home

Author Topic: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...  (Read 18835 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20:18 PM »
I guess for GW Kislev and Cathay are old enough to be truly Old World but gives them a relatively fresh slate to create new things and for the whole venture to feel like a progression rather than simply a rehash of what was.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2021, 11:53:52 PM »
Probably true, and as is the idea of having three empire nations, issues in Bretonnia between them and the Orcs, plus the involvement of High Elf territories there as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2021, 11:55:32 AM »
Good commercial move too I suppose. There's a good market for GW over in the far east but they've never had a great amount of tabletop or indeed video game representation before, certainly not in the Old World/Fantasy/AoS setting...

(I know it's all fiction but it's not hard to make the leaps to the real world inspirations for a lot of stuff)

Anyway, we digress. I followed the link to the Total War 3 trailer but it wasn't there! I better go find it on YouTube or something.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
New preview is up for the Old World!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/10/07/discover-warhammer-the-old-worlds-ultimate-getaway-for-exiled-lords-and-rotten-princes/

With all the buzz surrounding the long-awaited reveal of Grand Cathay, our minds are turned once again to the goings-on in Warhammer: The Old World. Since revealing the chivalrous lands of Bretonnia and the frozen north of Kislev, the team has been hard at work on one of the lesser-known areas of the setting. Today, Andy Hoare from the Warhammer Studio is here to tell us all about the ever-changing Border Princes.

I have to say, I really did not expect them to be filling in so many of the empty spaces. I really did think they'd be sticking to the 'main' areas at least to start.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2021, 04:18:50 PM »
Oooh juicy!  :::cheers:::

Looks to be even more expansion into the uncharted lands of Old World lore - the Border Princes.

Maybe there is some hope for human factions afterall, we could end up with a revival of Brets, new Empire, Kislev, Cathay and some rag tag scoundrels from beyond the Black Mountains!?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2021, 08:50:06 PM »
Good to see Matorea on the map back then. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2021, 01:21:45 AM »
good stuff
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2021, 11:34:36 AM »
I'm not surprised they are filling holes, they do want to sell new models alongside the returning player's collections being dusted off. If the rules are good enough, I have an "all the things" method of collecting that will be an add on to my current 6th collection (only if they keep the yahtzee with miniatures and most of 8th out of it)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
....my current 6th collection (only if they keep the yahtzee with miniatures and most of 8th out of it)

I so hope you are wrong and the chesshammer 6th edition does not make a comeback. GW can only make one of us happy. Though, I wouldn't put it beyond them to fail both of us. :-P
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2021, 09:02:48 PM »
Well I'd take a 6th edition style over 7th or 8th as well.  8th was all about big things and massive figure units, and that didn't impress.

However, it is my understanding that they are planning to do something with the rules that pulls from 3rd thru 8th.  Hopefully that means not W:AoS, and probably not, because they are going to use square bases (if their recent comments are true), and not the round used with W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2021, 09:24:59 PM »
The major thing is that based don't actually matter in Age of Sigmar. The round bases are far more for ascetic then any real rules mechanic. I can see them testing some rules from AoS, or perhaps bringing in things like the subfaction rules.

I do have some small concerns that the Old World is quickly going to run into the problem Fantasy, AoS and 40k have, which is that they introduce so much stuff that it takes forever to update anything. End up with so many factions, none of them get a particularly decent work. Or worse, they get a good introduction/first wave, and then sit years without any follow ups. Fyreslayers, Brets, etc.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2021, 09:32:50 AM »
Aren't the Border Princes basically the Old World's version of the 2nd and 11th Space Marine Legions?
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »
Nope, not even close.  Much more terrible, nasty, full of history, backstabbing, war, violence, takeovers, squabbling over land and money, women and wine.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
Quite borderline, really...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2021, 04:24:36 PM »
If the rules are good enough

I read that they will be grathering/curating "their favorite" rules from 1st-8th edition. So I suspect tere are ging to be a fair number "herohammer" (5th) elements. As well as a fair number of RGP elements from the earlier editions.

That said they would be fools not to dumb it down a little bit. For guys like us here on theforum that will probabley sting a bit but it's gotta be done imo. Granted it's still going to be "rank & flank". That's a barrier to most people right there as it is.

That being said, simplified 6th ed rules seem to be the way to go.

The round bases are far more for ascetic then any real rules mechanic.

If I recall correctly, it's pretty much confimed to be square bases.

Quite borderline, really...

Get out...
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2021, 04:49:13 PM »
Base or Square?

Definitely square! Warhammer: The Old World is a reinvention of the classic rank-and-file game of Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Regiments move in ranked-up units, and strategic manoeuvring into position to launch or receive a critical charge will be as much a key part of the game as it ever was.

Bases - are you SURE they're going to be square?

Yes, we’re positive!

Rules: Totally new or 8th Edition?

Both! We’ve played every single edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles over the years and like every player, we have our favourite bits from each. Warhammer: The Old World will gather up all our favourite mechanics from the 3rd edition to the 8th edition** and add new elements where needed to create something deeply familiar yet fresh and new.

** The 1st and, to some extent, 2nd editions were more of a roleplaying game with miniatures than a tabletop war game, with Warhammer Fantasy Battle as we know it truly being born to the world with its 3rd edition.

It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2021, 06:10:31 PM »
Ah, I see Fidelis did my work for me! Thanks!
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2021, 08:04:46 PM »
Yup square basis indeed! My comment was more about how bases don't matter in AoS, so wont really stop them from carrying over any mechanics they happen to like. Or vice versa, test in AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
Yep, that is how I interpreted your comment.

And I don't mind that square or round bases don't matter in W:AoS.  Just don't tell anyone I liked something about it. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

As an aside only ... I use both round and square based figures for Lion Rampant style games.  Seems to work fine. :icon_cool:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2021, 09:17:46 PM »
Ah, I see Fidelis did my work for me! Thanks!

We serve to please and please to serve. Note that the announced rules' mechanics is not really new: it has been the procedure of virtually every new edition.

Offline Averlanders Cattle Guild

• Members
  • Moo!
    • https://www.facebook.com/therealdeville/
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2021, 10:39:45 PM »
All my minis have round bases now and i am vex.  :dry:

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2021, 06:56:23 PM »
Never switched to round, tried aos, decided i would rather play old rules, and stuck with 6th

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2021, 01:10:29 AM »
Never fear, GW is here!

Seriously ... I'd wait until there are more announcements before doing anything with my bases.  Besides ... sabots could work. :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »
i really like the Empire book that "project warhammer" did. Its like 4th edition with lots of cool stuff
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2022, 08:11:10 PM »
I dropped more detail in the Total War thread, but to keep things centralized I thought I'd drop this bit here.

ALSO confirmation that its going to be used for The Old World.

Cathay has been ruled by a race of immortal shape-shifting dragons for thousands of years, and it’s not a place that changes much, so this map is just as valid for the era in which Total War: Warhammer III is set as it is during the earlier period that will be explored by Warhammer: The Old World. Rest assured, scholars of Warhammer, this map works in both settings, so get studying!