home

Author Topic: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return  (Read 18362 times)

Offline spite

• Members
Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Note: I'm also posting this on Bugmans Brewery and TWF, so will be copy/pasting each update here and there and everywhere ;).

After sometime of not doing much with the many miniatures that I have (My last Army being my High Elves right up until the death of 8th Edition), I had the inkling to dive back in, so instead of painting the miniatures I have I've of course gone and started a new army, the Dwarfs!

Many years ago I had a Dwarf Army which I sold, some of my favourite Miniatures are in the old Dwarf Range from 6th Edition, the Dwarf Warrior box which made up Crossbows/Great Weapons and Hand Weapon + Shield was what I really wanted, since I find the new Warriors fairly ugly.

I managed to source 3 Boxes of the old Warriors, most of all on the Sprues which was a big bonus as I didn't fancy tearing apart built up Warriors and removing paint from them. Next was the Colour scheme, previously in the Dwarf army I had donkeys ago it was Blue and White and I wanted to bring it back.

The only thing I haven't decided on is the Static Grass/Moss on the Bases, I am looking suggestions on this, if anyone has any advice.

Here's the results of the first 10, armed with Great Weapons and Shields: (Apologies for the size of the Photos and the crappyness of them, I tried to cut them down didn't work)

NOTE: Due to Photobucket being a bunch of a cockwombles, the images I previously had up have now been removed, I've retaken the Gyrocopter, Mordheim Treasure Hunter and Lord with Axe but you can see the full Unit of 20 Warriors in a later post.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:26:18 PM by spite »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Dwarfs Return - Spites Painting Blog
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 04:22:49 AM »
I like the blue you have used. Not as common on dwarves as you would think.

I look forward to seeing more!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:09:05 AM »
Thanks Warlord, the Blue is:

Base - Kantor Blue
Highlight - Aloitoc Blue
Highlight - Calgar Blue

On larger areas I usually add a wash in of Drakenhof Nightshade but for these there wasn't much point.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »
Well they look nice though I've never been keen on any of the GW Dwarf plastics. You did use most of the best heads for the front rank, they spectacled helm is the best of that lot two braids is second.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
I like them... but I miss something. My general impression is that they are too dark, and their base too simple.
I understand yours dwarves are indide a Karak, not outdoors. So, the base is correct, but try to think in some elements tu put some kind of colour contrast there. For example a fissure, some mushrooms, moss, bones or weapons... Another possibility could be adding a filler.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
@S.O.F

The spectacled Helm is definitely my fave head as well, the main thing I did that I've never done previously with Heads is that I made sure to mix up the colours of the Beards and Hair, often I'm super lazy and everyone has the same brown/black hair but I wanted to spend a bit more time making them nicer.

@Rogers Kul

I see your point about how dark they are and having very little contrast, I will be adding a few unit fillers it's just trying to find something suitable (Any suggestions model wise or links etc. please send them my way). I like the idea of a Mushroom, the Red and White would contrast very well. If I add a yellowish dead grass to the base, that would also help with the contrast, it's just i haven't found any I like.

I think the Darkness might also be symptomatic of my painting too, the grittier the better!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:03:30 AM by spite »

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
Update:

So after completing the first batch of Warriors, I moved onto one of my favorite models ever in the Dwarf Range - The Gyrocopter, specifically the latest edition Gyrocopter. My plan is to do 2 of the Gyrocopters and 1 of the Gyrobombers for a small Air Cav force, the model itself was quite fun to paint but as you might notice I botched the assembly of the Blades and had to fudge it to get it to sit properly, maybe it's just me being a wally but I couldn't find anywhere online about the blades being an issue.

So here it is, the Gyrocopter:

In my next update I'll likely add a Dwarf Character into the mix.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:27:43 PM by spite »

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
Update:

To break up the pace of painting Warriors, I moved onto a model I've for quite some time but never painted, it's a fantastic model (among the many in the Mordheim range) it being the Dwarf Treasure Hunter. The Lamp was quite fun to paint, I saw it more of a lava lamp or some kind of Magic that keeps it going all the time at least that was my excuse that it looks like a Fruit Pastille lollipop.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:28:15 PM by spite »

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:53 PM »
Update:

I work from home 2 days a week so on those days I can easily paint in my lunch and straight after work, I finished this guy in 1 Day as of course it was a simple paint job, I didn't know really how to tie him into my army but I sneaked some blue in. It was one of the miniatures I had to have as he was the cornerstone of my previous army.

I'm still working on 40+ Warriors, the cleaning of the weapons and heads is taking some time, however I managed to pick up an Anvil of Doom from Ebay which was still sealed which is nice so likely while the grind continues I will give that a paint to ensure the dullness.

As ever any comments you have, critique or advice is more than welcome.

P.S If anyone has any idea how to shrink Photos on Photobucket or anywhere else that would be handy. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:28:57 PM by spite »

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »
love it  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 03:37:07 AM »
nice project, the blue-white works really well.  Good job on the lord (that model is on my 'want' list). although...I don't quite understand the face/mask. you painted it as if the mustache and eyebrows are real as opposed to part of the mask? that is one hard core 'stache then!
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
@Naitsabes

I had assumed that it was sections that were open to let them through, I don't know about having a Mask with the Beard and Moustache that are moulded like it? Definitely adds a bit more contrast to the face anyhow as it's just Silver mostly.

The Lord is easily attainable, I think I picked it up off Ebay for a Tenner.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
Update:

So I'm still trudging along trying to get these Warriors assembled, so I decided to break up the pace with some character painting. I managed to get this guy done in one evening, I'm fairly happy with the results, the Red Gems are a bit too bright for my liking, I might change that at some point. Another classic model of the Dwarf Range, the Runesmith was another must for the army.

To make this update a little different, I took WIP Progress pics throughout and made sure to remember what I painted it with. Here goes:

Stage 1 - Base Colours (Over Black Undercoat)

Hammer Head, Rune Staff, Rune Medallions, Helmet - Leadbelcher
Cloth/Robe - Kantor Blue
Bags, Book, Skin, Gloves - Rhinox Hide
Beard and Base - Eshin Grey

Stage 2 - Highlights

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Balthasar Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue
Bags, Book - Mournfang Brown
Skin - Mix of Cadian Fleshtone/Rhinox Hide (2:1)
Gloves - Mix of Mephiston Red/Rhinox Hide (2:1)
Beard and Base - Dawnstone

Stage 3 - Wash

I didn't take any pictures of straight after the Wash but here's what I did anyhow.

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Aggrax Earthshade
Cloth/Robe - Drakenhof Nightshade
Bags, Book - Aggrax Earthshade
Skin - Aggrax Earthshade
Gloves - Aggrax Earthshade
Beard and Base - Nuln Oil

Stage 4 and 5 - Final Highlights and Touches/Smalls Parts

Rune Staff, Rune Medallions - Gehennas Gold
Cloth/Robe - Alaitoc Blue, (2nd HL) Calgar Blue, (Final HL) Ceramite White
Bags, Book - Skraag Brown
Book Rope - Karak Stone, (2nd HL) Screaming Skull
Skin - Cadian Fleshtone
Gloves - Mephiston Red, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet
Gems/Rubys - Mephiston Red, Aggrax Earthshade Wash, (2nd HL) Evil Sunz Scarlet
Beard and Base - Dawnstone, (2nd HL) Administratum Gray, (Final HL) Ceramite White

Lots of fun to paint, fairly quick to do and keeping the momentum going.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:55 AM »
Lovely work! Only the flying bathtub... :happy:

For the bases, what are you trying to accomplish? A snow covered mountain track, a underground dwarf fortress or a lowland expedition force?
Mine have some small patches of static grass on them, together with some snow. This is an attempt to create a mountain path or mountain hold in the spring.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
Some of the best Dwarfs that I've ever saw. Very cool, rugged look and that blue works perfect on them. :)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
@Novogord, as I said previously I'm still not sure what to do with the bases, having seen the Snow Paint from GW, I'm not sold at all on it, I think it looks quite cack (unless someone can show me otherwise), I was tempted to just go with Yellow Static Grass/Flock but again not found any that I really like. I think my idea with the army was like a Mountain Force that defends the slops and areas surrounding but close enough to keep that dark gravel look.

@Xathrodox86, Thanks! That's a real nice compliment. I've been painting and playing a long long time and only really started painting at a reasonable level in the last year or 2.

More to come soon, I've plenty more Characters to paint, I think this is my awaiting painting list:

40+ Warriors - Mix of Xbows/GWs/HW + Shields
King Alrik and Shieldbearers
Lord with Shield and Hammer
Runelord (New Plastic One)
Belegar
Runesmith
Anvil of Doom

If I'm still doing the Dwarf Warriors, I'll post some of the Warriors of Chaos Characters I also painted recently.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 11:19:45 PM »
Update:

So because the Dwarf Warriors are taking so long to assemble and clean, I took some pictures of some Warriors of Chaos characters I did about a month or 2 ago, where I got back into painting. When 8th was was in its element, I built and painted a Warriors Army with a very bland colour scheme, because I mainly have always been more of a gamer than a painter (Warrior Blog: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=119428) however these models specifically I felt like were very akin to their Chaos Gods and painting them with my bland scheme wasn't going to cut the mustard, so I never got round to them but recently picked up the brush again and went to town. These are also some of the best models out of the range so happy I painted them the way I did.

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Juggernaught:

Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Disc:

Exalted Champion of Slaanesh on Foot:

Exalted Champion of Khorne on Foot:

Not sure why, but the Red on the Khorne Foot Champion appears way brighter in picture than in person. The Champ on Jugger took a lot longer to paint than the rest, I think I did at least 8 or 10 Highlight Layers on the Red (for some reason it doesn't look that way at all!) and the Slaanesh Champions Armour was a real please to paint.

I'll be back with some Dwarfs soon enough, I've made a few more eBay purchases of Miners, Lord with Axe, Bolt Thrower and BSB. So plenty to crack on with!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
Re: The Dwarfs Return - Spites Painting Blog (With WoC Characters)
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
These old Chaos Lords are really cool. They're Archaon's lieutenants from the Storm of Chaos. Ahhh what an event that was... :blush:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:32:50 PM »
Update:

Had a few days break from painting, enjoying some Sniper Elite 4 instead, however to get back into the swing of it I painted a Thane. The model I really like however painting it I didn't enjoy at all, I didn't feel it was my best effort and the paint went on a bit too thick in places.

Dwarf Thane:

I've been on a search for a few Minis, I picked up some over the last week or 2. 10 Miners, Anvil of Doom, Engineer with 2 Pistols and a Than with Axe on Oath Stone. I've never been a fan of the Miners until recently with this Project made me want a unit, looking forward to painting them, same with the Anvil.

Here's a picture of my Painting/Hobby area, my desk has my TV, Monitor and Keyboard on it so there's no room for much of anything else, so I use these stacked up boxes...works well. :)

I'm after some more fine detail brushes, I seem to burn through them very fast, maybe I'm doing something wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

Currently this is my list of stuff to assemble, clean and paint:

Trollslayer (Mordheim Model)
Runelord (Latest Plastic Model)
Runesmith (8th Metal Version)
Thane (Mordheim Treasure Hunter Box)
Belegar Ironhammer
Thane on Oathstone with Axe
Engineer with 2 Pistols

Miners x10
Warriors with Great Weapons and Shields x10
Crossbowmen x15 with Shields
Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields x20

Bolt Thrower (Metal, Latest Edition)

Thanks!

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
Update:

So after getting bogged down with painting Warriors, I've finally completed another 10 (post incoming soon enough) but I realized I hadn't painted enough Shields so once the last 2 are done I'll do another update. However I also painted a Runesmith in the meantime.

A mistake I made with this batch of Warriors and the Runesmith was that I put too much black spray on and it came out a bit too heavy as such parts of the beard/face/armour and wrist band don't look as good. Overall I'm still happy with the model just I need to be more vigilant with spraying from now on.

Here he is:

So after doing some research, it turns out I take really poor care of my Brushes so first thing I'll be doing after the Bank Holiday is over is ordering some Brush Cleaner and some Winsor Newton Series 7 Brushes.

So far on my pickups I got myself the Limited Edition BSB which I was umming and ahhhing over (the model I'm not super keen on) he'll be a nice addition to the rest of the army. I've also been picking up random odds for Brets and Tomb Kings as likely they are my next Projects.

Currently this is my list of stuff to assemble, clean and paint:

Trollslayer (Mordheim Model)
Runelord (Latest Plastic Model)
Runesmith (8th Metal Version)
Thane (Mordheim Treasure Hunter Box)
Belegar Ironhammer
Thane on Oathstone with Axe
Engineer with 2 Pistols

Miners x10
Crossbowmen x15 with Shields
Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields x20

Bolt Thrower + 3 Crew

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
The Runesmith and thane look great 👍 I like that dark mix.

Edit: ha ! Ha! Thanks Mids!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:55:37 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
"The Tunesmith"

I like that - a new name for a musician   :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
Update:

As I said in my previous update, I finished 10 more Great Weapon Warriors, so here they are! Definitely took my longer than my first batch, I just wasn't as motivated to get them finished especially with another 30+ that need doing. Again the mistake I made like with the Runesmith was the Spray going on too heavy and I also went a bit mad with the Brown Ink on the flesh causing it too pool on the faces of this batch, for the next batch I'm definitely going to slow down a bit to make the quality better.

Dwarf Warriors with Great Weapons and Shields inc. Standard Bearer and "Tunesmith":

Whole Unit (20):

Very happy overall how the unit turned out, there's plenty more to get done however, I'll also be getting to use the unit for the first time as I'll be having my first game of 8th Edition for some time in a few weeks, since we haven't played in so long, me and my mate will be doing huge game of most of our Models, so I'll be doing a combined force of my High Elves and the small Dwarf force I have.

I do need to get some Movement Trays and magnetize the Dwarfs, hopefully I'll have time to get a Bolt Thrower done before the game in 2 weeks. I'll definitely be taking some pictures of the game for sure.

Enjoy!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 10:10:46 PM »
Lovely looking unit, the colours look great en masse like that  :::cheers:::

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Impressive looking fellas. That color scheme really works for me. Grim, cold and dark - just like the Dawi should be. :blush:

Gneisenau