home

Author Topic: To either delight or offend... The Barony of Gormenghast  (Read 1251 times)

Offline unheilig

• Members
To either delight or offend... The Barony of Gormenghast
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:47:16 AM »
The basis for my new army...

The Barony of Gormenghast.

On days where the winds push the clouds away from the peaks of the World's Edge Mountains, the common folk Grenzstadt, in the Grand County of Averland, can almost make out the great towers and spires of the vast mountain hold of Gormenghast. Once a home to dwarves, lost then to the mages of Ulthuan in the War of the Beard, and later overran by goblin hordes... eventually it was cleared and conquered by Skaven Clan Groan, who coveted the endless abyssal subterranean labrynth for its incredibly rich veins of warpstone.  Cataclysms triggered by a Storm of Magic cut off Gormenghast from the rest of the Under-Empire... isolating the Skaven clans that inhabited it.

Grey Seer Craggmire, who was perhaps even less sound of mind than typical Skaven, attempted to integrate Gormenghast into Imperial political society and christened himself First Baron of Gormenghast. The idea proved disastrous, but the tradition remained long into Gormenghast's isolation... a dark mockery of feudal society is maintained as each Grey Seer in succession of power has claimed the title “Baron of Gormenghast”.

Clan Gormenghast's isolation and wealth of warpstone has served it well over the generations... avoiding open warfare and slowly seducing savvy, cunning, and capable lords and masters from other clans, such as Prunesquallor of Clan Moulder, Pentecaust of Clan Skryre, and Rottcodd of Clan Pestilens, has exponentially swollen Gormenghast's influence and power.

Now, a young warlord has risen quickly in the machiavellian politics of Gormenghast, and urges the 76th. Baron of Gormenghast, Grey Seer Sepulchrave, to cast aside Clan Gormenghast's isolationism and once again inflict itself upon the surface world. Averland is a wealthy and influential province, but is war weary, and her friends and allies are devoted to struggles on other fronts... an all-out war with Gormenghast would prove disastrous. Sepulchrave has shown up to several banquets and balls and even at an aristocratic wedding in Averheim.  Men-at-arms and Judicial Champions have often barely stayed their hands, suffering the degradations of such a creature debasing their society... but bringing any harm to the “Baron” would guarantee all out war. Sepulchrave's Grand Marshall Steerpike has even defended the Blackfire Pass from Orc invasion attempts... Such a strange peace may not be able to be maintained...and some believe Steerpike desires its eventual end by breaking the tolerance and patience of the aristocratic families of Averland... but until then, “Baron” Sepulchrave, “Grand Mashall” Steerpike, and the rest of Clan Gormenghast continue to take peripheral part in Imperial Society and defend The Empire's borders... for whatever diabolic (or delusional) ends may come of it.
"History has shown there are no invincible armies"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: To either delight or offend... The Barony of Gormenghast
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:07 AM »
I love Gormenghast, so this is a great idea!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
I like it! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:01:22 AM »
hahaha I love it.
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::