Warhammer Empire
The Eighth Edition for Life (EEFL) Warhammer Forum
Chaos Dawrfs Online
Carpe Noctem
Lustria Online

The free servers for Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning are still active

The WTW community is still growing.

**?

Just thought everyone would appreciate knowing about the current state of things.

GamesPoet:
Thanks a bunch!  Very good to learn, and appreciate your effort in compiling the list. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Put one on my tab. :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

Gankom:
The Warhammer Fantasy battles/Old World discord is pretty thriving. Constant activity in most channels all day, couple hundred people or something.

Captain Dob Van Dwi:

--- Quote from: GamesPoet on October 08, 2021, 09:09:41 PM ---Thanks a bunch!  Very good to learn, and appreciate your effort in compiling the list. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

Put one on my tab. :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

--- End quote ---

Your welcome.

--- Quote from: Gankom on October 08, 2021, 09:16:47 PM ---The Warhammer Fantasy battles/Old World discord is pretty thriving. Constant activity in most channels all day, couple hundred people or something.

--- End quote ---

Fantastic. Still it is discord though, I question the overall effectiveness of the platform supporting a new player to the game. But then I have never been on discord so what do I know.

Overall thoughts:

I just find it said that for many if not most new players coming in to this hobby, their chosen army/faction is unlikely to have any real online support these days.

TRToB died from management/domain issues. Shame that, there is a good chance that it would still be running otherwise.

TK, Beastmen, WE and OK were never popular armies to begin with. Dogs of War have unsupported since the 90's and O&G to a special/specific type/style of player. So it is not really all that surprising that things went dark.

What really surprised me though was the fact the Underempire (Skaven) & CotE (WoC) went under. Matter of fact TUE has been dead for over three years now! It blows my mind that forums for two of the most popular armies, could not survive the transition to AoS. Hell, Chaos is a main faction in AoS!

What shocked me even more is that LO is getting around two new forum members every month! I'm glad to see Lizardmen are doing so well of course, but it is surprising. 

Gankom:
Discord is interesting, I'll say that. Very different style than a forum. There's a lot of focus on painting and showing off models, but its not really saved like a plog so its a lot more "In the moment". Several fantastic artists who take it as a chance to show off in progress commissions.

One of the big things it does is link people who want to play online. A ton of people are still playing various editions using a game called tabletop simulator, and the discord links not just the people but all the resources you need to play. I'll be honest, I just cant get into it. its such a different feeling from a casual hang out physical game. But it scratches that itch for a ton of people, and its very popular with new players because they don't actually have to buy anything beyond the base game. Everythings available free online. Want to try a wood elf army? You're good to go in 10 minutes without trawling ebay.

Very different from how we use to do it, but the hobby aint dead yet. Just massively changed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version