home

Author Topic: Loran's army of Middenheim painting log (and other models)  (Read 12801 times)

Offline Loran

• Members
Loran's army of Middenheim painting log (and other models)
« on: April 12, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
Hey hey hey!

As the Empire army has always been a soft spot for me, it's time to get the army painted up. So far, for the last few years ever since I started collecting Empire models, the army's been a more of a "Assemble a few models and put them in the figure case"-type thing. Never really had the time or energy to paint up the army, even though it has gotten quite large. So, a painting log is the best way to get stuff painted up as it sets a bit of a deadline-type thing going on with painting models and getting them uploaded online.

Here's a picture of the current army:

So, the list of everything that is there:
Karl Franz on Deathclaw the Griffon
Volkmar the Grim on War Altar of Sigmar
General of the Empire on barded Warhorse
Arch Lector
Grandmaster of the Knights Panther
Captain of the Empire with sword and shield
Captain of the Empire with Great Weapon
Captain of the Empire with standard
Battle Wizard – Celestial Order
Battle Wizard – Celestial Order
Battle Wizard – Amethyst Order
Battle Wizard – Gold Order
Battle Wizard – Light Order
Warrior Priest with two hand weapons
Warrior Priest with great weapon
Master Engineer with Repeater Handgun
Master Engineer
50 Halberdiers with Full Command
10 Halberdiers with Full Command
40 Swordsmen with Full Command
10 Handgunners with Full Command
10 Handgunners
20 Crossbowmen
10 Crossbowmen with Musician
20 Free Company
8 Knights Panther with Full Command
8 Reiksguard Knights with Full Command
3 Demigryph Knights with Full Command
20 Greatswords with Full Command
5 Pistoliers with Champion
5 Outriders with Champion
5 Outriders with Champion
20 Flagellants
Great Cannon
Helblaster
Helblaster

Still need to assemble 10 Handgunners, 10 Crossbowmen, 8 Knights (probably split them evenly between the Knights Panther and Reiksguard Knights), a Celestial Hurricanum and a Master Engineer on a Mechanical Steed. The plan is to get all these painted up and raise the State Troop regiments to size 50. Also need to get a lot more of State Troops to get a unit or two of Spearmen as well as State Troop Detachments.

Righto, here's some pics of models I painted in the last couple of days. Sorry for the quality, still haven't got the camera from my bro so these are also taken with the cellphone. I did try to fiddle with the light a bit to get sharper images, but they're not as good as what you could get with a good Nikon or something similar :D

Arch Lector and Warrior Priest with two hand weapons:

Two Master Engineers:

Halberdiers:

Crossbowmen 1:

Crossbowmen 2:

Knights Panther:

Greatswords:

Helblaster:

Master Engineer on Robohorse:

- Loran
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:13:23 PM by Loran »
Middenheim marches to war, albeit slowly:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41827

<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

Offline Loran

• Members
Re: Loran's army of Middenheim painting log
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
And I will try to upload better pics of the models when I get the camera from my bro. The pic above was taken with my cellphone :-P

- Loran

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
a grey horde...
i cant wait to see it in the glory of middenheim! :::cheers:::

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:36:04 PM »
Yeah :D

I actually never realized how much Empire models were hidden away. Only now that I laid them out on a table did I see the full scale. I've also misplaced a Mortar. I know I've assembled one, I've got the crew in the case, but the Mortar itself is missing x_x

Also, just found my 30+ Teutogen Guard I got from a friend. So Greatswords with hammers fighting for the glory of Ulric and Middenheim! Can't wait to get them assembled and painted :-D

- Loran

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
the griffon is (this is an understatement)MASSIVE! :icon_surprised:

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
I think that it is too massive/bulky, whatever descriptors you care to choose. Also to my mind it is grossly out of proportion to other parts of the empire.  It makes the giants and dragons look like sickly step children and weedy lizards.  that being said, I hope to paint several.  steveb

Offline Azyr

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:01:19 AM »
I think that it is too massive/bulky, whatever descriptors you care to choose. Also to my mind it is grossly out of proportion to other parts of the empire.  It makes the giants and dragons look like sickly step children and weedy lizards.  that being said, I hope to paint several.  steveb

I was looking at mine last night next to my giant and a house and was thinking the same steveb  :unsure:

Great start - now the fun part of adding some colour to it  :::cheers:::
Games in 2013 = 3
WHFB - 0/0/1
40k - 0/2/0

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:11 AM »
Yeah, the Griffon is quite big. I kinda like it though, gives some height to the army :-D

Right, uploaded some new pics, they're in the first post. The first 10 Halberdiers (the rest are drying after undercoating), first 10 Greatswords (also drying out after undercoating), two Master Engineers and a Helblaster.

Haven't painted the banners yet, as I haven't come up with a good idea for the banner. Will get around to that when I do and post new pics :-)

- Loran

Offline theforgefather

• Members
  • Hello!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »
 :icon_question: simarite warrior preists in an army of the white wolf? oh well...

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »
Yeah, I know...  :icon_biggrin:

Still got the conversions on the Warrior Priests to remove the comets etc underway, so haven't painted any yet :P

- Loran
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:13:40 AM by Loran »

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
Righto, uploaded some new pictures. Two units of 10 Crossbowmen and the first 8 Knights Panther.

So, right now got some more Halberdiers, Swordsmen, Handgunners and Outriders coming along.

- Loran

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
Whoa... A year and a half has passed since the last update to my log.. Time goes by when you're busy with life :icon_redface:

Anyhoo, no picture updates this time, but a resurrection of the work! When the enthusiasm dropped, the main reason for it was a batch of really bad glue from GW. Whereas the glue should melt the plastics together, this batch only crystallized between the parts and that meant that the parts stuck together, but even a small gust of wind could break the model apart :icon_confused: So having just assembled ~50 Halberdiers and Swordsmen that I knew would not hold up to painting left me without much motivation towards the army... However, the glue issue is fixed (mainly due to the manager at a GW who replaced the glue with working stuff that was tested on-site before I headed back home) and the State Troops have been slowly disassembled during the weeks before uni mid-terms and the like when the need to break something has been put to use :icon_wink:

I did spend some money on new toys though, which include the Reiksmarshal, Kurt Helborg, the Empire Army deal that was on sale for Christams last year as well as a recent acquisition on eBay: The Ar-Ulric, Emil Valgeir! Still need to wait for the spiritual leader of Middenheim to arrive via the Royal Mail and then strip the paint of it, but I'm getting psyched! :icon_cool:

But before the fun part, there is still the uni autumn term finals to power through, so unfortunately I won't have the time to assemble or paint anything before the weekend before Christmas. Hope to get some more updates up then! :icon_smile:

Cheers,
- Loran

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »
Plenty of toys waiting for your love and attention...

You have work to do!

Gotta love that GW can charge stupid prices for basic things (like glue), and then still offer a worse product than everyone else.  :dry:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »
I'm surprised that people still don't know about the Revell liquid glue for plastics :? It's THE glue:   it melts plastic together like a cement and  if you want later to take the melted parts apart, you have to cut  them off by a hobby knife.

cheers
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »
I had a problem with the Revell glue as it kept drying up in the metal tube :icon_razz: And yes, I know that the stuff is extremely flammable, so just taking the tube out and burning it with a lighter solves the problem, but this kept happening even while I was using it! Got a bit annoyed so tested the GW stuff. Apart from that one incident, it's been quite good, although it does require checking which of the glue tube-thingies has the most glue in them...

But maybe I should give the Revell stuff another go... :icon_smile:

Cheers,
- Loran

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I use a trick to prevent drying in the metal tube: just insert a tailor pin in it, it fits perfectly and the glue will never dry. I've been using the same bottles of glue for years now and they are still good.

One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:30:54 AM »
+1 for Revell glue and +another for the lighter trick.

I quite like the lick of flame you get out of the end as the bunged-up glue burns up.  :icon_twisted:
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
I use a trick to prevent drying in the metal tube: just insert a tailor pin in it, it fits perfectly and the glue will never dry. I've been using the same bottles of glue for years now and they are still good.

Hmmm... gotta check that out then as well :D I tried the regular tailor pins that are sold in Finland, but they're a bit too thick for the tube... Maybe they've changed the size of the tube since the last time I used a Revell glue (some time back in the glorious '90s :icon_razz: ).

- Loran

Offline Oldbig

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
Thats an great army and great painting :D
-Oldbig

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
Heheheee... I got a bit side-tracked to be honest. 2014 was supposed to start off strong with Empire, but apart from some assembly of models, I got distracted by some bigger fellas: I bought an Ogre Battallion and a Firebelly :icon_razz: The reason for this was that I hadn't tried the allies rules yet, and I figured that harder hitting guys with bigger bellies might be of use :icon_smile:

So far I've assembled the Bulls and Ironguts. The Firebelly needs a bit of GS in the neck gap that I wasn't able to completely remove with the use of warm water, and the Leadbelchers are still in mid-assembly. Here's some pics:

Bulls:

Ironguts:

And then I got a bit side-tracked by the new Tyranids :icon_lol: Didn't get any new models, just the Codex, but reading through it made me realize that I hadn't painted any new 'Nids in a couple of years despite buying new toys during the last release :icon_razz: So some paint on the Hive Tyrant that I got, but it's still WIP:

Will be returning to painting Empire stuff soon though. Got the Ar-Ulric model, although it needs a dunking in some paint remover (which I also got!) but the army of Ulric will march again!  :icon_biggrin:

- Loran

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
A new update to the Middenheim army! After a spur of the moment Empire enthusiasm (spent one lecture browsing the Brush and Palette instead of paying attention :icon_razz: ), I painted the Master Engineer on Robohorse! Now, I know the model's not that great in game, but it looks groovy. Pics are in the first post.

And before anyone looses their minds, the fella is painted in the colours of Nuln, due to him being the leader of a detachment from Nuln. He will be joined by the Ironsides at some point in the future, but for now he's the only weird fella in the otherwise Middenheim -coloured army :icon_smile:

- Loran

Offline Loran

• Members
Re: Loran's army of Middenheim painting log (and other models)
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Whoa... A year goes by very quickly... The year also brought up changes into the life. I moved to a new place with the gf and spent most of the spring, summer and autumn renovating the apartment. And then the interior design / decorating, which was mostly done in the mind of the gf while I was delegated to the role of work muscle :icon_razz:

Anyhoo, spent time reading up on the background stuff and got the new End Times books. Thanquol is waiting for me to get the time to go to Helsinki and pick it up, but the Nagash book got me excited about painting my long-neglected Vampire Counts army. Here's a pic of the army that I took a while back:

Some of the models, such as the Ghouls on the left of the top shelf, are painted in a colour scheme that I'm not too happy with. So they'll be re-painted. Of course, I decided that I didn't really like the blue-ish colour scheme on the Ghouls after I'd painted up 30 of them... :icon_rolleyes:

Here's some WIP pics of the latest painted stuff:
10 Skeletons with spears:

3 Spirit Hosts:

Mortis Engine Spirit Horde and top:

Sorry for the bad quality of pics, especially the Skeletons. I'll try to grab better pics soon, but I don't have a good camera (only the smartphone one) and the lighting is terrible at this time of the year... No natural sunlight whatsoever... :icon_rolleyes:
Also ran out of Agrax Earthshade, which is the primary shading wash that I use, so a bit bummed at the moment. Can't really get more than just the basecoats onto the models... Well, I'll need to make that trip to the gaming store soon :icon_smile:

I'll also try to grab pics of the other painted models in the army. And maybe even pop in an Empire model or two in the painting queue :D

- Loran

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 02:35:35 PM »
Nice work so far  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »
WOOT WOOT another army from Middenland  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »
Thanks Kirgan :icon_smile:

And yes, it's another Middenlander army, zak. At the moment the theme is still somewhat non-distinct, with quite a load of Sigmarite models thrown into the mix and most of the actual Ulrican models WIP assembly/painting. They will be painted in the near future, though, so do not worry! :D And later on they will be joined by a number of units from the other provinces, when I get around to grabbing some new models, such as the Nuln Ironsides from Forge World :icon_smile:

- Loran