home

Author Topic: Any thoughts on a color-scheme for the Scarlet Guard?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline xnet445

• Members
Any thoughts on a color-scheme for the Scarlet Guard?
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:01:40 AM »
This campaign has motivated me to finally paint and field my unit of halberdiers. According to our Scrivener's excellent A is for Altdorf article, the Scarlet Guard wears bright red uniforms instead of yellow and green, but there are no other hints.

Has anyone else modeled the SG? If so, what did you use for a color combo? I was thinking Red Gore in the slashes, with Blood Red cloth, but my test figure came out rather bland. I thought of black slashes, but that looks too much like Carroburg, white socks remind me of Talabheim, etc etc.

At a loss....
Quote from: sawgunner101
(these rumors are) like getting a free candy bar, but only if you let somebody kick you in the nuts first.
[/quote

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:00:16 AM »
There is a possibility of an article about making free foresters, although It probalby wont cover the Scarlet Guard.

You would want some sort of contrast, maybe red and blue, I don't think any province has a claim to that colour combo
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline TheBuilder

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:05:46 AM »
altdorf does...i always pictured them as black and red...Something about elite units wearing red makes me think they should wear black as well

The Carroburg greatswords cant claim the general badass colors by themselves...

Although since you alread nixed that idea....red and purple could be pretty good if done properly
The long road back to Stirland...

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 01:08:25 AM »
Gah, that was truly stupid of me  :bonk:
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline PygmyHippo

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Washington, DC, U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 01:29:15 PM »
Try red with green in the slashes.  You'll get 4 things this way:

1) your scarlet color
2) some green to tie in with Stirland livery
3) excellent contrast between the high and low points
4) visual balance (complementary colors)

Many elite landsknecht units used very colorful uniforms.  I believe the king of Poland in the 1500s had a retinue of halberdier bodyguards in light blue with white in the slashes (I need to check this when I get home from work, so I'll edit this tomorrow if it's incorrect).  

The green needn't be bright, or highlighted at all.  Darker might be better (and certainly easier).

Offline TheBuilder

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 02:13:10 PM »
Both are very appealing colors on their own but i could never paint anything green and red...the Santa's Elves Regiment...

Kinda a shame that green and red and orange and black have been commandeered...
The long road back to Stirland...

Offline xnet445

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 02:21:11 PM »
I was thinking the red and green would look very Hochlandy, but Santa's Elves is dead on  :lol:

What do people of a dark reddish brown, such as Dark Flesh, in the slits?
Quote from: sawgunner101
(these rumors are) like getting a free candy bar, but only if you let somebody kick you in the nuts first.
[/quote

Offline Heretic 01

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 09:19:47 PM »
I think the Red and Purple colour scheme mentioned earlier by TheBuilder would be best, most likely with red as the main colour and purple in the slashes, but that's just my opinion.
never ask an Inquisitor what he is thinking about, lest he should direct his gaze in your direction and say “you”  -Imperial proverb