home

Author Topic: PhillyT's 40k Orks - Just added 10 Flask Gitz!  (Read 59213 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: PhillyT's 40k Orks
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
I really like the orange ork color scheme.  it looks more visually appealing then red.  I dont know why.  These are some great models Philly!  :::cheers:::
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: PhillyT's 40k Orks
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
Pictures I have of my ork stuff.  I put it up elsewhere but it is worth putting up here I guess.

Deff Dredd

Guthrak's nobz

Guthrak

Work in progress Stompa:

Da Boss:

Mad Dok

Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: PhillyT's 40k Orks - New Old Pics!
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
Those look really great.

Be sure to bring them when you come to the Bash...
 :engel:

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »
If only!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
MOAR ORANGE PAINT ON DA BOSS!
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
I like the dreadnought especially!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 12:10:46 PM »
He is one of those cases where I loved the model so much I needed to buy it even though I already had one old deff dredd.  I prefer Kans and have 9 of them.  The one deff dredd I have is for when I use a big mek.  Those times I use two meks I field both (they become troop choices).

And Da Boss likes black and red!

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »
I approve of your beard. It is a very good beard.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
It is about three times that long now and my head is shaved, so it is an excellent beard and I look like a cage fighter/biker

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
When switching around channels a couple of nights ago, I hit a show called "bully beatdown", where MMA fighters are hired to humiliate bullies in cage fights.

One of the fighters looked quite like you. Jerry something, I don't know these MMA guys.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 02:03:26 PM »
Not sure who that could be.  They normally get lower tier guys for that show (injury potential) so many are only slightly known.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 05:35:17 PM »
I just picked up some orks in a big trade on BarterTown.  Here is my score:

60 SLugga boyz
30 shootaboyz

40 unassembled boyz
2 unassembled trukks

15 unassembed meganobz

25 Biker boyz
5 unassembled nobz
5 kommandos NIB
1 unassembled deff dredd

1 Stompa

All in all this is leading me towards my goal of having 20,000 points in orks.  My basic load out is:

All of the special characters
7 Nob bikers
3x8 bikers with nobz
5 trukks
3 battle wagons
20 mega nobz
10 Flash Gitz
30 nobz
36 bikers
20 stormboyz
225 boyz of various types
3 deff dredds
9 Killa Kans
5 buggies
5 Stompas
2 looted wagons
16 burna boyz
16 Loota boyz
All of the character models
10 tankbustas
10 kommandos
20 gretchin

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
my goal of having 20,000 points in orks.

You know, there isn't the same social stigma there used to be associated with psychotherapy. If you feel you need help . . . :)

In all seriousness, that sounds pretty awesome. And crazy. And crazy-awesome.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
Hey Philly,

Obviously you play orks quite a bit, im guessing from the huge volume of models you list.  I would like your opinion on a couple of units in the book :)

Weirdboys. Are they worth a HQ slot?  Can they compete with Big meks?  Having read the book, they certainly appeal to me, but I don't have an Ork army, but my friend does.

Flash Gits:  Are they worth the huge investment?  If so, should you get all 3 upgrades or just pick one?

Kans:  Given these have better bs than most of your army.  What would you arm them with?  Rokkits?  Grotzookas?
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
Weirdboys. Are they worth a HQ slot?  Can they compete with Big meks?  Having read the book, they certainly appeal to me, but I don't have an Ork army, but my friend does.

I really can't ever justify it.  The cannot compete with Big Meks with Kustom Force Fields, but they are probably better than the shokk attak gun.  The thing that is good about the Meks is they let you move those Deff Dredds to troop slots.  Weirdboyz are very good in their own way but they are too inconsistant for most games.

Flash Gits:  Are they worth the huge investment?  If so, should you get all 3 upgrades or just pick one?

I think they are certainly worth the points.  Keep in mind that with a pain boy and cybork, they are about as good as vanilla nobz in combat and super durable.  Their guns are just awesome for anti-troop.  Take all three ammo runts for maximum power.  Take all of the upgrades other than the +1 strength and they are great.  The strength is good if you think you will be facing marines.  Their biggest issue is they cannot take a dedicated transport and they eat a heavy slot which is not something you can afford.  If they could take a dedicated battlewagon they would be in every army!  But spending a slot on them then a wagon would mean only a single heavy would be left.

Kans:  Given these have better bs than most of your army.  What would you arm them with?  Rokkits?  Grotzookas?

I arm them with rokkits mostly since I play a hundred shoota boyz at least.  Grootzookas are great too though and really good for anti-troop.  But in an army severly lacking in S8 shooting, they really need to be armed with those rokkits!  In a pinch, if I think I am playing a lot of terminators, I run mega blastas.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
So many models! Are you ever going to use them all at once?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
I would love too, but it would be pretty rare.  We play a good amount of apocolypse, so dropping 13,000 - 15,000 isn't that unheard of.  The most I have ever used is 8000.  I normally have a partner to help run them though.  Like I said, my dream is 20,000 but I also have no illusions that I will ever truly be able to paint them all.

Much of the reason I have them all is so I can field every kind of army there is from green horde to speed freak to dredd mob.  I love them odels, the play style, and the variety.

Would be nice to have some sort of reliable shooting...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 03:24:08 PM »
Yep, but its Orks. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
There is always hope that 6th edition and a new book might give some orks some form of targetter/gitfinda type thing to improve the BS of some units like lootaz/meks   :-D

Deff dreads as troops, cant capture objectives.  So all your are doing is shifting them into troops slot.  Don't you use all your troop slots Philly?  I thought you played large points games   :-D

How do you deal with armour with Orks?  What happens if you come against multiple landraiders/monoliths?  In my experience playing against orks, they really struggle to fight against armour 14.  Even powerclawz are not brilliant, especially if the tank blows up and takes your orks with it.  That really only leaves DCCWs as a valid option doesn't it?

20,000 points is considerably easier to purchase than paint, with pretty much every army I can think of!  Good luck with that.  How large a table do you play on for 13-15000 points?  When I play with my guard army, I often struggle to deploy 2000 points on my 6x4 table.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
I use deff rollas, boarding planks, and power klaws for high armor.  Deff rollas work best since those d6 S10 hits can be pretty brutal.  If there is still a PK ork inside, he will then use the boarding plank for 3 - 4 S9 attacks.  That will generally ruin the vehicles day at the very least.  It isn't ideal, since it requires the wagons get right on top of the landraider.  Monoliths are easy to reach on the other hand.

For troop I normally go one deff dredd, 1 nob unit, and 3 - 4 units of 20 - 30 ork boyz plus a unit of gretchin if I didn't fill out with orks.  HEavy slots are far more important than troop.

As for playing, 3000 points fits pretty easy on 4x6.  At 8000 points per side we pay on an 8x12 floor area we tape off.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
As for playing, 3000 points fits pretty easy on 4x6.  At 8000 points per side we pay on an 8x12 floor area we tape off.

You can tell you live in the US!  I don't know a single person, including people who have houses worth between £200,000 and £400,000, who has enough spare room to put a 8x12 floor table in!   :-D  Heck, most new houses built here would struggle to fit that entire space in a room.

Deth rollas look great as well.  I was attempting to explain the awesomeness of them to my ork opponent, but he can't see why he wants to risk a death or glory with them.  Hes not grasped its mostly for running over tanks.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
LOL, I have a 2500 square foot house.  It is considered a slightly above average house in terms of size here in Maine.  But my ex-wife said something similar about houses in Wakefield.  She said houses in England are very... economical!

But if we were going to play at 12000 per side or so, I think we would need to play at my sister in law's store.  She has an area that is empty and roughly 25" by 50"

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
You have much more land in the US than we do over here   :-D  We have 68 million people in space significantly smaller than nearly any one of your states.

Wakefield is not far from me, and the houses seem similar sizes to around my town [I spend a lot of time working there].  I actually have a fairly sizable house by standards around Yorkshire and Humberside, its 3 bedrooms and only I live there!  My two spare bedrooms are now my games room and my model storage room   :-D 

If I was "lucky" enough to own a new build house, most of them are microscopic compared to mine.   If I removed all my sofas, I could play a 25x8 foot game in my living room, but wouldn't have anywhere to sit!  The only realistic avenue for my group to play bigger games would be to go to our local gaming club, but its full of people who think deodorant is optional!

How many FOC do you use at 12,000 points?  Is it 1 per 2000 points?  Sorry for derailing your thread Philly!

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »
Apocolypse disregards the FOC.  You use everything you have and go from there.  It does have formations which help to tie things together.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Ah okay.

Never played Apocalypse though I have many many points of models.  I just struggle to deploy them.  I suppose if your orks are in transports its not too bad, but units of 30 orks spread out to avoid too much damage from templates fills huge amounts of space!

Got another question for you :)
Are mega armour nobs worth including?  It seems to me that regular ork nobs can get invunerables and feel no pain, but mega armour can't, and is stuck with what is essentially artificer armour.