home

Author Topic: Help with Army list vs Chaos Warriors  (Read 2712 times)

Offline mikeguy101

• Members
Help with Army list vs Chaos Warriors
« on: June 14, 2015, 12:10:33 AM »
Hi guys first time poster. I recently got into warhammer fantasy and I am in need of some help with my list and tactics for a game I have against a warriors of chaos list. The game is 2k points and is part of a campaign that my local group is running. That being said here is my tentative list.

Arch lector: Heavy armor and shield, mounted on War Altar of Sigmar w/ horn of sigismund (268 pts)

Battle Wizard Lord: lvl 4 Lore of Light (200 pts)

Battle Wizard: lvl 2, lore of light,  w/ dispel scroll (125 pts)

Battle Wizard: lvl 1, lore of light (65 pts)

Captain of the Empire: w/ full plate, shield, crown of command, BSB (128 pts)

Halberdiers: 43x w/ champion, musicion, standard bearer (288 pts)

Knightly Orders: 5x knights w/ lance & shield, Musician (120 pts)

Knightly Orders: 5x knights w/ lance & shield, Musician (120 pts)

Demigryph Knights: 3x knights w/ lances, Musician, standard bearer (194 pts)

Great Cannon: (120 pts)

Hellblaster Volley Gun: (120 pts)

Steam Tank: (250 pts)

Total = 1998 pts

My plan is to have the steam tank and block of halberdiers anchor the front line with the wizards and cannons behind. The cannons and wizards casting banishment will hopefully soften up any unit before it gets too close. The knights are there to flank or engage smaller units as needed. The halberdeir block will have the general to grant stubborn with crown of command and hold the line. It will also be buffed by the Arch lector on the war altar.

A few questions I had:

- I see most tournament empire lists run wizards with lore of light? I'm assuming this is to buff of banishment which you get with war altar? With 3 light wizards banishment would be strength 7 for the altar and strength 6 for the other wizards.

- Is it better to run a hellblaster or just do a second great cannon?

- Do you like to have your wizards by themselves or is it worth it to put them in the halberdier blob?

- How do demigryph knights do against WoC? I know WoC are know for their CC but I've never faced them before.

Sorry for the wall of text but could definetly use some help since this will be my first fantasy game. If you recommend swapping out any units I don't mind picking up any models I don't currently have.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
Re: Help with Army list vs Chaos Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »
Most people bring a unit of 10 archers and throw all their wizards in there, keeping them behind the halberdier block.

I think you can afford this if you drop the musician and standard on demigryphs, and the musicians on the knights.

You're correct, banishment spam is very good.

Offline blackcat

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 04:48:33 AM »
You are running almost exactly the same list as myself, like almost literally the same list. It works really well however I think you should tweak a few things.

Drop the musicians on the empire knights. They are not fast cav so you wont be able to act as normal even if they do rally. They are your chaff units, you want them to be as cheap as possible so 110 pts and not worry if they get destroyed. Literally just pick some targets and throw these knights against them. Usually against enemy chaff ;) Or if you are going to flee then just do it. They are chaff so dont worry if they get caught.

The standard bearer on the demi's is a waste of points as is the musician. If you flee the standard bearer will die and that is a big model to lose and you have pretty high leadership anyway so the musician is usually a waste of points. As long as you pick your battles well you shouldnt need the muso.

If you are going to take a hellblaster then you need to take a master engineer with it. A master engineer is just too good not to take. He gives your hellblaster BS4 and allows you to re-roll one of your artillery dice which should allow you to get no misfires and have a devastating effect. Because we have to roll to hit now the BS increase is amazing. It makes the hellblaster go from a decent unit to a great unit as almost always you'll be at long range so it is already a -1 to hit.

You need a unit of archers to put your wizards in. They are skirmishers and provide ablative wounds. Also because the unit is skirmishing it allows you to move around easily and avoid combat as well as give you some extra protection against missile fire with that extra -1 to hit.

One thing to consider is giving your BSB an enchanted shield for an extra +1 to his armour save.

So all in all you have a really good list. If you were to change only one thing it would definitely be putting your wizards in a 10 man archer unit.

Good luck with this list. It has proved really effective for myself. Just keep your war altar out of combat and blast away with your magic and warmachines. Personally I would drop the cannon but thats just because of my experience. I am running an Ostermark army and my warmachine crew struggle with operating cannons. In the last 6 games I have had they have killed a single cold one chariot and 3 warriors of chaos and they misfired literally everygame  :eusa_wall: Contrary to that my archers have killed a chimera, 2 skull crushers and around 20 various infantry. So I hope your soldiers come from Nuln or Altdorf and know how to operate their warmachines  :-P

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »
Give the AL the Enchanted Shield or Dragonhelm.

The BSB can drop his COC - against WoC, the Halberdiers should be steadfast anyway. Give him more magical protection instead (Dragonhelm or Enchanted Shield), in order to survive more than one round. 

Keep the musicians on knights and DGK, precisely because they are not Fast Cavalry: for only 10 points, they do not just give +1 to rally, but also Swift Reform, and victory/no defeat in case of a tie.  110 is rather expensive for mere chaff; and indeed, our knights are much better than that to throw just away.

I would not put all Wizards in one Archer basket.

On a side note: the Parade Ground seems a more appropriate venue for such a thread.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:46:55 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline mikeguy101

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and help. I made a copy of my original post in the parade ground section. The name threw me off so I didn't realize it was for army lists when I made my original post.

I am curious though if their is anything I should be worried about when facing WoC or anything we have the works well against them?

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
Cannons work well.

And magic.

The only way you win is if you magic a lot of stuff to death (banishment works wonders) and cannon a lot of the rest to death too.

Your halberdiers need to be close to your war altar. Ideally you want birona's timewarp, hatred, and a few prayers on them before you fight anything WoC in combat.

Offline blackcat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:06:25 AM »
Give the AL the Enchanted Shield or Dragonhelm.

The BSB can drop his COC - against WoC, the Halberdiers should be steadfast anyway. Give him more magical protection instead (Dragonhelm or Enchanted Shield), in order to survive more than one round. 

Keep the musicians on knights and DGK, precisely because they are not Fast Cavalry: for only 10 points, they do not just give +1 to rally, but also Swift Reform, and victory/no defeat in case of a tie.  110 is rather expensive for mere chaff; and indeed, our knights are much better than that to throw just away.

I would not put all Wizards in one Archer basket.

On a side note: the Parade Ground seems a more appropriate venue for such a thread.

The problem is that he doesn't really have the points spare for another bunker unit. There is no point putting a light wizard in a halberdier block. It's not ideal but as someone who plays against chaos every weekend there is not too much to worry about except for a test or die spell against the unit.

Personally I think muso's on knights is a waste. They are literally my chaff drop. They know what they are there for and punch through other chaff units. The main thing my knights have been hunting is chaos hounds. The muso's also aren't essential and dropping them and the crown of command should free up points for some archers