home

Author Topic: Happy and Random Thoughts!  (Read 855480 times)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Happy and Random Thoughts!
« Reply #8775 on: June 29, 2018, 05:01:09 PM »
I have a 1903 copy of Schwab's Die Deutschen Volksbücher (German Folktales), which I had to repair, because the spine had come off. As usual, the backing material consists of discarded pages from another book (this already happened in the Middle Ages), and it had some verses on it. I looked them up, and they turned out to be a German translation of a work by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Now, the name did mean anything to me, and I looked him up too: he was a 19th century English novelist, poet, playwright and politician, who coined many a phrase that is still popular today, like "the great unwashed", "pursuit of the almighty dollar", and in partiuclar: "the pen is mightier than the sword."  He is is also the author of the much-parodied opening line "It was a dark and stormy night." You learn every day.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8776 on: June 29, 2018, 10:55:59 PM »
I have a 1903 copy of Schwab's Die Deutschen Volksbücher (German Folktales), which I had to repair, because the spine had come off. As usual, the backing material consists of discarded pages from another book (this already happened in the Middle Ages), and it had some verses on it. I looked them up, and they turned out to be a German translation of a work by Edward Bulwer-Lytton. Now, the name did mean anything to me, and I looked him up too: he was a 19th century English novelist, poet, playwright and politician, who coined many a phrase that is still popular today, like "the great unwashed", "pursuit of the almighty dollar", and in partiuclar: "the pen is mightier than the sword."  He is is also the author of the much-parodied opening line "It was a dark and stormy night." You learn every day.

oh wow  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #8777 on: June 30, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »
:icon_cool: :::cheers::: :icon_biggrin:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8778 on: June 30, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
That's pretty awesome Fidelis!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8779 on: June 30, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
Thank you. Of course, without the internet I could never have found where those lines came from. It is a truly amazing invention, which we take too easily for granted.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8780 on: July 01, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
And the final round:

Not familiar with the world cup.  Is the next stage still best of 3 or is it one game elimination?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8781 on: July 01, 2018, 03:40:51 PM »
HAPPY CANADA DAY EVERYONE!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #8782 on: July 01, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
Not familiar with the world cup.  Is the next stage still best of 3 or is it one game elimination?

One game elimination.

If after 90 minutes there's no winner the game is extended by 2 x 15 minutes. If there is still no winner it goes to penalties, with each team getting 5 of them. If it's still equal after those 10, then each team keeps getting another go until at last one team has a higher score.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8783 on: July 02, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
I binge watched the entire second season of GLOW. 'The good twin' was probably one of the silliest things I have ever seen but I liked it anyway.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8784 on: July 02, 2018, 06:46:39 PM »

So what are you doing for Canada day
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8785 on: July 02, 2018, 07:06:10 PM »

So what are you doing for Canada day

Hiding in an air condititioned hovel riding out the heat wave.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8786 on: July 03, 2018, 02:37:12 AM »
I spent the whole day inside trying not to melt. The AC doesn't work well, so it was 32 degrees inside and 35/37 outside.

Tried to do some painting and the heat would crack and dry the paint after a few minutes.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8787 on: July 04, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8788 on: July 04, 2018, 04:18:36 AM »
I just found a lovely video about English Civil War arms and armor.  Its a quick and short video but still fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X62qL5E2NHc
― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8789 on: July 04, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »

Frick colombia, bunch of cheating b-words. Have some of that.

Fully expecting England to now lose to entirely average Sweden, given the rest of the nation has us in the final already.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #8790 on: July 04, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »

Frick colombia, bunch of cheating b-words. Have some of that.

Fully expecting England to now lose to entirely average Sweden, given the rest of the nation has us in the final already.

Probably losing with a penalty series again.. just to keep the trauma alive  :engel:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8791 on: July 04, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »
My son cheered the Colombia goal as he wanted penalties.

The innocence of youth.

Pass the machete.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #8792 on: July 04, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »
The cartoon for the Colombia-England matchup is just wrong.  I'm not saying England were completely innocent, but the fact that a swathe of folks think that somehow they cheated there way to victory is ludicrous.  Colombia was so chippy and dirty it was unbelievable.  If they actually played they could've won.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8793 on: July 05, 2018, 03:31:07 AM »
I spent the whole day inside trying not to melt. The AC doesn't work well, so it was 32 degrees inside and 35/37 outside.

Tried to do some painting and the heat would crack and dry the paint after a few minutes.

Heat waves? that's weird … I thought it was frosty all the time  :unsure:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8794 on: July 05, 2018, 04:01:05 AM »
32. That's nothing. During summer in my town it can reach 47

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8795 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »

Heat waves? that's weird … I thought it was frosty all the time  :unsure:

Global warming yo! Also, normally we have four actual seasons. Although for the past few years its more like two. Really Cold Time, and Really Hot Time.

32. That's nothing. During summer in my town it can reach 47

Just remembering that Australia exists make me feel hot. I want my Tundra and cold, none of this heat stuff.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #8796 on: July 05, 2018, 06:25:53 PM »
Just sitting here celebrating the 4th of July or ( WE KICKED YOUR BUTT DAY) I will not mentions any names  :smile2: watching my neighbor blow stuff up!! glorious  :closed-eyes:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8797 on: July 05, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »
Pretty cool speech by Gordon sincaire in 1973. Seems like things haven’t changed to much. Or should I say I don’t really disagree with where some of today’s sentiment comes from. Both of our leaders have extremely thin skin when it comes to criticism. We should forget them and remember what our common interests are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_okAgAUGE
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:01:37 PM by Artobans Ghost »
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #8798 on: July 05, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
Just sitting here celebrating the 4th of July or ( WE KICKED YOUR BUTT DAY) I will not mentions any names  :smile2: watching my neighbor blow stuff up!! glorious  :closed-eyes:

― Jake the Dog

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #8799 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:23 AM »
football is back! I felt so deprived 2 days without any.

Pass the machete.