home

Author Topic: Bogenhafen City Guard - Now with Heavy Support!  (Read 53708 times)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Bogenhafen - 1st ever painting log - Now with big guns!
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2010, 10:04:17 PM »
I might be interested in some of those artillery bases! Same with the craters!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 11:24:35 PM »
I might be interested in some of those artillery bases! Same with the craters!

Cool. Pop me a PM if you'd like anything and we'll do a deal.

Cheers

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Hey all, just to let you all know I'm still here although the last few weeks haven't been too productive.

I did however manage to finally get one of my large blocks assembled ready for painting. Had a load of spare knight heads after I sold all the knights I had assebled so added some to the greatswords to give them a bit more variety (and make them look more like they deserve a 4+ save:

I also put together a BSB and a warrior priest:

And finally here's a sneaky peek at my latest resin casts. 40 and 50mm decorative bases. I'll be using some of these in the future to make some unit fillers for my big blocks. If anyone wants any I'll be adding them to my trading post page along with a bunch of 20mm bases (as sported by my archers in a previous post) once they're painted.

Hopefully i'll be able to pull my finger out and get you some actual painted pictures soon.

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
I like bases very much  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
That's one big-ass banner!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2010, 08:00:53 AM »
Me like bases much very  :engel:

One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 08:01:29 AM »

Yeah, he's a strong guy. He seems a little drunk though as he has a little trouble standing up.  :blush:

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
Got round to painting all the new resin bases up. Hope you like. If anyone wants any, see my trading post page (in sig).

40mm scenic bases (x4):

50mm scenic bases (x5):

60x100mm "screaming bell"/unit filler base:

20mm scenic bases (x10):

60mm round lava base:

Yes, the lava ones aren't for fantasy but i thought i'd share them anyway.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
Could you include a painting tutorial on those rocks they look fantastic.

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
You wouldnt happen to be making any copplestone bases would you?

Kind regards

Claus Heldal

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »

Yeah, he's a strong guy. He seems a little drunk though as he has a little trouble standing up.  :blush:

That's the only problem with making really big banners, they have a hard time standing. Fill in the bottom of the base with scrap metal and put some bigger rocks on top of the base. Anything to make the base heavier so that he is less likely to fall over. I also magnetize my miniature bases and movement trays so that they don't fall over when in the tray.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »
Could you include a painting tutorial on those rocks they look fantastic.

I can indeed:

From a black undercoat:

Paint the whole rock in a watered down mix of codex and astronomicon grey. I tend to mix up a little and as I'm painting, vary the amounts of each to get variations in colour.

Once dry, drybrush with straight astronomicon, then lightly with dheneb stone.

Wash the rocks in patches with devlan mud, very heavily watered scorched brown, and a mix of scorched brown and graveyard earth. Add other browns and maybe a touch of black to the mix to vary the colours for added realism. You can even add tiny amounts of red and green if you like. Make sure it goes on patchy, not hitting all the grey areas.

Wash all over with watered badab black, then the dark recesses with pure badab.

Drybrush again (very lightly) with astronomicon, a mix of astronomicon & dheneb, then a mix of dheneb & white. Again, feel free to add in other colours for a bit of variation like bleached bone and other greys. Make sure you use very light coats letting the highlights build up until they look right.

Job done.

I'll do a photo tutorial next time I paint some rocks.

You wouldnt happen to be making any copplestone bases would you?

Kind regards

Claus Heldal

I will be sooner or later. Got a full range of stone and lava bases on the go at the moment before I move onto others. Paved and cobbled ones on the horizon though. Also on the horizon are other movement trays including magnetic ones (well, with a metallic surface so magnets will stick anyway), along with a few scenery pieces.

That's the only problem with making really big banners, they have a hard time standing. Fill in the bottom of the base with scrap metal and put some bigger rocks on top of the base. Anything to make the base heavier so that he is less likely to fall over. I also magnetize my miniature bases and movement trays so that they don't fall over when in the tray.

I've since made him a new base where he stands further back. I weighted it with plenty of miliput too and now he stands up pretty well, even on slight angles.

Also a little query for you guys:

Since i'm making some magnetic movement trays, what are popular sizes for units in 8th ed? Already started work on 30 and 40 man horde ones for my own empire army but unsure what common sizes others tend to use. Imaginary cookies for some answers please.

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
Another question for you all:

Seeing as I'm making some magnetic movement trays it would be best to get them right.

Which bit should be magnetised? The base of the figure or the tray? Making "metallic" trays that attract magnets will be pretty reasonable but i think it may be a bit more difficult the other way round.

What do you guys think?

Also, what sizes are popular for units in 8th? I know they got bigger and hordes are popular, but what about other sizes?

Cheers!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Uhhhh cookies....

I guess for horde units 10 wide and up to 5 deep would be great this should accomodate for all horde lovers even if the unit is smaller.

other than that 5 wide are usually 30-50 strong so your 10 wide horde tray would be good for the mass bus units too.

Knights are usually 6 or 12 strong at least from what I have seen.

Also trays for gunner units 20 strong in a 10*2 formation could come in handy.

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 03:29:14 PM »
Uhhhh cookies....

I guess for horde units 10 wide and up to 5 deep would be great this should accomodate for all horde lovers even if the unit is smaller.

other than that 5 wide are usually 30-50 strong so your 10 wide horde tray would be good for the mass bus units too.

Knights are usually 6 or 12 strong at least from what I have seen.

Also trays for gunner units 20 strong in a 10*2 formation could come in handy.

Some cracking ideas there Fandir. Love the idea of some 10x5's that can be used as either horde or bus units. A shame I already made a 10x4 one now... really need to plan ahead before I go making stuff.

I'll be making some 7xsomething ones for my bro's high elves too.

I'll definitely be doing 5x2 detachment ones but the 10x2 is probably a good plan too.

Offline Johedl

• Members
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:08 AM »
Some cracking ideas there Fandir. Love the idea of some 10x5's that can be used as either horde or bus units. A shame I already made a 10x4 one now... really need to plan ahead before I go making stuff.

Make a 10x1 tray that can be used as either a filler behinde/along the 10x4 or as shooting unit plattform if used as a pair.

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Hmm, just thinking- for my own armies I have regiments that are:

Infantry: 5x5; 5x6; 5x7; 5x2; 5x3; 8x2; 10-strong skirmishers. 8-strong skirmishers are common, too.

Cavalry: 5-6x1; 5-6x2; 3x2; 3x3; 3x4; 3x5. (Bretonnian project :P)

It'd also be cool to see a base for halfling hot pots!

Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 02:46:45 PM »
Hmm, just thinking- for my own armies I have regiments that are:

Infantry: 5x5; 5x6; 5x7; 5x2; 5x3; 8x2; 10-strong skirmishers. 8-strong skirmishers are common, too.

Cavalry: 5-6x1; 5-6x2; 3x2; 3x3; 3x4; 3x5. (Bretonnian project :P)

It'd also be cool to see a base for halfling hot pots!

Oh my, I am going to be busy over the next few weeks. Not sure about the hot pot ones though. May be a little bit of a niche Market for those :)

First attempts at a prototype are looking promising so hope to have a few sizes available in the new year.

One more question for you guys: what type of magnets do you guys use? Tried thin rubber type sheet magnets which will be ok for plastics but struggle with metals. Also got some neodymium ones on order to try those out. Any others I should try?

Cheers

Offline Benedictus

• Members
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »
Oh, come on. Everyone likes hot pots!

Oh my, I am going to be busy over the next few weeks.

I wasn't putting in an order, just giving you ideas. :P
Empire Army: Averland!

Bretonnian Army Blog: A Crusade into Mousillon

Offline Johedl

• Members
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »
Oh, come on. Everyone likes hot pots!

The only mortar in my Stirland Army is a Hot Pot! Does any one else do it diffrently? I love the feeling of landing a hit on a HE unit and say "Those who survive will have their white robes coloured red due to the big pot of boiling gulash soup that just landed on your unit".

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
Could you do a close up of any greatswords with knight panther heads? I'm tempted to do some for my Luccini army!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Claus79

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
looks and sounds great, when you get around to the copplestone ones, and the trays, by all means pm me and youll get yourself a customer in me :)

Excellent work mate

Kind regards

Claus Heldal

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »
Could you do a close up of any greatswords with knight panther heads? I'm tempted to do some for my Luccini army!

Sorry it took so long but the pics didn't come out too well in a black undercoat. Hope today's post makes up for it.

Update time at last. January's been a busy month for me so far but I've surpassed my own expectations and finished all 30 greatswords along with a few other projects.

First up, the greatswords. I decided to pull off all the floppy hat heads and give most of them knight heads. I converted some of them to make sure no two are identical and also mixed in a few pistolier heads for good measure.

For the champion, I used the left arm holding the helmet from the knights set and scratch-built the other arm to be holding the sword over his shoulder. I wanted a tough guy, relaxed pose and think it's come off pretty well.

Some closeups:

Also finished a 40-man movement tray for the unit:

And the best bit:

The magnetic 40 man horde trays are now available in my trade thread (see sig) too if you want your own. 50 man and other varieties in progress and awaiting a delivery of mould rubber.

In other news, took delivery of this little fella this week so will be painting him pretty soon. his claw was a complete pain in the arse to put together and needed extensive filing and filling. Aside from that the model is absolutely stunning:

Once he's done it'll be time for more empire goodness. C&C greatly appreciated as always.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: Bogenhafen - 1st ever painting log - Now with big swords!
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
While I think the paint jobs on your Greatswords is outstanding, I just don't think the Knight heads work on them. Something just doesn't look right about. It does give them the feel of the old Reiksguard on foot though. I think the Knights Panther heads look better than those with the Reiksguard heads as well. That's probably because their helmet style is similar to those some of the regular plastic Greatswords have. I do like your champion though. Is that a conversion for his sword on his shoulder? I think the Knights helmet under the arm works really well with the pose.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Bogenhafen - 1st ever painting log - Now with big swords!
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55:54 PM »
i think they look great unique in their own...great job  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what