home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...  (Read 47047 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...
« Reply #300 on: September 13, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
You should take some technical advice.

It may be that mixing it with the enamels negates some of the potential damage.

Then I am sure there are tests that can be done to see if you have suffered anything long term. The sooner you know, the more chance you have of treating and/or dealing with it.

I must admit, the danger was new to me.
I have used white spirit in household paint situations, and had jamjars of it sitting on windowsills above the kitchen sink, soaking paint out of paintbrushes.
Not quite your level but it has sat there for several days running.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #301 on: September 13, 2019, 08:19:08 PM »
My method of cleaning brushes, for 35 years, has been to dip the brush in white spirit, and stroke the brush in a wooden surface to clean it, dipping several times. Then drying on a tissue, and painting again. Every few minutes, as enamels are cruel to brushes! With little puddles, the wood and the tissue evaporating white spirit under my nose as the lamp warms it.

Basically, I must already have been mad to have used this technique. But familiarity really does breed contempt, and it was what I had done since the 80s, as a child. And it was just 'normal' practice.

Not sure I want tests. I really doubt there's anything they can do to reverse the damage (and I am forcing myself NOT to google this stuff otherwise I will start to imagine all sorts of ailments). So I'll only go for tests if symptoms start to manifest, i.e. my brain begins to melt.

I always had a bad long term memory, so that I have to re-re-re learn chunks of information for what I do. Bit I can't tell if it has got worse!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #302 on: September 14, 2019, 06:19:52 AM »
I think you may be lucky, Padre, as despite that rather intense exposure to fumes the odds are that you'd have been feeling some ill effects during the painting sessions if indeed you were breathing in strong fumes to the point of damage. Obviously such long term exposure probably wasn't great but I think if any lasting damage has been done you'd probably know about it by now. In any case, they haven't directly linked white spirit to neural damage in humans.

Probably best to go ahead and switch to acrylics though...

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #303 on: September 14, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about the perils of this hobby but would suggest you have any tests you are offered Padre, better to know if you have a problem than spend the next few years worrying about it.

Monthly task finished as written by GP in this list, I just have to put them on their base.

1x Warhammer Underworlds Warband (with modifications?) – Zarbag’s Gitz.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2019, 08:36:18 PM »
At first it was ... "where did he get those figures?"  Then it was ... "Oh right, this is from JAK, he created them."

And those goblins are really dastardly little dudes.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2019, 09:51:22 PM »
Love em!👆
What worries me is that gobbo with the picture of the rabbit. A lot of things come to mind and none of them good 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #306 on: September 14, 2019, 10:47:02 PM »
Jumping in half way through the month, my goal is to finish 4 BlackStone Fortress adventurers. I got inspired this past week and finished 7 of the traitor guard, so now I need some good guys to cut them down!

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2019, 08:01:13 PM »
Goblins based ready for competition at weekend.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »
WTF?!  :Ohmy:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »
We get some really high quality stuff being shown on this website.  This is another one.

JAK's painting style alone makes this great.  The story telling through these kinds of dioramas is astounding.

I feel so blessed to see things like this, it makes life worth living. Very grateful, and I am humbled by things like this.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #310 on: September 27, 2019, 05:13:33 PM »
OMG JAK!  :Ohmy:

Amazing work!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #311 on: September 27, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
Pretty bloomin' amazing Zak. Double wow!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »
I have completed a goal (bar basing) although I am not sure whether it was an August or a September goal. 25 pirate pike. Probably the last bit one project I will ever use enamels on!

The Sartosans wanted something to face horse soldiers. They now got something. Might add some more ranks at a later date. I had fun converting some figures in to pike-armed fellows, and LOTS of fun figuring out how to base them as a unit, some at charge, some at port, some at shoulder and some at order. Crazy! (They should really all be doing the same thing at the same time!)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Ah! But pirates are of course ... pirates!

What figures were used as the base for the pikemen creations?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
They are Wargames Foundry pirates, mostly. Not sure about the officer and musician though. Most were 'half-pike' men, but with only 16 of those I had to fashion up some more to get a reasonable number, cutting off boarding axes, drilling through the hands and inserting a pike.

I was gonna do them as proper half-pike men, but I could not convince myself to hack half the length off the pikes. It is a Tilean campaign, so why shouldn't the Sartosan landing force attempt to use full length pikes?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:38:11 PM by Padre »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #315 on: September 28, 2019, 03:34:09 PM »
I'm painting a single squad of space marines, at the moment, just for fun. I'm enjoying not having a big project on the go, for once!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #316 on: September 28, 2019, 10:19:59 PM »
023 ... 1 witch hunter, 8 10 of his followers, and 4 sea elves.

I finished my goal, plus a few extra.

4 sea elves

1 witch hunter, 10 of his followers (incl. animals) plus the 3 figures I painted last month.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
Orctober is nigh upon us! Or half-Orctober in my case (again).

This is my goal, 25 warriors and a partially painted priestess.

Edit: I've decided that the priestess just doesn't fit with the rest of the half-orcs even though it's a nice sculpt. I'm not going to paint her.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:09:58 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »
About 95% done, so I wanted to share these. As always, a photo really shows up flaws (those skulls need tidying, for a start) but here are my 5 Mentor Legion Space Marines.

One of those things I always wanted to do back in the day, but never did. I've used Devastator heads with extra optics to depict the "Targeting Web" system Mentor squads can access.

The owl icon is hand painted so I've only included the best of the five in shot! They don't look too bad one at a time, they are a bit variable all seen at once. Embrassed to post these after 023's Sea Elf freehand tbh!

Also, all my pics have been coming out greenish for months now, still can't work out why...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:37:07 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #319 on: October 03, 2019, 11:08:44 AM »
Some great stuff happening this past month, wonderful!

I'll update the tally for Sept asap, and then start the tally for October.

Myself ... been on a roll with my hobby storage unit project, 4 weekends in a row spending 2 to 4 hours getting stuff moved and minimally organized into fantasy, sci-fi, historicals, terrain, books/mags/rules.  Expecting some more big picture organizing this weekend, and then eventually gettign inot the nitty gritty of sorting further before beginning to prioritize and start knocking off items on projects.

I did construct 6 Forgotten Worlds figures from the recent kickstarter, and looking forward to making more of them this upcoming month.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:05 PM »
Good to see someone else flying the true Mentor colours – not chickening out like the ‘Eavy Metal Team. You should never feel embarrassed about showing your work, whatever state it’s in – a hand painted owl has more kudos than a red eagle head decal any day.

The first squad I did had spiders on their guns to represent the ‘web’

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #321 on: October 05, 2019, 07:07:59 AM »
Painting has really stalled for me lately. I'm going to make this months goal something simple. I have a wizard that needs painting!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #322 on: October 05, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence JAK. You're right of course.

I solved the greenish photo problem - the plastic cover on my work light is so old it has discoloured! Took it off and now the light is white again :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:20:54 AM by Shadespyre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #323 on: October 06, 2019, 08:01:39 PM »
Here is the update for September ...

Tally of September Hobby Goals

Padre ... 24 pirate half pikes, pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon.
023 ... 1 witch hunter, 8 of his followers, 3 dogs, and 4 sea elves.
JAK ... 1 Warhammer Underworlds Warband (with modifications).
GP ... 4 Persian cav mold lines and flash cleaned, construct 6 Forgotten World spearmen.
Von Zorn .. 2 units of HE spears, 2 Units of HE archers
Shadespyre ... 1 zombie dragon, squad of space marines.
Gankom ... 4 BlackStone Fortress adventurers.

(Items in bold completed.)

I'll start a list for October next ... onward with Orc(k)tober!

This month maybe challenge yourself to paint an orc(k)!  Or a half orc. Maybe a goblin? :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:48:10 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
I haven't added a greenskin to my list yet, but maybe.  I got a bunch of 40K orks that could use some painting, and some fantasy O&G too!

Start of Orc(k)tober Hobby Goals

023 ... 25 half-orc warriors.
Von Zorn ... a wizard
GP ... 4 Persian cav mold lines and flash cleaned, construct 9 Forgotten World spearmen, 1 leader, 1 standard bearer, 1 muscian.

(Items in bold completed.)