home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 814028 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #3725 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:15 AM »
After a number of failed attempts, I managed to beat the game on Normal. New High Score, whoooooo!

CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #3726 on: February 12, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »
Feanor, just realized I work till 6:00pm tomorrow. I will be on steam, just not sure when.
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3727 on: February 12, 2013, 04:51:02 AM »
Feanor, just realized I work till 6:00pm tomorrow. I will be on steam, just not sure when.

cool cool.  Keep me posted, I watch the forums while at work.  I should be up to play around 8pm Eastern.,  got a mic?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3728 on: February 12, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
6 more failed Normal FTL runs. Normal is effing HARD.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3729 on: February 12, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3730 on: February 12, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/aliens-colonial-marines

vomit!
awe man.  Got it for PC so the graphics should be good, but all these low scores is disturbing. :ph34r:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #3731 on: February 12, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/aliens-colonial-marines

vomit!

Wow. One positive review and that one by EGM, a well known shill for advertisers. Glad I wasn't planning on buying it.

For contrast:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ftl-faster-than-light

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3732 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
My bro is enjoying it (the company we use to buy games ships a day early) but I am sorely tempted to send it back. I can buy it for £10 a few months down the line. And then use the store credit from returns to buy bioshock infinite. And buy halo 4 for £20 and a magic deck for the same £££ as aliens.

Or run through the single player (only 6-8 hours long), then play a bit of coop and multiplayer, and then sell it on ebay.

gearbox confused me.
How can you have such good franchises, and then release utter dross like this and duke nukem
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:42:06 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3733 on: February 12, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
Yeah I am not buying it now, not until Steam guts the price.  The Escapist certainly didn't like it!

Glad I wasn't all that hipped up for it!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3734 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
escapist were actually one of the more positive reviews Ive read!

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #3735 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:53 PM »
Seriously?

Oh man...  I am out on this game!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3736 on: February 12, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
damn, and I was all hyped for this game too.  Ah well I'll post my own personal review later.  Tried to install it this morning and it seemed like it was having trouble.
― Jake the Dog

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #3737 on: February 12, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
Feanor- I do have a mic, might be 10 before we be on at the same time. Looks like Kotaku and PC Gamer also gave it bad reviews. However, PC Gamer gives it decent multiplayer points. Lets hope the co-op is good.

Over lunch I played about 30 minutes of it. Had some trouble getting it to run but after re-naming the steam appcache file it worked.

In terms of the actual game, it doesn't seem as bad as people are making it out to be. So far, I have rather enjoyed it. Yes, the assault rifle sound is annoying but it is true to the movies, just think how much crap they would have gotten if they had not made it true to the movies. Yes, some of the vents are black squares but that doesn't matter to much to me, I spend most of my time trying to not get eaten by aliens. The one part that bugs me are the alien animations, they work well until they get close enough to hurt you, then they sorta stand up and walk around sometimes. Part of this is probably me trying to strafe them like crazy but I also think it would be hard to animate this correctly since in the movies, if you get bit or they get that close you die. But in a game, you need at least a couple of health bars. Overall, I would give it a 7/10 so far, without trying multiplayer or putting a lot of time into it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:51:34 PM by thundercake »
Don't underestimate a halfling, their ladle will do a number on your stomach, and on your head.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3738 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »
Or run through the single player (only 6-8 hours long), then play a bit of coop and multiplayer, and then sell it on ebay.

I don't think you can - I read you have to activate via steam, and that means the game will be bound to your account.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3739 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »

I don't think you can - I read you have to activate via steam, and that means the game will be bound to your account.
he got it on the xbox360
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3740 on: February 12, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
My bro has played for 4 hours and likes it and thinks I will.
The multiplayer has got good reviews.

I think I'm going to gamble and play it, and then sell it on later on to fund halo 4, which is £20 now.

thundercake, the alien animations are picked up in a few reviews I read.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3741 on: February 12, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
I wonder how different it is from console and PC versions?  The content will be the same but I wonder how different the graphics and animation is?  I also doubt the console multiplayer will be able to support as many players as the PC version unless they gimped the PC version.

edit: also thundercake, what did you have to do?  I am seeing that the OZ and NZ copies are missing an executable and I got the same thing this morning and I am US?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:55:57 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline thundercake

• Members
« Reply #3742 on: February 12, 2013, 08:28:57 PM »
Feanor, that is what happened to me too. It told me it was missing an .exe. file. I went to the steam forums for the game and searched the error message. The thread i found told me to quit steam, rename the steam "appcache" folder to "appcache_bak", then restart steam. I did this, the game took about 30 seconds to update, and then some program or driver installed. It seemed like a Nividia driver. Once whatever that was installed, my computer auto-restarted, it finished installing, and then the game worked. I upped the textures a little and everything seemed pretty good to me (but I don't run new games on super high settings). It took me about 15 minutes to finish installing, find a solution, fix it, and get into the game. Maybe steam will fix it by the time you get home.

I may be a little off on the name of the folder or the exact steps I took but you should be able to find the solution pretty easily if you search the steam forum for the game with the error message and go to the last page (it was page 39 when i looked) of the thread.

I am in Indiana, so my version was the USA version as well.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3743 on: February 12, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
I have to be online, and log onto some styupid social club to play max payne 3?

do
not
want

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3744 on: February 12, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »
The one part that bugs me are the alien animations, they work well until they get close enough to hurt you, then they sorta stand up and walk around sometimes.

found this

thanks for the info thundercake.  I'll check it out when I get home.  I am hoping it's that quick or that its already repaired.  Whats interesting is I never actually saw an install happen.  It looked like it tried to just launch the game.

also I watched a review of the game from a 360 and the graphics look horrid compared to the E3 preview on a PC.  PC master race 1, unwashed console masses 0

I have to be online, and log onto some styupid social club to play max payne 3?

do
not
want

not a fan of steam? or not a fan of steam when trying to play single player games?  I know MP3 has a multiplayer option.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:53:02 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3745 on: February 12, 2013, 11:18:28 PM »
steam is ok (cheap games), but why do i have to sign up to some more rockstar social club bullshit that I dont want to.

Apparently the E3 version looked good and polished, and then for some reason now it looks like a steaming pile of wank.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3746 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »
steam is ok (cheap games), but why do i have to sign up to some more rockstar social club bullshit that I dont want to.

Apparently the E3 version looked good and polished, and then for some reason now it looks like a steaming pile of wank.
ill be able to compare the 360 and PC version when I get home. :icon_mrgreen:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3747 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
after being resolved to open it seeing that gif makes me not want to.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #3748 on: February 13, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »
http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=244653

Look at first few posts. That's why it looks crap!

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3749 on: February 13, 2013, 01:04:52 AM »
the quick fix didnt work.  uninstalling, exiting steam, deleting folder, open steam, reinstall.  It actually looks like its installing this time.  Weird.
― Jake the Dog