home

Author Topic: Chaos Fluff Objective  (Read 1507 times)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Chaos Fluff Objective
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:46:51 PM »
THE FOUR CURSES OF CHAOS

The Nemesis War has begun. From across the Old World and beyond, armies are mustered and despatched, with express orders to seize the Nemesis Crown or prevent it from falling into the hands of their enemies. But despite these assemblies of armed forces, not all are yet aware of the Crown’s existence, or truly appreciate its importance. Nevertheless, there is another much valued treasure hidden within the Great Forest that the Hordes of Chaos are determined to retrieve. As the Realm of Chaos expands, and warriors march forth beneath its shadow, there are those that seek to recover these relics and utilise their power to further the aims of their divine overlords. They search for the Four Curses of Chaos.

The Curses were first created almost one thousand years ago by Salome the Crone, a witch of Chaos in the thrall of an immensely powerful daemon known only as The Cursemaster. They were fashioned as a spell of summonation, a means by which The Cursemaster would be able to retain physical form for a short period of time, whilst it strived to achieve its goal of permanent manifestation within the mortal domain. In time, Salome and her daemonic patron were thwarted by the intervention of the Witch Hunter Markus Schpitter. Salome was slain, and The Cursemaster banished; the scroll upon which the Curses had been inscribed was torn in four and divided across the corners of the Old World. But the ancient parchment was empowered with the will of The Cursemaster, who has spent the last few centuries plotting its revenge. Now, as the warriors of the Dark Gods renew their attack upon the Southern Lands, the Curses have returned to the point of their creation: the Barren Hills within The Empire. If the Hordes of Chaos can reunite the Four Curses of Chaos, then an almighty Daemon King shall be reborn and herald a new age of bloodshed and terror.

In the far north of the Chaos Wastes, gods whisper to champions and sorcerers as they dream, promising glory to those who can retrieve these treasures. Whilst others focus upon the search for the Nemesis Crown, these enlightened warriors gather together, and set out on quests to fulfil the wills of their masters. At their head is the Chaos Lord Abhorakh Solomar, Lead Horseman of the Apocalypse. Guided by the advice of his daemonic patron, Solomar has rallied many like-minded warlords to his cause, and forged a confederacy of tribes together to form the Legion of Oblivion. If the Legion can achieve its aim and recover the Four Curses of Chaos from the Barren Hills, then the Chaos Gods shall come closer to achieving their goal of total world domination…

______

I personally don't know anyone who plays chaos, but if you do then maybe you could tie this in somehow.  They're trying to tie it in with the crown by finding this and aiding them in their search.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
Re: Chaos Fluff Objective
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:15:33 PM »
Well, I refrained from giving any comments about this over at the Warvault, but I'll do it here.

The writing is nice enough. They have put some work in there, and the result is nice, and I'm sure it's a good piece of fluff. However, they just shouldn't have bothered with it. As I see it, there are two big problems with it:

1) It's not tied in with the NC campaign. At least at the moment, that is - they claim it will be, but even so, I can't see why they would have what is basically an entirely different campaign. Sure, a sub-plot is nice, and it's absolutely a good thing to come up with your own faction goals, like we did, and write about those. But this goes too far.

2) Second, it's not original. Sure, it's nice writing, as I already said, and the details may be a bit different. But in the end, the Chaos players are again having a storyline which basically says "stop us or you'll be destroyed". Big bad deamon, some clues, a leader with a horde of followers trying to summon the deamon, if he does the Empire will havyetothe foe in its lands. How original. Now, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be a nice story, after all, a lot of stories are built on simple concepts that are rather similar. But the NC campaign is already playing in the Empire, let these guys have their fun somewhere else - not every campaign/storyline has to play in the Empire and threaten it. I realise this totally denies the intention of the writers of this fluff, since they want to give Chaos a reason to be here except chasing the NC. But that's their problem.

This may come over a bit harsh, but I just think the Chaos players want too much. A sub-plot, fine; a totally different campaign, no. They'll just have to realise they're not the arch-enemy in, and the focus point of, every campaign.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »
Well, this isn't really an issue for me, as I don't have any chaos opponents.  If anyone else thinks it won't work, let me know, please.  I can relay that information back so they won't put effort into something that may not make it off the ground.  So, any opinions, as always, are welcomed.

not together.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 02:37:05 PM »
I'm not saying it won't work - I'm just saying I don't like it too much. :-)

If they want to put effort in it, well, I suppose we can't stop them. The question is, should we try and help them? Or, also, if the Chaos players want our support for this: will GW accept such a complicated campaign-in-a-campaign plot as fluff?
cisse

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »
Indeed.  If they want to go with it that's fine.  I told them I'd present it here, so if it's meet with most people saying they won't support it, then they shouldn't expect it.

not together.

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure not sold on it.
I'm in college!

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
If they could tear the parchment into 4 pieces, why not destroy it all together??

It is kinda a flimsy premise.  I'd say no.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 06:11:09 PM »
If they could tear the parchment into 4 pieces, why not destroy it all together??

It is kinda a flimsy premise.  I'd say no.
Or, even more likely, tear it in 4000 pieces? :roll:
cisse

Offline clausewitz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:15 AM »
Generally I agree with the other posters.

Just to throw some ideas into the mix...

THE FOUR CURSES OF CHAOS

The Nemesis War has begun. From across the Old World and beyond, armies are mustered and despatched, with express orders to seize the Nemesis Crown or prevent it from falling into the hands of their enemies. But despite these assemblies of armed forces, not all are yet aware of the Crown’s existence, or truly appreciate its importance. Nevertheless, there is another much valued treasure hidden within the Great Forest that the Hordes of Chaos are determined to retrieve. As the Realm of Chaos expands, and warriors march forth beneath its shadow, there are those that seek to recover these relics and utilise their power to further the aims of their divine overlords. They search for the Four Curses of Chaos.

The Curses are said to be large monoliths covered in eldrich runes.  Hidden in the darkest groves of the forests and the deepest caves on the hills, the Curses are said to reveal the location of the Book of the Cursemaster.  This evil tome was first created almost one thousand years ago by Salome the Crone, a witch of Chaos in the thrall of an immensely powerful daemon known only as The Cursemaster. The book is said to contain spells of summoning, a means by which The Cursemaster would be able to retain physical form for a short period of time, whilst it strived to achieve its goal of permanent manifestation within the mortal domain. Long ago, Salome and her daemonic patron were thwarted by the intervention of the Witch Hunter Markus Schpitter. Salome was slain before she could complete the summoning, and The Cursemaster foiled; the Book of the Cursemaster was lost to time somewhere in the Old World. But the ancient monoliths are empowered by the will of The Cursemaster, who has spent the last few centuries plotting its revenge. Now, as the warriors of the Dark Gods renew their attack upon the Southern Lands, the Curses ancient hiding places are within reach: the Barren Hills within The Empire. If the Hordes of Chaos can locate the Four Curses of Chaos, then the mightiest sorceror may again attempt the summoning of the dreaded Cursemaster and herald a new age of bloodshed and terror.
I think that has more internal consistancy and avoids over-shadowing the NC campaign.  I also think its better not too be too specific about what happens if they do succed (as is the case in the NC campaign).
In the far north of the Chaos Wastes, gods whisper to champions and sorcerers as they dream, promising glory to those who can retrieve these treasures. Whilst others focus upon the search for the Nemesis Crown, these enlightened warriors gather together, and set out on quests to fulfil the wills of their masters. At their head is the Chaos Lord Abhorakh Solomar, Lead Horseman of the Apocalypse. Guided by the advice of his daemonic patron, Solomar has rallied many like-minded warlords to his cause, and forged a confederacy of tribes together to form the Legion of Oblivion. If the Legion can achieve its aim and recover the Four Curses of Chaos from the Barren Hills, then the Chaos Gods shall come closer to achieving their goal of total world domination…
If this is someones background then ok.  Maybe Solomar and the Legion of Oblivion is their "Helstrom's 4th".  If this is just for this campaign I would change the Horseman of the Apocalypse bit.. seems overly cliqued to me.
I fought in the NC war.. and all I got was this lousy sig...

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:07:51 AM »
Haven't they just replaced the Nemesis Crown with their own made up artifact? In effect, their plot is 'the forces of Chaos go hunting for the Four Curses to usher in a new age of terror and darkness', as opposed to 'the forces of Chaos go hunting for the Nemesis Crown to usher in a new age of terror and darkness'. It's just a name change. If I were a Chaos player, I'd advise to simply search for the Crown like everyone else. The Crown serves as a MacGuffin just as well as do these Four Curses - all a new artifact does is overcomplicate the plot without bringing anything new to the table.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »
Well, this is their one and only fluff objective thus far, and probably will be their only organized one.  If anyone would like to support it they can, but if you don't then no worries.  I think they'll proceed with it no matter what we say.

not together.

Offline Tillmann Spyri

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »
There is a little spin on it though

for this plot, the curses are not the threat (though it's written that way) it's the legue of Oblivion. They are a well organized group, in the heart of the empire, at the time the other tribes of the north are mostly still fleeing after middenhiem. If the Daemon King, The Curesmaster, is summoned, he himself will not do that much. Fight, but no outright doomsday stuff. But News of his existance, and his backing the league, will draw the tribes to their srevice.

A mere 5 years after the last one, another Storm could be comming.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:11:51 PM »
A mere 5 years after the last one, another Storm could be comming.
After the tribes of the north were solidly beaten last time? Seeing as it's been a few years since the last incursion, I reckon even chaos needs time to build up its strength again.
cisse