home

Author Topic: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!  (Read 245855 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Game of Thrones - Here be spoilers!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2800 on: May 27, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »
Character I most wanted to punch in the face by the end: Greyworm.
Same. Considering he's going to Naath, all the unsullied are dead. Jono could have just stayed anywhere.

??
His second (or whatever) in command said the army was all boarded to Greyworm, and then Greyworm said to sail off to Naath.. not sure what to do there. and the unsullied were arrayed at that square (with dany's speach) with the hundreds still (somehow it felt the unsullied became bigger and bigger after the winterfell batlle)

Unless you're from Naath, you will die from butterfly fever.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Butterfly_fever

Ergo, Greyworm and the unsullied are dead in quite the gruesome manner before Jon makes it to the wall let alone take the oath again.

Ah didn't get that referance before, tnx
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2801 on: May 27, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
The problem with the later Daenerys storyline (and most of the lat season) is that it rushed a ton of character development into far too little time.

Dany wanted to fly off the handle plenty times before while in Essos, she was only restrained by wise council, which she was willing to follow at that time.

That said, her snapping at that moment made no sense indeed. It would have needed an actual trigger.

I don't know about that. 2 of the 3 cities in Essos she "conquered" had the people turn on the rulers (arguably 3 if you include when she purchased the unsullied) and gave the city to her. This one did not.  Not to mentioned how emo she'd been up to that point that no one here (Westeros) likes her and everyone likes her hot nephew better.  Jon has rejected her romantic advances, her hand has been wrong over and over again causing significant failures, her spymaster has betrayed her and tried to assassinate her, now she's lost her best friend and her second scaly child.  If she was a typical suburban mom she would have beheaded the manager and burned down the store and then go on to give a horrible review of the place on her mommy facebook group.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2802 on: June 02, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »

This sums up most of my opinions on season 8... in parody form.  :engel:

https://youtu.be/jAhKOV3nImQ

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2803 on: June 02, 2019, 06:55:04 PM »

Seen it already and it's brilliant.  :biggriin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2804 on: June 04, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
I've just finished season 7 and thought it was absolutely fucking terrible.

So many beats just seem so off. Arya and Sansa conflict. the entire wight plan. the dany and jon romance.

Not looking forward to season 8 and I would happily stop, but the wife wants to continue.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2805 on: June 04, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
But wasn't the Arya Sansa conflict turned by them quite quickly into a ruse between them to draw out Littlefinger?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2806 on: June 04, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »
But wasn't the Arya Sansa conflict turned by them quite quickly into a ruse between them to draw out Littlefinger?
There was a cut scene where Bran filled them in on what Littlefinger has done and was doing to them. Should have kept it in IMHO
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2807 on: June 05, 2019, 02:35:50 AM »

Love the Pitch meetings series. Ryan George is hilarious.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2808 on: June 05, 2019, 03:42:37 AM »
There was a cut scene where Bran filled them in on what Littlefinger has done and was doing to them. Should have kept it in IMHO

This is breaking the huge showing not telling rules for anything filmed. Sure it works as an idea, being that they seemed to have no idea of what to do with Bran and that, but the Littlefinger death was so cheap. The real right answer was film it from say Littlefingers perspective and then the sting that they got him out of Sansa and Arya having become less naive characters would have been best. That is the proper way to deliver such surprises not this bullshit one. Season 6 to the end is a hell of tobaggon ride , with which there is so little defense for. Plot overtakes character and the 'talking' bits which used to be the paramount moments of GoT are covered up with spectacle. After sometime to ruminate on it I disliked season 7 but loathe season 8 since it dialed up 7's problems to eleven, mixing a few good moments to make you forget that in long stretches this was just so poorly done.

Sure it was a great shut your brain off and enjoy sort of show to the end but that was not the show I wanted to watch.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2809 on: June 05, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
season 7 is really bad.

Seaosn 8 episode 1 and 2 are decent, better than anything in s7, but obviously the ending of s8 is dodgy, so will have to judge it when i finish watching.

the whole sansa/arya/baelish thing is just a perfect microcosm. I can see the general strands of that playing out in the books.

but the execution is so poor. Arya literally threatens to kill Sansa, when they are alone (ie, not performative to "sting" Baelish), and the sting is entirely unnecessary when they could just grab him at any point without the "oh I'm going to charge Arya, SYKE, IT'S BAELISH" swerve, thrown into the TV just to the writers can pull a "gotcha" on the audience.

the presentation of Bran is also REALLY BAD. Not sure if he's a terrible actor, or just really badly written, or both.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2810 on: June 05, 2019, 04:58:17 PM »
the presentation of Bran is also REALLY BAD. Not sure if he's a terrible actor, or just really badly written, or both.

Don’t expect that to change. :unsure:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2811 on: June 05, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »
I forgot how dumb the Fleet ambush scene was.

Why didn't dany use the cover of the mountains to burninate the fleet?

Pass the machete.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2812 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:10 PM »
Wow the scene to choose bran was way worse than the dany heel turn.

And the composition of the small council was fan service tastic.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2813 on: June 05, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »
So your saying Bronn the fairly random sell sword would not be your first choice as the guy to run the entire treasury AND be put in charge of one of the most important province/kingdoms?

Color me shocked to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2814 on: June 06, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
HE LOVES MONEY WOT A GR8 ACCNTANT.

bran, choosing his small council.

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2815 on: June 06, 2019, 10:18:40 AM »
Ah ... but ... Bran has something no-one choosing a council has ever had: He's seen everything just like us fans have seen everything. He's seen exactly what people have done, and has the same insight into them, that we have. There's every episode and more in his head, and he doesn't have to pay subscription. Why do you think he looks so 'out of it' all the time?

If we are fans of the people on that council, then he is probably also.

Thus the council.

The fans' council is Bran's Council.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2816 on: June 06, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »
I found episode 6 more annoying than ep5 and Dany going mad queen. at least there was some build up to that it just felt a bit rushed. So much of ep6 was just batshit.

Grey worm is executing defenceless surrended lannisters in the street- we're meant to believe they wouldn't have just insantly killed Jon as soon as he left throne room?

Pass the machete.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2817 on: June 06, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
But Bronn threatened to kill Tyrion & Jaime with a crossbow in Winterfell if he didn't get what he wanted. There's absolutely no other option out of that carefully crafted trap than to give in... :icon_rolleyes:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2818 on: June 06, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
I could JUST ABOUT tolerate Tyrion giving him highgarden. Afterall, a Lannister pays his debts.

but Master of coin was too far.

Pass the machete.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2819 on: June 06, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »
Grey worm is executing defenceless surrended lannisters in the street- we're meant to believe they wouldn't have just insantly killed Jon as soon as he left throne room?

That is a gloriously awful unfilmed scene as Jon strides over to Greyworm all sad and states "I killed muh qween", then some shots of faces emoting because more dialog would be hard to write, and then he puts him in chains.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2820 on: June 06, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »
Don't forget that the dragon helpfully removed all evidence of the assassination when it flew off with her. Which means Good Boi Jon 100% confessed to it the moment he saw Grey Worm or anyone else.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2821 on: June 06, 2019, 03:44:38 PM »
What about Jon's character presentation do you think shows he wouldn't confess? That I have no problem with, he'd definitely confess.
He can't even lie to Cersei about staying neutral after NK is dead, he definitely wouldn't lie about killing his aunt the woman he loved.

Pass the machete.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2822 on: June 07, 2019, 12:22:30 AM »
What about Jon's character presentation do you think shows he wouldn't confess? That I have no problem with, he'd definitely confess.
He can't even lie to Cersei about staying neutral after NK is dead, he definitely wouldn't lie about killing his aunt the woman he loved.

I completely agree he confessed, it just doesn't sit well how after said confession he would be arrested and not executed on the spot. I mean we go from Greyworm murdering prisoners on as far as we can tell assumed "kill them all" orders to an off screen Greyworm that, taking into account the large political ramifications, doesn't execute Jon on the spot and kicks it up the chain for someone else to figure out.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #2823 on: June 07, 2019, 01:03:27 AM »

I completely agree he confessed, it just doesn't sit well how after said confession he would be arrested and not executed on the spot. I mean we go from Greyworm murdering prisoners on as far as we can tell assumed "kill them all" orders to an off screen Greyworm that, taking into account the large political ramifications, doesn't execute Jon on the spot and kicks it up the chain for someone else to figure out.

That does make at least a little sense. He's a brainwashed & conditioned soldier. He killed the Lannisters on Danys diect orders. He has no one in authority, so.... yes, he kicks it up to the Council of Characters Who Are Still Alive. He's a leader in the sense that he leads the Unsullied, but not in terms of being a decision maker.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2824 on: June 07, 2019, 02:01:35 AM »
That does make at least a little sense. He's a brainwashed & conditioned soldier. He killed the Lannisters on Danys diect orders. He has no one in authority, so.... yes, he kicks it up to the Council of Characters Who Are Still Alive. He's a leader in the sense that he leads the Unsullied, but not in terms of being a decision maker.

I sort of get that but again there were not really direct orders really, we don't see it, Greyworm either infers it from the burninating or it was conveyed off screen. One can also read that if Dany breaks and starts murdering Greyworm wants in for his own personal vengeance as well, which defeats the brainwashed/conditioned bits. I mean if say she had a few guards with her in the throne room when Jon goes all stabby they would jump to kill him. Then Drogon is going in so the Unsullied would defer to son's vengeance. Drogon then burninates the throne instead, since dragons are very good with symbolism, and flies off leaving the Unsullied that beat point to contemplate why to do next and if they kill Jon or not.

I don't know it just was just done so poorly.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan