home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 790801 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11300 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 - Abbadon Arrives at Cadia  :icon_biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ7MIPxXuag
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11301 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »
Looks like Civ 6 announced their new x-pac and some new civs including the Maori, Hungary, and Canada.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11302 on: December 12, 2018, 08:26:53 PM »
All hail Canada, the greatest of civilizations. Our special unit poutine vendor will conquer all!

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11303 on: December 12, 2018, 08:40:05 PM »
Looks like they will specialize in settling in the tundra and making national parks with Mountie units getting a bonus fighting in them. They also get hockey stadiums as a special building. I kid you not!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:21:13 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
« Reply #11304 on: December 12, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »
I thought I had finally purged my Civ-obsession until I heard about the Canada inclusion this week.  Must resist, stay strong.

Sigh, I probably won't resist.

For some reason this reminded me of back in Civ III when I played as Mennonites.  Not quite as pacifist leaning though.  Highlight was my Mennonite tank running down the last of the Russian settlers.  It was just too pure of a moment.  What mayhem will I get into with my Canucks?

Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11305 on: December 27, 2018, 06:52:35 PM »
I restarted my Bretonnian campaign and so far I am doing very well. By turn 80 I united all of bretonnia and kicked out the vampire and beastmen factions plaguing it. I burned down many of Norsica's towns to slow down their raiding. Funny story, their first large army sent against me near the start happened by a single lord I had sailing to find treasure. It became a 10 turn boat chase across the sea before pirates intercepted me.  This caused that Norsica army to have to sail and walk all the way back to my 2 province starting location. This stall allowed me to take all of Marienburg's provinces and eliminate the vampire faction in the mountains before doubling back to crush the Norsican forces. I took a huge hit in trustworthiness and chivalry because I went to war with Morgiana The Fay because Parravon declared war and pulled me into it. I took the province She claimed from Parravon and then crushed her army before declaring a peace. After some diplomatic research and a few gifts I ended up confederating her. Artois and Bordeleaux took forever to confederate for some reason. I am in good standing with the Empire, Middenland, and the high elves. The WE keep looking at me funny and both love and hate me at the same time which makes boarder security tense. I am helping the Empire fight off the vampires that have encroached and desolated their lands. The Beastmen are also stomping middenland hard. I am tempted to move in and take some land there (I own half of Reikland because of the beastmen and vampires) and crush the herd. On the other hand I want them to be strong enough to fight off archaon while I get into position to crush chaos whenever they show up.  I am also using the Empire as a buffer between us and the greenskins which are the dominating faction with 22 territories.

I think I need to crush the vamps(so the empire can fight off the orcs), then beastmen, then Orcs in that order. The vamps are just getting too powerful.

Sadly the campaign is on hold since I got the switch for Christmas along with LoZ: Breath of the Wild. It is an incredibly soothing game. I play it and my wife likes to watch and help. I finally left the great plateau yesterday (aka tutorial land). While in tutorial land there is a small lake next to the temple of time that has a tall small island on it with a sword in the stone there. I pulled the rusty blade and broke it over the head of a stalfos. I was able to knock a moblin off a horse and take the horse and tame it. Looks like you can joust in the game as there is mounted combat. This game is enthralling. Wish weapons and shields didn't break though.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11306 on: January 01, 2019, 12:47:48 AM »
Have you mounted a bear yet?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11307 on: January 01, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
I haven't come across one yet. I've been pretty much in the south and eastern portions of the map. I am just now exploring the northern forests.
 :happy:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11308 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:07 AM »
I am also playing total warhammer, and wasn't really enjoying the lizardmen battles too much.

But realised I was fucking around too much with cold one riders, terradons etc. and now just make armies with 2 heroes (either a slann and a saurus vet on carnosaur, or a saurus lord on carnosaur and a skink beast shaman, who has 2 good buff spells he can spam around all over the shop), 9 units of saurus and 9 carnosaurs/stegadons.

I control all of central and southern america, and have just sent 3 armies across the sea to africa, hopefully can force Kroq Gar to confederate with me.

Havent bothered with any rituals yet. Can't decide if i am just going to spam them all out later, or go for a domination victory.

Pass the machete.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #11309 on: January 02, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
Just recently got BATTLETECH. Haven't played such a good hex-based, turn-based tactical wargame in ages  :happy:
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11310 on: January 03, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
I am also playing total warhammer, and wasn't really enjoying the lizardmen battles too much.

But realised I was fucking around too much with cold one riders, terradons etc. and now just make armies with 2 heroes (either a slann and a saurus vet on carnosaur, or a saurus lord on carnosaur and a skink beast shaman, who has 2 good buff spells he can spam around all over the shop), 9 units of saurus and 9 carnosaurs/stegadons.

I control all of central and southern america, and have just sent 3 armies across the sea to africa, hopefully can force Kroq Gar to confederate with me.

Havent bothered with any rituals yet. Can't decide if i am just going to spam them all out later, or go for a domination victory.

Lustria you mean? :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11311 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
I couldn't remember what warhammer called Africa, so I stuck with central and south america for Lustria.

Anyway, we all know the dark elves are just the inner evil murderous Canadian they always hide so well.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11312 on: January 03, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
Anyway, we all know the dark elves are just the inner evil murderous Canadian they always hide so well.

He's onto us...

Warhammer Africa is really just called the rather unoriginal Southlands isn't it? I never particularly liked the name.

Edit: Just checked, forgot SOuthlands is really only Southern Africa. The Northern part is still Araby and the Tomb King lands of Khemri.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11313 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »

He's onto us...

Warhammer Africa is really just called the rather unoriginal Southlands isn't it? I never particularly liked the name.

Edit: Just checked, forgot SOuthlands is really only Southern Africa. The Northern part is still Araby and the Tomb King lands of Khemri.

Yep! He’s on to us. Maybe we should just blanket apologize for anything to throw him off the trail. 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11314 on: January 07, 2019, 05:20:51 AM »
Been heavy into Zelda BotW. Fuck the Yiga clan! Assholes show up at the most inopportune times now.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11315 on: January 08, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »
I bought some indy games on switch.

Into the Breach is a turn based strategy game made by people who made FTL. You pilot a squad of 3 time travelling mechs with various abilities and have to stop insects destroying cities.
the "power grid" of the city acts as your overall health bar, if there's no power left your mechs can't run.
The enemies telegraph their attacks and then you have to work out how to stop it by pushing, pulling, throwing, killing, smoke bombing etc etc.

It's super duper fun, but has also made me itching for a "traditional" turn based combat game to go and kill everything. advance wars for Switch?!

Bought Overcooked and that's hecka fun, played some with my brother who was visiting. Think no one else in my house will be good enough to help me so will have to wait till i see him again.

and my Brother helped Ted set up the beginnings of his minecraft server, as I have no clue how to start- poor imagination and never played minecraft before. But now Ted's world is up and running I'm having fun dipping into that and helping him out. I might build my own server because I went to do some mining for Iron to realise Ted has somehow used or lost all 40 odd bits of coal I mined previously, so can't make any torches.

Still grinding out Warhammer as lizardmen, I get to about 140 turns played, have stabilised home continent, have a bunch of powerful armies, but can't be bothered to go for full domination win or do the vortexes (did this with high elves too). I sent like 5 armies to fake africa and confederated with kroq gar, so I'm smashing the skaven down in south africa, but I'm friendly and trading with the tomb kings in north africa so don't really want to get into a huge war there.
Maybe i'll turtle up and spam out the vortexes just to finish the campaign. Still want to try Dark Elves and Tomb Kings (dont really fancy a skaven one), and then will do vampire counts once that DLC drops in price.
Think mortal empires needs to wait till I have a new pc as turn times and battle loading are pretty bad just on vortex.

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11316 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
oh and my brother in law bought me undertale for christmas. I like the humour and inventiveness, but not sure it's really the style of game i'd play for 10 hours.

Pass the machete.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #11317 on: January 08, 2019, 04:31:06 PM »
The Forest on PS4 is a blast with friends.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11318 on: January 08, 2019, 07:09:55 PM »
Ted has somehow used or lost all 40 odd bits of coal I mined previously, so can't make any torches.

You can use wood blocks as both fuel and the 'input material', turning it into charcoal, which can be used for torches as well as serve as a better fuel than wood blocks. By replanting trees you have basically an endless supply of fuel and torch material.
i
I've got a world with each of my kids and one with both of them. It's funny to see how they differ. My daughter loves all kinds of building projects and focuses on aesthetics, while my son builds a 'house' which is more like a shallow cave with a bed and some storage and goes off monster hunting and exploring caverns.

Me? I go for megalomaniac feats of construction, like my wizard tower that reaches the top most layer in the sky and whose dungeon levels reach the bedrock. I'm a bit unsure how to decorate all those levels though...

As for Into the Breach, that one is definitely on my wish list, together with Slay the Spire, that one looks really fun as well. Waiting for really good deals though, it's not like I don't have enough to play.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #11319 on: January 08, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »

It's super duper fun, but has also made me itching for a "traditional" turn based combat game to go and kill everything. advance wars for Switch?!

If you are looking for great TB combat and like RPG's I'd recommend Blackguards (the first not the second one). An rpg not a strategy game for sure but it's combat and character system is lovely.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11320 on: January 09, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »
I played the heck out of Into The Breach. Totally love it.

Also played more then a bit of Minecraft. Got really into playing it with friends, then fell of when they all moved to something else and had no one to play with.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11321 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Ah, I knew you could burn wood to make charcoal, but didnt know that went on torches too.

Ted so far is building a sky scraper as his house (working off my Brothers initial 2 storey build), and alternate levels are made out of glass.

He set up a server for his sister and built her a house, which amused me- my Bro set up a world for Ted and then got annoyed when Ted broke stuff, and Ted has set up a world for Violet and then wasn't letting her play or modify anything.

I'm enjoying letting him derple around and then playing a bit once he's gone to bed and improving stuff for him. Got him sheep, chicken, and cow farms and wheat and carrot farms set up.
I found a village last night and a big cavern with lava in it, but I had too much gear on and in my inventory to want to risk exploring. Going to go spelunking tonight but with less stuff so if I die it doesn't matter so much.

I want to build a hobbit hole house.

Re TBS: I was put off Blackguards by the terrible reviews.

waiting for this bad boy on Switch. https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/wargroove-switch

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11322 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:15 AM »
Over Christmas holiday, my son was playing Mario Run on his iPad, and when he was asleep I was unlocking levels and characters...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11323 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:07 AM »
Over Christmas holiday, my son was playing Mario Run on his iPad, and when he was asleep I was unlocking levels and characters...

So much for him learning perseverance and getting the feeling of accomplishment!  :unsure:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11324 on: January 12, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
Oh no he gets that. Its a challenging enough game for his sge.
Kerp in mind he cannot read yet too.
All the base game levels he unlocked himself. There are 9 special levels that require very specific conditions to be met to unlock them.
Such as not killing a single goomba on a level littered with them. Which took me a couple of hours to do. After he was in bed. Or another that required you to get all 400 coins in a level. That took me almost a week nightly of practise. I got a serious sense of accomplishment from that one!

I am a big believer in the lessons of mario, of never giving up and the destination is more important than dwelling on failure along the way. And frustration management! There is even a TED talk about it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.