home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 86913 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #400 on: March 23, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Interesting. I personally HATED them as a child. But I hated a lot or required reading in English classes. Might be good reading as an adult to capture childhood memories and especially if you have kids thinking about them in such mischief. But as a child, it was not my cup of tea.
I remember hating pretty much everything I had to read too. I got so sick of Hatchet [after having to read and dissect it three years in a row] I never wished to see it again. I got so sick of Enders game in the last year of high school I considered Orson Scott Card the lowest lifeform on the planet at one point.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #401 on: March 23, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »
Interesting. I personally HATED them as a child. But I hated a lot or required reading in English classes. Might be good reading as an adult to capture childhood memories and especially if you have kids thinking about them in such mischief. But as a child, it was not my cup of tea.

I loved them. I will definitely read them to my kids, one day.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #402 on: March 23, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
I actually really liked Hatchet in 7th grade.  The teacher was so surprised by the class's adoration for the book, that he got the sequel on tape and played it for the class since we couldn't get everyone a book.

I had to read and dissect MacBeth 4 times (9th-12th grade!) that when we started doing Shakespear senior year (12th), our teacher said "Alright class, we're going to read 2 Shakespeare plays.  Othello, and..."
"Please not Macbeth!" I spoke out.
She looked at me curiously, "uh, one of them is Macbeth..."
"Awe man, can I just like take a test on it and skip it? I've read it every year for English for the past 3 years!"
"Sorry, you have to follow along."
"hrmph"

That aside, It is probably my favorite Shakespeare play, I just don't want to read it ever again.  The funny thing is, everyone else in my class had not read it yet, so guess who everyone wanted to team up with during group assignments? 

Our group was told to do a research assignment on castles.  A few of my team mates were really good at video editing (mind you this was 2004!) so we did a film project.  We filmed some footage at Fort Washington since its the closest thing we had to a castle near by to use for shots.  One of the group members had a crazy idea of dressing up as a deviled egg and running at the fort wall and throwing himself on the wall as a means to defeat the castle.  We filmed the whole thing, even had a lead up to it of a girl in our group dressed as a princess and yours truly as a sword wielding energetic general screaming "Send in the Deviled Eggs!" The Devil Egg group member, Ryan, ran down the hill and 2 paces from the fort wall (during editing they played some heavy metal in the background as he screamed his battle cry during the whole run), faux tripped and acted like he scraped his knee, doing the family guy bit seen here.  He then picked himself up and limped over to the fort wall and threw himself against it.

Another part of the video talked about how the Hittites were the first known to build walls around their cities.  The thing is the group members were convinced it was pronounced Hit-tittes rather than hit-tite-s.  So we got our head shaved group member ,Scooter, to wear a stuffed bra and I ran into frame and slapped his boob and giggled off screen. It then cut back to Scooter saying "no, not those hit-tittes, the Hittittes were a blah blah blah." It went over well in class.

And the final crazy thing we did was show a beheading by having one person (someone who wasn't even in our class anymore) dress up as an executioner with a dragon axe he got from the Renaissance faire.  Ryan then put a hoodie on and placed his head on a stump.  We played some creepy medival monk chanting music a shot reverse shot of them before having him scoot his head into his hoodie and placing a pumpkin where is head was and then performing the execution by cutting the dragon axe into the pumpkin.

We got an A+ on the project and the teacher started referring to us as the crazy castle group.  It was good times.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
I got so sick of Enders game in the last year of high school I considered Orson Scott Card the lowest lifeform on the planet at one point.
That's funny, I loved Ender's Game so much I read it several times! It wasn't an assignment though. I have assigned myself books to read for role-playing games and war games (I read a lot of books on the Italian Renaissance for my current campaign, and once I read Edgar Rice Burroughs' At the Earth's Core whilst painting the monsters and 15mm figures I would need for the scenario I was basing around it) and my life revolves around reading self-assigned history books.

The Edgar Rice Burroughs scenario, which was for the role playing game Space 1889, was written before the internet. I had no idea there was so many other books set in the world of Pellucidar and I am glad that was the case otherwise I would have felt obliged to read several severalmore of those books.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2018, 12:02:44 PM »
I got so sick of Enders game in the last year of high school I considered Orson Scott Card the lowest lifeform on the planet at one point.
That's funny, I loved Ender's Game so much I read it several times! It wasn't an assignment though. I have assigned myself books to read for role-playing games and war games (I read a lot of books on the Italian Renaissance for my current campaign, and once I read Edgar Rice Burroughs' At the Earth's Core whilst painting the monsters and 15mm figures I would need for the scenario I was basing around it) and my life revolves around reading self-assigned history books.

The Edgar Rice Burroughs scenario, which was for the role playing game Space 1889, was written before the internet. I had no idea there was so many other books set in the world of Pellucidar and I am glad that was the case otherwise I would have felt obliged to read several severalmore of those books.
My hatred for it developed over having to read it over and over again and write countless essays and papers on it

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
I liked Ender's Game but I'm not fond of the author or his other books. All his protagonist feel like the exact same character. Super smart kid who's automatically better at everything then everyone else. It was fun in Ender's Game but he kind of doubled down on it in others. One of his others books I read recently {Gate something} also had annoying female characters. Every one of them could stop talking about how in love they were with the main character and how they couldn't wait to have his babies. It was like multiple paragraphs of fangirl monologue.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
My wife is reading the Harry Potter series.

I just started rereading The Hobbit. Gosh those movies were terrible.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
My wife is reading the Harry Potter series.

I just started rereading The Hobbit. Gosh those movies were terrible.

I thought the first Harry Potter movie was magical.  The rest of the series I didn’t mind either but the hobbit I could have lived without.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #408 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:08 PM »
Still haven't watched the Hobbit movies, and I have no intention to.

At first I was excited. Then I heard that they would make it a trilogy, which made me go "uh oh...". And then statements were released to the tune of "it was turned into a trilogy to account of the richness of the material". Which gave off such a strong whiff of bullshit that I decided to abstain for e bit and see what people thought. And from everything I was told and the clips I've seen, I haven't missed anything. Except the chance to see my childhood gateway to fantasy being shit on from a very great height.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2018, 12:05:56 AM »
At first I was excited. Then I heard that they would make it a trilogy, which made me go "uh oh...". And then statements were released to the tune of "it was turned into a trilogy to account of the richness of the material". Which gave off such a strong whiff of bullshit that I decided to abstain for e bit and see what people thought.

When it was at two movies and the 'richness of material' bit I was fine, being that from the beginning they stated that the LotR appendix on Dwarves was fair game for the license. It was the move to three that made me iffy and I never managed to watch them in the theater, did however rent them on Amazon. They were meh with the first being of course the best as it had the least crap tacked on to it.

The biggest shame is that even with the Dwarf part for the back of LotR they completely mucked up the whole Goblin Wars stuff. Why not have the bit about crazy Thror wondering into Moria and his head being tossed out carved with the name Azog. Why then keep Azog around since he wasn't even as interesting as the books (and he really is just a bad guy name there) when you take out this material?
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2018, 02:33:29 AM »
They could have made a really awesome movie on the Goblin Wars. It could have been part two of three to break up the quest adventure and really add some good back story to stuff.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2018, 03:15:04 AM »
I love picking on the Hobbit movies and I'll use any excuse to do it

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2018, 10:05:35 AM »
me too, jesus christ they were fucking terrible.

It scares me what netflix are going to do with the new LotR rights.

I like re-reading the hobbit because it only takes a few hours!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
They could have made a really awesome movie on the Goblin Wars.

Yeah. That's seriously badass Dwarf material. Have your dads head tossed at you insulted as a beggar. Sit stone faced forever contemplating this, stand up with a "this cannot be borne", go around and forge alliances and call in favours to initiate a genocidal war to avenge the slight, just to be able to stuff the bag of wooden coins right back down the original perpetrators gullet. That's so quintessentially Dwarven it makes me smile every time.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #414 on: March 28, 2018, 12:06:45 PM »
I only saw the first one in the cinema. Decided not to bother with 2 and 3.

There was something off about the entire production. The look and feel was significantly different from that of LOTR, which looked earthy and believable apart from a couple of scenes. It's like the film had a strange, glossy, oversaturated CGI filter to it, like looking at a mix between the Star Wars prequels and 300.

48 fps didn't do any favours for it either - it made it look like consumer camera footage or a cheap soap opera. Although that's probably just me being conditioned by years of low film framerates.

Edit: Forgot this was the book thread, wanted to join in on the Hobbit bashing.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #415 on: March 28, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
The 3rd Hobbitt movie was an amazing Warhammer movie.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #416 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:39 PM »
Yeah. That's seriously badass Dwarf material. Have your dads head tossed at you insulted as a beggar. Sit stone faced forever contemplating this, stand up with a "this cannot be borne", go around and forge alliances and call in favours to initiate a genocidal war to avenge the slight, just to be able to stuff the bag of wooden coins right back down the original perpetrators gullet. That's so quintessentially Dwarven it makes me smile every time.

Exactly, hence why I thought at first when they were talking two films and the appendix you could get some pretty good films that tonally would have fit with the LotR movies.

Shame it came out such a mess not matching either the text it was taken from nor the feel of LotR (film and books).

No to steer this back toward the threads intended purpose, I always felt a bit of shame for not reading The Hobbit until I was 13. I'd watched the cartoon version since very early childhood but never bothered with the book. It also wasn't as if I didn't read much as a child either I just tended to read books on history/historical things or lots of stuff on Dinosaurs. I remember loathing much of the fiction one gets to read in upper grade school so perhaps that colored my reading preferences.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:44:48 PM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #417 on: March 28, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
me too, jesus christ they were fucking terrible.

It scares me what netflix are going to do with the new LotR rights.

I like re-reading the hobbit because it only takes a few hours!

I'm still pissed off that I've watched these movies. They were absolutely shitty.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
The 3rd Hobbitt movie was an amazing Warhammer movie.
billy connoly and his war pig.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #419 on: April 23, 2018, 01:42:32 AM »
Havn’t posted for a bit. This is strange but I find I’ve been reading some 40k stuff.
Lukas the Trickster - josh Reynolds - very enjoyable. Anything space Wolf is.
Charachodons - The Outer Dark - Robbie Mcniven - nice book on exile chapters
Ferrus Manus - Gorgon of Medusa - liked it but it took a long time to read
Mercy - Danie Ware - sisters short.
Dragon Rampant rules - very cool.
Legacy of Dorn - Mike Lee - currently reading and completely loving it. Crimson Fist action on Rynnsworld from a different perspective.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #420 on: April 23, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »
When LotRs came out, I loved them.  When I heard stories about poor production for The Hobbit, and the idea it was being made into a trilogy, I completely skipped going to see them and still haven't.  Won't.  I have no desire to ruin my reading of the book when I was a youngster, and hope to enjoy reading it again some day.  Along with the LotRs trilogy again as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #421 on: April 23, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
I must admit, I teared up a little (with joy) when watching the first Hobbit movie quote verbatim the book at the beginning.  The first one wasn't bad (IMHO). The second movie strayed off the path once they ran into the elves (also thought Beorn looked too much like the wolf man) but dealt with the talking spiders cleverly.  Never saw the third.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2018, 02:10:59 PM »
Just finished Crusade for Armageddon and Storm of Iron. Halfway through Angels of darkness.

The books I scored at the charity shop were the following:

Cadian blood, Execution hour, Blades of chaos, Savage city, Death & dishonour, Empire in chaos, Runefang, The dead and the damned, Crusade for Armageddon, Storm of iron, Blood for the blood god, Hammers of Ulric, Honourkepper, Sigvald, Heart of chaos, Claws of chaos, Galaxy in flames, Rouge star Iron hands, Lords of the night, Innocence proves nothing, Blood gorgons, Scourge of the heretic AND Flesh & iron. 

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #423 on: April 23, 2018, 02:17:32 PM »
What a score!👆
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #424 on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:55 PM »
Just finished Crusade for Armageddon and Storm of Iron. Halfway through Angels of darkness.

The books I scored at the charity shop were the following:

Cadian blood, Execution hour, Blades of chaos, Savage city, Death & dishonour, Empire in chaos, Runefang, The dead and the damned, Crusade for Armageddon, Storm of iron, Blood for the blood god, Hammers of Ulric, Honourkepper, Sigvald, Heart of chaos, Claws of chaos, Galaxy in flames, Rouge star Iron hands, Lords of the night, Innocence proves nothing, Blood gorgons, Scourge of the heretic AND Flesh & iron.

What a haul! How much did you paid for that collection?

Gneisenau