home

Author Topic: The tale of Wilfried - Update: Pictures of the finished army, on a display board  (Read 50455 times)

Offline Gwinn

• Members
Hey guys,

this will be a progress log for my Middenland army.

Some of you may already know me, as I posted a similar log over at asrai.org, documenting my progress painting wood elves. For those interested, the log can be found here: http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17189

Ok, enough bragging, onto the current project:

We are starting in september at 500 points, with a 500 point increment every 2 months. The objective is to help long time players get a second army painted, or help new people enter the hobby.

I decided on a Middenland color scheme with strong blue and yellowish white, complemented by bright purple. There is also a background story, that will guide my troop choices throughout the campaign.

Wilhelm’s Tale

Standing atop a snowy hill, Wilfried was looking north, into the depths of Drakwald forest. A year has passed, since he last stood at this precious place.. 

He still clearly remembered his perilous journey through the wintry forest, walking along a crooked path that would take him straight to the top or Erlenberg. He recalled how eerie the hill was, covered in silent impenetrable mist. The smell of sulfur in the air. And his shock, when he saw scattered, burnt stones, where the cloister gate stood, just a few days ago. All too well did he remember the fear that gripped him, when he saw black  stains of blood and pale, motionless bodies. All hope seemed lost, when he stumbled through empty corridors, smelling of burnt flesh, hearing nothing but his own footsteps.
He would never forget his surprise, when he entered the chapel. In the corner, just behind the altar, stood a man clad in plate armour, wielding a two handed warhammer, covered in drying blackened blood. What struck him most were the man’s eyes, burning with bright inner fire like molten metal. Thus he met the man, who would change Wilfrieds  life. Ludwig Eberhart.

He briefly looked towards the ruined chapel wall. A year ago, he and Ludwig prayed to Sigmar here. They swore revenge and took the first steps of a long and perilous journey. Much has changed since then and they wandered wide and far  before finally returning to Erlengerg. The ruins were already overgrown with tall grass, but today, they were no longer alone. Wilfried held his sword high and a hundred loyal men roared a thunderous cry of triumph. .

My list for 500 points is as follows:

Ludwig Eberhart, Warrior Priest, GW, Armour of meteoric Iron
2x 5 Archers
12 Halberdiers, Std, Mus
15 Flagellants
Mortar

So far, only the archers are finished. I will be glad if you vote on Coolmini.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/278640

You can see more pictures at my blog http://gwinnminiatures.blogspot.com, where you can also follow my progress.

Next up, I will try to paint Ludwig himself.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:35:50 PM by Gwinn »

Offline Carcharoth

• Members
Re: The tale of Wilfried - story of a Middenland army
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to paint them badboys? And the bases, oh god the bases!
"Who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter

Grunburg Defensive Regiment Log:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38415.0

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
I don't typically clock myself while painting, but just recently, I tried to do a tabletop miniature similar in complexity to those in 1 hour. As these are a bit more polished, I would say 2 hours a piece?

I actually spent an awful lot of time thinking about the color scheme. I have like 10 test models laying around. But once you come up with a good method for the different colours you want to have, it is quite fast.

Offline Carcharoth

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
Recently decided to clock myself to try and get an idea of scope regarding the rest of the army, looking grim  :biggriin:

Suppose the Tale of X Gamers method allows for more detail in the rank and file compared to attempting to pump out a decent looking grand army asap, maybe I should have done that....

Anyways, they look fantastic.
"Who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14:59 PM »
WOW!  :icon_eek:

That is a really cool color scheme, and very well pained I must say.
And the bases are outstanding too.  :eusa_clap:

Can you post some close ups perhaps?

fbjorn

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 06:25:18 PM »
I tried, but it seems the forum automatically resizes all pictures the width you see. The image I posted is 1200px wide originally.

You can see the original bigger pictures on my blog if you want.

Offline Carcharoth

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:02:52 PM »
Just checked your blog and on one of the bases....is that an arm coming out of the ground? :Ohmy:

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:55:45 PM »
They look lovely, bases and movement tray really finish them off. The purple really compliments the state colours.

One thing though. From a fluff point of view the state of Middenland's colour scheme is blue. The city state of Middenheim is blue and white, they are not the same and haven't been for nearly a thousand years. Since the time of the three emperors.

Looking forward to seeing the halberdiers. Are you using the new state troops?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »
Friday: Ups, never realized that. I am a bit torn on the provinde thing. I know I want the colours I use. Originally, I thought Ostermark would be best, but then I decided to make them blue/white + purple instead of purple/white + blue, so I went looking for a new home. I quess it will just have to a be a weird village down in Middenland, since I don't like the whole Ulric business either :) As for the halberds, I will use the old plastic ones. While the Marienburger resin ones are very nice, the style of the models does not fit my fluff.

Carcharoth: No battle is won without loses :) I plan to spice up all the bases and movement trays in this army with little details such as that.

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
Vynikající práci  :engel:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
je pěkný vidět tu po dlouhý době někoho z Čech..:P Obzvlášť když umí tak pěkně barvit..:D

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:56 AM »
*Gasp* Those archers are bad ass! Your woodies are cool too, can't wait to see more.
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order. The Way It Should Be!
W/L/D 8th ED Army of Awesomeness: 10/0/0 :)

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 08:06:50 PM »
Another one I have to kill....
Fantastic painting!!!  :Ohmy:
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
Great job! Looking forward to see more.

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
I am not dead! Here comes the first of several updates to come, my army general, Ludwig himself. Regiments should follow shortly, when I manage to take decent pictures of them.. As we are currently at 650 points, I have quite a bit of stuff painted, but I didn't get to taking pictures of it earlier.

Be glad if you vote:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/290148

Offline anvalous

• Members
Re: The tale of Wilfried - Back from the dead after 5 months!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »
Hot coffee!!!  Looks solid, my friend!

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 02:25:18 PM »
My first warmachine, a Mortar.

Be glad if you vote on http://www.coolminiornot.com/290153

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »
Looks fantastic....don´t stay dead another 5 months.

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »
Fandir: Don't worry, I was painting through that time, just not posting pictures :) And we have deadlines for point increments, so I can't really stop for a couple months.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
NICE! Very good painting and basing!
Love the addition of purple to the otherwise booring Middenland colours...

:::cheers:::

Offline Douchie

• Members
  • The Army of Eastern Stirland
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 07:08:58 AM »
great paint job & excellent basing you have there, well done  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
Nice , your models really tell a tale!

It feels like I am looking at a Diorama rather than just some empire units!

More please .....

100 Halberds !

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
The archers look like they've almost camoflaged themselves into the environment.  Although the bright blue and purple give them away.

Excellent work! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gwinn

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Sorry for the threadomancery, but I figured it's better to post here then start a new thread. Since I started a full time job, I didn't have much time to play, but I managed to keep painting :) So here is a little update of my Empire army.

After watching the MiniatureMentor tutorial on photography, I tried taking pictures of some new stuff (BSB and great swords), as well as reshooting some of the old stuff (mortar). I think the photography tutorial really helped me and I feel I am getting better at this important part of the hobby. Let me know what you think.

I'll be glad if you vote for me on coolmini :)

Empire battle standard bearer - http://www.coolminiornot.com/319451

Empire greatswords - http://www.coolminiornot.com/319450

Empire mortar and crew - http://www.coolminiornot.com/319452

There will be more comming later this week or next week, so stay tuned :)