home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 87562 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »
Just finished AMC's, "Turn" on Netflix. Wow what a great show depicting the spy rings in both the British and Patriots armies during the American Revolution. 
Sounds interesting. I have a fascination with military history. I often get into heated arguments with people as they have misconceptions about famous campaigns and battles [such as the Revolutionary and Civil wars]. Espionage is such an overlooked topic of the periods. I'll have to check it out

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #501 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:24 AM »
Watched Star Trek Discovery - 3 episodes so far. I like it.

Watched Altered Carbon - 1 episode. Not a fan of that type of Sci Fi.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Walt von Ark

• Members
« Reply #502 on: February 07, 2018, 08:36:30 PM »
Watched Altered Carbon - 1 episode. Not a fan of that type of Sci Fi.

Im going to give it a go tonight

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2018, 08:39:42 PM »
Just finished AMC's, "Turn" on Netflix. Wow what a great show depicting the spy rings in both the British and Patriots armies during the American Revolution. 
Sounds interesting. I have a fascination with military history. I often get into heated arguments with people as they have misconceptions about famous campaigns and battles [such as the Revolutionary and Civil wars]. Espionage is such an overlooked topic of the periods. I'll have to check it out

its a great show, it does not go into the battles as it does the espionage acts. What I also liked is how they showed that people were there fighting for many reasons, freedom, unity, profit, and king. anyway check it out. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2018, 09:08:51 PM »
Turn was a really good show. I got a bit tired of some of the British being almost moustache twirling villains but as a loyal Canadian I might be a bit bias. (Plus Simcoe, the main bad guy, was pretty important up in my neck of the woods)

The espionage stuff I thought was all pretty well done, and generally a well made show.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #505 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:14 PM »
Turn was a really good show. I got a bit tired of some of the British being almost moustache twirling villains but as a loyal Canadian I might be a bit bias. (Plus Simcoe, the main bad guy, was pretty important up in my neck of the woods)

The espionage stuff I thought was all pretty well done, and generally a well made show.

Simcoe was a great bad guy and the end was pretty entrusting. I didn't think the Brits were all that way but It did show a bit of arrogance on their part. 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #506 on: February 07, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
Agreed. They needed some good bad guys, and I don't mind a show embellishing a bit to make it interesting. It certainly helps the atmosphere. I also enjoyed seeing Roger's Rangers actually get a mention in a show. I always thought they were an impressive unit.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #507 on: February 07, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Agreed. They needed some good bad guys, and I don't mind a show embellishing a bit to make it interesting. It certainly helps the atmosphere. I also enjoyed seeing Roger's Rangers actually get a mention in a show. I always thought they were an impressive unit.

absolutely. I really loved how it ended and how things turned out
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2018, 10:16:33 PM »
I'll start to GM a Shadowrun campaign soon, so I looked around for something Cyberpunk-y to get in the mood - which led me to Altered Carbon.

I'm currently 4 episodes in and throroughly enjoying it. It looks great, the premise is interesting, the action is good (and suitably ultra violent), I like the cast, and the plot is interesting so far. It also has some very cyberpunk themes.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #509 on: March 31, 2018, 12:13:20 AM »
I'll start to GM a Shadowrun campaign soon, so I looked around for something Cyberpunk-y to get in the mood - which led me to Altered Carbon.

I'm currently 4 episodes in and throroughly enjoying it. It looks great, the premise is interesting, the action is good (and suitably ultra violent), I like the cast, and the plot is interesting so far. It also has some very cyberpunk themes.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it!

Loved Altered Carbon. Can't wait for the next season.

I just finished watching The IT Crowd all the way through for the first time. Shit got weird at the end.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #510 on: March 31, 2018, 12:35:44 AM »
Quote canon: I just finished watching The IT Crowd all the way through for the first time. Shit got weird at the end.

That was a good show. Not sure if I made it all the way for the same reason but it started pretty good.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #511 on: March 31, 2018, 08:16:11 AM »
I never found IT crowd funny at all, which is slightly odd as individually I like the people in it.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #512 on: March 31, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
I'm the same as Finlay. I like just about all the people, I watch them all the time in other stuff, but for some reason IT Crowd just didn't hook me. Maybe I'll try it again and see if it was just a mood thing. I was like that with Parks or Rec for the first season until it got better.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #513 on: April 01, 2018, 05:42:55 AM »
I never found IT crowd funny at all, which is slightly odd as individually I like the people in it.

Same.
But I also work in IT too.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #514 on: April 01, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »

Same.
But I also work in IT too.
I've started watching Gordon Ramsey shows as I work in a hotel and I like laughing at halfwits who don't know how to run a kitchen

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #515 on: April 01, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
Yeah, its not laughing at people who do or dont know IT... its more the characters are not funny and the points they make about IT are not great. Perhaps if I watched it at the time they were made it would have been more amusing, I don’t know.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #516 on: April 01, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
Yes, agreed. The actors are all good and it should be a good show. But apart from a few clever moments and the two boss characters it's not much to write home about.

Anyway, if you want to experience the pinnacle of comedic acting and writing, check out the live action version of "Prison School".
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:37:24 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #517 on: June 24, 2018, 03:37:31 AM »
So watched Fallet on Netflix...reasonably amusing dramedy but is it some sort of Scandinavian inside jokes that Finns are insanely morbid people or something.

Also watched the new Luke Cage, season was one of the better Marvel Netflix series though the one where they throw Danny Rand in really dragged it down (perhaps more the baggage than anything).
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #518 on: June 24, 2018, 07:00:40 AM »
I haven't read this thread in a long time, nor have I watched TV much lately. But I just finished a binge of the first season of True Detective and I loved it. It had its weak points. But it hit a lot of the right literary chords and fringe pop-culture spots for me.

I've been warned against watching the second season by multiple people whose opinions I respect quite a bit. And the internets. Thats a shame.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #519 on: June 24, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »
I've been warned against watching the second season by multiple people whose opinions I respect quite a bit. And the internets. Thats a shame.

I've watched both and like both, I get the dislike since the two seasons are not the same crime show and the first is done way better. Now if you look at the second a 'heist gone wrong' sort,  I think it works out.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2018, 06:07:42 PM »
Sleepy Hollow on Hulu ( sort of tongue  and check)  but im really getting into it....
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #521 on: June 30, 2018, 05:48:21 AM »
GLOW season 2. Watched the first three episodes already

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2018, 03:15:48 AM »
Anyone seen "Sacred Games" on Netflix? Looks interesting.

A disillusioned cop gets a random call from a crime lord that's been missing for 16 years and told to save the city in 25 days.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80115328
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #523 on: August 16, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »
Nothing actually at the moment.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #524 on: August 31, 2018, 02:32:07 AM »
I am enjoying Disenchanted on Netflix at the moment.