home

Author Topic: Classic Warhammer Battles  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
Classic Warhammer Battles
« on: January 03, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »
So my gaming group has very generously explored my d10-based version of Warhammer (roughly?) 6ed...and to my surprise it's going very well.  We ran some starter games of general Dwarfs vs. Greenskins to hash out rules queries and check on balance, and after a few very minor tweaks we were up for our first scenario - the Battle of East Gate.  It's an old 4th (5th?) edition battle featuring Dwarfs rushing across a field (lengthwise, down the table) and Greenskins trying to slow them down using Night Goblin archers (most of whom aren't on the field at the start of the battle).  So far I think it's fair to say that we've had a blast.  That said, we're doing our fourth run at at this weekend (Dwarfs are losing the series 2-1 and want one last chance), and I think it will be our last for this particular scenario.

We've discussed doing some other armies/matchups, and I thought digging up some more old scenarios might be fun.  Any recommendations?  Battle for Tor Yvresse?  Hel Fenn?  That Greenskins vs. Empire battle described in the 6ed army book?  Historical battles, classic battles, vendetta games?  I'm looking for ideas/inspiration.  Scenarios with specific army lists are nice but not at all necessary. 

We have armies of Dwarfs, Elves (all types), Chaos (but very few Beastmen), Skaven, Undead, Lizardmen, and hordes upon hordes of Empire.  I don't think any of us has a lot of special characters...other than Empire.  Oh, and we might have Chaos Dwarfs viable for play in a few weeks.  Keeping to reasonably-sized armies (2500-3000 points), with 2-3 players commanding each army.

So much fun to have these armies out again!  I hadn't painted fantasy in a while, but this has driven me to finish my Orcs & Goblins and now I'm getting back to Chaos and dear-sweet-merciful-Shallya-do-I-really-need-more-Empire.  Also, I feel like a traitor saying how much I love playing Greenskins.  But there's something so satisfying about sending in a wave of night goblins, then hurling rocks/arrows in from behind them and chuckling at your own casualties (I mean, as long as you still get at least one dwarf).  And when your goblins screw up the battle plan by deciding to riddle your orcs with arrows rather than stay in formation and shoot the enemy...I mean, that's what I call entertainment!   :happy:
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Classic Warhammer Battles
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:42:28 AM »
See if you can get the old General's Compendium (or the PDF online...  :engel: ) There were some scenarios & ideas there.

I can't seem to find it online right now, but back a while ago (years...) someone had collected all of the WFB scenarios for the last few editions into a single document. Not exact reproductions, but just the text explaining enough of each scenario to play it, along with a citation on where to find the original.

I'm curious about your d10 mod. Back in the old days, after we had played 3rd ed. for a few years, a friend and I wrote out a d10 based version of the game as well, with the idea that the d10 allowed a greater degree of fine-tuning and helped different armies stand apart from each other (without the later addition of piles of (sometimes game-breaking) special rules.)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
Yep, General's Compendium could be worth breaking out again.  And I'm curious regarding your D10 system as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
Gah!  How could I forget the Compendium?  I have a copy on my shelf, fortunately.  :happy:

I'm thinking of not just necessarily scenarios, but specific battles as well.  For example, the 6e Empire book describes a battle between orcs and empire (Blood Gulch or something like that?).  We might try to set up something like that.

I'm at work right now, but I can post a link to the rules tonight when I get home.  I'm always interested in feedback.  My gaming group is a great bunch of guys but it's always nice to get some other opinions.  Thanks!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 02:48:56 AM »
I think Blood Gulch is a Halo multiplayer level :lol:

Maybe Blackfire Pass?

There were a number of scenarios split across white dwarfs - i dont have easy access to check white dwarves, but anyone else?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
Found it!  Blood Gorge!  But it's in the 6E BRB (p. 140), not the Empire book...an understandable mistake given how Empire-centric the 6E BRB is.

Here's my d10 rules.  The main rulebook is Ruin of Archons 5.6 (down at the bottom).
https://sites.google.com/site/theruinofangels/ruin-of-archons

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 05:41:46 AM »
I think Blood Gulch is a Halo multiplayer level :lol:

Its the best level is what it is!

I remember Blood Gorge! Played it with friends a couple of times actually. Almost always got crushed, no matter what side I was.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 03:47:45 PM »
I am stunned at the effort put into your versions of WFB and 40K.  Stunned.

My miniatures experience has drifted further away into historicals, and would love to give a go to this kind of game that seems to have been achieved here, and yet time and energy and money make life so challenging in so many ways.  Maybe I can get rich, retire, and play more games? Lol!

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 08:50:13 PM »
I had the good fortune to fall in with a gaming group that plays for fun (but has a couple of rules guys) and leans toward sci-fi/fantasy (but has a couple of historical gamers).  Makes for a good balance and great feedback/enthusiasm for gaming.  The rules guys keep me honest, the fun guys keep it light, the sci-fi/fantasy gamers keep it fluffy, and the historical gamers keep it chill.  =)

Any particular historical era?  Is your drift more of a gaming group or personal leaning?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:27:29 PM »
My interests in historical gaming are vast. :icon_lol:

And more of a personal leaning, although part of a gaming group that also has historicals as their main interest.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:38:59 AM »
Speaking of scenarios and historicals... Many of the Warhammer Ancients books are good material for mining scenarios. Many can be easily reworked for fantasy. "Siege and Conquest" is a good place to start....

https://www.scribd.com/document/64714089/Warhammer-Ancient-Battles-Siege-Conquest