home

Author Topic: Bogenhafen City Guard - Now with Heavy Support!  (Read 53227 times)

Offline Tiny

• Members
Bogenhafen City Guard - Now with Heavy Support!
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:20:37 PM »
Hi all,

After luking on the forum for a while I finally decided to get back into wargaming after 12 years off and what better army to choose than the dear old chaps of the Empire? Last time I played Warhammer Fantasy was during 4th ed when I played High Elves, so thought I'd try something different this time. Went for a Bogenhafen scheme because I like the pretty colours.  :blush:

Already got a few models painted and now searching for inspiration for what to take at various point levels (and hence what to buy next).

Here's some pics of my first painted unit. Yes they're archers, yes nobody likes them, but I think they have potential as huntsmen, denying vanguard moves and generally getting in the way.

The archers of Bogenhafen valiantly defend their sheep from marauding Welshmen.

As good a closeup as the camera can bear. The little white bits are dust, Oops.

Apologies for the dodgy iPhone pics. Hopefully will be purchasing a new camera in the coming weeks.

Also, anyone know where a guy might find some fluff about Bogenhafen?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:01:04 AM by Tiny »

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
Re: Bogenhafen - 1st ever painting log.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
Wow, those are really good! Nice job.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 03:24:47 PM »
Those look excellent!

Also, anyone know where a guy might find some fluff about Bogenhafen?

The best source is the old roleplay book 'Shadows over Bogenhafen."
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
Very nicely done. I like the intensity of purple.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »
Welcome back! I have always wished I'd done a Bogenhafen army instead of Talabheim, its such a nice colour scheme. I think I will do one in the future. Yours are looking really promising, I will keep an eye on this thread and look forward to seeing more.

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:47:27 PM »
Really solid work!  I'm especially impressed with the faces and skin.  The guy front and center looks like he's older, leathery, and willing to defend those sheep from just about anything.  Great depth of tone on the purple/red, as well.

I agree with IF, this is definitely one to follow.

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I've really tried to concentrate on painting these guys well as the last time I painted anything was 12 years ago and the quality was, frankly, shocking. Not sure how long I'll be able to keep up the quality once I'm staring units of 30+ state troops in the face.  :icon_biggrin:

Got 2 battalions on order so should be able to crack on with the army pretty soon. Also ordered a cannon and helblaster to round out my little force.

The best source is the old roleplay book 'Shadows over Bogenhafen."

Thanks. I'll see if I can find a 2nd hand copy on everyone's favourite auction site.

Looking into a preliminary list at the moment and while a general on a griffon is tempting, most people seem to take an Arch Lector at the moment. Not sure whether to go with my head or my heart on that one. Any suggestions?

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:16 PM »
Bogenhafen fluff can also be found in the recent book 'Sigmars Heirs' a WHRP book. It has an overview, along with all the other towns and provinces, and a roleplay scenario at the back based in Bogenhafen.

Troops painting look really good, like the red purple colour. Movement tray is lovely. Looking forward to some more troops.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
nice figs,very good paintjob

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
I like it  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:48:06 PM »
NICE!

I like the darker colour scheme, and well executed. Hope to see more.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »
lovely figures, and insults to the welsh.

a perfect thread.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Johedl

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:39:24 AM »
They look really good. The great faces makes the modells look alive. I think the skirmish moment tray is excellent. How did you make it?

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »
nice work dude :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:23 AM »
Yay another Bögenhafen player! Welcome to to the purple and white!

Some good looking models right there, and excellent pictures btw if you hadn't told me I'd have assumed they would have been from a regular camera.

As said, Shadows over Bögenhafen  is a good sourcebook (can't comment on Sigmar's Heir). One thing to keep in mind though is the different goals of WHFRP and WHFB. WHFB is all about (huge) battles seemingly happening all of the time, you need a really big population base for something like that. WHFRP sticks to more realistic numbers of inhabitants of cities and villages, they're maybe even a bit low (as in Europe post-black plague).

So don't pay any attention to those figures, fluff is meant to fit the game!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
Again, thank you all for your very kind words. It's comments like these that make me want to paint more and step up my skills. Good news is that my 2 batallion boxes arrived today so once I've settled on a list I can start building. Greatswords 1st as I know I want a big block of those.

lovely figures, and insults to the welsh.

a perfect thread.

It doesn't count as an insult as I'm a Welshman myself. Mmm... sheep.  :happy:

Yay another Bögenhafen player! Welcome to to the purple and white!

Some good looking models right there, and excellent pictures btw if you hadn't told me I'd have assumed they would have been from a regular camera.

As said, Shadows over Bögenhafen  is a good sourcebook (can't comment on Sigmar's Heir). One thing to keep in mind though is the different goals of WHFRP and WHFB. WHFB is all about (huge) battles seemingly happening all of the time, you need a really big population base for something like that. WHFRP sticks to more realistic numbers of inhabitants of cities and villages, they're maybe even a bit low (as in Europe post-black plague).

So don't pay any attention to those figures, fluff is meant to fit the game!

The lighting really helps the pics to be honest, as does a little colour correction in photoshop. Also, I feel that making a little diorama out of the pics helps detract from the poor quality. The camera does make it really hard to get good shots though. Took a total of 17 shots to end up with 2 good ones.

Looking forward to reading Shadows over Bogenhafen. Found a friend who has loads of WFRP books so will hopefully have it on the weekend.

They look really good. The great faces makes the modells look alive. I think the skirmish moment tray is excellent. How did you make it?

Thanks. The skirmish tray is just plasticard. One sheet for the base then 1/2" strips between the models and a thin border. Then covered with sand, painted and static grassed. The little tufts of grass are ready made tufts meant for model railways that I found on eBay. This one came out a little shallow imho so will be making another deeper one that covers the base sides fully. May cast up a few in resin if anyone's interested.

Edit: Please pop over to my list page here and give some opinions. I'm struggling a bit with what to take to be honest.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:08:40 PM by Tiny »

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 02:54:04 PM »

Looking forward to reading Shadows over Bogenhafen. Found a friend who has loads of WFRP books so will hopefully have it on the weekend.

The book is actually a rather strange read. It's intended as part of a role-playing adventure so it also contains lots of information that is completely not relevant to Bögenhafen. Of course, there's also a sizeable bit to take the players through the adventure with encounters etc.

The real gems for the WHFB player are the maps (both the surrounding and a city map), the description of the surrounding villages and what they produce and of course the part that goes into describing the 4 major merchant families that really rule Bögenhafen.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »
Also, I feel that making a little diorama out of the pics helps detract from the poor quality.

I think the quality is excellent,  :eusa_clap:
but I just love the diorama (and the sheeps are brilliant).

fbjorn

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
How did you get the sheep on the photo, green screen?
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 05:23:51 PM »

Looks like he stood a picture of the sheep in the fields up behind the movement tray, then took the picture. Easy as can be!
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »

Looks like he stood a picture of the sheep in the fields up behind the movement tray, then took the picture. Easy as can be!

Spot on. All done on my kitchen worktop. Stuck the picture of sheep and hills up on the wall (pic from google images, used without permission  :-D), placed a bit of gaming surface in front. Few wall sections to hide the join between the two and job done. Simple but effective.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Great personality on your archers.

I would suggest you get down to business by painting a bigger block.

In the same quality of course.  :closed-eyes:
My hood is my castle...

Offline Sanctus

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 11:18:38 PM »
Awesome minis  :eusa_clap:
I've have a little question though , which purples do you use for the cloth? Just i've been wanting to get a colour like that on some of my 40k minis.
I hope you post some more of those awsome minis too :-D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:43:24 PM by Kill Krazy »

Offline Tiny

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
Great personality on your archers.

I would suggest you get down to business by painting a bigger block.

In the same quality of course.  :closed-eyes:

Got a lot of state troops on my desk ready to build. The sheer number of sprues is a little daunting to say the least. I'll be working on these soon, but doing something else to keep the motivation up at the moment (see below for peeks).

Awesome minis  :eusa_clap:
I've have a little question though , which purples do you use for the cloth? Just i've been wanting to get a colour like that on some of my 40k minis.
I hope you post some more of those awsome minis too :-D

Thanks, purple was done with:

Black Undercoat, Liche Purple, 50/50 Liche/Warlock Purple, Warlock Purple, 50/50 Warlock/Bleached Bone. This was all then given a glaze of 50/50 Liche/Warlock with a touch of Vallejo glaze medium to blend the colours a bit. Bought some foundation purple to try out on the next few instead of the Liche Purple so we'll see how that goes.

Anyhow, on with the real meat of the post (and what you all came here to see).

I've not, as I promised previously, been working on any blocks of troops. To be perfectly frank, they scared me. Instead I've been working on these:

Not yet completed and no crew done as yet, but hey, it's progress at least. Better pics will be taken once crew and movement trays are done.

Speaking of movement trays, I did a new one for my archers and cast a few up in resin. Came out pretty nice to be honest. Not painted it yet so here's a nasty bare resin pic for you. If there's any interest I'll put some up on ebay. Sensibly, I decided to make the outer borders 1/4" so that 2 trays placed together make up the perfect layout for larger units.

Also made some nice little artillery trays with space for any of the empire artillery pieces and slots for crew too. They measure 80x100mm which seemed to fit well with all the crew and leave space for the obligatory barrels, cannon balls and powder monkeys. Not sure if it's a little too big for gaming purposes though. What do you guys think?

Anyway, thanks for looking as always. I look forward to your comments.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:39:08 AM by Tiny »

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
It would depend how much you charge for those bases...they sure are very nice.