home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 132656 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #575 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:12 PM »
Played alot of games (mostly as I noticed that most would play frostgrave and mordheim got buried during the weekend) and I have some mixed feelings on the game.

1) The setting with using wizards is not really my cup of tea. Added to that keeping track of all those spells is a bit overwhelming and judging them for their value.

2) Plus point is the generic-ness of the henchmen, keeps it simple.

3) Shooting does look a bit overpowered, but can be negated a bit by using the scenery very well to keep out of sight, making the crossbows move so they can't shoot for a turn.

4) 20 sided dice feels most of the time very fickle.

5) Experience / gold feels very unbalanced in a campaign. Not having played before but ending up with a wizard level 21-23? (Not sure need to check my sheet) with 6 games, and all high end soldiers and an Inn with most add-ons while others fell way behind
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #576 on: July 01, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »
I posted these in the painting forum as well.

Here are 2 WIP Frostgrave warbands inspired from Mordheim. They are made with the Frostgrave plastic kits avaliable, Perry Footknights, bits and a lot of greenstuff.

Marienburgers

Middenheimers

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #577 on: July 01, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
Great GS work, really like them. Especially the middenheimers
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #578 on: July 01, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
Looking very good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #579 on: July 01, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »
Thanks. I'm rather fond of the Middenheimers as well. Although, I suspect that I will have more fun painting the Marienburgers.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #580 on: July 02, 2016, 06:34:35 AM »
They're fantastic
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #581 on: July 02, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
Wow those are really great
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #582 on: July 02, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
Thanks! I expect to have painted them in a few weeks and I will update with pictures after I'm done.

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #583 on: July 02, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Giving my Necromancer and Apprentice the same treatment as my Enchanters Warband- some pics of them in the midst of terrain. I traded for and painted this GW Crypt, lovely model.

Played my first game with these guys last night, I'm a pretty big fan of the imp- it's the first time I have ever used a thief.

*Unlike our enchanter friend whom has taken up residence in a cabin deep in the midst of the woods, our Necromancer has decided to set up his workshop in a hidden and long forgotten crypt along the edge of a graveyard. Evidence of occupation no doubt given away by the supplies left near the crypt.

*Although lucrative earnings can be made from the many alchemical compounds found in the dreaded purple worms, their presence in a graveyard is heretical to our Necromancer. The creature must be destroyed before it can violate more graves...

*Home Sweet Home
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #584 on: July 05, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »
From the writer's analysis of the first year of Frostgrave:

This will be followed in November by Forgotten Pacts, another print supplement which focuses on demons and the barbarian tribes that live in the mountains to the north of the Frozen City. And yes, the rumours are true, the book will be supported by a new box of plastic barbarian miniatures. (I have seen the 3-ups and they are awesome!).

Full post here:
http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/frostgrave-state-of-play-and-contest.html

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #585 on: July 08, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
That's exciting! Who doesn't love barbarians?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #586 on: July 09, 2016, 01:21:55 AM »
The ancient Greeks and Romans?

I will be pretty exited for them if they are just as good as the soldiers and cultists.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #587 on: July 20, 2016, 05:43:05 PM »
Got an update on my warbands.

Current WIP painting. Lighting is daylight, so the paintjob looks a bit worse than it is. I will take better pictures when I get home.

Marienburgers

Middenheimers

Genie

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #588 on: July 20, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
Really beautiful work Ursa. Something about those middenheimers hit the spot for me.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #589 on: July 21, 2016, 12:23:32 AM »
Very nice.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #590 on: July 21, 2016, 02:55:32 AM »
Really beautiful work Ursa. Something about those middenheimers hit the spot for me.

Me too. Saw them in b&p too. The models are great to start, but the little touches you added make them pop.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #591 on: July 21, 2016, 11:19:16 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm pretty fond of how the Middenheimers turned out, myself. :biggriin:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:22:26 AM by Ursa Doom »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #592 on: July 21, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »
I like the Marienburgers. Perry/Frostgrave kitbashes rule.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #593 on: July 21, 2016, 12:58:01 PM »
Thanks Padre. I'm actually having more fun painting the Marienburgers because it's not often I use so many vibrant colours.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #594 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
The Gnolls look adorable!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #595 on: July 28, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »
Does anyone have the Breeding Pits expansion yet? Is it any good?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Philhelm

• Members
« Reply #596 on: July 29, 2016, 05:44:56 AM »
I think that Into the Breeding Pits is worthwhile (not that it's expensive to begin with).  It's not totally revolutionary, but it has some rules for dungeons, such as modifications to certain spells (height limits, not ending up in "dead space," visibility range, traps, etc.).

There is a new monster encounter chart, which is less undead heavy, and introduces new monsters such as gnolls (obviously), hydras, minotaurs, etc.  The gnolls are cooler than the cultists from Thaw of the Lich Lord since they are equivalent to the soldiers you can hire (i.e. thugs, knights, barbarians, etc.).

There are new items, obviously.  Since I love the D&D cleric class, I'm rolling with a Thaumaturge, and was thrilled to see the Armor of Righteousness.  It is for the Thaumaturge only, and confers +2 Armor, but prevents the wizard from casting spells from the Necromancy, Summoner, and Elementalist schools of magic (ouch!).

There are also rules for the Beastcrafter, which is analogous to the Lich in that you gain new abilities and such.  There are three levels of improvement, with the wizard becoming more animal like with each stage.  You can even gain bestial enhancements, such as claws and even wings.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #597 on: July 29, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
Thanks. I'm quite interested in the dungeon rules. I have the Advanced Heroquest tiles that I could use for them.
If I wanted to.

Offline Philhelm

• Members
« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2016, 01:22:13 AM »
Overview of Dungeon Rules:

Standard Set-Up:  May represent a huge cavern; doors are placed at the table edges as exit points.

Dungeon Set-Up:  Floor tiles, etc.  Rules reference "dead space" (solid rock, etc., for areas outside of the dungeon tiles.

Certain spells are modified.  For example, the Crumble spell has no effect on dead space, Leap is limited due to ceilings and dead space, Mud is weakened, etc.  It takes an action to open a door and doors cannot be locked.  There are rules for imaginary ceilings that are dependent on tallest terrain piece.  LOS is limited due to subterranean darkness (wizards are assumed to have a light spell active, and soldiers have torches and lanterns).  Traps can be sprung on an Initiative roll of a 1; the rolling player may then choose any model (including monsters) to be the one to have sprung the trap.  There is a trap chart with various effects and some can be negated by rolling the "Trap Number" (wizards and certain soldiers get a bonus to the roll).  On an initiative roll of 20, a single model may move through terrain since it found a secret passage.

P.S. Another cool item is a wand that allows the Heal spell to be cast at a 12" range.  Awesome for Thaumaturges and other wizards that use Heal.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #599 on: July 30, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the information!

That wand does sound useful
If I wanted to.