home

Author Topic: Solland Army  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Count James

• Members
Re: Solland Army
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2024, 02:03:50 PM »
Finally had another go at the banner... much simpler this time.

So in this photo we have every Warhammer model I own!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2024, 08:35:09 PM »
Perhaps simpler, but strong and beautiful as banners should be.

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2024, 06:40:11 PM »
Got hold of a Mordheim Reiklander Captain, who will do nicely as a Sollander Captain  :icon_cool:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2024, 11:32:33 AM »
I was too busy 'investing' in Phantom Menace merchandise to buy Mordheim miniatures :icon_sad:

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2024, 10:35:01 PM »
This is coming together, and fast... Really like some of the classic minis too. Looking forward to seeing what, if any, OOP Empire comes out Made to Order with TOW release.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2024, 05:44:14 PM »
Thank you! Just finished stripping and undercoating some "new" acquisitions...

This is coming together, and fast... Really like some of the classic minis too. Looking forward to seeing what, if any, OOP Empire comes out Made to Order with TOW release.

Oooh an excuse to wishlist!

Out of everything that's OOP, the metal Elector Count on Griffon is the one I really want. I know there's that plastic one probably coming back... but I really don't like it and will pay extra for the 'proper' one (imo).
Otherwise, War Wagon? Maybe some special characters (the various Elector Counts), knight variants or the old command groups? I think most of the army was available in all-plastics from about 7th edition onward and I'm hoping most if not all of it will come back.
Honestly I just want the Griffon. A new Knight kit would be nice too, although I do have a soft spot for the battle ponies.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 11:18:48 AM »
I was too busy 'investing' in Phantom Menace merchandise to buy Mordheim miniatures :icon_sad:

Me too.
I need to ebay that.
Don't list when I do in the coming months please :)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 01:17:55 PM »

Me too.
I need to ebay that.
Don't list when I do in the coming months please :)
The figures are worth a few dollars each at best.
Some of the vehicles now command tripple digits. If you have Amidala's ship, you can probably get $200.00 for it

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 11:40:53 PM »
*coughs* back on topic, haha...

Dogs of War General painted up with Solland colours, along with a Monstrous Encounters 3D-print wizard. She's Demonology and a redhead, hence the extra purity seals for the General. I'll have to come up with a backstory for my characters... currently wondering about having the Witch Hunter be her older brother and Dad's the general... anyway...

(I've tidied up the loose static grass since I took the photo!)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2024, 04:37:27 AM »
Cool model.
Definitely a demonologist.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2024, 07:22:16 PM »
I have some Core!

Test model for my spearman unit:

This model (and a bunch of others) came second hand and layered in paint with generous amounts of plastic glue. I was planning on running the Spears without shields but there was no saving the shield arm on so many models that I ended up getting some 3rd party heater shields and popping them on. Unfortunately this means I have to up my freehand game to do the Solland emblem on 28 shields.

Was planning a simple wash and highlight but the some of the details on these old models are so shallow I ended up doing it the hard way. Happy with the result, if not the time taken to get there. 27 to go (plus command, but they're nice metal models so yay)

It's a good thing the Empire release is a long time off...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2024, 08:22:02 PM »
I did up that Dogs of War General as a commander for my Knights of the Golden Lion unit, although he could easily pass as a Solland General too.  I like how yours has been done as well.

The spearman looks great!  It helps to have that thematic looking shield at the same time. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2024, 11:28:29 PM »
Loving your colour scheme. Great to see the old puff and slash from 6th ed.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2024, 09:56:45 PM »
Loving your colour scheme. Great to see the old puff and slash from 6th ed.

Thank you! It's pretty much lifted from some images of the old 'Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire' book that I found online.

It's also... taking a long time. I've got the basecoat on most of the spearmen now but doing 'batch painting' like I did with the Greatswords is going to destroy my soul. I've decided I'm going to do them in 2s (apart from the 4s on 25x100 bases) - with all the time it's taking me trying to make the cloth look good, and then trying to get the shields right... spent most of the evening on them today and managed... two.

:x

Still... unit is 10% finished now. Pass the beer.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2024, 03:55:56 AM »
The effort is worth it. White and yellow are hard colours to paint.
They look fantastic. And the shields are a standout.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2024, 01:53:55 PM »
Oh how i miss those spearmen

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2024, 11:36:39 AM »
Oh how i miss those spearmen

They're available in eBay all the time.

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2024, 07:41:13 PM »

They're available in eBay all the time.

-Zyg

That's where I get mine from - just have to go for auctions, rather than Buy It Now insanity, and make sure the speartips are all present. I've had the most luck with buying awfully painted but otherwise intact models and stripping/dismantling/cleaning them and reassembling. "Rescuing" such models is oddly satisfying!

Oh, painting update, I've managed another 11 models. Hoping to make some real headway this evening and tomorrow!

Annoyingly Royal Mail 2nd Class still has my unit champion, but I'm optimistic he'll be here by the time the 3rd edition FAQ rolls around.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2024, 11:10:43 AM »
They are done! After two marathon painting sessions over the weekend. I can't say I've ever spent this amount of time painting models that are... let's be honest... "not great" quality sculpts...

Quite happy with the outcome, though!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2024, 01:13:21 AM »
Beautiful looking unit.
Well done getting them finished!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2024, 11:43:34 PM »
Great Cannon (#1) - this one needed stripping and repairing before I could paint it. The crew look after the General's dog during battles.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2024, 02:46:37 AM »
Fabulous! :icon_cool :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::: :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2024, 12:20:37 AM »
Latest eBay success - £36 for this guy (did need some work and creative pinning...)

Not sure if he'll be the General or just a Captain though. Also need to add a pistol somewhere when I get the bits...

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2024, 08:26:40 AM »
Really nice mate - Love how this army continues to shape up.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2024, 12:32:40 AM »
Appreciate the replies all! We are progressing nicely - a pause to build stuff now - I've managed to get hold of some Free Company models in terrible condition, as well as some State Troops and a load of knights that aren't much better - I'm in the process of stripping, cleaning, and figuring out what I can build with them.

In a way, this is all kind of like how a Solland separatist army would be put together... "Who do we have, what do we have, and what can we do with you all to try to make a coherent army?!"

I kinda like the process...