home

Author Topic: Dipping Empire, help please!  (Read 11008 times)

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
Dipping Empire, help please!
« on: June 05, 2007, 03:44:19 PM »
Summertime and vaction is here atlast! I will finally have time to paint my Empire army that I bought in november last year! But I know that I still dont have the time or mind for painting my army the good old way. And I have found dipping to be interesting. And as it is time saving it's a dream come true.

Now I have some q for thoose that hopefully have tried this out.

What colours work the best for dipping Empire? I was going to go for an Ostermark theme. But I dont need to.

So any tips for dipping Empire is very wellcome!

Offline Papabear

• Members
  • Aut disce aut discede (Either learn or leave)
Re: Dipping Empire, help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:53:59 PM »
I am in the middle of dipping a Dark Elf army in Light purple/silver with a product called FAB (Fanatic Army Painter) in a shade called Medium and the result is astonishing. :icon_surprised:

This link should give you a lot of information of this brilliant product
http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/

Best regards
Papabear
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es  (Knowledge is power.)

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the link! I have seen that site before, but have not been able to find it now. Great to hear that purple works, I was afraid that it would be too dark to start with so that it would not come out as good as other colours might.

Offline Greg DiStefano

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
Another alternative to fanatic's insanely overprices product is MinWax, which is a wood stein u can get in any hardwear store.  U may want to thin it down a little, but a friend of mine dipped most of his undead army in it and it looks fantastic for the amount of time it took.
HARRROOOOOO

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 09:22:52 PM »
What do you thin it with? I've got a spare woodstain can (small tiny little one) that I want to use. But... I just don't know where to start with it really. Turps?

sj

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Eww I hate the results of dipping!  But if you're not a master painter they look great for a few minutes of work.

-Grutch

Offline catbarf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »
am in the middle of dipping a Dark Elf army in Light purple/silver with a product called FAB (Fanatic Army Painter) in a shade called Medium and the result is astonishing. icon_surprised

This link should give you a lot of information of this brilliant product
http://armypainter.fanatic.dk/

Best regards
Papabear

NO! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

PLEASE, just buy ordinary woodstain! I've used FAP, and you can get the exact same result by using a black or brown stain and thinning it to the desired consistency.

I remember seeing an article on dipped empire, it works very well with bright colors- the trick is to water it down, so that it doesn't overpower the main colors. Try it, you'll like it.

Offline Dorkman

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:16:44 AM »
Dipping empire does work. I should know, I am currently working on the project. Well, at least I think it works.

I use Minwax Antique Waltnut Polyshades brand stain. It is important to ensure that it is a polyurethane stain. Not quite sure about the science behind it, but anything else and it gets all goopy and ugly like.

Myself I don't thin the stain, I just be sure to shake off as much of the bloody stuff as possible, but then I somewhat enjoy at stark contrast when it comes to shades.

Regardless, here is a pic of what I have so far. It is probably a bad one as I just snapped it without really setting up a proper photo taking assembly. Enjoy!

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 03:08:06 AM »
Ohhh I see... I think the one in the garage is NOT Polyshades brand, and well, the test goblin is gloopy and bubbly lol. I haven't even checked on it.

Those look good. Namely the red and the helmet in the back.

sj

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
For the longest time I used to not be a big fan of dipping, but as I have had less and less time to work on Warhammer, I've been thinking of giving it a try myself, at least on the rank 'n' file guys.

I have to say dorkman, those look really good.
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 08:36:48 AM »
Eww I hate the results of dipping!  But if you're not a master painter they look great for a few minutes of work.

-Grutch

Even though I am not a master painter, I can paint, and get a good result from it!
But I just dont have the time to paint an army of hunreds of models. It would take too long. Over the last 6 months I have come up with 5 2 thirds painted handgunners. It's going to slow. Dipping is the way to go for me if I ever want to have a new Empire army.

Very nice pics Dorkman! Nice work!

I wont buy FAP, it was way to expensive, but the guide is good and you get plenty of examples for how you should "do the dip".

Offline unheilig

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »
I had to paint 68 infantry in 4 days.

you bet yer bippy I dipped 'em!
"History has shown there are no invincible armies"

Offline Dorkman

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 04:42:29 PM »
Ha, even while dipping this army has been a 5 month work in project..

Lordy I am lazy :D

Offline Grutch

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 07:13:37 PM »
Dipping empire does work. I should know, I am currently working on the project. Well, at least I think it works.

Wow I stand corrected,  those look fantastic!

-Grutch

Offline Papabear

• Members
  • Aut disce aut discede (Either learn or leave)
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »
Fab may be overpriced, but in difference to woodstain it comes in different shading after what you prefere and what you are dipping. :icon_biggrin:

It contains a hardener and some ingredient's that make your colours stand forward.

I bought a can of FAB medium and up to this date dipped: 100 infantry of different regiments, 2 boltthrowers with crew, 16 dark riders, 1 chariot, 1 War hydra with handlers and 5 Cold one Knights and only used 1/3 of the can  :icon_surprised:

Papabear
Nam et ipsa scientia potestas es  (Knowledge is power.)

Offline catbarf

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 08:49:57 PM »
Fab may be overpriced, but in difference to woodstain it comes in different shading after what you prefere and what you are dipping. icon_biggrin

It contains a hardener and some ingredient's that make your colours stand forward.

I bought a can of FAB medium and up to this date dipped: 100 infantry of different regiments, 2 boltthrowers with crew, 16 dark riders, 1 chariot, 1 War hydra with handlers and 5 Cold one Knights and only used 1/3 of the can  icon_surprised

Papabear

Shading: Use different thicknesses, less water = darker shade

Colors standing forward? That isn't physically possible, unless it makes everything brighter - in which case it is just a lighter shade of dip. There isn't a way to make the colors more saturated by coating them in something else, unless you are using a brighter paint color.

I bought a $10 can of Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut and have dipped 2,000pts of Tyranids and 1500pts of Chaos Dwarfs, and I'm not done with it yet. That's one advantage of dipping, it goes a long way.

Oh, and I have an unopened, shrink-wrapped box of Cold One Knights if you're interested.

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 05:58:31 AM »
sorry to be a noob but what is dipping im guessing you dip the models in a tub of paint but i cant be sure??
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 08:52:10 AM »
sorry to be a noob but what is dipping im guessing you dip the models in a tub of paint but i cant be sure??

You undercoat your models in white, then just put one layer of paint on it, then you dip the whole model in the woodfinish thingie, or FAP if you got the money for it. Then you shake the excess dip of, then leave it to dry for about 24 hours. Then the models is all but done, just finish the base as normal.

Offline Andreas Ringqvist

• Members
  • Forward, ladz!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 03:21:34 PM »
I've been trying dipping lately, and I like the results. But you need to choose the right colours for basecoat (I don't like blue or green).
I used FAP, medium for Stirland and light for the others. I don''t like the stirland result, I would recomend Talabecland or Ostermark of the known provinces, or mayby Talabheim or Reikland if you like a really dirty white. I have used testors dullcoat to remove the shine, but may have to add som shine on the metal since dullcoat works SO GOOD.

Talabecland, Ostermark, Stirland.

Mad flagelants

Bad dipping surface

The Ostermak Avengers

Mad Bertha ;-)

Good luck!

/debugging

Offline Dorkman

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 05:37:07 PM »
Well most stains are brown in nature. So it would only make sense that the colors that work with it exceptionally well are those that are derivative of browns. Reds, Orangs, Yellows, Bieges. Anything else it works to a degree, but it ends up looking dirty.

Mind you if that is the look your going for..awesome!

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
For Ostermark what colours should I use?
Warlock purple is the purple I have, should I mix it brigther? I also have bad moon yellow and golden yellow, I think I will go for bad moon. Or does gold come out better?

I really liked how that Ostermark gunner crew looked! Just how I want mine!

Offline Soju

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 08:41:37 PM »
Wow those are really helpful man.

I see now that I should rethink about dipping Stirlanders... but the cannons might be a good option to dip. That looks great.

sj

Offline Andreas Ringqvist

• Members
  • Forward, ladz!
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 09:34:02 PM »
For Ostermark i used warlock purple and bad moon yellow (on white undercoat of course).

/debugging

Offline catbarf

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 11:31:03 PM »
You might want to consider a black dip instead- it would probably go over purple better than a brown one would.

Offline _Ashdil_

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 08:29:50 AM »
For Ostermark i used warlock purple and bad moon yellow (on white undercoat of course).

/debugging

Okey, thanks! I think I've got the info I need now. I just need to get my hands on some wood finish and then I am of to test it!
Thanks for the help all, I'll post pics on how it ends up!