home

Author Topic: T9A forum - engaging with game creators - does it work?  (Read 13028 times)

Offline Bugman

• Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Lead Dwarf Engineer
  • Members
Re: T9A forum - engaging with game creators - does it work?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 06:12:36 PM »
Hello there,

As Head of PR and an AvB memeber, I can help clear up a few things here:

1) We had to move away from Warhammer due to copyright issues. TBH though the game plays just like warhammer but is now more balanced in every aspect. The new Warriors of The Dark Gods book has gone a storm and we are currently working hard on Daemon Legions

2) We are a charity, we have no plans to sell the game, you will always be able to download the rules for free and print the, off or use your phone or tablet to store them on. Note this isn’t just a slim book, it includes the full colour rulebooks too. In the future some other companies will be able to print the rules and sell the rulebooks but T9A will not see a penny of this, and even then you will still be able to download the full set of rules for free. It’s free now and always will be. Anything else is just BS

3) Yes the developers listen to the community. It doesn’t mean that you will get what you ask for but we do listen.

Please give the game a try. Last weekend I attended a 80 strong T9A tournament and what surprised me was th huge amount of people that where not part of the forums, so please don’t let a few bad apples ruin it for you

Lastly EoS (Empire of Sonstahl) is a great balanced army, very much embodies the Warhammmer Empire age gone by

Any problems give us a shout
http://Http://www.bugmansbrewery.com - The oldest, largest &  most informative Dwarf Website in the old world

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
its been a while what do people say about the 9th age?
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
Definitely worth of trying out for yourself!

My personal opinion is that T9A, as of now, is a game of its own. It has moved further away from WHFB8thed than any WHFB edition from the previous. So you cannot trust your memories of how a previous WHFB edition played, you have to read & learn T9A. Ofcourse, it's still a WHFB legacy game with all the game elements there. Markedly less spectacular & individual than WHFB, but that much more balanced. The army building procedure is much more complicated, but on the other hand, it can be that much more rewarding, and there are very very few units or indeed unit sizes that would feel rubbish or overkill on the game table (unlike in 8th).

Because of the balance, T9A also rewards learning the nuances of the game, which on one hand means you have lots to find out, but on the other hand results in more experienced players with trimmed armies really winning consistently. My personal problem with the game comes from this: if I join the local T9A players, I will also join a very competitive scene with an analytical attitude towards the game. As my hobby is more about telling stories, painting figures and having good time with friends, the local T9A scene is not tempting. But that's not a fault of the game, it's part of how we gamers go after the different things that we find fun in the hobby.

My 2d..

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
After Gold 2.0 release (hopefully end of 2018) T9A intends to develop background, in order to attract more fluff lovers.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
Personally, I feel fluff is needed to justify unit choices and themes of armies. Without it, they have been relying on GW fluff for a long time. Which is fine I guess.

I know they released the Dark Gods book, but lots of people from what I understood consider the 7 deadly sins a bit meh?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
I must say that I've lost almost all enthusiasm for 9th.

Back when it all started rolling I was the one who introduced 9th to my gaming buddies, organising mini-tournaments, campagins etc. I was really into it, up untill 1.2 dropped. Then I slowly started to back away from it and now it's my friends who are bugging me to start playing again.

It's a mix of things that's putting me off from 9th. It was supposed to be a "Legacy" version of warhammer, with stuff tweaked, balanced out and everything made playable. And that's what it was up untill 1.1. Then they decided that they want to make their own game and that's when things started to go downhill imho. It's a far greater task to write your own rules, than to tweak someone elese's work, esp. in the comittee style organisation that 9th Age is. And I don't think they are doing a very good job honestly.

The rules are becoming impossible to read with all the little caveats, all the fun stuff is getting cut, and keeping up with the changes seems to be an impossible task.  Unless you are a tournament regular that is, and that is effectively where the game is at. I get it, misfire tables, templates, a large amount of lores of magic and all that jazz slows you down in torunament play. Well, what if you are not a tournament player? The game currently offers very little for non-competetive tourney players and that's why I've been gravitating back towards 8th ed, or maybe even eralier editions. Are the rules balanced? No. Are they full of fun, quirky stuff, that give you an immersive experience with wacky things happening? Sure do. I never really understood people playing WFB as a tournament game, I think there are FAR better systems out there for this type of experience. But then again, I was one of those people who actually LIKED the O&G animosity rules  :icon_mrgreen: . I liked my army going out of control and the challenge of trying to win against the odds. I was sad to see that being cut from 9th (again - the sole reason for the game existing seems to be organised tournament play).

As for them making their own fluff - yeah sure, why not. I've read some, it was ok. Not great and not better than the Old World stuff, to which I am deffinietly more attached. So I don't think this will pull me in, but who knows.

One more thing. I've recently stumbled upon this article:
https://napoleoninelba.blogspot.com/2018/07/9th-age-warhammer-fantasy-sadly-slowly.html?m=1 
While I don't agree with everything this guy wrote, I think he is mostly right. He deffinietly makes some solid points, which I think need addressing. Turns out that the 9th age community went crazy over this, immediately banning the dude from the forums and starting a multi-page flamewar, riddiculing what he wrote and claming he is a GW payed troll (lol). The 9th age staff were pretty active in that thread from what I've seen. That didn't really leave a good impression on me either.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Good article. Mostly how I feel about T9A. The strive for balance in my mind takes the fun away.
Its a strange thought really, because playing Warhammer I always wanted balance, but looking at T9A I want something fun, interesting and inspiring. Taking a weak army and winning is a actually fun. Its weird how I didn’t properly appreciate that until I saw the alternative.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
I read that blog post, then went and read his second one (The update), then went and read the 9th age forum threads in question, and I really have to say I'm disappointed by the reaction. There was indeed a lot of hate just for questioning how good it is. Heck on his own forum there are comments saying "Why be negative? If your negative that must mean it's personal".

I think he has some valid points to consider. Especially if they want to make it a long lasting game. I've dabbled in 9th age but it never really caught me in the first place. Now that I stop and think about it, I don't think I've seen or heard of a 9th age game around my part since it first came out.

I also really agree with his comments about toning down the hate for Age of Sigmar. It's one of the reason's I'm glad we split our section off. Even if you dislike it, the constant bad mouthing for other games just turns people off.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
That article by Napoleon in Elba. If I had an Imperial copper pfennig for every article like that, I'd... you know how it goes. They all, invariably, say the following:

-T9A is dying

-The reasons for that are the following things that are wrong about the game and/or the Project. This is an unbiased account of the opinions of the silent majority and in no way my personal bill of grievances.

-To save T9A, they should do what I suggest here, which is an actual rational plan for accomplishing the goal, not just redress of my own grievances. And even if it just hypothetically were the latter, it's still what they should do, because I'm a representative sample of the silent majority that's slowly but inexorably abandoning the game.

After a while, you notice a pattern and stop giving these people much thought. This guy's response blogpost is particularly precious too. When people started citing him numbers of increasing tournament attendance to show that the game isn't dying, he dismissed it as irrelevant. Ignoring or forgetting that his assertion of T9A being dying was to begin with based on such very numbers.  :roll:

With time, I've come to regard such proclamations that "T9A is dying!" as part wishful thinking by the embittered hoping for vindication, and part as attempts to blackmail the Project into becoming what they want it to be. I learned to recognize this phenomenon previously in online discussions about EVE Online, where "EVE is dying!" was proclaimed in much the same way.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 06:38:10 PM by Konrad von Richtmark »
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
See I read the blog posts and didn't really feel he's saying "It's dying abandon ship!" Even though that was the meme he posted right at the beginning. I read it more as "There are problems, and growth isn't great, we should look at some things."

Honestly looking at the response thread on the 9th age forum was pretty sad to. The vast majority of people (Who I don't know, so I assume their all fine people normally) just jumped to troll or shill. I was interested to see them quoting tournament attendance, but even in the 9th age thread other people were pointing out it was mostly at ETC and the comparison was that ETC had more 9th age teams then other games there, while ignoring that other games have a much larger tournament scene of their own that doesn't involve ETC.

I thought the blog guy did put too much focus on essentially commercializing it and trying to raise money. I really, REALLY don't see the 9th age forum suddenly putting up a paywall to raise money.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »
I must say that I've lost almost all enthusiasm for 9th. ...<reasons>
Thanks for your testimony.
I will copy/paste that in the relevant T9A thread, unless you object.

If I may enlight you with the following information:
- T9A aimed to be initially like a 9th edition of WH, just more balanced and better written.
Then a specialized lawyer told us that the appearance was too close to WH8th, so GW could stop the project at any time with a cease and desist.
The alternative: either T9A was successful and it would be killed, or it was not successful and it would die.
We had no other choice than to change a lot of stuff, and quickly. This left many players bitter, and many team members as well.
We understand them, but T9A cannot be WH9th, so if this is what they want, they will not find it with T9A.

- As you rightfully mention, current beta rules are written in a legalese wording which is perfect for tournament play, but repelling for casual play.
We have a team reviewing that, based on community's feedback, to help reaching a healthier compromise, to be published in the Gold version, end of 2018.

- Contrary to what you object, keeping up with the changes is not an impossible task, that's the opposite.
People may play 1.3, it has not changed a single comma in 18 months. For those who play the beta, there have been big changes from 1.3 to beta .201, but since, changes from beta .201 to beta .205 are really few and easy to keep up with. When gold will be released, the new changes will be for the great majority cosmetic changes, i.e. wording. That is not hard to adapt to, except for those looking for a reason to reject change.

But if you are allergic to changes, just wait for the Gold 2nd edition, to be relased at the end of 2018: the base rules won't change anymore for the next 5 years or more. And basically besides a yearly update of points, only the army books will change, one at a time, like GW did for WH.

- Tournament focused.
WH rules were allegedly not made for tournament. It did not prevent GW to sponsor tournaments in the early editions, nor to sponsor tournament currently with AoS, despite being badly adapted.
T9A rules were to be adapted to tournament since the very first days. No surprise there.

What people don't realize, for good reasons, is that T9A is NOT intended for tournament players only (otherwise I would not participate).
Unfortunately, the most urgent was tournaments, and that was the initial focus.
For those who are not interested in tournaments, the good news is that we're reaching a state when we can afford to shift focus, and while preserving the tournament quality (balance), we are going to create army books which will cater better the needs of casual players (who like the very crazy rules that tournament players hate), and storytellers, who call for more fluff release.

- Fluff:
to me, it will be the most appealling part of T9A. We're not yet there, having released little. But I have access to the preparatory work, and that is just stunning.
But the most interesting part, is that the community may influence it.
In no other game may anyone discuss with background team, and get replies, and sometimes influence them.
That is also the guarantee that no "End Times" will ever happen to T9A setting.

- Reaction to "doom blogs".
See post by Konrad who express very neatly the dominent sentiment at T9A.
Where I don't agree is about AoS bashing.
This was common two or three years ago.
Fortunately, most people have moved on, and nowadays you can praise AoS withouth getting angry replies.

-=-=-

tl;dr:
Part or your resentment is fact of life.
Part is old story, no longer valid.
Part is still valid, but soon to get dealt with.

Thanks for reading, and keep discussing! :icon_smile:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 08:16:11 AM by Calisson »

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
Quote from: Calisson

If I may enlight you with the following information:
- T9A aimed to be initially like a 9th edition of WH, just more balanced and better written.
Then a specialized lawyer told us that the appearance was too close to WH8th, so GW could stop the project at any time with a cease and desist.
The alternative: either T9A was successful and it would be killed, or it was not successful and it would die.
We had no other choice than to change a lot of stuff, and quickly. This left many players bitter, and many team members as well.
We understand them, but T9A cannot be WH9th, so if this is what they want, they will not find it with T9A.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. If you wish you can post my words on the forums, but I have an account there and I think I already did write something like this ages ago. So I don't really think it will be useful or necessary.

Reffering to what you said about GW going after T9A.  First of all, there are (were?) plenty of old GW games that had "living rulebooks", with fans tweaking and updating the rules and nothing bad has ever happened to them over years and years (Blood Bowl, Necromunda and Warmaster Revolutins to name a few). GW only seems to go after people who try and make money off of their IP (the whole Chapterhouse thing that happened a couple of years ago). Maybe I am wrong and maybe a C&D would arrive. Why wouldn't it arrive now? The ruleset  and army books, despite  all the changes, still have "Warhammer" written all over them. If GW really, really wanted to screw this up - they would. T9A is unable to deffend itself in a legal battle as it is right now. You'd have to reeeally shake things up to make this whole idea work, and at this point maybe it would be easier to write a completely new ruleset and fluff althogether. I know that's what they are kinda trying to do, but at the same time they want to make it seem as close to WH as they can, so that people won't jump ship. Seems like an impossible task to me.

- As you rightfully mention, current beta rules are written in a legalese wording which is perfect for tournament play, but repelling for casual play.
We have a team reviewing that, based on community's feedback, to help reaching a healthier compromise, to be published in the Gold version, end of 2018.

- Contrary to what you object, keeping up with the changes is not an impossible task, that's the opposite.
People may play 1.3, it has not changed a single comma in 18 months. For those who play the beta, there have been big changes from 1.3 to beta .201, but since, changes from beta .201 to beta .205 are really few and easy to keep up with. When gold will be released, the new changes will be for the great majority cosmetic changes, i.e. wording. That is not hard to adapt to, except for those looking for a reason to reject change.

But if you are allergic to changes, just wait for the Gold 2nd edition, to be relased at the end of 2018: the base rules won't change anymore for the next 5 years or more. And basically besides a yearly update of points, only the army books will change, one at a time, like GW did for WH.

I am not opposed to change, I am though doubtfull about "change for the sake of change". If 1.1 was a good functioning system, and the sole reason for making the shift to 1.2 and onwards was to limit the chances of getting sued, than that does not sound like great motivation for making decisions or improving the game.

And yes, I am aware of the 1.3 version as a "stable" format of the game. I've tried sticking with an old version (1.1) for a while, but it was really difficult to convince people to keep playing it. They either gravitate towards the latest product, or they drop out of 9th altogether. Might as well keep playing 8th with all the nicely printed books, cards etc.

- Tournament focused.
WH rules were allegedly not made for tournament. It did not prevent GW to sponsor tournaments in the early editions, nor to sponsor tournament currently with AoS, despite being badly adapted.
T9A rules were to be adapted to tournament since the very first days. No surprise there.

What people don't realize, for good reasons, is that T9A is NOT intended for tournament players only (otherwise I would not participate).
Unfortunately, the most urgent was tournaments, and that was the initial focus.
For those who are not interested in tournaments, the good news is that we're reaching a state when we can afford to shift focus, and while preserving the tournament quality (balance), we are going to create army books which will cater better the needs of casual players (who like the very crazy rules that tournament players hate), and storytellers, who call for more fluff release.

That's good to hear. When that happens I will deffinietly give T9A another go.

- Fluff:
to me, it will be the most appealling part of T9A. We're not yet there, having released little. But I have access to the preparatory work, and that is just stunning.
But the most interesting part, is that the community may influence it.
In no other game may anyone discuss with background team, and get replies, and sometimes influence them.
That is also the guarantee that no "End Times" will ever happen to T9A setting.

Well, I hope you are right and we all will become swept away by the new fluff. Thing is - I am really happy with warhammer fluff. I don't feel the need for new fluff! It's a tough thing to win people over with writting. I tried getting into Mantica, but it failled to catch my interest. I am not exactly sure what the T9A are planning, although I did hear in some podcast about them trying to definine everything to the last detail. Including stuff like what elves eat and how their biology works, what magic really is etc. I wonder what will come out of it. The writters have some pretty big shoes to fill at least. People like Rick Priestly or Bryan Ansell have really managed to create something that has captured the immagination of quite a few people over the last 30 years. Can T9A top it? We shall see.

- Reaction to "doom blogs".
See post by Konrad who express very neatly the dominent sentiment at T9A.
Where I don't agree is about AoS bashing.
This was common two or three years ago.
Fortunately, most people have moved on, and nowadays you can praise AoS withouth getting angry replies.

Yeah, thing is that to me this dind't read like a "doom blog" at all. Just a guy stating a well constructed opinion. He's statistics are fishy of course, but in general there's nothing offensive here. The reaction on the 9th age community's end was pretty silly though, and gave him a lot more credit, than if he'd been ignored.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:09:37 PM by The Black Knight »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »
I'm really looking forward to the new fluff, and it might be what finally gets me deeper into it. Hopefully it's what gives me the chance to get my club in as well. On the other hand, I feel like it's been so long since it was said the fluff is coming that to many have moved on to other games.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:18 AM »
Making new fluff to justify a blander version of warhammer doesn’t interest me all that much.

I am mainly keeping busy making my own fluff now that I don’t feel constrained anymore. Keeps me satisfied. Not as though I have any time to play anymore anyway.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »
If you loved the Warhammer fluff so much, what's stopping you from playing Warhammer using the rules of T9A? Pretty much every unit from the last few editions of Warhammer has a corresponding unit that functions fairly similarly in T9A, and that's going to be the case as long as they stay true to their objective to have a game you can play with your old Warhammer collection.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
If you loved the Warhammer fluff so much, what's stopping you from playing Warhammer using the rules of T9A? Pretty much every unit from the last few editions of Warhammer has a corresponding unit that functions fairly similarly in T9A, and that's going to be the case as long as they stay true to their objective to have a game you can play with your old Warhammer collection.

Hi Konrad. Nothing wrong at all, in fact it's what I've been doing all along. It's just that I don't feel that the current 9th ed version corresponds with the old fluff that well. Hence my withdrawal to 8th.

On a sidenote - the dice gods are listening and have rewarded me for praising randomness it seemed xD. I've just had a game with my goblins against my brothers VC using 8th ed. Nothing big, a 1000 point game, both with pretty tame lists (trying to get him playing fantasy). Well, my army pretty much imploded by turn two. Everything that could fail animosity did. I've panicked my own archers off the table, after the NG horde delt 2d6 s3 hits on them, all my warmachines including the bolt thrower misfired, my wolf riders charged through fanatics and then my shaman went double 1's on his miscast, exploding the aformentioned goblin horde with S10 big blast and cascading himself into the realm of chaos. Then the rest of my army pretty much ran away. Good times..... ;)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »
This!👆
It was that random craziness that could take hold that was the charm of the O&G.
I have to admit though, that’s a lot to deal with by turn 2 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
Do any of you guys know of a T9A gaming scene or even just two friends playing regularly T9A who wouldn't be overly and totally competitive?

Before you ask, I don't have the time to organize things myself. I'm just asking if you know of a T9A group/scene that plays relaxed and story-oriented. Knowing that such existed would highen my spirits and make T9A seem more promising even in my corner of the world. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »

Thats not what I said at all. I am making my own fluff at the moment and long term goal of making my own game system. Hopefully be fone by the time my son is old enough in 5 or so years... :engel:

I like Warhammer fluff plenty, but it was getting stale. The WotDG (is that the acronym?) fluff looked ok, but also looks like bland warhammer. I am making something else.

Regarding playing, I haven’t played in probably 3 years. Young kids, work, chores and life are in the way, plus my main gaming buddy lives in snother state, and the other also has life, work and kid blockers.

There is good stuff happening over there on T9A, dont get me wrong. Like I said above though, I am actually not a fan of hyper balance. It doesn’t give me challenging feeling of spending hours optmising a list between theme and competitivity because it is more balanced. If that makes sense? I also think the ASAW approach takes that option even further away from me. On the flip side though, some of the balance choices seem to remove more than they add, while also keeping some of the warhammer ‘mistakes’ to my mind.

I just feel like adhering to warhammer-ish fluff, warhammer-ish unit choices doesn’t appeal to me. The armies dont need to be what they are, other than the heavy use of warhammer legacy reasons. In the past 10 years I found myself more making army lists around a theme - sometimes from sub sections of deep warhammer fluff, and other times something completely different to their fluff, such as A Cartheginean army or Tower army from Heroes of M&M3.

I feel free not using anyone elses fluff or game system, and trying to make my own. But I have time in a way I guess.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:02:57 PM by Warlord »

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »
Do any of you guys know of a T9A gaming scene or even just two friends playing regularly T9A who wouldn't be overly and totally competitive?

Before you ask, I don't have the time to organize things myself. I'm just asking if you know of a T9A group/scene that plays relaxed and story-oriented. Knowing that such existed would highen my spirits and make T9A seem more promising even in my corner of the world. :)

-Z

I think our little corner of the Finnish T9A scene is pretty chill. As for story, it tends to come after the fact rather than define how and what we play.

Me and the dwarf player decided that our battles are from the Patent Wars, a conflict over Dwarven patent claims to plate armour and the right to collect licensing fees from Imperial armourers. Imperial armourers consider it preposterous that Dwarven inventions over a millennium ago should give them rights to it forever, and besides, Gothic plate armour > Dwarven plate armour. We came up with this when he tried to think of a reason to put a grudge on my Imperial Guard unit, then we took it from there  :-D

If you and I ever end up on the same local scene, we could play the Age of Three Emperors, with my troops being Talabheim-coloured and your Stirlanders.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2018, 02:45:52 PM »
Thats an awesome reason to fight. I love it very much!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
As a big dwarf player I 100% think that's a great fight reasons. Silly humans, thinking that agreed upon contracts are suddenly void just because it's been a few generations.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 03:00:58 AM »
I think T9A is doing great now. Its picking up in my city of Edmonton.
The legal stuff is what it is and nothing can be done about it except to blame GeeDubs.

I found T9A players to not be overly competitive like some were in 8th edition. Lots of people play casual games. Even competitive guys will take more fluffy/themed lists and have a good time.
Team tournaments are becoming very popular just because its more fun to be on a team.

As for forum whining and stuff - thats the internet for ya.

For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2018, 02:16:00 AM »
I have been reading the Dogs of War (Grand Companies) thread recently and have seen some awesome ideas and some boring ideas. Overall I dont mind the idea and how the whole thing is being approached, but my issue is creating rules before fluff. I have had a go recently at trying to come up with unique or different armies, and the first place to start should always be the fluff. Rules first mean no one has articulated the fluff, and a lot of the fluff is in people’s heads and very similar to GW.
Just my 2 cents... fluff first!

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2018, 06:54:17 AM »
The DoW army you have seen is homebrew, nothing official.
It is a placeholder, made spontaneously by oW fans out of T9A official framework, so that:
- those who have old DoW armies may play them, until T9A ends up creating Iron Crowns
- hence keeping a tiny living DoW community until then (expect ~2013 if all goes well...)
- meanwhile, testing out a couple of ideas, which T9A wil examine in due time.
Fluff is part of the new ideas to test out.

All official armies will be revised, one after another, in the coming 5 years.
Fluff is currently established broadly for all of them, and for each AB, it will be refined before making actual rules.