home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 814029 times)

Offline valmir

• Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #9625 on: May 06, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »
Dark Souls 3 looks totally jacked when I stand still in some areas. Would love to know if it's intended, my PS4, or my TV. Hopefully the TV since that's the cheapest to fix. I'll try to post a screenshot. The lighting looks like a grid covering the entire screen.

That isn't normal.  At all!

Yeah, not normal at all. I'm also running on PS4, and it looks great. In general, I would say small-but-noticeable step up from Bloodborne. It sounds like something is very wrong. Are you running from a disc, or a download?
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9626 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
I'm running it from a disc. I tried to take a screenshot but the screenshots come out fine, which is interesting. I fiddled with the TV settings and it reduced it somewhat. When it's bad it makes grass and trees quite painful to look at. A massive step down from Bloodborne. I didn't have this problem with Bloodborne and it's the same TV, so quite at a loss.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #9627 on: May 06, 2016, 03:45:31 PM »
Sounds like a shader is flipping out.  Can you do a video?  Does it come out on videos using PS4share?

I bet the video comes out fine.  It will likely even look fine on your TV.  Its most likely something to do with how your TV is rendering a shader.  If the video and screen shots are coming out fine, its because it isn't a live render but instead just the PS4 saving the data and rendering it in a different format.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:52:13 PM by PhillyT »
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9628 on: May 08, 2016, 05:23:07 AM »
Just finished marathoning the Stellaris multiplayer series and ended up preordering the game. First time I've done that in years. I'm pretty sure it's going to consume all my time this coming this week.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9629 on: May 08, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
Spent 14 hours on Dragon Age Inquisition, crashed 5 times in already. Good old PS3 version, I remember it doing it the first time. Frustrating.

I'm really pumped for Stellaris! Multiplayer!?
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9630 on: May 08, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
This is the stellaris multiplayer series paradox did, don't know when. 22 human players, 10 AI players, and a Non aggression pact on the first day of the event meant everyone tried to explode out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6Ai41a0kI

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9631 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
I meant playing a multiplayer game. Not their one! Watched that stream, though it was painful at 1x speed to watch them not really achieve much, I play Crusader Kings at 4x speed!

I'm looking forward to cracking it open tomorrow! Going to enslave the galaxy with space sloths/foxes/badgers etc.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9632 on: May 08, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
Ah got it. Yeah I'm really looking forward to multiplayer as well, and the hot join will be really nice.

I didn't mind the slowness primarily because I didn't really feel like they were playing that much per say. They were more focused on hosting, which is good, so it felt like they were just keeping par. I wanted to see them research more anomalies, there was so much stuff they just ignored.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9633 on: May 08, 2016, 11:14:19 PM »
Sounds like a shader is flipping out.  Can you do a video?  Does it come out on videos using PS4share?

I bet the video comes out fine.  It will likely even look fine on your TV.  Its most likely something to do with how your TV is rendering a shader.  If the video and screen shots are coming out fine, its because it isn't a live render but instead just the PS4 saving the data and rendering it in a different format.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I've fiddled around with the tv and it's a fair bit better, though not totally. Screenshots do turn out fine, I'll do a video when I get a chance.

Happy with the game itself. I'm in the Chapel now. Bloodborne is the better game though in my opinion.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9634 on: May 08, 2016, 11:30:11 PM »
Just finished marathoning the Stellaris multiplayer series and ended up preordering the game. First time I've done that in years. I'm pretty sure it's going to consume all my time this coming this week.

Yep saw you guys talking about it, watched a few videos, and pre-ordered it today myself. Paradox and CD Projekt Red are about the only companies I've no qualms about pre-ordering from.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9635 on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:11 AM »
Just beat Aldrich.  I didn't particularly like his arrow storm thing that does massive damage and lasts for so long that you're likely to run out of stamina trying to dodge it before it ends but aside from that it was a pretty good fight.  Not hugely imaginative, but fun.  I noticed straight away that he was wearing what looks like Gwyndolin's mask, and the lore from his soul confirms it.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9636 on: May 09, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
I wanted to see them research more anomalies, there was so much stuff they just ignored.

They already showed a number of the anomalies in the single player series but decided to stop doing them because it would spoil too many of the funny ones. I can remember at least a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference coming past and there were others. I found the Earth they found in the multi-player very funny as well, especially considering its inhabitants.  :icon_lol:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9637 on: May 09, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
There's a stop global warming one as well where they say how stupid they had to be to let it happen. Crusader Kings is full of silly little events like that, Joan of arc, robin hood, the omen etc. Is funny.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9638 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
Just beat Aldrich.  I didn't particularly like his arrow storm thing that does massive damage and lasts for so long that you're likely to run out of stamina trying to dodge it before it ends but aside from that it was a pretty good fight.  Not hugely imaginative, but fun.  I noticed straight away that he was wearing what looks like Gwyndolin's mask, and the lore from his soul confirms it.

Yeah, this was one of those fights that I HATED until I figured it out. And then once I'd figured it out, I enjoyed it and was almost sad that it was over. But I had enough stamina to outrun the arrows in the second phase. I can image Aldrich at base level being brutal.

I love the game. I don't think anything could ever recreate the experience of playing a Souls game for the first time, so there are things that happened inside me for Dark Souls I that DS3 - no matter how good - simply can't ever hope to replicate. But I really like it.

I got really emotional when I arrived at the Darkmoon Tomb. Like, actual, legitimate feels. For a place. Not a plot point, or a character, but a place. Then there were some more feels when I found the giant blacksmith.
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9639 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
I miss out on so many of those emotional moments with DS.  I didn't particularly connect strongly with the places in the game.  I loved it, but I wasn't drawn deeply into the lore when I played through.  I miss out on the nostalgia that many are feeling with DS3!

As for Aldrich, I summoned a dude who ended up eating those arrow storms half the time, which allowed me to survive and finish the boss.  :biggriin:

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9640 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
I ended up settling on the Astora greatsword. It's the lightest of the Ultras but specced heavy it still does pretty good damage and has great thrust attacks, with a sweeping light, so that's pretty good. But it's pretty clear one handers are the way to go until Poise gets fixed. I'm thinking of doing a dex/caster build, just have to find the right weapon. That will be next playthrough though.

I'm in the Smouldering Lake at the moment, and around level 50. Done some pvp but only against bads with no health, so they get smashed. 27 vigor with the Life ring nets you about 1320 hp, for a pretty small investment. Planning on putting 3 more points in, should go to 1450 or so.

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #9641 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
I miss out on so many of those emotional moments with DS.  I didn't particularly connect strongly with the places in the game.  I loved it, but I wasn't drawn deeply into the lore when I played through.  I miss out on the nostalgia that many are feeling with DS3!

Partly it's by sheer virtue of the number of hours I've spent in those places. It's not that I have a particularly strong connection with Anor Londo as such. But after 400+ hours in DS1, it's kinda like driving through the small town you grew up in after a long absence.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9642 on: May 09, 2016, 04:05:19 PM »
I only played through it once but I really enjoyed it.  I think it is because I got into it only a year before Bloodborne came out (or so)  Maybe three years ago.  Never played back through!

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9643 on: May 09, 2016, 09:16:55 PM »
I'm going to recommend some Dark Souls LPs (not mine) for peeps wanting to get all the good gossip on Dark Souls about things they probably never would have found on their own.  First is EpicNameBro's From the Dark https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4  Second is PlagueofGripes' Let's Plague https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPBmbs-JPhHeG6O1CbPn8TqFAZmZvpGT8 although be warned he tends to get distracted looking at piles of bricks.  Both of these go into extremely minute detail about the story of the game and between them will tell you just about everything there is to know about the game.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #9644 on: May 09, 2016, 09:41:58 PM »
Space Sloths, after being stolen from the jungle, shoved into a spaceship and fired off for a billionaires amusement, the space sloths have evolved. Beginning with a single frozen planet, they have developed and now control 7 frozen planets, one ocean world, a gaia world and one very slave tastic set of three worlds. By enslaving all aliens we will be very productive and build. Unless it's energy, then we have none. :(

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9645 on: May 09, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »
What's that space game?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9646 on: May 09, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »
Stellaris! Paradox's new game just out today. I raced to installed it, and pretty much the moment it finished I was forced out the door to do errands, followed by remarkably frustrating computer problems.

Soon, the stars will be mine...

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #9647 on: May 09, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »
I'm going to recommend some Dark Souls LPs (not mine) for peeps wanting to get all the good gossip on Dark Souls about things they probably never would have found on their own.  First is EpicNameBro's From the Dark https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQDWoXFQ-YLpeEFkzeDZF1MmNQS7BDoI4  Second is PlagueofGripes' Let's Plague https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPBmbs-JPhHeG6O1CbPn8TqFAZmZvpGT8 although be warned he tends to get distracted looking at piles of bricks.  Both of these go into extremely minute detail about the story of the game and between them will tell you just about everything there is to know about the game.

I like Vaatividya's stuff too.

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #9648 on: May 10, 2016, 12:32:17 AM »
Steam says I have 44 hours in DS3 so far.  The save file says 40 and a half.  That must mean I've spent a total of three and a half hours looking at title screens booting up the game.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #9649 on: May 10, 2016, 03:44:03 AM »
Boreal Valley is amazing, and has actually dangerous enemies.