home

Author Topic: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland  (Read 50351 times)

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
Re: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2012, 01:27:06 AM »
Long time no update!

Well, in fact, this isn't really an update, its an ongoing reworking of all my current work, in an attempt to bring my fluff back under control, and back into line with GW's official background.

With the new release, I have been inspired to pick up my army and actually start playing again. Before, writing was a replacement for this, and now I want my models to more accurately represent a possible army from my Barony. Thus, I am going back on a lot of what I have written to fit this, including ways of fitting in Steam Tanks, Demigryphs and the such into a small Barony's army. I have also decided I do not want to Baroness on the field all the time, as I feel this would be foolish as she is a massive liability. As such, I decreased her age to 21 and gave her motivation to stay away from battle (her father died in battle).

I have written up a first draft of the new history of Sonnefurt. A lot of it is the same bar some dates, and I bulked a lot of minor details out into bigger paragraphs. I want Sonnefurt to now feel like a smaller community of a few thousand people, and I hope I have also conveyed that it is constantly under attack, what with being next to an open Skaven community, a goblin infested wood, a Wight Cairn and the Black Mountains.

I will be reviewing a lot of the other information in due course and keeping you all posted. I may even create another thread to keep all of the new/reviewed stuff together, and close this one down.

And yes, this does mean that the Wedding in Wissenland is off for a bit, I haven't really decided where I want to go with that at all...  :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, heres the new timeline:

-------------No records remain from prior to 1707 -------------

1707- Sonnefurt and its surroundings completely destroyed by the invasion of Orc Warlord Gorbad Ironclaw. Many Orcs and Goblins remain in the Martinswald and the Bezau Hills to the South.

1710- Reconstruction begins. Dwarf population grows once again, for the first time since they retreated to their mountains during the Black Death. Their numbers double in a few short years. It is said this is the time the Strommson clan, ancestors of current Dwarf Elder Jusk Strommson moved to the area.

1715- The first Council of the Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt, Ostrach and Thalfang is called, independently to Kreutzhofen, to deal with the remnants Gorbad’s Waaagh that lingers ominously in the Martinswald. A general militia is raised, independent of Kreutzhofen, and many of the Goblins are driven from the area, further into the hills.

1722- Riots in Sonnefurt concerning the poor leadership of Kreutzhofen since the destruction in the wake of Gorbad Ironclaw. Sonnefurt has had no extra funding, protection or investment, whilst Kreutzhofen has grown massively through trade. Riots are unanswered, and many are injured during the violence.

1734- A raid of chaotic beastmen sacks Ostrach, killing hundreds and making many refugees. The beastlord Khrark Three-horn is hunted by a combined force of the South Wissenland Road Wardens and Sonnefurt and Thalfang militias rather than professional Kreutzhofen regiments, as the Baron claims he cannot provide the numbers needed.

1756- Abject poverty hits the Barony due to widespread failed harvests in all of Southern Wissenland.  The poor and the hungry lash out at the authorities, and these riots are brutally suppressed by Kreutzhofen troops. Resentment continues across the Barony.

1778- The river Aschen floods the low lying river banks where many grow their crops in Great Flood of Thalfang. Dozens perish in the icy waters whilst they work and agriculture is halted for the rest of the year.

1804- Deep in the Martinswald, the geographical anomaly that is now named “Morr’s Chasm” opens. Reports tell of an unnatural green light glowing in the skies above. Many scholars come to the Barony from all over The Empire to study it. Many never return from their ventures.

1805- A year after disappearing into Morr’s Chasm, hoping to meet with the God of Death to cure his crippling illness, a Thalfang resident called Edgar returns perfectly healed but with a glowing green tint to his eyes. Many believe that he fought Morr for his life and won, and some believe he was experimented on by the rat-beasts. All that is known is that he survived another fifty years, becoming Thalfang’s oldest resident in history, and that he is still revered by many as a religious figure in the Cult of Morr.

1815- The Martinswald is thought to be relatively safe compared to previous years, as expeditions to clear the Beasts and Greenskins from it were stepped up. Despite the lingering danger, villagers migrate and small scale timber industry is established by merchants in the larger towns, exploiting these brave workers.

1817- Lumberjacks report small skirmishes with rat-formed beasts in the Martinswald, near “Morr’s Chasm”. These reports are denounced as nothing to worry about, and mere old wives tales, but those spouting them mysteriously disappear, or become very reluctant to answer further questions.

1825- The two woodcutting villages of Bezeinhof and Martinskorf are officially recognised after ten years. More people flock to these outlying villages due to this news, and the woodcutting community grows further. They are allowed to elect their own Mayors, subject to Kreutzhofen approval.

1856- One hundred years after riots in Sonnefurt, the inhabitants pay homage to the fallen by taking to the streets in mass mourning. This is seen by the current, slightly paranoid, Baron Karl Pfeifraucher  as a reborn insurrection, and troops are rushed to the town to brutally subdue the memorial. Hans Hettinger, a simple dock worker, led the “Defence of the Dockyards” against these troops, a guerrilla campaign in the town of Sonnefurt, and in the surrounding countryside that lasted for 15 days and nights before Hans was caught and publically executed. His actions inspired future rebellion and to this day Sonnefurt citizens remember him as a folk hero.

1860- Otto Pfeifraucher, youngest son of Baron Karl Pfeifraucher, is murdered while hunting in the Martinswald. He is found stripped naked with stab wounds from many different weapons, and it is assumed he fell foul of bandits. Baron Pfeifraucher however, sure of a plot against his family by insurrectionists launches an investigation into the murder, but too many suspects are found in the Barony with the means and motivations and the case remains unresolved.

1861- In answer to his son’s murder, Baron Karl Pfeifraucher finances barracks and a permanently stationed garrison in Sonnefurt to suppress any insurrection to their command. This begins the long established Military District in the town, and many forges spring up, including the famous Skeggi’s Workshop and the Beyer Foundry.

1873- Due to the increased military industrial economy in Sonnefurt after the establishment of the Pfeifraucher barracks, the Sol River Patrol choose to garrison a regiment in the town. The 9th Regiment are stationed and their trade brings added prosperity to the blossoming industry in the town.

1897- Militias from Strazen report attacks from an army of the walking dead in the Dieten Hills. They are apparently led by a Wight Lord of some kind. Many rumour this Wight to be the long lost King Dieten, who gave his name to the hills. After these reports reach further afield, there is an increased presence of holy men and shady characters, thought to be secretive witch hunters.

1932- Financial crisis hits the Pfeifraucher family as Baron Ludwig Pfeifraucher loses huge sums of money whilst gambling. In order to finance these loses he auctions off family lands he deems worthless to him. Thalfang, Ostrach and Sonnefurt are all auctioned to an incredibly wealthy customer, Dieter Wulstberg, a merchant from Marienburg. He is widely popular with the people despite imposing the Liberty Tax to help pay for his acquisition, and celebrations of independence are held. Sonnefurt becomes a freestadt and Dieter is inaugurated as the town’s Burgomeister. Under his guidance and mercantile know how, the towns and their surroundings grow and prosper like never before.

1987- Ertingen is auctioned by the Pfeifraucher family,  as even though Baron Ludwig Pfeifraucher committed suicide by tying rocks to his feet and jumping into the Sol, he still owed many powerful people copious amounts of money. In the auction Dieter’s son, Albert, purchases Ertingen and the village of Strazen further up stream.

1989- Albert issues a contract for Sonnefurt-Ertingen Ferry, connecting the two towns for the first time, but neither want to be merged and fiercely protect their independent identities to this day. The contract is won by an eccentric Dwarf engineer, Baldrick Sootbeard and his experimental paddle steamer, and has been run by his family ever since. Baldrick’s ferry is granted a monopoly on the crossing, and unlawful crossings can be fined.

2011- Residents report more undead attacks from the Dieten Hills, stating it is the same Wight King back again. The wine industry on the hills is hugely damaged by the abject terror instilled into the workers, many of who refuse to continue picking the fields. The resulting wine shortage is known locally as “The Drought”.

2032- Sonnefurt celebrates two hundred years of independence under the Wulstberg family. It is in this year that the Count of Wissenland offers Wilhelm Wulstberg the chance to become a Baron, which is taken, officially establishing the independent Barony of Sonnefurt. As a result the region flourishes more and more each year. Population of the town reaches a peak not rivalled until modern times.

2101- This year is locally known as the ‘Dark Year’. Constant raids by Beasts, the Undead and Goblins combined with famine and an incredibly harsh winter means Sonnefurt reaches a level of poverty not seen since the wake of Gorbad Ironclaw’s destruction. In the largest battle of the raids, the Second Regiment of Sonnefurt are utterly destroyed by a Waaagh, but ultimately protect Sonnefurt from falling to the Greenskins and repel the siege. The regiment was never reformed as a gesture of eternal remembrance for their sacrifice. A memorial can be found to them in the Garden of Morr in Sonnefurt.

2132- After having finally recovered from economical and social effects of the the devastation of the ‘Dark Year’, Sonnefurt celebrates three hundred years of independence.  A grand statue of Dieter Wulstberg is dedicated by his descendants in a poignant ceremony. He accompanies the great statues of other Sonnefurt heroes, Hans Hettinger and Father Martin.

2209- Rat-formed beasts emerge from the Martinswald attack the town of Thalfang. Marshal Alfred Schmiller leads the attack which repels the beasts but is gravely wounded by a wicked poisoned weapon. He dies many days later at his home and his rants about walking rats are denounced as delusional and a result of strange poisons. His body is taken by mysterious men to be examined and never returned.

2239- A horde of marauding trolls and other foul beasts roll through the Barony from the Black Mountains, destroying everything in their path, razing the town of Bezeinhof almost to the ground. Neither the militias nor the Barony’s armies can put a stop to the rampage and all seems lost when the cavalcade of creatures moves for Thalfang. However, the horde is stopped when out of nowhere, the Knights of the Bloodied Claw descended upon them with sword and steel, vanquishing all before them. Amongst the knights were powerful Demigryphs, who easily killed the most powerful beasts.

It was later discovered that these Knights had a chapter house high above the Bezau Hills and had pursued the horde into the Barony. Hans Wulstberg, the then Baron, grants them funding from his treasuries and a long standing alliance is made with the chapter. The Templar Knights remain in the Black Mountains, but are at the Barony’s beck and call.

2270- Hans Wulstberg, dies as the last of the Wulstberg’s, without a legitimate heir. Sonnefurt risks takeover from Kreutzhofen once again as they manoeuvre to be re-issued the Barony to their name. The people, not wanting this fate, instead choose to form a temporary Council of Towns and Villages of Sonnefurt, like in 1715 and rule independently. This is approved by the correct authorities and Kreutzhofen are foiled.

2295- It is decided that after quarter of a century of wise leadership, Head Councillor and rich merchant Frederick Tol is to become Baron of Sonnefurt. Despite little precedence for such a promotion, the overwhelming support from the populace means that Wissenburg eventually cave after much lobby, and the Tol family are inaugurated as Barons of Sonnefurt in a ceremony in Wissenburg.

2304- Magnus the Pious establishes his court in Nuln after the Great War against Chaos. Baron Frederick Tol often attends this court and wins much favour with both the Emperor and the ruling classes of both Nuln and Wissenland, making a name for himself by riding on the laurels of his recent, unprecedented promotion. His political career boosts the recognition of Sonnefurt, and many courtiers venture southwards to visit the town and it quickly becomes a spot for rich tourists to stop on river cruises on the River Sol.

2397- Baron Gregor Tol builds the Baron’s villa to the south of Sonnefurt, abandoning the town villa built by the Wulstbergs. Many see this as a slight on the townspeople, but Lucas maintains a presence in the town for public show, whilst establishing the villa’s now famous vineyard as one of his hobbies.

2424- After the sacking of the Nuln by Goblin Warlord Grom, many noble Wissenland families move south for protection. Due to Sonnefurt’s recognition amongst the ruling classes, many seek it out as a safe haven for the rich, and bolster its population with their presence. Many also stay on even when Nuln is deemed fit for habitation. This begins the renaissance of the Upper River Side.

Also this year, after his father Michael’s death leading Count von Liebwitz’s armies against Grom the Paunch, a seven year old bastard child of the northern Von Heisenberg line, Phillip, is sent southwards so he cannot make claims on his father’s estates. He is sent to live with his aunt, Katherin Bohm, the wife of the then Baron, Herman Tol. The couple effectively adopt the boy, and Herman Tol even educates him in the running of the Barony, seeing potential in the young lad.

2438- Baron Herman Tol dies with no direct heirs. However, Katherin Bohm campaigns to have her young nephew, Phillip von Heisenberg accepted as the Baron, for he was the closest living heir and despite his illegitimacy, his family name was prestigious further North in Wissenland. The Council reluctantly agree rather than descend into another period without a clear ruler.

2442- Phillip marries local a merchant’s daughter, Julia Maurer, who he had met before his inauguration as Baron. Later this year, the couple produce their first child; Heinrich von Heisenberg, truly beginning the Von Heisenberg dynasty in Sonnefurt.

2461- Baron Phillip von Heisenberg arranges for his son Heinrich to marry Lea Schafer, sister to Freida Schafer, the wife of the current Elector Count of Wissenland and Nuln, Count Frank von Liebwitz.

2465- Baron Phillip von Heisenberg dies at the age of fifty, leaving the title of Baron to his young son Heinrich von Heisenberg. He is interred into the graveyard at the Baron’s Villa, where all the Von Heisenbergs are now buried, alongside the Tols.

2472- After several attempts, and an infant son Phillip who died in 2469 at the age of four, Lea gives birth to a fit and healthy Max von Heisenberg, giving hope to a continuation of the Von Heisenberg legacy in the Barony.

2489- To save the Barony from total economic downturn in the face of the loss of Ostrach's production, Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg marries his son Max to Vanessa Zell, sister to Herman Zell, a prominent merchant in the town from the Border Princes. He also makes him a Lord in order to coax him to bring business to the Barony.

2491- Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg dies from gout. Baron Max von Heisenberg takes over in his stead.

2494- A young and valiant Captain Richter Eichhorn of the 9th Sol River Patrol Regiment is noted for his service to Sonnefurt in a battle against a rampaging Ogre band that had devastated the surrounding area. The River Patrol were not obligated to act but nevertheless stepped in to destroy the threat. Baron Heinrich von Heisenberg offers Richter the position as the town's Bailiff as a reward for his services. Richter agrees so he can settle with a family, and leaves the Sol River Patrol.

2502- Marshal Kurt Salzemund mysteriously disappears whilst hunting near Morr’s Chasm with no trace of him or his hunting party. In his absence Bailiff Richter Eichhorn becomes Marshal, but this leads many to question whether he had a hand in the Marshal’s disappearance. His case is not helped as those who believe his innocence are widely disbelieved as they argue that the Marshal was taken by the rat-beasts.

2511- After 21 long and worrying years of attempts to conceive any child, and many miscarriages, Vanessa eventually gave birth to a girl, Katarina, despite fears she may be barren. Aware he probably won’t sire a male heir before he dies; Max begins to teach Katarina to rule, grooming her for becoming Sonnefurt’s first Baroness. He hires the best teacher in South Wissenland, a scholar from the Border Princes called Arthritiknes.

2517- Max von Heisenberg joins a contingent of the Barony’s soldiers send to fight on behalf of Southern Wissenland against  the threat to the province of the undead hordes of Zacharias the Everliving. Despite Marshal Eichhorn’s best efforts to save him, the Baron perishes in single combat with a Vampiric Thrall. Fortunately the Marshal is able to stop the Baron from being turned into the undead, and brings his body back to Sonnefurt for public mourning. He swears he will never see the Baroness harmed in this way, and doubles the numbers of the Von Heisenberg guard for her protection.

At 16 years old it is decided that Katarina is old enough to take control of her father’s Barony, although many dispute the prowess of a woman, or the precedence for a Baroness. However, the Council refute any claims against her, as they believe that Sonnefurt has never been one to let precedence get in the way. Katarina is inaugurated on her 16th birthday.

2524- Katarina wisely decides that, seeing as she is surrounded by hostile Solland insurrectionists from Kreutzhofen and Kroppenleben, to stay neutral during the ‘Solland Effort’ but is poised to repel possible invasion. This makes her many political enemies at court.

2526- Kroppenleben frames Sonnefurt for industrial sabotage and uses it as an excuse to launch a long planned war against the Barony. They receive limited aid from Kreutzhofen. Thalfang and Ostrach are both captured and Sonnefurt besieged. The campaign fails when Sonnefurt's allies from Meissen, Heisenburg and the Nuln Volunteers break the siege.

Present
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:35:27 PM by Le Pistolet »
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: The Barony of Sonnefurt, Wissenland
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
Looks pretty awesome Le Pistolet...

I was actually looking forward to writing some more background on Stattenland as well.

Hmm... its a pity most of our stories are set in the future otherwise collaboration on a story could be cool...
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::