home

Author Topic: Battle of Ummenbach Pass, Bat Rep & quiz!  (Read 13744 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Battle of Ummenbach Pass, Bat Rep & quiz!
« on: August 23, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »
Battle of Ummenbach Pass
(Battle Report: 2750(ish) pts, Dwarfs versus Ogres)

Introduction:
This is a continuation of the Border Princes IC 2524 (Linked to the Solland Effort) thread (see http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=27949.0). You will find there the lead up to this battle.

There is a quiz element to this thread, an idea I have not tried before but which intrigues me. See the end and you'll understand. In the meantime, let's get on with it.

Prologue
This was not what Agrabog had been expecting. He had been told this pass was unguarded, and that the Black Company had traversed it only a few months previously, yet here was a force of mountain dwarfs arrayed to defend the entrance to the pass. And it was no hastily mustered affair, nor an under-strength garrison force, but a full army with batteries of artillery and large regiments of warriors.
   “We still going?” asked Jublig, the leader of Agrabog’s Irongut bodyguard.
   “Aye, we are. I ain’t coming all this way to be put off by little ‘uns. You mark my word, by nightfall we’ll be chewing on their bones.”
   “Tough meat, dwarves,” was all that Jublig said in response.
   Agrabog ignored him and began bellowing out his orders for the array of his army.

Agrabog’s force: Ogre Kingdoms 2751 pts

Tyrant Agrabog (General) - Tenderiser, Bullgut, Deathcheater
Hunter Boondak & 2 Sabretusks - Sword of Battle, Talisman of Protection
Butcher Gholjodoo - Sword of Might, Bangstick
Butcher Fumpem - Sword of Striking, Wyrdstone Necklace

3 x 3  Bulls, each with Full Command, Ironfist; Light Armour
3 Bulls, Bellower
4 Ironguts, Full Command (Gutlord Jublig), War Banner
3 x 30 Gnoblar Fighters each with Groinbiter
2 x 2 Leadbelchers each with Bellower
Scraplauncher
2 Maneaters - Brace of Handguns (x1); Cathayan Longsword (x1)
Slavegiant (Bodo)

Lord Sternbrow of Khazid Hafak had fought on this ground previously. For months he had been cursing that he was not here when the wickedly villainous Black Company had passed through, but at leas he was here now. It was a good place to fight and he had the best of his warriors with him, He was confident.

Dwarfs of Khazid Hafak: 2764 pts

Dwarf Lord (Mighted Sternbrow), General - Gromril, Shield, Shieldbearers; Master Rune of Skalf Blackhammer, Rune of Fury, Rune of Resistance
Thane (Battle Standard Bearer) - Oath Stone; Master Rune of Grungni; Rune of Courage; Rune of Guarding
Thane (Ilvar Flatnose) - Rune of Fire, Rune of Might; Rune of Iron, Rune of Stone
Runesmith - Rune of Might, two Runes of Spellbreaking

20 Ironbreakers - FC; Runic Standard, Ancestor Rune, Rune of Determination, Rune of Sanctuary
20 Longbeards - FC; Runic Standard, Rune of Battle; Rune of Determination
34 Dwarf Warriors - FC
2 x 10 Thunderers with Veteran
10 Quarellers

Bolt Thrower - Master Rune of Skewering; Rune of Penetrating
Bolt Thrower - Rune of Penetrating
Cannon - Rune of Burning; Rune of Fortune; Engineer with Dwarf Handgun
Cannon - Rune of Forging; Rune of Penetrating; Engineer with Brace of Pistols
Organ Gun

The field of battle

The mouth of the pass was flanked by rocky hills, providing the dwarfs with natural bastions upon which to mount their artillery pieces, as well as depressions in which to muster their regiments of warriors. To the north of the main valley leading to the pass was a smaller valley which culminated in a ring of passable hills that could allow access up and over into the main valley. Scattered throughout the whole area before the pass were patches of rocky ground that would prove difficult to move over, even for Ogres. These threatened to restrict the Ogres’ advance, and unless considered carefully, would channel them towards the foe in a manner they might not wish for, unable to support regiments off to their own flanks.

All in all, the terrain favoured the dwarfs - which should come as no surprise, considering they had picked exactly where they wanted to stage their defence of the pass. Here they had the heights and the space to deploy their strength to their advantage.

Deployment

Lord Sternbrow deployed his army as follows: Upon his right, aiming right down the small valley, he put a regiment of Thunderers. Their volleys would be bolstered by the shots of one of a pair of Bolt Throwers he deployed in the woods upon the hill on the northern side of the mouth to the pass (though the other Bolt Thrower was positioned to shoot instead down the larger valley). He ordered his thane Ilvar Flatnose to command the Longbeards and position them below the Bolt Throwers so that they could move into either of the valleys.
     Sternbrow himself led his Ironbreakers, with his Runesmith by his side. These being his elite, he stood them right before the mouth into the pass. As there was plenty of space available, he ordered his massive regiment of warriors, commanded by his Army Standard Bearer, to take up position on his own regiment’s left flank. From there out to the left he placed his artillery and missile troops - two cannons, an organ gun, Thunderers and Quarrelers - all aiming down at the large expanse of open ground that would surely be the Ogres’ main route of advance.

In response, Agrabog divided his force into two wings.

The right wing would be an illusion of strength, consisting of his weakest regiment of Bulls, a brace of Leadbelchers and the rest being three regiments of thirty Gnoblars and the Scraplauncher. This wing was to deploy upon the wide open space facing most of the dwarven artillery and missile troops.

His right wing, however, was where all his strength was concentrated. He himself took the lead with his Ironguts, and mustered about him two regiments of Bulls with his Butchers attached, his Slave Giant and Maneaters. These he intended to lead up the smaller of the two valleys, knowing that they would be forced into a column, but planning to smash through at the front and thus allow those following to fan out (especially down into the main valley before the pass).

Two Leadbelchers moved cautiously to his right, which he thought might provide a distraction for the foe, while off some way to the left, forming the extreme flank of his army, he sent his Hunter and the last of his regiments of Bulls, hoping that they could punch through and then swing right at the far end to join the main fight.

Now the quiz part: You know the army lists, the terrain, the deployment and the commanders’ plans. Let’s have your predictions at this early stage - Who will win this battle?

(Uryens - You can't enter, for obvious reasons. I know you were thinking about it, you cheeky monkey. But no, you're not allowed!)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:11:49 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
Re: Battle of Ummenbach Pass, Bat Rep & quiz!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 02:34:17 PM »
Dwarfs!  They've got the ground and the troops in place.  The Ogres are not prepared to meet them and they have to maneuver for their plan to succeed.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »
I very much like the terrain set up for this scenario! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:26:55 PM »
Ogres!

I think that weak Gnoblar flank will utterly destroy those silly dwarfs.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »
I think that weak Gnoblar flank will utterly destroy those silly dwarfs.

Are you being sarcastic?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »
Nope, I'm going to take a gamble and say the unexpected. Because... its unexpected and in my eyes means its more likely to be the result of the quiz.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 04:10:39 PM »
Ah! You are wearing your 'quiz' head and not your WFB head. I see. Very cunning.

Well, you'll get no clues from, me!

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »
Stop keeping us in suspence dammit! ;)
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »
Stop keeping us in suspence dammit! ;)
Yeah you'll be in a lot of suspense I suppose.  :roll:

But yes, Padre, hurry up! I do agree though, you're the King of bat reps. I always like your posts.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
What I meant was, I love reading them too, rather than anything else :)

Its very interesting to note the different attitude in replies here compared to where Padre has posted it on Bugmans.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 10:59:55 AM »
Its very interesting to note the different attitude in replies here compared to where Padre has posted it on Bugmans.
Yes, I saw the thread there as well, so I went over here to read it properly.  :engel:

I didn't see much replies yet there, though. Why, what's so different then?
cisse

Offline Dunrik

• Members
  • Alexander von Wolfenberg
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
It may have something with that people over there don't know him/his style. And I don't know how active that forum is now. Oh well, their loss, eh? :::cheers:::
RIP Rufas/Ironmonger

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks."
Napoleon Bonaparte

My blog, http://wolfenbergtimes.blogspot.com/

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:11:35 AM »
Yes, I saw the thread there as well, so I went over here to read it properly.  :engel:

I didn't see much replies yet there, though. Why, what's so different then?

The immediate critique of pretty much everything - deployment, army lists etc.

There's a reson I dont go on there much.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

Heh, noticed it too now. Wow makes me glad I only skim over that forum and prefer it here.  :-)

Common Padre what's keeping you! The suspense is killing me.  :wink:
cisse

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 12:37:32 PM »
By the way, what's the prize for the quiz?

I'm hoping for home-made baked goods ;)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 01:45:04 PM »
My bet also goes to the Ogres as from the positioning and army composition the dwarves would be the favorites and I like to stick with the underdog.

Padre thanks for doing all those fantastic battle reports.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
The Battle, Part One (Turns 1 & 2)

Lord Sternbrow realised immediately what the Ogres intended to do and ordered his musician to signal Thane Ilvar to lead the Longbeards to the head of the smaller valley and prepare to make a stand. He himself turned his Ironbreakers and readied them for an advance up and over the hill to join the Longbeards in the fight. Agrabog, being in the smaller valley, could not see what the Ironbreakers and the Dwarf Lord were up to (Game Note: Translate this as I didn’t really notice their turning move.)

Nothing else moved in the Dwarves’ line, but the artillery made themselves busy. One cannon scored a hit upon the Scraplauncher, but nothing more than a glancing blow off one of the Rhinox’s horns. The dumb beast did not even notice! The second cannon overshot the Bulls ahead of it and brought down two gnoblars. Needless to say the crew thought the shot a waste of good powder. Quarrelers and Thunderers alike poured their shots at the same three Bulls, and did manage to bloody them somewhat. Then the Bolt Throwers let loose, one wounding the Slavegiant, the other felling one of the three Bulls already shot at by just about everyone else. The remaining pair were unnerved by this disheartening turn of events, especially with so far yet to go before they reached the enemy line, and they turned and fled. Unusually, the Gnoblar regiment they hurtled straight through seemed to think the flight was part of the plan and chose not to join them! Embarrassed by the little ‘uns lack of concern, the two Ogre Bulls bucked their ideas up and rallied in the rear, just in time to watch two of the Gnoblar regiments march forwards ahead of them, joined by the Leabelchers and followed closely by thr Scraplauncher. The advance on the Ogres’ right had begun - with only the two Bulls and one of the Gnoblar regiments letting the side down.

Meanwhile on the left Agrabog led his Ironguts along the valley, the size of his own unit forcing the two regiments of Bulls, the Maneaters and even the Giant to trail behind in a ragged column. (Game Note: I wish I had remembered it was no good ‘hiding’ a giant, what with him being a large target, because then I would have had him much further forward to start off with - maybe even on the right.)

And out on the far left, in the even smaller valley to the west of the one Agrabog occupied, the Hunter led his brute hounds forwards, with the fourth regiment of Bulls keeping up behind him.

All the Butchers’ magic was dispelled or broken by the dwarfs, while the Scraplauncher’s shot fell just short of the Warriors. Still, the Ogres were getting closer.
     Now the Longbeards turned themselves to face the valley, while the elite Ironbreakers marched boldly onto the hill - much surprising Agrabog with their sudden threatening appearance. Further to the left the massive regiment of Warriors began an advance of its own towards the massed regiments of Gnoblars, not one dwarf thinking such goblin warriors could be of any worth.

The two cannons fired a second time, and once again one of them hit the Scraplauncher. This was no glancing blow, for the iron ball buried itself deep in the Rhinox’s flesh and brought the beast down, the superstructure of wood and metal upon its back smashing to pieces in the fall and what few Gnoblars that survived buried in the tangle mess created.
     The two leadbelchers in the centre found themselves approaching the massive, and surely impossible to miss, regiment of Warriors. Both chuckled at the thought of what their pieces could do to such a foe.

What they had failed to notice, however, was the organ gun looking down from the hill behind the warriors. This now gave forth a thunderous blast, and its hail of swan-shot and sangranel tore the two Ogre to pieces, leaving them as lifeless, steaming mounds of bloodied flesh. Perhaps hoping to be as lucky both Bolt Throwers now shot at the Slavegiant, but only one hit, which was not enough to fell such a monster.
     Now Agrabog launched his charge up the hill, him and his Ironguts smashing into the Ironbreakers. He knew that if his warriors were to break out of the valley then he had to push the Dwarfen Lord and his Bodyguard aside. While he did so, the rest of his left wing did what they could to advance and the Butchers attempted to bolster their Lord’s fighting ability with magic. They failed, for once again the Dwarven ability to quell magic proved unbeatable.

The dwarves were not so good at resisting bullets, however, and six Thunderers were killed when the surviving pair of Leadbelchers gave fire. Whilst they did so, the Gnoblars to the right of them continued their foolhardy advance and the previously shamed Bulls tried to catch up from the rear. 

The real battle was going on upon the hill between the two valleys. Agrabog and his Ironguts crushed one Ironbreaker with the force of their charge alone, but Agrabog could not (5 Str 7 Attacks) wound Lord Strumbrow, such was the strength of his mundane and magical protection. Even the Ironguts (10 attacks) could only slay one dwarf. Lord Sturmbrow proved to be a mighty warrior indeed and laid into Agrabog with such skill and strength that the Tyrant felt more than stung as a result (3 wounds). Nevertheless, even though they had been outmatched in the charge and the challenge, the Ironguts stood their ground. They were (almost) certain that they would punch through soon, just not as quickly as they had thought they might.

Part two to follow soon. But here I have to say two things:

* Thanks for all the thanks.
* Anyone want to change their guess at this stage?

Offline Dunrik

• Members
  • Alexander von Wolfenberg
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »

Heh, noticed it too now. Wow makes me glad I only skim over that forum and prefer it here.  :-)

Common Padre what's keeping you! The suspense is killing me.  :wink:
Once it wasn't like that. The beardlings of today, no respect *grumble* :wink:
RIP Rufas/Ironmonger

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks."
Napoleon Bonaparte

My blog, http://wolfenbergtimes.blogspot.com/

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 02:02:36 PM »
I've still got my quiz head on, so I'm sticking with the Ogres!

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »
I would say High Elves win as it doesn´t matter which army prevails there are less enemies in the world after it.

(I still go with the ogres as I think you are smirking right now and already think that those who loose hope with the ogres will soon learn the better of it).

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 03:07:30 PM »
Thanks Padre! Indeed a wonderful report, again.

Go Ogres! They're the underdogs, so I'm shouting them on as well.  :wink:
cisse

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »
Well I must say that no one told me that most of the Dwarfs had been issued blank charges and rubber darts.  (What are those thunderers on the right doing?) Still the Old Ones are ancient allies of men.  Fight on Dwarfs!

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
Well I must say that no one told me that most of the Dwarfs had been issued blank charges and rubber darts.  (What are those thunderers on the right doing?) Still the Old Ones are ancient allies of men.  Fight on Dwarfs!

On the dwarves right?

They are doing ok, doesnt say in the report but they did take some wounds of the Tyrants posse. But we also decided it was dead ground in front of the smaller hill in front of them, that they couldnt see due to slopes/elevation etc.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 05:18:33 PM »
Ah,  poor blighters.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »
What are those thunderers on the right doing
They are doing ok, doesnt say in the report but they did take some wounds of the Tyrants posse.

I did see that bit in my handwritten (well, scribbled) notes, but thought "Hey! No-one will mind if I miss some of the minor details out!" Trust me to get it wrong!!