home

Author Topic: Ultimate Grimdark Concepts?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Ultimate Grimdark Concepts?
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »
Games Workshop's worlds of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40'000 have long since had a reputation for sheer utter cruelty, mind-boggling malice and harshness built into the worlds themselves. Small wonder, given how both are based on real human history, and how they are both inspired by heavy metal rock album covers, Dune and so on, refined by various learned minds and talented hands, not least John Blanche with his distinctive style. Age of Sigmar started out with a hopeful note in the background story, yet grim darkness seems to be on the rise there as well at the moment.

A harsh world of conflicts and unforgiving hatred makes for a great backdrop scene for stories to play out on, allbeit when taken overboard it also limits the stories that can be told by shutting out subtleties with barriers of bottomless animosity (e.g. the watertight barriers between uncorrupted Dwarfs and Chaos Dwarfs in WHFB which makes any interaction other than violence most unlikely).

Loved and loathed, whether hailed as exquisite narrative settings or exaggerated to the point of "grimderp", the grimdark is a strong feature of Warhammer settings' backstories.

Do you have any favourite concepts of grimdark? It could be moments of stories or bizarre artwork or models, and they certainly need not be from Games Workshop settings. If pictures are involved, then please share! :)

What made me post this was my brother coming up with a 40k-ish RPG character idea yesterday, of a cyborg who had died in his robotic harness, yet whose exoskeleton steams on with dead weight strapped inside it. That jokingly-intended zomborg must come close to the top of most grimdark concepts I've ever stumbled across. In official background, the Daemonforged Hellcannon with ammunition of mortal souls ranks in the very top, and that concept continues to inspire many Chaos Dwarf stories to this very day (it's got fantastic and inspiring narrative reverberations).

And likewise for 40k with its Golden Age of Technology human civilization's most advanced and psyker-tolerating worlds being the most ripe targets for Daemonic forces through Psykers, while only superstitiously backward and witch-hunting colonies survived: The grim darkness is written into the very structure of that universe.

As to artwork, these two pieces spring to mind, among a host of others:

And a random Blanche artwork, because mention of grimdark wouldn't be complete without his lifework of art:

And outside GW, an honourable mention goes to Disciples of Lughar in the Ninth Age, i.e. Daemonically possessed Infernal Dwarf berzerkers on fire, here illustrated as a K'daai Cultist with glowing runes carved into his flesh, by Helblindi. Lovely over-the-top grimdark idea and visual:

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:51:39 PM by Karak Norn Clansman »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Ultimate Grimdark Concepts?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:52:32 PM »
I love those pictures. The hell cannon picture is one I remembered for years, that always really symbolized the chaos armies sweeping down from the north to me.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:39:57 AM »
That Hell Cannon picture is superb. It was also featuered in Old World's Bestiary for WFRP 2nd edition, in the Chaos Dwarfs section.

Generally speaking, the golden days of grimdark in WFB (that was not over the top) were those of the 6th edition. Later GW really overdid the whole shtick and it simply became silly.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
Couple more that I've always liked:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
Your second picture, and both those pictures Aldaris posted are some of my favourites. Actual Chaos stuff is too much for me.

What made me post this was my brother coming up with a 40k-ish RPG character idea yesterday, of a cyborg who had died in his robotic harness, yet whose exoskeleton steams on with dead weight strapped inside it. That jokingly-intended zomborg must come close to the top of most grimdark concepts I've ever stumbled across.

I was watching the 2014 versionof Robocop today, and I had the same idea crop into my head too. Weird!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »
Mordenhiem Art was very cool
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »
More fantastic pictures. The old Empire one's really help build the spirit of the setting.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:04:37 PM »
More fantastic pictures. The old Empire one's really help build the spirit of the setting.

:::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 02:15:52 AM »
Some artwork suggests that there isn't much difference between Holy Terra and Kommoragh :Ohmy: