home

Author Topic: Hooray for the Blue and the White!  (Read 33725 times)

Offline JoV

• Members
Hooray for the Blue and the White!
« on: January 20, 2020, 11:30:49 PM »
 :-P

Have been lurking on this forum for the past few months, enjoying everybody else's painted minis, so I thought it was high time I joined in as well.

By way of background I s'pose I am similar to most others, in that I got into Warhammer when young, wandered away living the life of a carefree dissolute youth for a time, before eventually finding my way back home. The Empire was my first love, so I had retained a smallish pile of (badly) painted figures kicking around in my bits box for a few, erm, decades. The announcement that ye Old World was making a comeback got the creative juices flowing once more, so I started taking a closer look at those old minis once more.

First thing I noticed was how amazing the sculpts were on the old metal minis  :-o Slapped some paint on and now I am hooked  :-D I tried blue and white first up, purely because I have found in the past that they tend to work well together, and so now I guess by default I am painting a Middenheim army  :laugh:

Below are my first two test minis, not yet properly based (guy on the right is a test). Will update this OP with full army pics once I get going.

Have kicked on a bit from there, and will post things up as I can. Need to sort out a proper photography setup. My goal is to paint everything to the absolute best of my ability, but am aware of the my own limitations therein. You name the fancy technique (wet blending, NMM etc.), I don't know how to do it  :-D But am hoping to improve over time, so feedback is appreciated. I am especially curious as to how I will do the banners. I have never tried freehanding anything, and with historicals I always buy printed banners....

Without wanting to make this opening post overly long, thought it would be also good to put down the minis I have/hope to be using. Not everything will be strictly GW (because of how damn expensive they are  :engel:), however I am hoping to stick to the puffy sleeve aesthetic wherever possible  :lol: This will be updated as I come to some firm conclusions on how well different ranges match. Have already done some experimenting however, so these are my thoughts so far.

Halberds; metal GW and Artizan
Spears; Artizan, Foundry and Warlord Games
Archers; GW
Handgunners; Not yet decided, a mix of everything perhaps!
Crossbows; Warlord Games
Greatswords; Warlord Games & metal GW (probably as seperate units, I don't think they will mix well)
Swordsmen; 8th ed GW plastics
Ogres; classic Marauder minis please  :biggriin:
Arty, Lords etc; GW typically
Imperial Dwarfs; Assualt Group

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Hooray for the Blue and the White!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 11:47:32 PM »
I like what ya've done with the blue there! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 12:13:05 AM »
Welcome!
The blue white is refreshing!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:56:51 AM »
What a magnificent pair of minis!

Looking forward to some more pics  :::cheers:::

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 04:47:10 AM »
Welcome!
The blue white is refreshing!

Indeed. Nice and crisp. I like the highlights too - makes them pop.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
They look ace.  Welcome to the site :)
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:37:12 PM »
Thanks for all the responses  :::cheers:::

Still trying to sort out a good photography setup to use going forward, but if anyone was curious as to what happened to the steam tank the above engineer used to command, it was stolen by a pair of halflings  :icon_mad: (they are from the TTCombat Kickstarter last year)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »
Excellent, and I like the dragon contraption on the back, too! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline lt dougheim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:33:11 AM »
Wow, very nice painting. I really like the halflings from ttcombat, I have been waiting a long time for them to start selling them on there website.

Offline Orfeo_Culzean

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »
The awesome blue colour on miniatures, hope to see a whole unit of state troops in this colours)
- Boredom for the soul is more dangerous than the risk to the body -

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »
Well I can show off a unit that is very much still WIP at this stage and still missing a lot of minis, in particular a full command. Am hoping it will become the centrepiece of the army in time  :smile2:

Very much built around the old classic metal halberdiers. The ones on either flank of the front row have to be some of my favourite sculpts ever. Just incrediblely well sculpted for what are otherwise simple rank and file. Am aiming to ultimately get my hands on all of that range  :engel:

The two minis either side of them are from Artizan and mix in really well. Really happy with the paint job on the standard bearer, but not so sure of the standard. It's straight out of the Storm of Chaos book, and am thinking I should have painted over it to brighten it up some. I will try that on another banner, and if I like it better will come back and redo it.

To fill out the rear ranks have been converting some of the old minis with the plug in weapons. Don't like how their weapons stick straight out, so have converted new weapons for them and greenstuffed in the hole where the old ones fit in

Will likely keep coming back to this unit a lot, touching up highlights etc. Hope for it to be 30 odd strong when it is ultimately finished  :ph34r:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »
The unit is looking wonderful with your painting. :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 02:05:29 PM »
Marvellous looking unit! Regarding banners, they can indeed be often tricky. I think with the paper ones it's almost better not to faff around with them, they have a unique and well-executed aesthetic here!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »
nice work bro
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 08:38:52 PM »
Beautiful crisp painting. Wish I could paint like that.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
Glorious paint jobs on lovely figures. And well done for picking the best Empire province.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 04:06:36 AM »
A wee update, this time to show off the ogre brothers  :smile2:

Have had the Mordheim one kicking around in my bits box for eons, but the Marauder chap only turned up this week, so quickly painted him up to match. Enjoyed painting him so much have my eye out for a few more from the range now :ph34r:

Lost the basket that sat on the back of the Mordheim chap long ago, but just covered it up with a shield  :-D Also gave him a feather so he didn't feel left out.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:09:26 AM by JoV »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
I'd not seen the Marauder one previously, but he seems to look more human than ogre.

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
He is the guy bottom right.

Much smaller in height than the Mordheim chap, but still far bulkier than a human

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
Very clean style !
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »
I like the little leaves you're using on the bases. Very comfy!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 07:20:58 AM »
Yep, I have one of him, and one of the ogre with the gun.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline JoV

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:02 AM »
Spent the weekend finishing off some artillery, but am waiting for some bases to arrive before I show them off.

Instead I went back and did a little more highlighting on this guy, another old mini who have I had for decades. This is, I believe, the third time I have painted him now  :laugh:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »
Always good to see old miniatures.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »
Wonderful! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: