home

Author Topic: Ostermark - A Turnips' attempt - Captain painted + Demigryphs awaiting the can!  (Read 23418 times)

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
Hey all,

I started this army around a year ago and have slowly been building it up with a 2500 point list in mind that's filled with a lot of fluff and should be quite fun while still being fairly competitive. Eventually I hope to have around 3500 points from which to choose an army with the option of running both a full infantry and full cavalry army at around 2000 points. This log is to help motivate me into getting on with it :) I have a project log already up and running over on heresy-online so if any of you frequent that site you may have already seen most of this ;)

First up; My BSB Captain

I used the captain with hammer and pistol as the base, cut off both weapons and attached the hammer where the pistol originally was. I then made a banner out of green stuff and re-angled the arm so the banner pole would just about touch the ground.

Troops number one: The Blackwater Regiment - Spearmen

10 done including the command group so far, another 40 to go before I'm happy with them
Unbased:

Finished with BSB in their midsts

Blackwater Regiment fluff:

A renown regiment named after Black Water lake high in the World Edge Mountains where, aiding their Dwarvern allies, they held back a wave after wave of green skins despite overwhelming odds. Outnumbered by the barbaric orcs they held the line for an entire day never taking a step back and, helped by the single-minded ferocity of the warrior priest Eckhardt Augenstein, slaughtered hundreds of the onrushing savages. Their bravery and mettle allowed the dwarf Runesmith Krazek Groth time to muster a devastating counter charge deep into the flanks of the green horde and break the spine of the orc army. With his remaining troops fleeing the field the orc warlord and his bodyguard of huge black orcs were cut down by the combined might of the Blackwater Regiment and Krazek Groth's Hammerer's temporarily ending the threat of a green skin invasion of the empire.

Nowadays the regiment is one of the few kept at full numbers and recruits are proud to be inducted into their ranks. They are known for holding their ground even in the direst circumstances and are usually found at the forefront of the fighting anchoring the battle lines. They are also regularly joined in battle by the descendants of the Augenstein blood line, the current warrior priest is Eckhardt Augenstein IV.

Troops number two: Remer Light Infantry Irregulars Mercenary band of renown and MMCDXXVI Regional Croquet Champions, also known as the Remer Ex-Pirate Militia.

These guys are in the process of being made, I have 10 completed and 10 sat next to me at the moment with green stuff drying all over them ;)

Each member has his own fluff (of the first 10 anyway) mostly because I'm planning on using them in a friends Mordheim campaign when I get chance.

Militia fluff:

Bechafen is home to a river trading port and of the few safe havens for pirates along the Talabec. It's not that piracy isn't against the laws of the land or frowned upon by the majority of the Empires citizens, it's because Bechafen is corrupt to the core. Dirty tricks and underhanded trading are everyday life in Bechafen. Merchants employ pirates to steal their own shipments giving them a cut of the spoils while keeping the gold that was marked for payment. Bechafen is a cutthroat town and only the lowest of the low survive long but those that do have very lucrative enterprises underway.

There are those, however, that fail. Either being muscled out of business, being double-crossed or just by ending up face down in the river. A few of Bechafen's failures do slip through the proverbial cracks though and most of those end up taking in with the Remer Light Infantry Irregulars Mercenary band of renown and MMCDXXVI Regional Croquet Champions, also known as the Remer Militia.

A small port town located on the banks of the Lower Talabec, Remer is a haven for those whose sea legs have deserted them and who only want to drown their sorrows in the local tavern, the Salty Giblet,  and get into the occasional fight. After banding together the old sea dogs formed a bond of brotherhood the likes of which could never be broken, except when gold, gambling or 'giving someone a funny look' is involved. The crew pay their way through being drafted into the Ostermark army as mercenaries but when there are periods of peace, they take on work aboard merchant vessels protecting them from the pirates they once had ambitions of being.

Most of the crew have afflictions that put an end to their serious pirating days and each have their own story to lament over in their tavern. They are, at least, mostly still alive. Although this isn't through want of trying on the Elector Count's part. Keeping them on the payroll is a waste in his opinion and every battle he throws them into the fiercest fighting or the hopeless flank attack and each battle they somehow defy the odds and pull through. After every campaign the crew return to their rooms at the Salty Giblet with a new set of stories an fewer limbs between them but they wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:49:55 PM by Turnip86 »

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
Re: State Army of Ostermark - A Turnips' attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
Part 2 of the first post!

Special Units up next starting with:

Pistoliers/Outriders

Long story short - I got these as a birthday present last year, completely unasked for and it pretty much set me on the path to building an empire army. I liked both options from the kit so build them in a way that I can use both. Eventually I plan on magnetising all the components but for now I use white tack which is just as good ;)

Outriders:

Pistoliers:

And Outriders after they were properly based:

Next up: Great Cannon

And finally rare unit and my latest addition: Helstorm Rocket Battery

Herman Delle - Master of Ballistics

Herman had the honour of working with Balthasar Gelt when he was training at the Nuln gunnery school. Gelt was working on improved gunpowder mixtures using his alchemical and magic skills. One such experiment saw a Helblaster some of his experimental gunpowder was loaded in backfire catastrophically. The powder has been crushed too fine and when the fuse was lit a great jet of liquid fire spurted out of the back and onto the left side of Herman's face and body. The Helblaster then exploded, obliterating everything within 100 yards. When the smoke cleared only the Engineers, Delle and Gelt were left after the latter used his potent magery to shield the helpless crew from certain destruction.
Known as "Two-Face" behind his back, Delle has something of a deathwish after the psychological trauma of his disfigurement and takes command of the most experimental and destructive war machines hoping that one will eventually finish him off.

Well, that's all of my finished stuff for now.

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
And onto the upcoming stuff!

So next on my list is the second lot of 10 militia. A short explanation of what they're all about:

Basically I had the idea about 8 years ago (just before I dropped out of the hobby until my return last year) to expand my then current VC army with zombie pirates! I made 40 of the buggers using a box of militia and a box of zombies mixed with a lot of other extra parts thrown in as well. 8 years on and I no longer have a VC army but I do have an empire army so I'm in the process of un-zombifying my zombie pirates for use in my militia.

Here are some WIP pics of the second lot:

And here are their bases:

I make these with a 'stamp' i made a few months back:

It works surprisingly well and I'm happy with the rugged look I get on the flagstones from using the stamp over just scoring a pattern with a knife or tool.

Another WIP is my Lore of Metal wizard. He's been on the go since January and I can never get the cloak to a point where I'm happy with it. My sculpting needs improvement:

He was originally a Mantic ghoul but the pose was perfect for what I wanted. I just need to get him finished!

I also have a mortar on the go. I found a mortar barrel in my bits box last year when I was home even though at that point I'd never bought an empire cannon kit in my life so really I have no idea how it got there, it's amazing what you find in your bits box. I went about building a carriage for it, I'm aiming for something like a Napoleonic era mortar that didn't have wheels but would be carried to the emplacement. This is something that I've neglected finishing even though I have all the parts, I think it may be better to anchor it to a base before I try much more though:

My 'to buy' list at the moment is pretty much a warrior priest, another box of state troops, a box of demigryphs and a box of perry miniatures wars of the roses infantry which will be used to make all of my detachments (halberdiers and lots and lots of archers)

Anyway, enough rambling. Hope you enjoy the start of my log, feel free to comment and make suggestions on improvement (of which one will definitely be 'take better photo's' :D )

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:50 AM »
Very very very very very nice work!, I like the thought that has gone into this, and you show a great deal of skill a well. I can't wait to see more.

Also, welcome to the Forum :P
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 03:00:26 AM »
Looks great, glad to see another Ostermark army.

Are you going to use any yellow? Maybe as a "spot" colour?

un-zombifying

un-zombifying??

De-zombifying??

Ex-zombifying??

lol  :icon_wink:
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »
Very very very very very nice work!, I like the thought that has gone into this, and you show a great deal of skill a well. I can't wait to see more.

Also, welcome to the Forum :P

Looks great, glad to see another Ostermark army.

Are you going to use any yellow? Maybe as a "spot" colour?

un-zombifying

un-zombifying??

De-zombifying??

Ex-zombifying??

lol  :icon_wink:

Thanks guys :)

Yellow will be coming, to start with I preferred just the White and Purple but yellow is growing on me (arrrgh, get it off, get it off) and I've decided my halberds detachments will all have yellow feathers while still staying white and purple on the uniforms to tie them with the parent unit. If (big if) I ever get a unit of greatswords they will be yellow/purple with white trim as will any detachments for them.

Also I also have most of the fluff written for a chapter of knights and yellow will feature on them too, that includes both horsie knights and chicken knights :)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:21 PM »
Loving some of the simple swaps you have done on the militia!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ColonialRaptor

• Members
    • www.facebook.com/DavidColwellMP
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:40 AM »
Conversions aplenty! Green stuff master!

Love your work, keep it up.
Find my Ongoing Workbook Here

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 03:33:25 AM »
Sounds good, *waits for more pics*

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
Loving some of the simple swaps you have done on the militia!

Conversions aplenty! Green stuff master!

Love your work, keep it up.

Cheers for the kind words. I'm far from a master though, still learning and I have a lot to learn. I could also do with investing in some proper tools, all of the sculpting is done with my penknife ;)

Sounds good, *waits for more pics*

Probably not the pictures you're waiting for but I decided to take some better pics of the spearmen and a couple of the pistoliers because from the previous pics it was really hard to see them.

I'd like to go back to the spearmen at some point and tidy them up, the shading isn't brilliant on the purple and there's a few details I skipped in getting them done.

Without flash

With Flash (ahhhhahhhhhhhh)

Pistolier

Outrider

On a slightly empire log related note, 2 things have happened in the last couple of days that are both good and both affect my project. 1st is that I had a look in a toy shop literally 2 minutes walk away because I noticed they sell airfix models and discovered they stock Vallejo paints - win! And secondly I got a new teaching job in a language school that happens to be in the same area as the only GW stockist in the city which gives me a perfectly good excuse to go there - more win! So I should be investing in more state troops soon as I'd really like to be able to have a legal army I can try and get a game with at 1000 points minimum.

Over the weekend I'll be trying to find the time to get some work done on the militia. Trousers, chain mail and kilts all need sculpting and I could probably do with finding some more spare arms to kit-bash onto them :)

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
Resurrecting from the dead!

So, time for an update and I have some questions to put to your good selves which will help me determine the way I proceed with my knights.

What I've been working on:

Militia! I got to a point where I was happy with the sculpting on the chainmail and the kilt so primed them and have started painting. So far they've had the base colours put down on them and now I'll be starting with washes and highlighting. I invested in a few new paints which should mean I'll have to mix less and therefore save a bit of time (and paint ;) )

So, pictures! Here they are primed and ready to be painted.

And with the base colours down on them:

So that's it for now on painting progress, I know, I know, it's not much since my last update but it's the start of the teaching year and I've been pretty busy over the last few weeks.

Now for some background on my order of knights. I've put off posting this mostly because I wanted to get some painted before I did but I think I need help choosing their final colour scheme. The fluff:

The Knights Harlequin.

Harlequin Forest lies to the east of the ruins of Mordheim and countless abominations lie within. The name comes from one particular folk tale of the mysterious Harlequin. It's said that it dwells in the darkness of the trees and leads lone travellers astray deep into the forest, dazzling them with it's sublime acrobatics before turning on the helpless wanderer. The Harlequin, it's said, revels in the chase and toys with its prey mercilessly only ending the life of the poor traveller when it's thirst for amusement is sated. Occasionally someone claiming to have survived the ordeal of meeting the Harlequin stumbles out of the forest, clothes ragged and a madness behind their eyes. Some say death would be more merciful but maybe it's all part of the Harlequin's sick joke.

The Knights Harlequin were formed to protect the Empire's citizens against the horrors that lurk in the forest. More than just the Harlequin inhabit the forest and the taint of Mordheim is rife. The knights make it their mission to slay as many of the abominations as they can and never refuse the call of a citizen in need. They diligently investigate rumours of evil things lurking, knowing full well that whatever the rumour is, the reality is usually much much worse. To further protect the Empire the Knights Harlequin utilize demigryphs and field several of the beasts ridden by the most battle-hardened knights in most engagements. These engagements range from the slaying of a mutated beast that has rampaged through a farmstead to marching to war with the state armies of the Empire.

So, what do you think? Good fluff? Bad fluff? Belly-button fluff?

The colour scheme will the typical harlequin diamonds, this will be on the horses barding, demigryph barding, shields and the banner. The problem I have is the colours. There will definitely be Purple and White. Those are the main colours of my army and I'd also like to incorporate yellow, the problem I have is the 4th colour. I'm currently leaning towards green as it ties in with the forest part of the background. Here's a picture of what I'm thinking:

Because it's on paper the paint comes through darker than it really is so the green and purple are actually more vibrant than they appear. I'm not keen on that shade of yellow, I think something less orangy would look better but I really just want some extra opinions to help me decide :)

Any replies would be much appreciated :D

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:10 AM »
Hmmmmm Purple and white with a yellow border/slash maybe?

Just seems too busy for me, but hey its your army.. To me the Purple and white is very clean cut(IMHO, which is why my more elite units are that colour)using all those colours defeats that "crispness"?
Have a look at Heraldry stuff and you will see what i mean  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 02:30:40 AM by Gorgash Redfang »

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
They're supposed to be busy, the scheme is based on harlequins :P I didn't really express that completely in the last post :)

Think of 40k eldar harlequins or something along the lines of:

Basically I'm looking for a colour that complements the yellow but doesn't look awful with purple. To be honest I've considered black but it seems a bit boring and then I have all 4 of the most difficult colours to highlight in one scheme  :unsure:

To offset the fact the scheme is busy I might have the armour of my knights black, I think it could even things out but that leaves my choice of black in the 4 'harlequin' colours a bad one. Which leads me back to green!

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »
The problem with finding a complimentary color to Yellow and Purple is that they're both dead across each other on the color wheel. Blue/green in my opinion clashes too much with the purple, but red or orange may work with both. It's been a long tine since I worked with actual color theory, but I imagine i would use red, as red and yellow would then both be a primary color, with purple being the sole secondary. that way the busy scheme can still be simpler than with multiple secondary colors. (I know what I'm trying to say, but it's not coming across well.)

Basically, the more complex the color scheme, the more simple you would want the individual colors.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
well in that case Orange and light blue... All across from each other

Offline Not-not-kenny

• Members
  • Call me: 22079460347
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 06:59:15 PM »
Lore of metal... oh you.

Also, I just love Two-Face, great job on the army.
"Nothing happens contradictory to nature, only contradictory to what we know of it."

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 10:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback :)

You got me thinking with that colour wheel. My human blood bowl team is purple and light blue and it actually works quite well so I think I might go with that, plus light blue doesn't clash horrifically with yellow which is also a plus :)

I recently got some knights through a trade and I'll have them by the end of the month when my parents come and visit (the guy wouldn't send internationally so had to get them sent to my parents :P ) so I'll be able to try out the colour scheme fairly soon.

The armour I'm definitely leaning towards black. I really want to improve my painting so why not get some practice on highlighting one of the most difficult colours ;)

So my painting timetable is looking like:
Start of October: Finish militia
End of October/November: Knights
December: More pistoliers (came as part of the trade)

Once I have the knights all I need is a non-BSB character and I'll be able to field at least 1000 points.

Now all I need is someone to play against in Poland  :closed-eyes:

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
While painting up my militia I decided to try out the knights' colour scheme on a shield I'd equipped one of them with.

Let me know what you think, it's a pretty rough draft of what it should end up being and I need to tidy up the lines and make them straighter but overall I'm fairly happy with the results :)

A whole unit of knights will take time - this took me about 10 minutes but I wasn't too bothered with keeping things in line, the diamonds the same size etc and I have 16 knights winging their way to me from the UK so I'll be busy for a while with them :)

Edit: I've also finally started magnetising my pistoliers/outriders! 2 done so far but it's slow going without any kind of drill! Making holes with my penknife and using files to widen them inside :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:22:13 PM by Turnip86 »

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 01:24:57 AM »
That light blue is working for me(takes full credit for the colour :icon_cool:)and your highlighting is perfect  :eusa_clap:

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:56 AM »
That light blue is working for me(takes full credit for the colour :icon_cool:)and your highlighting is perfect  :eusa_clap:

You're welcome to take credit  :::cheers::: For some reason I hadn't thought of checking a colour wheel earlier :)

All I need now is an idea of how to mark the lines of the diamonds before I add colour. On the shield I used a brush and thinned down white paint to mark the outlines but as you can see the results are a bit on the rough side and the barding on the knights is all concave and stuff making it harder to get the lines uniform. Any suggestions?  :smile2:

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
Undercoat the shields with white and drawn on lines with a pencil. That's what I do for shields and flags.

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Undercoat the shields with white and drawn on lines with a pencil. That's what I do for shields and flags.

Cheers, I might just do that. Although I'm pretty sure it'd work on a black undercoat too with some soft artist pencils.

Between work and err... work I'm not getting much painting done at the moment but any free time I do have between lessons I end up spending online trawling through eBay or various forum trade threads looking for useful stuff so that when I do have more time I actually have things to paint.

So apart from a unit of knights (I have about 25 on the way from various people) and some more pistoliers (part of one of the deals) I've also invested in a few things for my Tyranids and also a nice new champion for my militia (pics when he's painted, don't want to ruin the surprise ;) )

I've also come across a few jester/harlequin figures which I'm considering buying and painting up more for an easter egg background thing than to actually be used in the army although it's tempting to use one as a unit filler. This one's from Vesper-On games, I'd build up a tree stump around that pole to make it fit the theme and probably green stuff a jester hat but other than that it's probably the best one I've found. The others look too mortal if you know what I mean where as this could be something more sinister than just a person dressed up in a costume

Others I looked at included:

Which is a great model but too human for what i want - Maybe a mascot

I've also looked at some reaper miniatures and found some pretty awesome pirates (one of which is the militia champion now - I wonder if anyone will guess which?) and my wallet is being sorely tempted by them. Place bets on how long I hold out!

Anyway, I will eventually paint the militia and update properly rather than just stalling  :happy:

Ideas on more miniatures that could fit in as a harlequin are welcome as is general feedback.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »
If you are looking for cool piratical types http://www.trolltrader.co.uk/ron--bones-19-c.asp
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Turnip86

• Members
  • Ponglish
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
Some of those could fit well in the militia, cheers. That's even more money I need to find ;)

Another quick question. I got this model as part of a trade, to be honest I didn't think it would be included but the guy chucked it in anyway. I'm looking for an ID on it, I'm fairly certain it's a Grand Master but anyone know of which order? Or is it kit-bashed? I googled it quickly but maybe I'm looking for the wrong keywords, I've found similarly posed Grand Master models of both panther and white wolf but this looks a bit like a combination of the two.

All help appreciated.

Also, blog update - I've got a unit of 13 Knights to paint up now as well as the very final touches on the militia. Once the knights are done, all I need is some kind of non-standard-wielding hero or lord and I have a legal army! Now to get the knights painted which might be painful with my chosen colour scheme but hopefully they'll look good at the end :)

EDIT: Nevermind - just noticed the big 'U' on the axe (I'm also going by pics as these are at my parents house and I haven't seen them in person yet) and found out it's a warrior priest of ulric. Sorted!

Cheers to anyone that might have been about to reply!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:05:05 PM by Turnip86 »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Edit: just beaten by the Turnip himself.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)