home

Author Topic: "counts as" halberds?  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Toeterboy

• Members
"counts as" halberds?
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
Hi,

I know the halberdiers are the go-to choice for infantry. I like the pikeman look a lot more. (Maybe this is because of the biiig pointy sticks are making up for something, I dont know). couldn't find a painted pic so soon, but this is what I like: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/burgord/burg07c.jpg

Now, the question is.... If I cut off the points of those pikes and glued Halberd-tops on them, would they count as Halberds?

/salute,

Toet

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: "counts as" halberds?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
From a realistic point of view, halberds are far shorter than pikes (about 2m versus 3m and more), so you might want to cut off a bit more than just the points.
From a gaming point of view, it depends on whom you are playing with. In friendly games, I would be highly surprised, if anyone objects. In official GW games, conversions are allowed, but only of GW models (which I think these models are not).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 02:04:57 AM »
Hi,

I know the halberdiers are the go-to choice for infantry. I like the pikeman look a lot more. (Maybe this is because of the biiig pointy sticks are making up for something, I dont know). couldn't find a painted pic so soon, but this is what I like: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/burgord/burg07c.jpg

Now, the question is.... If I cut off the points of those pikes and glued Halberd-tops on them, would they count as Halberds?

/salute,

Toet

Dude, do what you want its your hobby ..yes they could count as a halberd  :smile2:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline dugironbeard

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
As said, I love the Count as rule. My army has complete been based on count as. Yes you can't play official tournaments, although I have played club tournaments. In my experience everbody just loves a cool army to play against so if you like the pikes use them! Don't cut them off just tell your opponent. He will remember that they are halbediers.

Take a look at my army and you'll see that count as can be used a lot, see the link in my signature.
Site of the Regiment: http://dugironbeard.wix.com/39th

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »
Take a look at my army and you'll see that count as can be used a lot, see the link in my signature.

Post some pics to the Brush and Palette site too...  :happy:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline dugironbeard

• Members

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »
For me, counts as is alright in small doses (assuming you have a fair idea of what it's intended to be). For an extreme example, I played a guy years ago where nothing in his army was a GW fig, in fact, he used Roman legion and auxiliary models and it was: "Okay, tell me again, was the scorpio the helblaster or was the ballista? So, what'a the onager, is that a cannon or a mortar? What about the cataphracts--those were knights, right? Oh, demigryphs."
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline dugironbeard

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
I think the most important thing is it shouldn't be a surprise during battle. As long as that is clear it shouldn't be a problem I think.

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
For me, counts as is alright in small doses (assuming you have a fair idea of what it's intended to be). For an extreme example, I played a guy years ago where nothing in his army was a GW fig, in fact, he used Roman legion and auxiliary models and it was: "Okay, tell me again, was the scorpio the helblaster or was the ballista? So, what'a the onager, is that a cannon or a mortar? What about the cataphracts--those were knights, right? Oh, demigryphs."

Yeah, I've never been that keen on armies where it's so bizarre you can't really tell what they're supposed to be. I can cope with it though, having once played a game wherein a coke can represented a Dark Eldar Talos.

Mad base sizes I can't stand though. Any Tyranid players here remember when the Doom of Malantai first appeared, and there were people genuinely arguing that it was OK to put it on a Monstrous Creature base? Ugh.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
I don't see a problem, either.  State what it is and make sure that it is okay with your opponent.  I would draw the line at proxying the entire army as well though.  The pikes in the picture look close enough to Halberdiers that it shouldn't be a problem.  Make sure you're careful with those pikes though!  I see them snapping off rather easily!

Offline Ludwig von Blucher

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
I have a heavily themed and converted Vampire Counts army and an Arabian one I use as Dark Elves. I've spent countless hours converting and painting the minis and spent about half an hour each designing little labels to go along with my army. This has what the unit 'counts as'on it and sits next to the unit. Useful when displaying and playing...

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »
I have a heavily themed and converted Vampire Counts army and an Arabian one I use as Dark Elves. I've spent countless hours converting and painting the minis and spent about half an hour each designing little labels to go along with my army. This has what the unit 'counts as'on it and sits next to the unit. Useful when displaying and playing...
Do you have pics?  I'd like to see that.

Offline dugironbeard

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
Really interested as well.