home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 814032 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #4475 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
my MIND has definitely been blown.

also, confused.

gameplay wise, undertow second effect works on patriots, and makes you damage them more. Pretty easy to kill them that way.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4476 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »
I'm also a sucker for time travel shenanigans (slight spoiler), so ymmv.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4477 on: April 01, 2013, 08:50:06 PM »
I'm also a sucker for time travel shenanigans (slight spoiler), so ymmv.

Ah, there's the rub.  My mind detests paradox.

my MIND has definitely been blown.

also, confused.

Mine was just confused.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4478 on: April 01, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »
FFS first impressions of Bioshock:Infinite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QHVErrh3b8

I refuse to watch them play as I want to lay this soooo bad without spoilers.

to those on here: Xbox or PC for this?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4479 on: April 01, 2013, 10:18:19 PM »
PC. By a mile
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4480 on: April 01, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »
funny that you dont like paradoxes, when ever before twisty mctwisterson, the game was about time travel?

feanor, pc.

Multiverse theory! all universes have a man, a city and a girl- I think liz says this when you first see rapture.

When booker accepts the baptism after wounded knee, his "reborn" self becomes comstock.

Comstock wants "his" daughter back, anna dewitt, to basically succeed him in columbia and pwn the world so uses the Lutece's (who are the same person, from different multiverses) tear research to find her, and take her back. This causes a time loop where in every universe, this happens.
The lutece's want booker to get elizabeth/anna back to stop the world pwning to happen, so comstock kills them- they want to stop comstock from existing so neither of those things can happen.

Booker wants to smother comstock in his crib- this is drowning him before he is baptised.

The Lutece's have sent hundreds of booker's into columbia to try and do so.

Book is also jack from bioshock, and comstock is ryan- so the same character is the antagonist and protagonist of both games. Elizabeth/anna has become the little sisters.
The songbird is created using big daddy technology (says so in a voxophone) and I think might be another booker... or maybe elizabeth's mother?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:43:31 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4481 on: April 01, 2013, 10:50:49 PM »
funny that you dont like paradoxes, when ever before twisty mctwisterson, the game was about time travel?

feanor, pc.

Multiverse theory! all universes have a man, a city and a girl- I think liz says this when you first see rapture.

When booker accepts the baptism after wounded knee, his "reborn" self becomes comstock.

Comstock wants "his" daughter back, anna dewitt, to basically succeed him in columbia and pwn the world so uses the Lutece's (who are the same person, from different multiverses) tear research to find her, and take her back. This causes a time loop where in every universe, this happens.
The lutece's want booker to get elizabeth/anna back to stop the world pwning to happen, so comstock kills them- they want to stop comstock from existing so neither of those things can happen.

Booker wants to smother comstock in his crib- this is drowning him before he is baptised.

Book is also jack from bioshock, and comstock is ryan- so the same character is the antagonist and protagonist of both games. Elizabeth/anna has become the little sisters.
The songbird is created using big daddy technology (says so in a voxophone) and I think might be another booker... or maybe elizabeth's mother?

I definitely didn't put all that together.  I guess I get it, but still don't really get why it's cool.  I still loved the game, based on its gameplay, setting, and (for the most part) story.
One cannot be deeply responsive to the world without being saddened very often. -- Erich Fromm

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4482 on: April 01, 2013, 11:02:04 PM »

feanor, pc.

I definitely didn't put all that together.  I guess I get it, but still don't really get why it's cool.  I still loved the game, based on its gameplay, setting, and (for the most part) story.

you dont think it's cool you're the antagonist and protaganist of both games?
that 122 previous bookers have gone to columbia?

I also like to believe at the end, post credits, booker goes to the crib and gets anna

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:10:11 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4483 on: April 01, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
I really want to read the tiny text, but at the same time I don't in case I want to play the game.

Tempted!  ::heretic::
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4484 on: April 02, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
if you think you'll play it, I wouldn't read the text! would ruin the best thing about the game.

the gameplay itself I found less fun than bioshock, despite the skylines. The skylines were awesome but there wasnt much skyline combat. The vigors and guns felt less satisfying than in bioshock. I definitely think the vigors give you less fun things to do than the plasmids.

Pass the machete.

Offline towishimp

• Members
« Reply #4485 on: April 02, 2013, 12:13:38 AM »

I also like to believe at the end, post credits, booker goes to the crib and gets anna

Meh.  Maybe my mind is just hard to blow.  I'll take a well0constructed "conventional" narrative anyday, over the "OMG plot twist that blows your mind."  I actually think plot twists are usually just lazy writing.

Besides, doesn't the "mind-blowing" reveal just render the whole drama of either game null?  There was never really anything at stake, since there's infinity outcomes anyways.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4486 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »

Meh.  Maybe my mind is just hard to blow.  I'll take a well0constructed "conventional" narrative anyday, over the "OMG plot twist that blows your mind."  I actually think plot twists are usually just lazy writing.

Besides, doesn't the "mind-blowing" reveal just render the whole drama of either game null?  There was never really anything at stake, since there's infinity outcomes anyways.

I mean I guess if you want to look at it that way. I'd say there still was. You still accomplished stuff in both games. The ending doesn't mean it carries on that way forever- your actions in the game change that.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #4487 on: April 02, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
Why are developers so bad at making crowds in games?

Whiterun, Population: 50 people
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4488 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:07 AM »

yeh, that was the most annoying thing about skyrim to me.

Pass the machete.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #4489 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
Still more than heard Sean Beans amazing speech in Oblivion.

I think.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #4490 on: April 02, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »

What about Jean-Luc Septim?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:47:55 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4491 on: April 02, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »

It is a processor issue.  They would probably love to drop a pile of interactive people out there, but the consoles and PC's just wouldn't be able to handle it consistently.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4492 on: April 02, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »

It is a processor issue.  They would probably love to drop a pile of interactive people out there, but the consoles and PC's just wouldn't be able to handle it consistently.

oh god, frame rate would be a nightmare!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #4493 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:31 PM »
When I was modding with Oblivion I tried to make like an actually army show up in places where it should ( Battle of Bruma)....... it was terrible. Morrowind on the other hand worked great, a little slow at first but it worked!
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #4494 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

I don't know man... when I look at Total War games, the character models are pretty damn good these days, and they manage to squeeze a couple of thousand on screen. Granted, they work a lot with different LOD models, but my point is: it's possible.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4495 on: April 02, 2013, 05:32:11 PM »

From Hitman: Absolution. More people on one train station than there are citizens in Skyrim.

So it's clearly possible, but developers are too cheap to spend money on it.

Edit: Yeah, and Total War. The 3D models in TW games look like 4-5 year old FPS or RPG models at release, but in return they have to facilitate up to 5000 of them in a standard battle, opposed to the 1200 models claimed by IO Interactive. So Creative Assembly and IO have figured it out, at least.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:37:41 PM by patsy02 »

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4496 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:38 PM »
It's less the models, more the AI to go along with the models. Notice how there are maybe 30 people actually doing anything in those Absolution levels?

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #4497 on: April 02, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
Why not just add some non-AI bots for a bit of authenticity then?

Most Artificial 'Intelligence' in games is horrendously retarded to the point that it might as well be scripted. Also, everyone in Whiterun is a twat! Even the kids. Especially the kids. I want to kill them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:41:51 PM by patsy02 »

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #4498 on: April 02, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »
Stylistic choice?

They could totally do that but my understanding is that they want all the characters in the ES games to have a full range of AI. Whether that's the right choice is another discussion, but they are running right up against processor (actually it's more memory- thanks consoles!) limitations on the current generation.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #4499 on: April 02, 2013, 05:45:33 PM »

From Hitman: Absolution. More people on one train station than there are citizens in Skyrim.

So it's clearly possible, but developers are too cheap to spend money on it.

Edit: Yeah, and Total War. The 3D models in TW games look like 4-5 year old FPS or RPG models at release, but in return they have to facilitate up to 5000 of them in a standard battle, opposed to the 1200 models claimed by IO Interactive. So Creative Assembly and IO have figured it out, at least.

The level of detail is night and day, also you really don't have many interaction options, you cannot loot and remove clothing from them, you cannot potentially critical parts of their bodies off etc.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.