home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...  (Read 47053 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2019 ...
« Reply #275 on: August 12, 2019, 07:46:22 PM »
Start of August Goals ...

GP ... 16 Persian cav mold lines and flash cleaned.
023 ... 1 figure
Von Zorn ... 1 unit of the High Elf spearmen.
Padre ... more GMing his campaign
Shadespyre ... finish Brown Orc army miniatures and basing

(Items in bold completed.)
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
Ok, campaign stuff done as far as I can just now ... the players have to send me orders and questions and what not now.

Which means I have undercoated 24 pirate half-pike men that DamoB (who fell off the forum when the forum stopped recognising him) gave me. So goals now = 24 pirate half pikes plus a bunch of bits and bobs (pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon, and other bits that might get done as I make progress with the pirates). There were officially only 16 half pike men but I have cut some axes and stuff off some others and drilled through so that they have half-pikes too!

DamoB gave me loads of pirates, none of which I already owned. Foundry, and lovely (and expensive). Thanks DamoB.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2019, 05:20:35 AM »

I planned for a single painted miniature.

I painted three!

Three peasants. Not painted terribly well, unfortunately. Quick & rough painting, about the best I can manage this month. I've got a plan and will be scrounging around for more peasants.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2019, 12:28:19 PM »
The peasants are revolting!  :eusa_clap:

I'm three movement trays away from finishing my army...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #279 on: August 21, 2019, 03:27:20 AM »
Sigh, my August goal will be finishing these three chaos models. I've built a ton of stuff, but its all been putting together salvaged or new stuff and not painting things yet.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »
Well, I've officially finished my Brown Orc army.

230 models in the end. There may be more in future, no project is ever really finished, but I've no specific plans right now.

I'm not sure what comes next. There are a few part-painted (undead) models on my bench, but I'm not very inspired by them.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
I did it! I did it in the final quarter, but I finished the three freaking chaos models. They were actually quite fun and enjoyable, but life is so crazy I kept having to put off painting.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2019, 09:01:02 PM »
Still painting (sad face). Please carry August's goals over to September.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2019, 05:00:08 AM »
I started on my goals already this weekend. 1 witch hunter, 8 of his followers, and 4 sea elves.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »
The local GW painting competition for September is an Underworlds Warband which you are allowed to do more or less what you like with. The store manager suggested that having finished the City Watch I should take a break from Discworld, I hope he’s not disappointed.

Target – a Warhammer Underworlds Warband (with modifications?)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »
YES!!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2019, 04:17:30 PM »
Be surprised if JAK painted anything without modification.  :icon_wink:

And I'm not complaining. :icon_cool:

- - - - - -

Got in 12 of 16 Persian cav cleaned up this past Saturday.  4 more to go for Sept!
Might even get out those darned mounted crossbows

Final Tally of Start of August Goals ...

GP ... 12 of 16 Persian cav mold lines and flash cleaned.
023 ... 3 peasant figures.
Von Zorn ... 1 unit of the High Elf spearmen.
Padre ... more GMing his campaign, 24 pirate half pikes, pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon.
Shadespyre ... finish Brown Orc army miniatures and basing.
Gankom ... 3 chaos figures.

- - - - - -

Start of September Hobby Goals ...

Padre ...  pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon.
023 ... 1 witch hunter, 8 of his followers, and 4 sea elves.
JAK ... 1 Warhammer Underworlds Warband (with modifications?)
GP ... 4 cav mold lines and flash cleaned.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:42:47 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
But GP, like I wrote, I failed to achieve any of my August goals. The pirate halfpike men are only half done (ironic eh?).

Edit: I have worked out what I did which lead you to think I had completed the half pikes. I bolded them in a comment. Oops!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:28:10 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
That's what they get for being half pikes!  If they'd been whole pikes, they'd been done! :icon_mrgreen:

- - - - - -

Ok, updated for August above, and updated here for September.

Start of September Hobby Goals ...

Padre ... 24 pirate half pikes, pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon.
GP ... 4 cav mold lines and flash cleaned.

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »
I failed my August goal completely. Not for lack of painting, but I never got to the Warmaster stuff. I shall carry my August goal forward with the amendment that I'd like to have painted two units of Spearmen and 2 units of archers. My opponent is ahead of me with his Dark Elf painting so I best crack on!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Updating Start of September Hobby Goals ...

Padre ... 24 pirate half pikes, pirate dwarfs, a wine wagon.
GP ... 4 Persian cav mold lines and flash cleaned.
Von Zorn .. 2 units of HE spears, 2 Units of HE archers

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #291 on: September 07, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Picked up a brush after a week or so and found a little inspiration, so my September goal is now to paint 1 Zombie Dragon. I might even finish it this weekend, big models are actually pretty quick to paint, I find...

EDIT - finished it while listening to the cricket today

The latest in a constant stream of brilliant models from the Reaper Bones range. This one is also a much more usable size than the enormous ones I've painted previously.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:31:10 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »
Nice !

Reaper metal models are my thing, Dark heaven Legends,

some of the sculpts are incredible,

not much rank and file stuff though, just characters
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #293 on: September 09, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Yup, there are lots of them in my Vampire army, sometimes they are a little large alongside GW minis but it's not that important for characters. If I was growing up playing D&D *now*, I'm sure it'd be Reaper minis I'd be in love with for the rest of my life, not Citadel! They have some great sculptors on board. You could argue that Darksword make even nicer miniatures, but they are definitely out of scale with "Heroic 28mm" and the range is nowhere near as big.

Reaper also have their own fantasy rules system which they make minis aimed at, but I've no idea what it's like. Has anyone here looked at it?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2019, 02:56:10 PM »
 :Ohmy: That looks great! I was starting to think about returning to the undead, including the skeletal creatures from the last Bones KS. Completely forgot about the zombie dragon. I thought the figure looked just "OK", but now I'm much more impressed seeing this.  :eusa_clap:

I have painted the witch hunter and 13 of his followers (if you include the three animal minions).

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2019, 08:48:00 PM »
I can't finish mine. There's a hitch, to do with poisoning myself with white spirit fumes for more than three decades. Oops! I missed the changing of the labels and hadn't read them for decades.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:52:27 PM by Padre »

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #296 on: September 13, 2019, 06:06:39 PM »
Whoa. What do you mean? You've made yourself ill from the fumes?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #297 on: September 13, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »
Not sure. What I do know is that I have stupidly been breathing very dangerous fumes for 35 years, in confined spaces, without a proper understanding of the risk. Have you read the warnings on White Spirit? Central nervous system damage!!  I've been cleaning brushes with the stuff, every few minutes, whilst painting thousands upon thousands of figures, for vast stretches of time, in very ill-ventilated spaces, thinking that the warnings I originally read had not changed, and so not bothering to read the new ones. All the while allowing little puddles of the stuff to evaporate beneath my nose, under a hot lamp, then creating another puddle every few minutes to clean my brush. Ignorance really is bliss, until it is stupidly dangerous.

Maybe I have been lucky, and stopped just before it really chewed my grey matter to pieces? Only some sort of medical tests would tell. I can't really assess my own mind!

What I know is that I am now too afraid to finish the figures I was working on. Or that I will only do so in the kitchen with the door wide open!

Then I am making the move to acrylics like every one else. Why did I stubbornly stick with the devil I knew? Because I didn't realise what a devil it was!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:52:15 PM by Padre »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #298 on: September 13, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
Is your workshop in the basement? Are the walls stone or wood? You could get one of the more expensive bathroom fans and install it above your paint area and vent it outside through the floor joists. An expensive one $80 and up has very little noise so it would be pretty unobtrusive. Wire it in with your light and your switch will handle both. You won’t regret it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #299 on: September 13, 2019, 08:03:35 PM »
I'm just gonna give up on enamels. My cellar workshop is a stone cave 'tanked' with plastic. There's very little ventilation, which is why I have a dehumidifier running all the time!!

I will be moving on to acrylics. I hope I dodged the bullet with White Spirit. It basically rots you brain with repeated and prolonged exposure! 35 years! Sheesh. I am an idiot.

I am now asking on various Facebook painting groups which acrylics will lend themselves best to my black undercoat and block painting technique.