home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 643625 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #575 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:29 AM »
The doorkeeper has a large ring of keys, and a wooden club hanging from his belt. His body is covered in blood.

There's no sign yet of a watch patrol approaching. Maybe no one heard?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #576 on: June 20, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
"So, we got some keys. We can go back and search for more clues, burgle the place, burn it down, or just leave now. That black book might be all the incrimination we need! what do you think."
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #577 on: June 20, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
Julian searches Steinhager's office, in the area he thinks should contain a secret door judging by the unaccounted for space on the other side of the wall.

He finds a locked secret door behind the wood paneling. The doorman's keys don't fit the lock. He also finds a (locked) wall safe behind the painting of Bogenhafen.

The safe is difficult to break open, unsurprisingly. It takes Julian nearly fifteen minutes to open it - all the time checking with Heinrich that no one is coming.

At last, he manages to open it. Inside are two small but heavy cashboxes, which are also locked. It would be easier to take them away than try to open them here. Julian also finds a piece of parchment, which says, Remember that a beggar will be brought to the temple to consecrate it. The note is unsigned.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:28:10 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #578 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
Let's open the secret door. I hope heinrich is being vigilant!

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #579 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »
Heinrich continues to listen carefully, but no one is hammering at the doors so far. With the doorman dead, no one is likely to notice that anything is going on in the building at this time of night.

Julian finds opening the secret door quite easy after busting the safe. It's done in five minutes. On the other side is a staircase leading down. It ends at what looks like a stone wall, but Julian can see a lever mechanism that opens the door. Presumably the room where they fought the demon is on the other side.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #580 on: June 20, 2012, 08:06:09 PM »
Julian definitely pulls the lever.

Pass the machete.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #581 on: June 20, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
Klaus was kind of stunned about how much both....Max and Mortus spoke and about basically nothing very important ......at least Klaus thinks so as he didnīt understand most of the conversation but he considers that Mortus is hitting on Max and is unsure what to think about it.

"Bizzare" he speaks only half loud....

"Well back to business....the Ruggbroders might help us...or kill us if they are part of it. We have no time to waste on stories of Undead and women on fire. We should consider fleeing if we donīt like what we see if Greta returns. I still canīt put a shirt on but I guess I might be able to carry my goods...lets pack everything up and prepare to fly and escape through the backdoor of the inn.

Also where are Heinrich and Julian? Mortus do you have any idea? Did you find out anything about the demon worshippers?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #582 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:49 PM »
Julian pulls the lever. Sure enough, the stone wall slides open, revealing the chamber where he and Heinrich fought the demon. The room is completely empty - the cabinet, the copper circle and the star have vanished. The floor looks to have been re-tiled. The wooden door to the sewers has been replaced, but the replacement has also been broken open.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #583 on: June 20, 2012, 10:09:26 PM »
"It is their town Klaus," Mortus says quietly, her somber mood returning on Klaus' interjection.   "We will not be able to flee from them and exit the city alive.   The Ruggbroders might help us indeed.   I have a piece of paper that could be of interest to them."   She takes the note from her purse and reads it, explaining where it came from.   When she is finished she smiles and returns the note to her purse.
"There is always time for stories and tales," she says.   "They are how we know we are still alive and free."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #584 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:14 PM »
"Mortus is right, Klaus, we can't flee the town! We have to stay and stop the demon worshipers. If we don't, who will?" Maybe it's the wine - or maybe he wants to impress Mortus with his bravery - but Max looks excited at the prospect of fighting demon cultists. "We could hide outside Professor Teugen's house tomorrow evening and see who turns up for the secret meeting.

"Heinrich and Julian have been a very long time though. Would you like me to go and look for them? I feel much better now, really."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #585 on: June 21, 2012, 02:51:43 AM »
Alright, I'll use the keys to open the door and we can go.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

• Members
« Reply #586 on: June 21, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
"Woah Max you certainly will not walk around alone the streets topless and half drunk. Mortus where have you seen them last?"
 Klaus reads the scrap of paper and frowns. "Well this isnīt much but I guess we could try to investigate this meeting....I still think it would be better to hire a professional to do this as I am not too good in all this criminal stuff, shadowing people and the like."

OOC: Well actually he is....on what skill do you check when sneaking and hiding? Dex or Intelligence?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #587 on: June 21, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »
"They were looking into the office when I left them," Mortus says.   "I am sure that they are alright and will be back soon."   She goes to her bed and lies down on it to wait.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #588 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
Heinrich unlocks the back door, and he and Julian go out onto the foggy streets. Heinrich doesn't see any lights in any of the nearby windows, so he's hopeful that no one saw them. Julian looks like he's been slaughtering cattle in an especially messy way, so they go to the river first, and Julian cleans off as much of the blood as he can. He thinks he's probably going to need new clothes.

They arrive back at the inn without encountering anyone on the streets. The door is barred, but the innkeeper soon opens it when they knock. He looks at Julian with some alarm, but welcomes them in.

Upstairs in the room, Max, Mortus and Klaus are awake and talking when Heinrich and Julian come in. Heinrich explains what happened at the Steinhager offices, while Julian opens the two cash boxes. Each one contains 500 gold crowns, for a total of 1000!

Julian shows Max the black book written in a mysterious language, asking him if he understands it.

"Oh yes, Mr. Julian sir! This is written in the arcane language of magic, which I studied at university. I believe it's a spell book! Look, Mortus, don't you agree? Let me see if I can tell what sort of spells they are... ah, now this first one... Oh. It's a charm to keep you dry in a rainstorm. That's rather disappointing! What about the others, I wonder?"

Max studies the book for a while, and determines that it contains only petty magic spells - nothing illegal or even very dangerous.

[The book contains the following petty magic spells: curse, gift of tongues, magic lock, magic flame, magic alarm, marsh lights, open, protection from rain, remove curse, sleep, reinforce door.]
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #589 on: June 21, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
"All that effort... and that man.. for what, 1000 crowns? We learned nothing!"

Julian is despondent and sits heavily on his bed.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #590 on: June 21, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »
"Hello Julian....you look terrible.  :ph34r: what happened?" Klaus looks pretty nervous.....1000 crowns isnīt really nothing but where did you obtain those?"

Klaus positions himself close to the window and spies out to see who is moving around on the streets.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2012, 09:19:15 AM »
"We know there is a meeting," Mortus says, still lying on her back on the bed with one hand curled around her knife hilt.   "We also know there is a temple and a begger."   She smiles to the roof.   "No shortage of beggers here I suppose.   Still its a start.   Somewhat better than nothing."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #592 on: June 21, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
Everyone is very tired after their busy day, and goes to sleep.

Experience points!

Everyone did a lot of good roleplaying, and you all hit various plot objectives too.

Julian, Heinrich, Mortus, and Klaus each gain 100 experience points each. This can be spent on another stat increase.

Max learned a lot too... he gains 70 EXP, which he uses with the 30 he had already to gain +10 Int. Klaus's lecture may have got through to him after all.

Mortus had 50 EXP already, so now has 150... she can learn petty magic spells from the spell book at a cost of 50 EXP per spell. However, this will take some time and study, so can't be done until after the adventure.

Everyone wakes up the next morning, feeling rested. Heinrich, Klaus and Max regain one lost wound each.
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #593 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:47 AM »
Mortus rolls to her feet and slides the dagger back into her belt.

"Breakfast," she announces and then wanders down to see if she can find the halfling.

• Members
« Reply #594 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
Klaus didnīt sleep too well. He isnīt used to lie on his belly while sleeping and he also is very nervous because of all the things going on he has a haunted look on himself when he wakes up and the first thing he does in the morning is going to the window to look out.

"I donīt like this whole thing....We still have nothing solid unless we try to find out what kind of meeting is going on this evening and if someone finds out we are there and realizes we are the persons who found out about the secret room, and about that order we are dead meat.........well after they torture us or sacrfice our souls to some demons." Klaus makes the sign of the Hammer.

"And all we got for our trouble is stolen money and Max and me flogged. I still think we should flee the city and leave this alone. It never pays off to meddle in the affairs of the rich and powerful."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #595 on: June 21, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Heinrich speaks up.

"This demon business rests uneasy with me. The witch moon is acting strangely. I think we need to act. We don't have enough evidence to prove his guilt to any officials, and I suspect they might be involved anyway, but we know for a fact that Steinhager is neck deep in it. I can follow him to the location of this meeting, and possibly learn everything. I could also simply kill him and Teugen, throwing a wrench in the works of this sevenfold order, but from the name I fear there may be five more cogs we have to unveil."

• Members
« Reply #596 on: June 21, 2012, 10:15:20 AM »
"I hope that Ruggbroder will at least listen to us... he might offer a reward or even help. I would join you in the observation of the two but I still think we should consider to hire us some more muscle to help us out should we be detected. Killing Teugen will be difficult as I am sure he will have bodyguards around him and they will know their trade."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #597 on: June 21, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
"I hope that Ruggbroder will at least listen to us... he might offer a reward or even help. I would join you in the observation of the two but I still think we should consider to hire us some more muscle to help us out should we be detected. Killing Teugen will be difficult as I am sure he will have bodyguards around him and they will know their trade."

"You make a fair point. I think our best effort might be made in following Steinhager to this meeting, and listening in on what they discuss. Julian, do you think we might learn something by more thoroughly exploring the sewers? If there was one demon down there, there might be more. You, me, and Max could certainly handle ourselves down there. Maybe Klaus could follow Steinhager after he has met with this Ruggbroder fellow."

• Members
« Reply #598 on: June 21, 2012, 10:33:19 AM »
Klaus is chewing his lip...if he gets caught following this man it could mean death.

"I will follow him but only if Ruggbroder offers a fortune if we could reveal them as demon worshipers. You should check the sewers below Teugens place...Adelring or what it was perhaps they meet in another room around there. Another good place to search in the sewers would be below the temples of the city. I donīt think it is a sound idea to take Max with you, he is still hurt and it would be a desaster should he die."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #599 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Max sleeps late, but wakes up while Heinrich and Klaus are talking. His hair is standing up absurdly, and he tries to smooth it down as he talks, "Good morning everyone! Oh, has Mortus gone down to breakfast already... I've slept late." He seems to feel guilty about this.

"I would love to go into the sewers with you and Mr. Julian, Heinrich! I know I could be helpful! Please don't worry about me, Klaus -" Max looks delighted by the idea that Klaus cares enough about him to want to keep him safe "-I feel much better. Well, my back does hurt dreadfully, but I'm used to it, really. Father used to... well, anyway, I can manage. How are you today, Klaus? You must feel so much worse than I do... here, I still have a dose of my pain medicine from the other day. Please, I want you to have it."

Max hands Klaus the pain medicine he got from Heidi the day before yesterday.
If I wanted to.