home

Author Topic: Drink your ale while it's still hot... The army of Stirland!  (Read 156750 times)

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
Drink your ale while it's still hot... The army of Stirland!
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
After a long time of lurking and the occasional post I thought it would be nice to start a plog of my own on this great forum...

I started this army about a year and a half ago after coming out of Mordheim with a warband mostly built from the new Empire plastics (Greatswords and Archers). The release of Warhammer 8th edition seemed like a good excuse to start a new army. I already had a bunch of older Empire models from previous attempts to build an army, this being in fact my third attempt... Though I like most of the newer plastics, I do have a soft spot for classic models so I spent considerable time and effort in obtaining classic and OOP models.

There was to be no doubt as to the province of origin of my army, Stirland was the only choice (based on fluff and color). Furthermore, I really wanted an army that wasn't 'standard' and the idea for a steampunk flavoured theme was born... While I can't sculpt anything to save my life I'm a decent scrap-builder and converter. Hence, my army is filled with weird and big contraptions, most of them steam driven...

As the project is already well on it's way I will start with a tour of the highlights as I don't think it feasible to post all the pics I have made thus far.

I think it is only right to start with this pic... While they may not seem that impressive, my custom made bases are a big binding factor in my army. Here you can see some of the originals I made with plasticard. All my models are based on plaster casts of these bases. At the moment I can cast 12 different sizes, most of them standard GW but several custom sizes too. As well as plaster bases, my models all use the same design plaster shield...

More humble beginnings... I don't like the new State Troopers so instead I opted to use the older plastic Spearmen. With a new shield and the occasional headswap they look pretty nice.

My Captain on a Mechanical Pegasus... This conversion was done at the beginning of the project and I have to admit he still needs to be painted.

My scratch-built Helstorm (back from when these were still awesome) and my Marauder Giant...

My scratch-built Airship... This will get a post of its own with a load of WIP and detail shots...

My all-classic Artillery... I spent the better half of last year collecting a full Grand Battery of those (yes, six Mortars and six Cannon)... The big wheels are from the previous version of the Steamtank, giving my Cannon a high profile... Their bases are one of my own custom sized bases.

I love Engineers, really, I frickin' LOVE them! This one has his own scratch-built pigeon coop...

My War Altar and my Steamtank... The War Altar was posted before in the 'Show us your War Altar' thread...

One of my latest bigger projects... A Great Cannon based on the Ogre Ironblaster. This will get a post of his own, too, with loads of WIP and detail shots...

One of the latest additions to my Army: Graf Alberich Haupt-Anderssen, the Elector Count of Stirland! This conversion was inspired by Warlord, one of the Moderators on this forum...

Something to keep me from whining, suffice to say it doesn't always work...

There is sooooooo much more to show you, but that will have to wait until another time. The army is now well over 10.000 points but only little of that is actually painted. However, I recently entered a painting spree, finishing several very nice individual models and a horde of Greatswords. It might be slow going, but I'll get there!

For those of you who aren't satisfied with the abridged version, check out my plog on Warseer: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?287817-Crazily-Religious-and-Technologically-Advanced-An-army-of-the-Empire-(Stirland)/page79

Is there any limit on the number of pics you can put in a single post?

My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

Offline S.O.F

• Members
Re: Drink your ale while it's still hot... The army of Stirland!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
Nice looking army.

Bold choice in representing the sum of all of Stirland's cobbles......  :wink:
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:59 PM »
That's really a characterful looking army and can't wait to see more.

One thing that bothers me is that it doesn't ring true as a Stirland force -- too many shoes  :icon_lol:  (I kid! I kid! ha ha)
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »
Im stunned.  Wow!

So many good painters/converters lately  I've got to get a good gallery solution together for the site.

-Grutch

Offline today

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:14:18 PM »
Yes!! :biggriin:  Glad you came to post on this site! Your work is simply awesome!:::cheers::: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
Just love everything. The pigeon bomber engineer is so cool :icon_cool:

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:'
:::cheers:::
fbjorn

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:33 PM »
Really beautiful models - lots of very cool ideas.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:14:07 AM »
I love it!, I may have to steal some ideas, specifically the bases, helstorm and mortar!

Looking forward to more.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline DonJulio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
Nice conversions!

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
Stirland!? These models are far to beautiful to be Stirlanders!! Amazing all the same though!
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 04:59:11 AM »
are we related? love the stuff....... steveb

Offline Wigmar

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »
Your conversions are fantastic. Now I don't have to go to Warseer to see them!  :biggriin:

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
 :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:

What more can I say? You make this bunch of unwashed paupers look good.

*takes off his Averland Yellow coloured hat (with incredibly large purple feathers) off*
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
Hurrah! Welcome over to W-E!

All your stuff is so great!

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »

One of the latest additions to my Army: Graf Alberich Haupt-Anderssen, the Elector Count of Stirland! This conversion was inspired by Warlord, one of the Moderators on this forum...

Wow. I am honoured! I have seen your army elsewhere and have admired it - especially the great great cannon, and you have inspired me to one day build something like it.
For you to have been inspired by something (anything) I have done is a huge compliment!
Love your choice of legs for him, and the sword looks great!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ColonialRaptor

• Members
    • www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 02:05:57 AM »
I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the mech Pegasus!!! Please paint it. It must be gold!!!!!
Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline Eyrenthaal

• Members
Drink your ale while it's still hot... The army of Stirland!
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
Truly amazing stuff.. I can't wait to see more of that airship..

Offline Alleton

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
I absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the mech Pegasus!!! Please paint it. It must be gold!!!!!

While this is also the first color that came to my mind, I think both it and silver are overdone...I would like to see it made of *gasp* copper!
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 07:31:20 AM »
Superb!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Carcharoth

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
Stirland can afford cannons and, well, metal?

A fantastic and inventive army my man, some genuinely fantastic displays of crazed ingenuity. Also good to see the unwashed masses of Stirland still stealing from Nuln's Artillery College, through some new criminal enterprise or another no doubt  :biggriin:
"Who among you can say that hanging half a village is a high price to pay for the assurance that corruption has been exposed and destroyed this day?" - Ernst Traugott, Templar Witch Hunter

Grunburg Defensive Regiment Log:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38415.0

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 08:27:27 PM »
this army is CRAP, it sucks! donkeyballs!

nah just kidding, you know I love your army!
I just didn't want to be like everybody else and repeat the endless flow of (well-deserved) praise
glad you found your way to this site, it rules :p
I'm eagerly awaiting the thread with detailed pics of your great great cannon

cheers!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Alleton

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
this army is CRAP, it sucks! donkeyballs!

nah just kidding, you know I love your army!

Lies! admit it, you just wanted to say donkeyballs!
Demonslayer

Warhammer Plog:

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the load of feedback! I can't emphasize enough how much I appreciate your kind words! Also nice to hear several of you are already familiar with my Warseer thread, saves a bit of explanation :-D

Anyway, I have another nice post for you... This one is all about my Airship. I've scratch-built this model last year. It took me a couple of months as I only worked on it when I had inspiration. This was before FW released their Landship, otherwise I might have slapped a balloon and wing on one of these instead :lol: I have a lot of WIP shots for you, I hope you enjoy...

The stern of the ship...

The command tower/cockpit...

A detail shot from the balloon...

A detail shot from one of the Engineers...

The look-outs in the crows nest...

The scratch-built boiler...

A comparison shot with my Steam Tank... Yes, it's that big...

The finished project... Well, not yet completely finished as I still want to add some extra crew...

Even though it doesn't get used that much (I use the rules for the Steam Tank) it's still one of the eye-catchers in my army and one of my favorite conversions/builds I did so far...

Next up is my Great Cannon, 'The Crown Jewel'... At the moment I'm busy painting this beast and I hope to finish it before next weekend. Expect another post with a load of WIP pics and also of the finished project...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:26:10 PM by Boreas_NL »
My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
thats so dang awesome  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what