flank of my Demi-gryphs and BL2 into the Swordmen, both making it easily.

We started with the Swordsmen, he challenged with his champion and my duellist stepped up to the mark... stalemate, no wounds either way. His bloodletters faired better killing 5 and winning combat by 1 or 2 (can't quite remember the score but my BSB definately helped). Swordsmen held firm - no worries

Now we moved to the big event, his herald squatted five of my Greatswords, then his Bloodletters laid into my Demi-gryphs... three killing blows and three dead chickens (in hind site, I don't think KB works on Monstrous Cav?). Before they die the Demi-gryphs slash up a bloodletter and then my greatswords lay into the Herald, killing him with wounds to spare!

Technically this a victory to me - he's dropped to fortitude 2 after loosing his general, but we decide to play on because it look like Daemons might pull this back.

My great swords fail the stubborn break test, even with a re-roll! I run 8 inches but he doesn't catch me :icon_eek:

The pegasus captain was obviously disheartened by the death screams of three demi-gryphons and fluffed his attacks, in return he got chewed up! Hound reform to face the main combat.

Turn 5: Stirland

My cowardly greatswords rally and turn to face the bloodletters. The knights reform but are too far out to make a difference.

I roll 10 again for the magic phase but get greedy - I chance 2 dice boosted Pha's protection and promptly fail it! Leaving me 8 dice for prayers on the greatswords! I roll 3 on shield which he dispel but hammer on 5 goes through easily.

The Hellblaster finally makes a difference, dropping three bloodletters despite rolling a missfire.

In combat his champion squashes mine and the bloodletters kill another 4 swords. The BSB and swordmens kill three in return, loose combat but pass the break test with ease. Swordsmen are showing impressive stamina and determination.

Turn 5: Khorne

Their last turn to really make it count... he charges the Bloodletters and Hounds into my Greatswords. It doesn't look good!

Starting with the swordsmen - he challenges and my BSB promptly crushes his champion.. ha ha. Now his bloodletters have a go at my Swordsmen, but an incredible 5 6's to save denies him all but 2 wounds. I might actually win this round but the swords fail to make an impression. I pass another break test but I'm running out of guys!

The greatsword combat is fairly messy, his bloodletters and hounds kill 5 of my grizzled veterans. Hatred and hammer of sigmar helps my guys hack up 4 bloodletters and another hound. (think I still lost but past stubborn test?)

This is still close, if he finishes my GS and swords he'll be on top. No movement, I wanted to charge with the hellbaster but I'm told that's not possible. Magic was good again... I cast boosted Pha's but he dispels it, he also dispels shield of faith but I get Hammer again.

The swordsmen grudge match has to end this turn? He kill's six of my guys and I only manage two in return... but they don't care 1,1,2 on the three dice break test!

The Great swords will be the decider, but the bloodletters and hounds combined only kill five greatswords. My hardened veterans were obviously desperate to see the last of his daemonic spawn - dishing out 7 unsaved wounds. He's doesn't have enough to negate my rank bonus so I win by 3 and the last of his models fade away from daemonic instability.

Now facing GS in the flank and IC knights in the rear he concedes!  :eusa_clap:

Have that Khorne scum, that brings me to 3 wins and 1 loss, but more importantly ends the chaos reign of terror at our club (warriors or daemons on a 8 game win steak I think).

Glory to Stirland and many thanks to Chaos gods for killing their own evil spawn!

Nikali
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:36:39 AM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
My thoughts on this lot....

Not really sure I deserved to win this one, luck had a big part to play...

My own spells didn't really dent his units but the chaos randomness made a mess on turn 2. The buffs helped a lot but there were two rounds when I should have cast Pha's protection on more dice.

I really should have turned the GS and Swords to face his hounds and smashed them earlier in the game. I was lucky the Pegasus held them up for long enough to keep them away.

In turn one I aimed cannon 10 inches from front of base - it would have hit if I've gone 10 inches from rear.

Should have reformed IC knights after killing the blood cannon - they would either have taken a charge from his BL (keeping the Demi's alive) or been able to rear charge in turn 5.

GS remain amazing, even despite failing a LD9 re-rolled, archers did their job and swordsmen impressed.

Khorne magic resistance is impressive and Khorne hounds are tough but bloodletters where fairly underwhelming.

Hellbaster remains useless!

Nick

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:31 PM »
You're too hard on yourself. You completely deserve that win. He played a close combat army like a shooty one and though I'm sure he had a plan at the time it looks like it wasn't a very good one. He also didn't take any magic and your wizard, despite being lvl4, didn't really perform. That was almost as much bad luck toward you as his chaos rolls were to him.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline Daeron

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
This is a fine battle report. Thank you very much for taking the effort!

I can't comment on the tactics a lot, since I'm too much of a newbie with both Empire and Daemons, but I could note a few things on the rules:
- Your suspicion is correct. Killing blow only works against regular models, being infantry, cavalry, warbeasts or infantry-ish characters (so a character on a peg can be killing blowed, but monstrous cavalry can't be). The demigryphs wouldn't have been subject to killing blow and AFAIK that implies the gryphons also hadn't their armor negated on a killing blow roll.
- The daemonic randomness during the magic phase is called "Reign of Chaos". Unless an FAQ changed it, the rules read that a player should check the reign of chaos table whenever he rolls for the winds of magic. This means: on his turn.. and his turn only... although the effects can impact both friendly and enemy units on the table as the rules explicitly state.
- The rules explicitly state that a unit can not shoot if it marched or charged. Skirmishers are an exception, and can fire even if they marched and their weapon permits it. This is explicitly stated in the skirmisher rules. Chariots do not have any mention, probably because they can't march. The Daemon rules explicitly mention that the chariot can move and shoot. But this does not counter the BRB rule that he can fire the cannon during the same turn in which it failed a charge! It can move during the movement phase and still shoot, but not fail a charge and shoot. It's a powerful unit, but there's still rules to respect... even for a Daemon :D

It was a fair win, and sure, dice can go a little this way or that... but you created opportunities and far more than him. Your units supported each other better than his.. and if it weren't for the KB on the demigryphs, this battle might have ended sooner for him.

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »
Thanks for comments, much appreciated.

I'll let him know about the reign of chaos thing - he was a bit despondent about the rule changes and that would help! At the same time I can correct him on the Killing Blow (you are correct I would have had armour saves... at 2+ no less).

I was also a bit suspect about the cannon firing... but sometimes you have to let one go to keep the game flowing. He wasn't intentionally cheating after all.

Thanks again for comments, I find writing the reports a good way to reflect on my own tactics but it's nice to know someone else enjoys!

Nick

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 06:12:44 AM »
Hi all,

Played another game against High Elves yesterday. 2000pts and now I have a few more knights I decided to go knight heavy

My list:

Arch Lector - Hv Arm, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Sword of Striking
Wizard Lord - Lvl 4 (light), Dispel Scroll

Captain on Pegasus, Full plate, Shield, Luckstone
Warrior priest on Barded warhorse, Hv Armour, Shield, Dragonhelm
Captain BSB, Full plate, Charmed Shield

9x Inner Circle Knights with Lance, Full Command and Gleaming Penant
5x Vannila Knight with Lances and Musician
5x Vannila Knight with Lances and Musician

28 Greatswords with Full Command and Banner of Swiftness
5 Archer detachment
3 Demi-gryph Knights with Musician
Great Cannon
Great Cannon

High elf force was basically a fighting gunline

20 Seaguard with BSB Noble
20 Seaguard with Archmage - Lvl 3 (Metal)
20 Swordmasters
20 White Lions
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
2 Eagles

So not many good targets for cannons but lots of great weapon wielders to chop up my knight and metal magic ... sigh. Still no bolt throwers and 50 strength 3 bows isn't scaring my 1+ saves!

I rolled pretty good for spells - Burning Gaze, Speed of Light, Banishment and Birona's Timewarp

He rolled not so well - Searing Doom, Enchanted Blades and Golden Hounds

We rolled battleline for scenario, so nothing fancy but the random terrain was bizarrely one sided. I got to choose board sides so I dropped him in open ground. Deployment looks like this:

He rolled first turn....

Nick

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: 2000pts Stirland vs High Elves
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 06:13:14 AM »
Turn 1: High Elves

He won first turn and promptly realised he was out of range, so his whole line moved forward 5". The Shadow warriors in the wood stayed put, I was a bit worried about these, given that the majority of my army would take difficult terrain test to attack them. Both eagles flew up to threaten my cannons, trying to keep out of demi's charge arc.

Moving on to magic and I was a bit nervous about facing metal magic... he rolled double 5 for winds!  :icon_frown:

1st off he rolled 7 dice boosted Searing Doom on my IC Knights rolling Irresistable force (Yes I know 7 isn't allowed, I missed it until after and he rolled three 6's anyway). 2D6 hits at 2+ shredded 5 of the Stirlands finest warriors! This wouldn't have been too bad, except 'staff of solidity' saved him from miscast affects.

He finished the phase with 3 dice Golden Hounds but I three my five dice at it and dispelled. I passed panic test easily

He now opened up with the bows, but the combination of hitting on 5's, 4's to wound and my 1+ armour proved difficult to overcome... only one knight fell.

Turn 1: Stirland

Not a great start, the massacre of over half my IC knight hammer unit kind of put me off my stride. But I figured the best way to take his mage out of action was get into combat, so everything moved forward and the DGK moved into position for flanking. The Pegi parked himself infront of the rear most eagle - hopefully the front eagle would take a cannon ball to the face!

My magic wasn't quite as potent, I rolled 8 but giving him 5. Starting with 4 dice Banishment on the swordmasters, who were just in range and LoS. He threw all five dice to dispel. Leaving me four dice for Burning Gaze but he dispelled it with his scroll (big mistake I think).

In shooting the 1st cannon performed admirably and reduced one eagle to bloody feathers. The second tried for a long range cross board shot at the white lions but bounced short.

Not particularly inspiring so far, kind of wished I'd taken a Hellblaster.

Turn 2: High Elves

I was sort of hoping he'd loose his nerve and attempt a couple of max range charges that could leave him out of position but no such luck. His army stood still and bent their bows. I'm surprised the eagle didn't do something, my Pegi only blocked charge (he could have flown over?). The only movement was his 2nd Shadow master unit, who moved up to screen the White lions.

His magic phase wasn't inspiring and I added an extra dispel dice with channeling, he tried another boosted Searing doom but miscast and lost concentration ... phew

Next he turned the sky dark with a cloud of arrows .... 50 shots but not a single knight fell .... I'm starting to feel a bit better

Turn 2: Stirland

Most of my units are now within longish charge range, so time to get stuck in (might have been a bit optimistic). Knights 1 and the depleted IC Knights declare on his 1st Seaguard unit whilst Knights 2 charge his Shadow Warriors. The IC knights loose another man to the stand and shoot, then to my annoyance fail the distance. Both vanilla knights make the charge.

I thought about charging the Swordmasters with my DGK, but they would have clipped the wood (taking difficult terrain) and I didn't fancy that match up. To prevent a flank charge by his Swordmasters, I decided to sacrifice my Pegi and dropped him by their front corner. The Greatswords moved up and the Archer/Wizard squeezed within 12" of Knights 1. 

My magic phase was okay, Timewarp on Knights 1 to give them a fighting chance, Banishment on the 2nd Seaguard unit was dispelled but I got Shield of Sigmar on the Greatswords (on the off chance he charged next turn).

Shooting wasn't ideal, the 1st cannon rolled short of the remaining eagle. The second hit him but clearly it was only a glancing blow that left him with 1 wound.

Combat went pretty well... we both had ASF, but at least he lost the re-roll to hit and the Noble with great weapon wasn't in combat. None of my knights fell and my extra attacks helped me kill 4 in return. I win combat but he stays put on a re-roll.

The 2nd Knights unit also took no looses and skewered 3 elves. He broke, ran a miserable 3"... I over-ran and just clip his White Lions. Which means both his elite units are tied up next turn.

Turn 3: High Elves

He reformed his units into defensive formation (technically the two in combat did it last turn after passing Ld tests). Then charged my Pegi with the Swordmasters. The remaining eagle declared charge on my 1st cannon, but he rolled three 1's for the charge... clearly the cannon blow had crippled it!

Magic wasn't great, he cast Searing Doom on my Greatswords which killed 3 and then shooting dropped 2 more (forgot this on map). The Sword masters shot the Demi-gryph's and bounced off.

In combat I really needed to hold across the table to keep his units in place, but I wasn't optimistic about the Pegasus and I've heard White Lion's dish out some hurt. But it started well, the Pegasus Captain took 7 wounds at -2 save, saved all but two and re-rolled one for Luckstone! Then with the help of his mount he smashed down 3 in return - I actually won combat! He stayed put.

The 1st knights armour was proving effective, even with the added punch of the Nobles great weapon they all survived. I only killed on in return. He had 3 ranks and 2 standards so I lost but held firm. Now we moved to the White Lions and I have to say I was unimpressed, a small handful of strength 6 attacks, two Knights lay dead but I was unimpressed. I killed 3 in return, he won by 1 and I stayed put.

So that sort of went to plan, amazingly the Pegi was still in the fight and his swordmasters where open to multiple charges

Turn 3: Stirland

Demi-gryph's charged the Swordmasters and depleted IC Knights charged their flank. Greatswords where 9" out but with Banner of Swiftness made charge easily! Stand and shoot killed 2 more Greatswords. Finally my Archers moved up to leave the wizard within 12" of both combats.

The magic phase was a dream, I rolled 11 on the winds plus 1 channel! So much choice I didn't know what to do first, but needed to tempt out his dispel dice. Starting with 2 dice Shield of Faith on the Greatswords - 11! He rolled 2 to dispel but failed it - happy day. Next I rolled 6 dice on boosted Birona's timewarp 22+4! I got Shield of Faith on the IC Knights but failed, then Speed of Light on my Greatswords which he failed to dispel. Happy days

In shooting the 1st cannon bounced short of his Eagle (you may be detecting a theme!) but the second clip the back of his base and finished him off.

Now for combat, we started at the left side. Swordmaster's still went 1st with higher initiative, taking another wound from the Pegasus but concentrating on the Demi-Gryphs, killing one and wounding a second. Time for payback... 8 str6, 6 str5, 8 str4, 3 str3 attacks plus stomps brought down 8 Swordmasters leaving him double 1 to stay. He ran and I cut him down  :icon_twisted:

The Demi-gryphs came just short of over-running into the 1st Seaguard combat, otherwise my guys reformed (which generally I cocked up but never mind!)

The Noble in the Seaguard unit clearly wanted payback, he smashed down two of my Knights. I killed two in return but stopped in combat. Then we moved onto the right side, where surprisingly the Knights survived and stayed put - usefully holding the White Lions up for another turn.

Time for the main event. My greatswords, with Hatred, Timewarp and Speed of Light. The Captain and Arch Lector went first killing 3 Seaguard between them. Now I had 23 attacks with my Greatswords - 3's to wound with re-roll and 2's to kill  :evil: .... I killed 17 Seaguard leaving only the Archmage who failed to wound, ran and got cut down! That was just plain nasty!

I was surprised he didn't give up at this point, but he's well known for clinging on to the bitter end

Turn 4: High Elves

He had very little choices now, the Shadow warriors moved round to shoot, otherwise everything in combat.

No mage, so no magic. Bizarrely his shadow warriors had another pop at the Demi-gryph's, which bounced off (Pegi would have been far softer target!)

In combat the Noble and Seaguard failed to wound but I still lost and broke from combat. Fortunately I rolled high leaving him just short of my Archers and with IC Knights facing the flank. The White Lions finally finished off my 2nd Knight unit and reformed to face my Greatswords.

Turn 4: Stirland

My fleeing Knight's rallied and reformed. The depleted IC Knights charged his Seaguard unit. I then got a bit confused about the skirmisher reform rules, couldn't be bothered to look them up so ran the wizard clear and kept them put. The DGK moved up (but really should have reformed to face south) and the Pegi flew across to flank the White Lions next turn.

Magic was pretty poor, I got greedy and tried 6 dice boosted Timewarp - but failed to cast. I used my last dice on prayers but he dispelled easily. In shooting both cannons bounced short of the Shadow Warriors  :eusa_wall:

I think my recent combat success went to my head, so I accepted the Noble's challenge with my Priest (mostly for the fun of it!). He scored 3 wounds and I rolled poorly to save... dead priest. The knights killed two spearmen but he won with a musician but I passed the break test

Turn 5: High Elves

His White Lion's predictably charge my Greatswords. No magic and the shadow warriors still have no luck shooting Demi-gryphs!

Combat was fairly messy, his white lions chop up 4 great swords and I kill 6 in return. I win combat but he stay's put on stubborn break test. Neither the Knights or Seaguard take any wounds but I loose combat and run. I end up just short of the wood and his Shadow Warriors but he doesn't catch me.

My two IC Knights fail to rally and run straight through the wood and his Shadow Warrior unit - so two lots of difficult terrain test. I roll double 6... then double 1! ahwell shouldn't matter.

Now I get a bit gung-ho and charge his Seaguard with my remaining two Knights and the Archers (Archers have done well for me in the past!). The Pegi charges the flank of his White Lions. My Demi-Gryphs can't see anything so wheel around to face the White Lion flank

Magic was disapointing, I failed both my prayers but I did get Timewarp on the Greatswords.

Shooting - 1st cannon missfires... 2nd cannon bounces short!  :eusa_wall: (rolled lots of 2's to hit+bounce in this game)

We started with the Seaguard unit. He managed to bring down a Knight and 4 Archers whilst my guys only killed two. So even with the rear charge bonus his two standard beat me and both units fail the break test. He runs me down to grab a few extra points (you might say consolation points!).

His White Lions concentrate on my Greatswords, but only kill 4  and with Timewarp and the Pegi in support I easily finish him off.

At this point he conceded

Hooray for Stirland and glory to the Empire... I 'm on a bit of a roll!

Hope you enjoyed, my memory failed me a bit in late game so the maps are a bit off and details don't seem quite right

Nick 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 08:40:35 AM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: 2000pts Stirland ... now vs High Elves
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
So after a scary first turn, that went pretty well. Star players were; Pegasus captain for holding the Swordmasters in place (not to mention killing about 9 elite high elves). Greatswords for slaughtering 20 Seaguard, Archmage and at least half his White Lions. Wizard lord for making my combat units lethal!

Pleased with my Knights in general, they are tough as hell. His horde formation helped, as a few rank bonus's early on would have made the difference.

Demi-gryphs were pretty handy and truth be told I could have rolled them into the 1st Seaguard unit on the over-run in turn 3. I rolled 9, my quick measure showed 8 and bit but I figured it wasn't too sporting. (this HE general has been suffering recently!)

Cannons were a bit redundant and rolling really badly (always aim 10" in front of rear of target), but otherwise my luck was good.

I'm slightly concerned that I missed interpreted the rules on ASF. If I cast Timewarp on Greatswords to counteract my Always strikes last, does it still counteract his ASF? I still would have massacred his Seaguard but might have lost more GS?

Nick

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Wow, that's impressive. I had the feeling your opponent was a bit reactive but you did have the more mobile force, so you could dictate what would happen.

When a unit has ASF and ASL, both cancel out and it does not have either anymore.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Martin123

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:25:52 AM »
the high elf player had some terrible luck in that game, and you had lots of good luck in that game :)

but well done for outplaying him :).

your high elf player should of been shooting searing doom everytime at the demigryph's no idea why he wasnt doing this... also if he had done this, your peg captain both cannons would of been taking panic tests with no re roll as your bsb was too far away.

but you got the combats right, need tie up whitelions with hordes, as they dont have the weight of attacks to break through... ( however how he only managed to kill 3 greatswords, with 14 attacks  ( by the number that died left ) was a terrible roll for him, as you had no Armour save vs his attacks...

the only thing that can hurt the demi's is white lions, so them been on a the opposite flank was really good from you..

also one thing i would of done, is once the threat of the eagle were dealth with, stop shooting your cannons, your just risking giving your opponent 120 points...

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:01:15 PM »
Thanks for feedback

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the luck went my way. Most of the times I rolled badly it didn't really matter (i.e cannons shooting shadow warriors etc). He might have killed more Greatswords than that, my recollection of the last few turns was a but hazy! But you are right his luck was poor (he always seems to roll better on his 're-roll to hit', which I mostly negated).

I can see the logic in not shooting the cannons, seems like a waste but when points are a factor it could be important.

Anyway I'm playing VC tomorrow with a similar list (upto 2250), not really sure what to expect as I haven't faced them before. Fingers crossed!

Nick

Offline Martin123

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
Thanks for feedback

Yeah I'm pretty sure most of the luck went my way. Most of the times I rolled badly it didn't really matter (i.e cannons shooting shadow warriors etc). He might have killed more Greatswords than that, my recollection of the last few turns was a but hazy! But you are right his luck was poor (he always seems to roll better on his 're-roll to hit', which I mostly negated).

I can see the logic in not shooting the cannons, seems like a waste but when points are a factor it could be important.

Anyway I'm playing VC tomorrow with a similar list (upto 2250), not really sure what to expect as I haven't faced them before. Fingers crossed!

Nick

VC can be anything, you peg captain is going be very useful in this game, killing etherals,

but one bit of advice i would say, is try and keep everything in a leadership and bsb bubble, as if he has terrogheists, and has first turn, that can be bye bye to your unit of gryph's

other then that i think VC and empire are well match, slightly more in empire favor :)